Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

TheLastMohican

Body Type and Personality

Which one are you closest to?   200 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you closest to?

• Ectomorph
    • Ectomorph/Mesomorph
    • Mesomorph
    • Mesomorph/Endomorph
    • Endomorph

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
119 posts in this topic

I know Sheldon's theories are not very popular anymore, but I would like to see if there is any measurable correlation. The INTJ, INTP, INFP and to some extent INFJ types most resemble the "ectomorph personality." If Sheldon was right, then most people on this forum should be ectomorphs.

I am a mesomorph/endomorph mixture, and my personality is somewhere in the NT group, probably closest to INTJ.

Not really sure how to answer this. A couple of years ago I was really into running and trail running and was 155 pounds at 6'1". I got bored of that and have been into strength sports the last several years. Now I'm about 250 at the same height. Though now that I'm bored with powerlifting I'm already losing weight to pursue bouldering and martial arts this summer and will probably be 190-200 pounds by June. I really have no idea what my "natural" body type is. I do seem to have long limbs though. I have a 3.25" ape index

Here is a visual of the different types. Skinny, athletic, or plump are the different types basically.

3bodytypes.gif

^ Thanks for the pictures. :cheesy:

Mozzes, I'm not sure about the "natural" body type. Sheldon probably thought that a person would be destined to have a certain body type and personality from birth, but that's just my guess. The body types are defined more by the bone size and structure and the ease with which the person loses and gains fat or muscle than by the actual state of the body. Presumably an ectomorph could be muscular with hard work; the difference is that he would have to work harder for the same results than a mesomorph or endomorph.

I hit Ectomorph/Mesomorph while scrolling with the touchpad, but am Mesomorph/Endomorph at 6'3.5" 227 lbs. and dropping apparently.

BMI easily says overweight. I ran five days a week and deadlifted a 450 max while I weighed 250 and was "obese" which the girls didn't seem to notice.:suspicious:

Wow, what an interesting coincidence. Yesterday I was reading (but not in details) about this body shape thing in a Type Reporter back issue. Yeah, I am definitely an ectomorph.

I'd also like to mention my brother is ENTP, and he's very much ectomorphic.

I'm somewhere between mesomorph and endomorph. I'm an INTJ

My sister, an ENFJ is very much an ectomorph.

My gut reaction was to go Meso-Endo mix, but I couldn't relate to the description of having a hard time losing fat, slow metabolism, and I'm never "round", no matter how much fat I put on. So, Meso, but probably not a pure one.

Ectomorph. Working out regularly definitely puts me in a more mesomorph range pretty easily though.

Ectomorph/Mesomorph but accidentally voted Mesomorph/Endomorph

Doh!

Hey! This is a pseudo-science thread. Your fancy logic isn't welcome here. Now either serve us a half-baked idea or vamoose!

I'm Mesomorph/Endomorph, although I'm much more like a Mesomorph.

Socionics tends to think that body type is associated with peronality, which could make sense. Say the part of your genes that determermines your body type has some influence over how your personality turns out, something like that.

I'm Mesomorph/Endomorph, although I'm much more like a Mesomorph.

Socionics tends to think that body type is associated with peronality, which could make sense. Say the part of your genes that determermines your body type has some influence over how your personality turns out, something like that.

From what I'd read, that physiognomy stuff wasn't actually the socionics of Augustinavičiūtė ('Good luck with that name.). It was mostly the socionics.com group, from Sergey Ganin according to Wikipedia.

It sounds like some here might have the wrong idea of what defines a body type. Just looking at the outlines that Synamon posted isn't enough. The shape you are in now might look like a different body type than you actually are, simply because your lifestyle changes it. What is most important is what your body tends towards in the absence of unusual amounts of exercise, tobacco, junk food or other health-affecting things.

Body type has nothing to do with personality type.

Here's a thought: what makes them separate?

TheLastMohican added to this post, 7 minutes and 4 seconds later...

BMI easily says overweight. I ran five days a week and deadlifted a 450 max while I weighed 250 and was "obese" which the girls didn't seem to notice.:suspicious:

BMI doesn't take into account unusually high or low muscle mass or bone structure.

there are many types out there and only a few body types. they span the ranges of type. the body types can be found in all personality types.

there are many types out there and only a few body types. they span the ranges of type. the body types can be found in all personality types.

Isn't each body as unique as each personality? Jung's theory has more types than Sheldon's, but that doesn't mean much, because we could just further break down Sheldon's types to get to a total of 16 if we liked. Or we could reduce personality types to introverts, extroverts and ambiverts. Either way, the "types" only are meaningful within a theory, and are arbitrarily defined.

Furthermore, your personality is defined by your brain. Your brain is part of your body. It's all organized from the same genetic material, and it's all affected by your life experiences. Now isn't it hard to prove that your brain is completely unrelated to the body that it controls, and the body that feeds it?