Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

evilcocoapuffs

Do ALL INTJs get into things like math and science?

67 posts in this topic

I was told I was good at math and science when I was young, but as I got older I gravitated away from it. In fact, during high school I stopped caring about grades all together, feeling that it was all part of this social latter that I wanted no part of. I also tend to test all sorts of types, oddly enough, and it is quite difficult to pick out which one fits me. I've tested as ISTJ a couple of months ago but I hate tradition and orders and rules, I've tested ISFJ but that was when I was having severe anxiety, and I've tested INFJ. I'm going to be taking a look at the forum in here on other tests, see what happen's tonight.

Do all INTJ's care about infinite knowledge, has any INTJ started theorizing on life that they've spent a lot of time wandering?

Do ALL INTJ's get into things like math and science?

Just the cool ones.

Do all INTJ's care about infinite knowledge, has any INTJ started theorizing on life that they've spent a lot of time wandering?

Not I.

One more post and you can access the links in the Online Test section of the forum, perhaps that will help answer some of your questions regarding type.

No. I for one can barely do Algebra 1. I've always been very bad at math. Science wasn't a issue (my standard thing was to read the chapter the night before, and I always got a B or A) and I excelled in history, but thats because I loved watching the history channel back in High School. But overall those were the only subjects I was decent in. I never made the honor roll, and up until high school I wasn't all that great with English as well. (probably because I didn't like writing by hand. I got a lot better, when I got a computer)

One more post and you can access the links in the Online Test section of the forum, perhaps that will help answer some of your questions regarding type.

I came up as INTJ but the supplementary scores showed something and INFP, which is more me I think then anything else.

Have you read the type descriptions here? That can be very helpful if the tests are unclear.

I would say I approach things in a logical/rational/unbiassed fashion way but I am very aware not everything in life is logical/mechanichal like Math or Science.

Just the cool ones.

I'm not cool. I haven't passed pre-algebra, with three [half-hearted] attempts under my belt. Not a math person. I did enjoy music theory, though...

I'm okay at math, suck at science... I've always been good at English and artsy stuff. =)

I tend to like pretty much all subjects.

Growing up I did tend to prefer math/sciences although I actually ended up scoring better (Standardized Tests) when it came to English.

Either way I have no real focus solely in the sciences, they interest me greatly but then so does art/design.

Always loved science and technology, I wasn't much interested in anything else as a kid, during which time I practically demanded science books and encyclopedias from my parents just to read about such things. My favorite classes were always the science classes, science classes being the ones my teachers praised my knowledge in. Seeing my As for physics class was fun, the feeling I had for physics was the closest thing I could come to spirituality, well that and being in love with girls did.

Math, oh what fun it was to have big buff students kindly. . . asking. . . me to do their assignments for them, not to mention the cool types who (successfully) tried to charm me into doing their math assignments for them, resulting in me being chums with some of them. . .even though I kind of hated them. I don't understand my relationship with math, I certainly believe that I suck at math (especially now) and I do but some people, including a math teacher gossiped that I had the most potential out of any of the other students, not necessarily to me so much as to other students and to staff and such, maybe it's because I'd often calculate things faster than the math teachers I guess.

Meh, I don't really think that much about math, it's not like some spectacular character thingy, I mean chimps and Rain Man are better at math than humans, so it's not like it should be any hallmark of intelligence but some people think of it that way.

I love Algebra and Chemistry for some reason so i guess it can be just a personnel like or dislike of a subject not really the personality.

Right now, I gravitate towards subjects that require critical thinking and logic, but don't make me rely on my shaky upper-level math skills. Think social sciences, philosophy, chemistry, biology.. But a class on upper-level physics or something of that nature would rape my GPA, most likely. I went to a poorly funded public school in south Texas for K-12 (I'm now in my first year out of high school, though I'm a sophomore by credit hours), so my mathematical knowledge has been developed to a mid-B level in Calculus thus far.

Personally, I've found that a lot of INTJ's are too intuitive to enjoy fields in science and math, because it requires so many concrete steps. Writing out my findings according to the scientific method/this&that throws me off my train of thought. I suppose a lot of alone time with the material wouldn't be so bad though.

The fact that you soon realized that school, grades, and all that, is just part of a "social ladder", and so you left it behind, even though you are very mathematically, and scientifically inclined naturally, is something quite wise, and on the right path. I myself didn't realize this until my later post-secondary years. I myself happen to think that it should be necessary for INTJs to be introduced to their subject areas in the Sciences, or any other theoretical subject in school, because hopefully there they will get to hear, and to practice their language well, since oftentimes the world will not be able to relate to the INTJ. A lot of this help can also be provided at home, by the parents, if they are also INTJ. I think that it may be a worry if the INTJ never has a chance to meet other INTJs, and to start to learn, and practice their own language among others. The INTJ needs to do this, and they cannot do this usually unless they see it in others too. Once the INTJ has recognized this language as their own, then I think that it's preferable for the INTJ to do things that are not necessarily school-related, because for INTJs, "life is with people", and they can really thrive, and be happy, doing things using their Scientific Knowledge outside of school related areas. After all, it's the inherent knowledge within a person that makes the discipline of Science in school, not the other way around.

But yes, I would say that because you are able to really see yourself outside of the social perscriptions that most people cannot see themselves apart from, at least not to the extent that they define themselves so well independently of these social norms that they are able to leave behind those social roles, and because you spend a lot of time theorizing about infinite knowledge, and life - I would say that there are high chances of you being an INTJ. It may harder for INTJs to really come to terms themselves that they are INTJs, and not some other personality type. Since INTJs are so theoretically inclined, I think they have the power of nudging their results, until they decide just using their own theoretical abilities, that, yes, they are INTJs. I guess I'm saying that an INTJ needs to take the personality theory, and then apply it to themselves, and then see if it fits them, using their own judgement, instead of just letting the theory do it for them -'cause INTJs tend to be natural theory builders themselves. I'm like a theory incarnated, and this, itself, might be the very thing that blocks me from actually seeing the truth about myself in the description of an INTJ personality, until I recognize it in myself first, using my own inherent knowledge. Just some thoughts.

I hated math....was horrible at it. Still am actually. Really loved science though and am kind of sad I didn't get into it past biology when I was in school.

I think most INTJ's would love math (whether good at it or not) were they introduced to it properly.

I find maths to be a tool which enables me to solve problems. Enhancing this tool is paramount.

If any topic is interesting enough I will learn about it. For example I like learning about History, Psychology, Sociology, Politics, Education, Literature and Science (All fields bar geology).

I think most INTJ's would love math (whether good at it or not) were they introduced to it properly.

Maybe some just had a bad first experience with it?

Maybe some just had a bad first experience with it?

Yes. But even worse is when some bright, mathematically oriented kid is forced to sit through year after year of classes way below their level with kids who aren't mathematically oriented, and who hate people who are.

I took Algebra II 3 times. The final time, I took that whole "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" thing seriously and wound up with a 4.0 GPA. Sometimes it just takes the right mindset for me. Unfortunately, my attitude about math is ambivalent at best...

I wish I knew what my problem was - I'm certainly not stupid overall, and my test scores beginning early on were very, very good in everything except math- the sole subject in which I not only didn't excel (knowledge-wise, anyway), but in which I seemed to be working at a nearly retarded level... I like science, I like languages, and music theory blew my mind, what's the big deal with mathematics?

I think if it had been English where I was suffering so badly, they would've been looking into learning disabilities, and how to work the problem. But there doesn't seem to be much flexibility applied to the way math is taught. It's like they expect a large number of people to just not get it, as if it's somehow expected and acceptable to be illiterate in mathematics.

I've spent a lot of my life being embarrassed over my math skills, my inability to hold numbers still in my head - which only makes the fear of it worse. :sulk:

I like math somewhat. I got to calculus 1 in school, didn't see any real world applications that related to me, so I stopped taking any higher math classes. Science as a general field of study? Yes. I read voraciously about any and all things science that interests me. No formalized school though. Not since my "college" days.

Do ALL INTJ's get into things like math and science?

The simple answer is no.

It's an absurd stereotype that the INTJ or INTP should only be involved in STEM(Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) jobs. Unfortunately, all the books on the mbti are guilty of this. No book can ever tell you what field you should major in or what job you should acquire. You can use them for guidance, but they can never be a substitute for worldly experience. Despite what everyone tells you, not everybody needs to be involved in math or science.

I feel like, if I just put my mind to it, I could love math.

In the meantime, I really enjoy educational theory. As a homeschooler, I'm less interested in the practical application of "which grammar program should I use" or "what should I use to teach math" end of it, and fascinated by the various theories about how the mind learns.

As an iNtj, should we be intuitive about things like poetry? Why, then, does poetry frustrate me? I feel like the meaning is just beyond reach, but yet escapes me.

I wouldn't say those 2 subjects are specific. I would say phrase its as complex deterministic systems. Any such system will exert a magnetic pull as the INT mind sees the cause and effect relationships and seeks to understand the mechanism. This could be law or economics for example. Its also why people oriented tasks are rejected, the results do not depend on the inputs.