Feeling Drained from Work None
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Anton
Member [05%]
MBTI: INTJ

Have you ever worked at job, where at the end of the day you just feel no energy to get anything done at all? Where you go home and immediately just sleep or wind up laying down doing nothing much productive?

I'm at a job like that right now. I don't know if it's me, but I doubt that it is. I used to work out almost every day, and lately, when I'm getting in my car after work, the first thing on my mind is sleep.

The work itself isn't even that challenging. Today we weren't even busy, for a good portion of the day I was sitting there reading a book, or listening to my co-workers gab their mouths off. Yet, here I am, getting in the door at home and in a little over an hour, I find myself in bed and out like a light.

One of the guy's who works there told me "I don't know what it is about this place, but it just drains you. It's not like it's hard or anything, just at the end of the day I just feel drained." and now, so do I.

I think it has to do with the general atmosphere. The guys I work with admit that this isn't the job for them. I caught my supervisor muttering under his breath, "I need to get a new job." Upon which, I immediately responded with "What's that?" and he said "nothing."

My friend asked me which would be worse: Working where I'm at, or working at McDonalds. I explained it like this: Working at McDonalds wouldn't make me feel so tired that I couldn't go to the gym. It wouldn't make me want to sleep afterwards, however it would make me stressed out much more. There's hardly any stress where I'm at now, and at McDonalds I would feel like I'm going to get grey hair within a few months. McDonalds would drain my life energy. The place I'm at now drains me in a physical way, where I feel like sleeping.

Again, I don't know whether to attribute this to myself, or to the atmosphere of the job. I don't like pinning the cause of things on outside events or forces, because doing so is attributed to an external locus of control- something I'm trying to turn into an internal one. So I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
SShack
Core Member [122%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP

Your job is putting you in a situation where you're surrounded by people, but it doesn't appear to be intellectually stimulating, based on what you're saying. Which means the human interactions are draining your energy (because you're an introvert) but there's nothing stimulating your intuition or thinking in order to refill the energy. So you end up home tired even though you haven't done anything stimulating. I'd go so far to say that you're tired because you haven't done anything stimulating.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Allie
Veteran Member [56%]

Generally speaking, I think this comes with the territory regardless of what career or jobs you're in. It has its ebbs and flows. Sometimes, you're energized, sometimes you're just drained. It all depends on the severity.

In your case, I can confirm from personal experience that not enough work to keep you busy is more draining than being busy enough where time just flies.

Sorry to say, but I think it's the atmosphere/environment that may be affecting you.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Fanowene
Member [41%]

Right now my job is like that a little. I think it's because I'm not challenged enough at the moment. I like to use my brain while I'm at work; it makes me feel like I'm really being productive. I can't stand it when I feel like I'm not doing as much as I could be doing, that I'm not worth the money I'm being payed. I think I'm suffering under a minor form of "boreout".
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But at least I'm getting payed well enough and I think it would be hard to find a job that's as convenient as the one I have now (I'm a student, so all the flexibility I have is fantastic). So I'm staying for now... but probably not for long.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
smashy
Member [17%]

I relate to you because I'm in a similar situation. I'm in the right job in the wrong company. The environment is draining me and besides I sleep 9-10 hours everyday, I feel really tired when I get home. I'm pushing myself hard to exercise because I love sports and because if I don't exercise I feel even worse.

Basically what happens with me is I don't like the environment, is full of stupid rules (please read my other post Work Rules) and I can't concentrate in my work. Besides that, I feel is killing my creative side.

Don't forget we're VERY intuitive people, sometimes we don't rationalize things straight away, but we notice them through our intuition and that's why those things happen, you feel drained and tired and don't really know why. We can also feel other peoples mood, so you probably are feeling your colleagues frustration for being there and that also drains you.

If I were you I would look for a more challenging job elsewhere, in a type of environment that you relate with.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Monte314
Core Member [489%]
Chief Scientist; Adjunct Full Professor of Computer Science; six times Who's Who in the World; national, state Advisory Panels; author of two books, many papers; Jedi Math Dog

I was sleeping in my office on Tuesday. My boss walked in, and started talking, then realized he was disturbing me. So he apologized and left.

I love my job.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Allie
Veteran Member [56%]

Monte, I love your job too
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
joydove
New Member [01%]
MBTI: intj

Originally Posted by Monte314
I was sleeping in my office on Tuesday. My boss walked in, and started talking, then realized he was disturbing me. So he apologized and left.

I love my job.

Now that's how one should make a living at a boring job!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Tishy
Member [03%]

I love my job.

My boss knows that I go through energy spurts - and times when I'm probably best photocopying something simple.

My coworkers have got used to it as well.

Boss figures that if I do the work of five people a third of my time, then it works out in her favour anyway.

Still, jealous of Monte-dog's job.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
eli
Member [03%]

My office job used to drain me. I'd come home and wouldn't have the energy to do anything but lie in front of the TV. I wasn't mentally challenging at all.
Working as a waitress isn't mentally challenging either, but it is physically tiring and I have no time to think about whether or not I'm bored.
I've found that if you can find a mentally challenging job, a physically tough job can be more fun.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
Franklin71
Member [21%]

I'm at work right now. Waiting. So I'm here. You do the math.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Harmony
Core Member [173%]
Harmony is easier to achieve when you stop trying to control every thing and every one.
MBTI: ENFP

Mine depends on how much stuff went wrong at work. I work at the helpesk for a college. So... If a lot of problems are going on by the time I get home I just feel so drained and want to be alone. However, if it was a slow day and it was really just me and my INTJ boss chatting about things, then I am much better.

Today is a prime example. It's the end of the semester and our distance learning system is fried, and has been for several months... So I took a lot of phone calls about it and by the end of the day I had a migraine, came home and took a three hour nap...

Last week there was a few days that I just stared off into space at work. Well at least to others it appeared that was what I was doing. I had a million things running through my brain. =P When I got home I actually went to work out, cleaned up some stuff, played my game, and felt so much better.

Thankfully it's hit or miss how much I have going on at work...
Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
Lonpone
Member [04%]
MBTI: ISTJ

We all have those moments in the work day where bupkiss happens. Ultimately though, it's the feeling of whether or not a person can feel like they're actually making a contribution to their organization, team, or society. Just because there is no work at the moment, does not mean that there isn't some kind of beneficial activity that a person could do to help keep motivated and disciplined in their professionalism. By keeping positive, proactive, and busy, a healthy attitude can be established, and since attitudes are contagious, a good attitude can keep a funk at bay.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
ggwbach
New Member [01%]
composer

I think 20% of people are doing the job they LOVE.

the rest of us are stuck with getting through the day, as best we can.

when we're involved and connected with what we're doing, it empowers us. Otherwise, it is a drain.

The work itself isn't even that challenging. Today we weren't even busy, for a good portion of the day I was sitting there reading a book, or listening to my co-workers gab their mouths off. Yet, here I am, getting in the door at home and in a little over an hour, I find myself in bed and out like a light.

definitely been there!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
probity
Member [21%]
MBTI: ISTP

I went through a phase like that too and for me it was definitely because I wasn't being challenged. I ended up bringing my own 'work' to do when I was being under stimulated. I'd work in puzzle books when I had nothing to do and listen to lectures when I was doing menial tasks. It definitely made the day go faster and I felt less tired after work.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
Cairech
Member [04%]

It is odd that EVERYONE in your office feels this way, when the job itself is not stressful. (Did I read that correctly?)

I wonder if the building has contaminated air, as many do. Do you have living plants in the office? Can you manage keeping a houseplant? If yes, I would recommend the golden pothos vine, dracenea, table palm or the arrowhead plant. All of these are common, easy to keep and will work to process toxins out of the air.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
dogwoodlover
Member [47%]

MBTI: ISTP

OP:

What kind of work is it? I find jobs that employ social skills and manual labor to be the most draining (i.e. In-N-Out burger), whereas jobs where I can actually use my brain and be left alone to do my work to be satisfying and almost energizing (I worked in IT at school and it was the easiest job I've ever had).
Old 01-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
brainysmurf
Member [04%]
MBTI: InTJ

If you feel drained and it's not because the job itself is too stressful, maybe you have trouble relaxing in your time off. It might also be due to the social interaction at your office which can be stressful for an INTJ. Or is it your perfectionalism? Anyway, think about your quality of life and maybe your current job is not worth it.

I was sleeping in my office on Tuesday. My boss walked in, and started talking, then realized he was disturbing me. So he apologized and left. I love my job.

Your boss seems to be a cool guy! I think I would love your job too! Are you hiring?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
SShack
Core Member [122%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP

Ugh. Now I'm the one going home from work drained. I lost my second in command, and due to budget issues we had to slash the position rather than replace him. So now I have no other manager types around me to help bounce ideas or problems off of. Being an extravert, having to deal with all these issues all by myself is incredibly draining. (Not to mention having somebody to tell me when I'm acting like a jerk.)
Old 01-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #20
gedreosan
Member [08%]

Every job that I've had in which I work with the public leaves me that way. Even if nothing stressful happens just dealing with a large number of people I don't know or like drains me.