Asperger's vs INTJ psychological disorders
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Grace
Member [14%]
Isaiah 61:1-3
MBTI: INTJ

Does Anyone Know If Studies Have Been Done On The Possible Association Between This Type And Asperger's?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Wuchak
Member [16%]

Great question, Grace. I've wondered that myself. So I'll be watching this thread.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
JustMel
Core Member [434%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

I asked the same question about autism but I don't think there's really a way to tell at this point because the answers are inconclusive.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
adianavy
New Member [01%]

I've wondered that myself.

Then again, I also wonder if some parents send their kids to a shrink simply because they "aren't acting like the other children." It makes me sick when "caring parents" want a quick label to explain away Junior's awkwardness.

Makes is so much harder for people with the real thing to get the treatment they deserve.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Grace
Member [14%]

As a caring parent, I have sought to understand the nature of my children's challenges, so that I would better know how to support them.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Wuchak
Member [16%]

I posted a similar thought on an ADD / ADHD thread a few days ago. Could a child distracted by his / her own thoughts--produced by intuitive associations / patterns / abstract concepts--be diagnosed with a disorder, dysfunction or disease? I certainly believe that's possible.

Someone was describing a child's behavior to me the other day, in the context of "he might have Asperger's." I replied, "Maybe . . . but he could be Einstein or Edison, for all we know right now."
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
adianavy
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Grace
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
As a caring parent, I have sought to understand the nature of my children's challenges, so that I would better know how to support them.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Children need all the support they can get.

However, some people want to use a syndrome to excuse behaviors. This is more along the lines of "Oh please excuse Mary for being so quiet - we think she's autistic even though she doesn't have any other signs of it."

I've had relatives tell my mother that I was autistic simply because I'd rather read than play kickball. It really made me feel like there was something deeply wrong with my personality.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
acyckowski
Member [39%]

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Another caring parent checking in here.

I'm INTJ, the Boy in question is 8 and appears to be INTx, with very strong I and N preferences. The school says he has Aspergers, I say he is the archetype for the NT conflict in school as described in Kiersey's Please Understand Me. I know the boy, I understand how he thinks better than anybody else does (including himself), and if I were him I'd have trouble fitting in, too....oh, wait, when I was his age, I did!

Having looked at all the diagnostic measures in the DSM, I'm confident that you could diagnose the child with any of about 6 different disorders, but then those diagnostic criteria are all aligned with INTP/J.

If you haven't read PUM, do so: in it is a very insightful description of NT interaction with the school environment.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
Grace
Member [14%]

Okay, so whether it is Asperger's or INTx, the kid needs solid coaching on interpersonal skills and empathy.

As I recall, the biggest problem I had was understanding that I came off as very intense to other people (felt normal to me, the intensity) and I didn't understand that I was profoundly affecting the people around me. I didn't know that what I thought, felt or did mattered to people, because what they thought , felt or did didn't matter that much to me.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
JustMel
Core Member [434%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

They chalked all of my antisocial behavior up to my PTSD. Both were probably to blame since I didn't have nearly as many I behaviours until after I was diagnosed with PTSD.

I despise hearing "please excuse him/her she/he has ADD, ADHD" or whateve the current bandwagon is to jump on. I found through a discussion with someone who has a phd in biology that mercury poisoning presents like autism and that in fact mercury poisoning can be treated where autism can not but most Drs don't check for mercury poisoning they just slap autism on the child and continue on.

there is no child that will not strive to meet the parents goals if they know they are expected to. The higher you set the goal for the child--the harder they try to reach it. I believe that parents in general are lazy and would rather have an excuse to blame the behavior on rather than their lazy parenting. Kids are so disrespectful and lacking in manners now that I want to scream.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Kemmler
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by adianavy
I've wondered that myself.

Then again, I also wonder if some parents send their kids to a shrink simply because they "aren't acting like the other children." It makes me sick when "caring parents" want a quick label to explain away Junior's awkwardness.

Makes is so much harder for people with the real thing to get the treatment they deserve.

Well, you've got a perfect sample of that riiight here :P

Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
searcher
Veteran Member [70%]
Mouse with cashews, please.
MBTI: INTP

I think we have a tendacy to be slapped with various mental condition labels because we think differently to other types.

In our mainly "E" society, for example, a quiet kid is automaticlly labeled as potentialy antisocial etc etc, and can be teased simply because they are different.

Most humans seem very intolerant of differences and anything they regard as unusual can be quickly viewed as a "threat" or "strange" just because they don't act/look/sound/think that way themself.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
Grace
Member [14%]

Originally Posted by Kemmler
Well, you've got a perfect sample of that riiight here :P

Perfect sample of what, not getting treatment, or being handily 'labeled'?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
Xenolar
Member [04%]
"The present is theirs. The future, for which I have truly worked, is mine"
MBTI: INTp

Does Anyone Know If Studies Have Been Done On The Possible Association Between This Type And Asperger's?

There are loads of similar threads on this forum. If I remember correctly, however, there was one study I found that linked HFA/AS to Ni-dominant types (INxJs), while another study seemed to conclude that HFA/AS is most strongly correlated with Ti-dominant types (IxTP). As for empirical data, it is hard to say. However, on wrongplanet.net (a forum/website for those with AS/HFA), there is this one thread (poll included) where members are asked of their MBTI types. Accordingly INTP seemed most common, followed by IxTJ (INTJ first, then ISTJ). Following that, there were a few smatterings here and their of ISxPs, INFPs (and occasionally IxFJs). Most other types were hardly present at all.
At the same time, though, one should be cautious when trying to determine which psychological traits are merely those associated with a particular MBTI type, and which are worthy of a diagnosis.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Mechanical Messiah
Member [06%]
Rotten Apostate
MBTI: iNTj

Two of my friends from high school are brothers, and they bost test as INTP. One of them is a TEXTBOOK case for Asperger's Syndrome (my wife is a psychologist, and she agrees). The other doesn't quite fit the criteria... but comes pretty close.

So ya' gotta wonder.

But then again, there are several INTJ's in my family, and no Aspys.

I also recall reading that the incidence of autism is vastly higher in areas like Silicon Valley where there's a high proportion of math/science/tech nerds. One would think that lots of those nerds would be assorted NT's.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #16
Henry
Member [34%]
LOL SRS BIZNESS SELF-PORTRAIT AVATARS?
MBTI: iNTj

I don't have anything resembling asperger's.

I do have avoidant/schizoid tendencies though, as I lead a life of mostly isolation and I go back and forth between caring and not caring.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #17
umop_3pisdn
Member [02%]

I find it to be more INTJ personality correlating to schizoid personality. Reading the description of schizoid on wikipedia sounds uncannily like me. Schizoid's are really prone to fantasy and daydreaming and other seemingly Ni related stuff. I don't think aspergers is an issue for me, I however I think it's much more likely I'm schizoid. Not that I think I am... but were I to have some sort of mental thing, that seems most likely.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #18
Grace
Member [14%]

Originally Posted by Xenolar
There are loads of similar threads on this forum. If I remember correctly, however, there was one study I found that linked HFA/AS to Ni-dominant types (INxJs), while another study seemed to conclude that HFA/AS is most strongly correlated with Ti-dominant types (IxTP). As for empirical data, it is hard to say. However, on wrongplanet.net (a forum/website for those with AS/HFA), there is this one thread (poll included) where members are asked of their MBTI types. Accordingly INTP seemed most common, followed by IxTJ (INTJ first, then ISTJ). Following that, there were a few smatterings here and their of ISxPs, INFPs (and occasionally IxFJs). Most other types were hardly present at all.
At the same time, though, one should be cautious when trying to determine which psychological traits are merely those associated with a particular MBTI type, and which are worthy of a diagnosis.

So, it looks to me like further research using modern brain imaging and genetic typing might be valuable, as well as a more definitive diagnosis criteria. Hmmmm might be good material for someone's upper grad thesis work.

Tags
psychological disorders