Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

AOA

INTJf weight loss club!

1,484 posts in this topic

No, I can't at my gym, sadly. I have seen them at other gyms though. I wonder if they'd find it odd if I bought some larger diameter small weights and brought them with me :laugh: I may try the stacking under the bar.

7 minutes ago, desuntcetera said:

No, I can't at my gym, sadly. I have seen them at other gyms though. I wonder if they'd find it odd if I bought some larger diameter small weights and brought them with me :laugh: I may try the stacking under the bar.

usually not allowed bc it would be a liability.

2 hours ago, desuntcetera said:

Part of the issue is with deadlifts- I use pretty small weights with the bar right now and because it then sits so much lower to the ground my form suffers near the bottom. Any tips for that?

just stack a few plates under each side, that's what everyone does

Oh yeah when I first started back up my heavy DL set was only 130 so my warm-ups were with as low as a 25 on each side. I stacked 1 or 2 plates (can't remember which) on each side so the bar started higher.

Even still with my deadlift heavy set of 305 my first warm-up set is only 120, which only allows for a 35 on each side. I don't raise this one, though, because it's so light I guess that the differential doesn't really bother me. And I'm too lazy and it's already draining enough loading and de-loading the bar. But with a 25 on each side for sure you need to raise the bar somehow. You'll get used to it. I like to align the plates on the barbell with the center holes in the floor plates so that when I raised and lowered the barbell they would (somewhat) fit into the holes and keep it somewhat steady. I hate anything that is mentally distracting during a set and try to minimize that as much as possible.

today's weight: 118.4lbs

I am glad it's this low because I pigged out on Sat (all you can eat pizza buffet for brunch and Red Robin burger for dinner). 

That's like a 100 pound loss man, congrats!

My workout today sucked. I simply am not getting enough sleep and that's all on me.

Weight: 202.1. The good news is my weight has seemed to remain steady at 202 for quite a while after my initial Creatine gain. It's weird because that's the exact weight I was at 2 years ago when lifting heavy.

Squats

3x3x245 Failure. Blah. I will probably do some chins later and grip stuff. Even though I've got bench tomorrow I think I'll be OK. I just barely failed it last time so I think I'll be alright.

I just realized that I typoed my weight from yesterday. should have been 218.4lbs :facepalm:

I also went and fucked up my diet by having a late high protein dinner. 

Today's weight 221.4 lbs

Inactivity, overeating, and drinking for three weeks straight has only set me back three pounds! That is my Christmas miracle. Back to my three miles a day and regular eating routine tomorrow. We'll see if that'll be enough to bring me back down in a month or so. I have noticed a significant decrease in my leg strength after having sat on my ass over the holiday's though.

In other news, I'm trying to help my SO come up with a workout plan that he will stick to. He doesn't have an athletic background and is trying to learn how to workout while having multiple sclerosis. Lots of sources point out the importance of frequent, moderate mental and physical exercise in offsetting the progression of MS, so finding balance in the intensity is important. He's on excellent medication that keeps him functioning mostly normally, but overdoing it might trigger a flare up. His doc has been very vague about what "moderate" means because everyone responds to the disease, medication, and exercise differently. 

He's a skinny "ectomorph" that chronically under-eats, so weight loss isn't a concern, just strength training and general athletic ability to help maintain those neural connections. He's also not a guy who enjoys the gym environment or playing traditional sports. He also seems uninterested in martial arts (my go-to athletic activity) or things like rock climbing. Did anyone else struggle with finding a way to enjoy working out while knowing that it was extremely important for your health? Any tips/ideas on getting him into a routine or finding another activity? 

@Paloma when I had access to a swimming pool I use to just swim laps. This helped with my cardio and some muscle development and it was not to stressful on my body. Might work for him (depending on his limitations) to workout without going "overboard" trying to hit that magical yet vague "moderate" level workout.

There are other workouts that can be down in the pool if swimming is not his thing. (Alternative pool workouts)

Edited by El Cas

Would something like jumproping be helpful for him?  It's cheap, easy, quick, and can be done anywhere. Though depending on his athletic ability and coordination this might not be the easiest exercise - I don't know. I don't even though if that's considered moderate as it gets my heart beating really fast really quickly - though I must weigh significantly more than him.

EDIT:

Weight 203.1 duration: 35 mins.

Bench press

3x5x207.5 Personal Record. I attempted 6 reps on final set but only got 5.5. Last workout my lift-off at the beginning of each set took a lot out of me so today I had my wife help me with the lift-off and ZOMG so much fucking better. I looked around online and it seems most guys start requiring a bench lift-off in the 200-220 range so I suppose this is pretty normal and will probably have to be standard from now on. Will attempt 210 next time. I think I might do some chins and forearm stuff later tonight pretty hard then take tomorrow as a complete off day before deadlift and probably overhead press on Thursday.

EDIT: Some added chins (not many - maybe around 20?) then grip stuff just now for a half-hour. ~8,352 ft-lb of force

Edited by INTJoe

Today's weight 220.4 lbs

I had to make another notch in my belt so I am guessing that this weight plateau is probably due to my body losing fat and gaining some muscle. So I am not to upset that I will not on track for my milestone. I still need to stop having those late high protein dinner no matter how tasty they can be. :p

How closely are you tracking your calories? It might be a good time to tighten things up again.

Some what tightly.

When I stick to my diet (M-F) I have about 1200-1500 calories. 75-80g of protein, some sugar (got to have my can or two of soda, bad habit I know). On the weekends I don't track per say I just guesstimate where I am at in my daily total and limit the amount of carbs I eat.

My problem is mostly caving into temptation. You know  when someone offers free tasty food or some decides to bring in white chocolate (my weakness) covered chex mix in the office for everyone to enjoy. I know I need to be strong and resist for the sake of my milestones but made it's hard to say no at times. Specially when they are within smelling distance or in my line of sight.

No offense but 1200-1500 calories is pretty dangerously low for you especially if you're working out on top of that and are not obese... you aren't even eating at your BMR and will crash your metabolism if you keep that up. I'm 5'4" 147lbs and I eat 1500 bare minimum and am losing weight. You'll lose weight fast, sure, but you will plateau and eventually eat it all back due to your body feeling like it is starving. That is why you aren't able to sustain at that level and end up with crazy cravings. Not to mention you are burning both muscle and fat, so you will not look as toned as you continue to lose weight.

I'd recommend using this calculator to get a better grasp on what your calories and macros should be at for a reasonable fat loss level that will be sustainable over a longer period:

Calories & Macros Calculator

I'd also recommend you emphasize weightlifting to maintain as much muscle mass as possible going forward.

I'd agree with kfarb.

If you up your calories, up your protein (you should probably be in the 100-150g range I'd guess), eliminate the sugar sodas, and don't cave into the office junk you'll be right back on track imo.

I know it's all hard but you've done really well and if you periodically audit yourself and keep tightening things up every once in a while you'll stay on track. The sugar sodas are really terrible, though. There's just no room in a cut for sugar sodas. I am addicted to caffeine and have been for many years but I manage to drink sugar-free, calorie-free caffeinated sodas to get by.

Edited by INTJoe

So I checked out the site and it states that my BMR is 1839 calories. So basically I have been running at a 340 - 600 calorie deficit.

So I'll probably start having dinner that is high in protein and raise my intake to 1700ish (1760 according to the site for an reckless approach). Hopefully this plus my simple exercises I am doing will be enough to help me continue to lose weight without making my body plateau or risk falling into starvation mode.

As for the soda, I normally drink sugar free/diet but according to what I read, drinking more than two has about the same effect as drinking sugar (which is why I tend to only drink two cans at the most a day). I know I should stop completely but I need my caffeine fix and I don't really feel like drinking black (or sweeten with cinnamon) coffee in the middle of the day.

I will try to start lifting weights again but for now all I have been doing is high rep basic workouts (no weight squats, push ups, leg lifts, planks, etc.)

ouch my thighs are killing me! you should see me waddling up stairs. we did upper body/cardio today so that'll be killing me tomorrow. i think friday is going to be a strict cardio day for me, and then another lower body/cardio day sunday. still feels great, and having a gym within a 5 min driving distance has made a huge difference in motivation. still eating more sugar than we were pre-christmas but that'll keep going down the more we work out. i find that healthy eating tends to follow regular exercise in my case (and we are eating mostly healthy things, just also eating sugary snacks occasionally).

4 hours ago, El Cas said:

So I checked out the site and it states that my BMR is 1839 calories. So basically I have been running at a 340 - 600 calorie deficit.

Your TDEE is more like 2,700. At 203 pounds my BMR is 1,886 and my TDEE is 2,758 so for me ~1lb/week of fat loss would be a total daily amount of 2,206 it says. Your number should be similar. So you probably have daily deficits as much as 1,000 calories which is a really bad idea.

It looks like you could add like 700 calories a day. With almost half that being protein, to get your protein number up higher.

Edited by INTJoe

Can someone explain what TDEE is? I went to this calculator thing and am trying to figure out what it all means. My understanding of BMR is that is the number of calories I need in a day to maintain given my usual activity level?

7997a8e7738b6f45048dbbc0f3005042.jpg

...... added to this post 3 minutes later:

Oh also I don't know what IIFYM is or if I should select something else there, again just trying to make sense of this calculator :)

On 1/10/2017 at 0:05 PM, El Cas said:

@Paloma when I had access to a swimming pool I use to just swim laps. This helped with my cardio and some muscle development and it was not to stressful on my body. Might work for him (depending on his limitations) to workout without going "overboard" trying to hit that magical yet vague "moderate" level workout.

There are other workouts that can be down in the pool if swimming is not his thing. (Alternative pool workouts)

I'll suggest it see what he thinks. Thanks!

3 hours ago, desuntcetera said:

Can someone explain what TDEE is? I went to this calculator thing and am trying to figure out what it all means. My understanding of BMR is that is the number of calories I need in a day to maintain given my usual activity level?

Oh also I don't know what IIFYM is or if I should select something else there, again just trying to make sense of this calculator :)

TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. It is equal to your BMR (basal metabolic rate, or the calories your body needs for basic functioning without taking into consideration movement) plus an estimate of how many calories you use moving throughout the day. That is why the calculator asks what your lifestyle is like (sedentary, etc) so it can use an estimate for that.

If you eat at or close to your TDEE, you should maintain your current weight (calories eaten = calories burned). If you eat at a 15-25% deficit below TDEE but still slightly above BMR, that is the optimal zone for fat loss at a healthy, sustainable rate.

IIFYM = If it fits your macros, which is a standard that a lot of people in the fitness community use - basically here are your macros for the day and eat whatever you want as long as you hit the macros. Usually means high protein macros (~1 gram per pound of body weight or of lean body mass if you know your body fat %), moderate fat macros, and whatever is left is carbs. The other options in the calculator correspond with popular diets, most of which are high protein and either low carb or low fat.

Today's weight 221.8 lbs

So my TDEE is at 2207 (No exercise) so using that number I was running 700 - 1000 calories deficit. I increased my intake of calories (hence the weight gain) so I figured I will probably be plateaued or gain a few pounds while my body adjusts back out of starvation mode and begins to lose weight and gain muscle. I will definately not meet my birthday goal but that is ok as long as I can reach it by the year mark (which would average out to ~1lb a week for a total of 53lbs loss).

Got two extra kilos from Christmas. I intend to get fit this year. Was my intention last year, but I kind of had a lazy year all round so I will try this year. I intend to start building muscle and flexiblity. I want to run marathons and swim. I went swimming a little and I was totally weak. I had weak muscle from this Christmas vacation.

My goals for this month are to start doing push ups on regular basis. As well as squats and crunches.

Start doing yoga again, but little longer than usual especially during weekends.

Perhaps find a job where I will work manually. It will probably pay still better than the job I have now.

Go swimming lot more, they built a new swimming pool few minutes away, so it will be great.

Probably go visite a gym few times during the week and weekend.

Start running on daily basis at least half an hour each day.

Improve my morning routine for exercise. I like to start getting up at 4 am and do early morning exercises. We shall see if it can be done.

I will develope a strategy for next month depending on what I can stick to this month.

@El Cas good luck! you can always readjust (either reduce calories a bit or bump up exercise) in a week or two if you aren't seeing 1-1.5 lbs/week loss.

Cas, that number sounds a lot more reasonable. Glad you found it. I am surprised my TDEE is so much higher since I'm older and lighter. I guess lifting heavy 5 days a week is worth a lot.

Cacao, welcome back. You've got a lot of good ideas going. Streamline them and come up with a plan you can stick to and you'll be off to a great start.

I finally got decent sleep last night so trying to give myself better chance to succeed at lifts. I'm going for 5x310 deadlift today. But I also took my son to the park and they had a pullup bar so I just had to show off a little doing pullups and needlessly expending energy hours prior to deadlift. :laugh:

EDIT:

Weight: 203.1 duration 40 minutes

Deadlift

5x310 PR. Felt strong on the way up but all the descents felt heavier than normal. Not sure what that means. My descents are pretty slow, though, because it's metal plates on concrete floor so maybe I need to lay some cardboard down or something which mentally might make it easier for me to descend quicker without some loud mentally distracting collision at the bottom of each rep. It would be wonderful if I got my deadlift up to 325 because then my lowest warmup set would be 130 which is a 45 on each side.

OHP

3x5x100. Felt fine again. I think I'm just going to maintain this weight.

I've only got like 9 days of CREATINE left before my bottle runs out. I might stop and cleanse for a month. Hopefully I don't lose too much strength.

Edited by INTJoe