Little-Known Facts About Teddy Roosevelt None
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
doublejm1
Banned

MBTI: INTJ

I find Teddy Roosevelt to be one of the most fascinating presidents of all time. He led the Rough Riders, dismantled monopolies as a trust buster, and spearheaded the building of the Panama Canal. I can't learn enough about this guy.

I found an article that highlights 18 little-known facts about Teddy:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But I'm sure this article is missing interesting facts not covered in the history books. Can any of you guys share something noteworthy about T.R. that even history buffs might not know? If you know an interesting if little known fact about any of the other presidents, feel free to share those as well.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

He was an interesting man. Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Subgenius
Banned

Roosevelt was kind of like the "before" picture in the old Charles Atlas adds. As he grew up he overcame his asthma and developed a love of exercise...and war.
He wasn't the actual leader of the Rough Riders. That was Colonel Wood.
For being such a warmonger, there was never a war when he was President. He actually stated that there wouldn't be a war while he was president so he didn't miss out on the fun.
He tried to get "In God We Trust" taken of US coins.
While campaigning for his third term, he was shot by an assassin and demanded to deliver his speech. Which he did.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Arcanist
Core Member [194%]
MBTI: xxxx

The man was a tyrant. 'nuff said.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Brambleshire
Member [23%]

How about this one regarding eugenics. Roosevelt said in 1914: "I wish very much that the wrong people could be prevented entirely from breeding; and when the evil nature of these people is sufficiently flagrant, this should be done. Criminals should be sterilized and feeble-minded persons forbidden to leave offspring behind them."

In 1886 he said: "I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth."

---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 01:24 PM ----------

one more:

In The Winning of the West (1889–1896), Roosevelt's frontier thesis stressed a struggle between "civilization" and supposed savagery. Excerpts:
"The settler and pioneer have at bottom had justice on their side; this great continent could not have been kept as nothing but a game preserve for squalid savages."
"The most ultimately righteous of all wars is a war with savages."
"American and Indian, Boer and Zulu, Cossack and Tartar, New Zealander and Maori, – in each case the victor, horrible though many of his deeds are, has laid deep the foundations for the future greatness of a mighty people."
"..it is of incalculable importance that America, Australia, and Siberia should pass out of the hands of their red, black, and yellow aboriginal owners, and become the heritage of the dominant world races."
"The world would have halted had it not been for the Teutonic conquests in alien lands; but the victories of Moslem over Christian have always proved a curse in the end. Nothing but sheer evil has come from the victories of Turk and Tartar."

---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 01:30 PM ----------

I like how more than a hundred years ago politicians were trying to free politics of special interests.

"Now, this means that our government, National and State, must be freed from the sinister influence or control of special interests. Exactly as the special interests of cotton and slavery threatened our political integrity before the Civil War, so now the great special business interests too often control and corrupt the men and methods of government for their own profit. We must drive the special interests out of politics..."
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Vermillion
Suspended

MBTI: XNXX

Originally Posted by Brambleshire
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
How about this one regarding eugenics. Roosevelt said in 1914: "I wish very much that the wrong people could be prevented entirely from breeding; and when the evil nature of these people is sufficiently flagrant, this should be done. Criminals should be sterilized and feeble-minded persons forbidden to leave offspring behind them."

Wow, what a dumbass. Everyone knows we need stupid cattle to fuel the rich and powerful. I guess ol' Teddy should remember the ignorant fuckers who shines his shoes and waxes his floors. I mean come on, would he want to do that shit himself? We need the worthless vermin to prop up society.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Subgenius
Banned

Originally Posted by Vermillion
Wow, what a dumbass. Everyone knows we need stupid cattle to fuel the rich and powerful. I guess ol' Teddy should remember the ignorant fuckers who shines his shoes and waxes his floors. I mean come on, would he want to do that shit himself? We need the worthless vermin to prop up society.

Hey, without Eugenics you wouldn't have the fancy tests that let you lord your intelligence quotient over everyone. Or really even most standardized testing too.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
mozartus
Member [14%]
A thousand wasted hours a day
Just to feel my heart for a second
A thousand hours just thrown away
Just to feel my heart for a second

The 1887 Dawes Act: The US Theft of 90 Million Acres of Indian Land.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Profit
Member [07%]

The 18 things you don't know is cute but go find an old copy of Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the United States, 1880-1917 by Gail Bederman.
Teddy was an ass.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
doublejm1
Banned

Originally Posted by Subgenius
Roosevelt was kind of like the "before" picture in the old Charles Atlas adds. As he grew up he overcame his asthma and developed a love of exercise...and war.
He wasn't the actual leader of the Rough Riders. That was Colonel Wood.
For being such a warmonger, there was never a war when he was President. He actually stated that there wouldn't be a war while he was president so he didn't miss out on the fun.
He tried to get "In God We Trust" taken of US coins.
While campaigning for his third term, he was shot by an assassin and demanded to deliver his speech. Which he did.

You're right about his finding "In God We Trust" sacrilegious and unconstitutional. He was also a sickly child.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
eagleseven
Core Member [290%]
MBTI: XNXX

While I respect what he accomplished like I respect what Napoleon accomplished, were he alive today I'd aggressively oppose him.
eagleseven is online
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
IslandHead
Veteran Member [54%]

Did you know he was a bad ass?? Photo in the spoilers!

IslandHead is online
Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
doublejm1
Banned

Originally Posted by eagleseven
While I respect what he accomplished like I respect what Napoleon accomplished, were he alive today I'd aggressively oppose him.

Opinion on Teddy Roosevelt's legacy is fairly polarized. He seems to be of the "either you love him or hate him" variety.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Apex
Member [15%]
MBTI: INTP

Benjamin Franklin was also a very interesting man he deserves a thread.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
axiomatic
New Member [01%]

Most of these "little-known facts" are covered in basic AP US history course.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
jwb686
New Member [01%]

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. This was a great read.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
doublejm1
Banned

Originally Posted by axiomatic
Most of these "little-known facts" are covered in basic AP US history course.

Not true. I took AP U.S. History. You have so much material to cover that there just isn't enough time to delve deeply into the lives of the presidents.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
doublejm1
Banned

Originally Posted by Apex
Benjamin Franklin was also a very interesting man he deserves a thread.

Good point. He was an accomplished statesman, scientist, author, and so much more.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Subgenius
Banned

Teddy fought and beat Bigfoot.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
doublejm1
Banned

I recently saw a documentary on FDR. It turns out that FDR's idol was none other than his esteemed cousin Teddy. Like Theodore, Franklin D. Roosevelt served as Assistant Secretary of the Navy and Governor of New York. In addition, both men dropped out of Columbia Law School.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
doublejm1
Banned

Originally Posted by jwb686
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. This was a great read.

I'll definitely look into this one!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #22
The Dan Keizer
Core Member [248%]

One time at work my boss was lamenting about how our mostly-Mexican kitchen crew was so rough with the tools and appliances. Indeed, some things at my job seem to break so often that sabotage is not out of the question. But my boss Tom went on to explain the reason why Mexicans hate Americans, which is why they break our kitchen equipment. I will try to relay it as best I can remember...

Dan's boss Tom:

"You see, Danny, the Mexicans are still pissed at Americans for taking Texas from them. They had to sell it to us for only 50 cents an acre because they had to finance a war they were in. See, back in the 1900s Spain was fighting England or France, those European countries were always fighting each other back then, and they ran out of money so they had to sell Louisiana and Texas and California and all that to the US. But all the Mexicans went, 'No, amigo, Texas is ours!' So the Mexicans went to war with the US over Texas and that's when Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders whooped their asses and they've been pissed ever since."

Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
Profit
Member [07%]

Originally Posted by The Dan Keizer
One time at work my boss was lamenting about how our mostly-Mexican kitchen crew was so rough with the tools and appliances. Indeed, some things at my job seem to break so often that sabotage is not out of the question. But my boss Tom went on to explain the reason why Mexicans hate Americans, which is why they break our kitchen equipment. I will try to relay it as best I can remember...

I laughed at first and then I cried a little on the inside after reading this.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
doublejm1
Banned

Two additional Teddy-related facts that are not on the list:

1. He was the first president to travel by plane.

2. He was the first president travel abroad while in office.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
doublejm1
Banned

Originally Posted by eagleseven

That's fair. Many academics claim that people either loved Teddy or reviled him.