Reply
Thread Tools
Typing "The Hunger Games" Trilogy None
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
vulcanhuman
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
 
So I just read finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. I was so taken with those books it was ridiculous. I had a lot of apprehension in reading them; I don't read that many modern books and I don't read ANY young adult fiction. But, many people suggested it to me and I read it and was quite literally in love. If you haven't read them, you should, you won't regret it.

Anyway, naturally, I got to thinking about the character's MBTI types and conjuring up my own theories. Thought I would share them with you and get your thoughts. Obviously, I know, it's hard to type fictional characters, but still, I thought i'd try. So here are my thoughts (some characters I couldn't decide on a type or I think are in between):

Katniss Everdeen- INTJ/ISTJ
Peeta Mellark- ENFP
Gale Hawthorne- INFJ/ENFJ
Haymitch Abernathy- ISTP
Primrose Everdeen- ENFJ
Rue- INFP/INFJ
Cinna- INFJ
President Snow- ENTJ
Finnick Odair- ESFP
Johanna Mason- ESTP

I know there are characters I left out. Some I have forgotten and/or can't think of their personality's clearly enough. Please let me know what you think!
vulcanhuman is offline
Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
superflax
Member [33%]
MBTI: ENFJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,335
 
Ahh! I have only thought of Katniss and i agree with you! I think she is an INTJ. An ISTJ is a bit of a stretch because she's ALWAYS adding meaning to actions or events so she's got the intuition bit for sure.

I can see why you think Peeta is an ENFP, and I think it's so clear why he loves her because of this!

They would be PERFECT together. Urgh.

I haven't really studied the other characters but I will let you know as soon as I do!
superflax is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Dancingqueen
Core Member [245%]
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God
MBTI: iNTj
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,814
 
I spent all night reading book one last night, couldn't put it down!

Katniss Everdeen- INTJ -she understood the intended meaning of the gifts from Haymitch, intuition is needed for that
Peeta Mellark- ENFP
Gale Hawthorne- INTJ -He's quiet and keeps to himself
Haymitch Abernathy- INTP/INTJ -He could think 50 moves ahead
Primrose Everdeen- ENFP/INFP -a J would not have been so defenseless in life
Rue- INFP/INFJ
Cinna- INFJ
President Snow- ENTJ
Finnick Odair- ? don't know the character
Johanna Mason- ? don't know the character
Dancingqueen is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
superflax
Member [33%]
MBTI: ENFJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,335
 

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gale Hawthorne- INTJ -He's quiet and keeps to himself

Could gale not be an INFJ?
He hates that he can't seem to hate Peeta.

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Haymitch Abernathy- INTP/INTJ -He could think 50 moves ahead

I lean more to an INTJ, that's how him and katniss understand each other so well.

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Primrose Everdeen- ENFP/INFP -a J would not have been so defenseless in life

I think INFP, she's too reserved to be an E.

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rue- INFP/INFJ

INFP, she looks to Katniss for what they should do during the games.

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinna- INFJ

Definitely agree with you here.

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
President Snow- ENTJ

Agreed here too.

superflax is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Malkavia
Core Member [321%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,868
 

  Originally Posted by vulcanhuman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So I just read finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. I was so taken with those books it was ridiculous. I had a lot of apprehension in reading them; I don't read that many modern books and I don't read ANY young adult fiction. But, many people suggested it to me and I read it and was quite literally in love. If you haven't read them, you should, you won't regret it.

Anyway, naturally, I got to thinking about the character's MBTI types and conjuring up my own theories. Thought I would share them with you and get your thoughts. Obviously, I know, it's hard to type fictional characters, but still, I thought i'd try. So here are my thoughts (some characters I couldn't decide on a type or I think are in between):

Katniss Everdeen- INTJ/ISTJ
Peeta Mellark- ENFP
Gale Hawthorne- INFJ/ENFJ
Haymitch Abernathy- ISTP
Primrose Everdeen- ENFJ
Rue- INFP/INFJ
Cinna- INFJ
President Snow- ENTJ
Finnick Odair- ESFP
Johanna Mason- ESTP

I know there are characters I left out. Some I have forgotten and/or can't think of their personality's clearly enough. Please let me know what you think!

Almost done with the third book.

Katniss Everdeen - INTJ...although Im not sure. Definitely IXTX.
Peeta Mellark- ENFP -
Gale Hawthorne- INFJ/ISFJ - I'm sorry but "being quiet and keeping to yourself" is not an exclusive INTJ trait.
Haymitch Abernathy- ISTP
Primrose Everdeen- ESFJ - She is about manners and keeping inline with society. I am surprised everyone has put an "N" in her type. The intuitive signals Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch give each other through the whole trilogy is almost never picked up on by her.
Rue- INFP - Although its hard to type a child and
[HIDE="Spoiler"]someone who is not in the books very long. I think we just want to give her the INFP/INFJ type because we find them kind and lovable, like Rue.[/HIDE]
Cinna- I have no idea. But I love this man to death. INFJ?
[HIDE="Spoiler"]He sacrifices himself. He knows he was going to die when he made changed the wedding dress. Definitely NF.[/HIDE]
President Snow- ENTJ
Finnick Odair- ESFP
Johanna Mason- ESTP

Malkavia is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
what yeah okay
Member [20%]
INTJforum:  You have two cows.  There are only two because cows are rare, and are therefore INTJs who are destined to rule everyone.
MBTI: ENTP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 833
 
Katniss is a sensor. She always relies on past experiential knowledge above most else and isn't very intellectual. I vote ISTJ.
what yeah okay is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
Claudus
Member [16%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 678
 
Katniss, no way is she an INTJ, definitely S.
Claudus is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Malkavia
Core Member [321%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,868
 
Fair enough.
Malkavia is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
superflax
Member [33%]
MBTI: ENFJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,335
 

  Originally Posted by what yeah okay
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Katniss is a sensor. She always relies on past experiential knowledge above most else and isn't very intellectual. I vote ISTJ.

I agree with the intellect bit isn't that just because of her circumstances she doesn't put much effort into school because she's more busy trying to survive?

Also, I picked N instead of S because: she always thinks about future implications for a current action and tries to perceive underlying meaning in what people say or do and is always trying to see the big picture.

These are blatant traits of N.

superflax is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
vulcanhuman
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
 

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I spent all night reading book one last night, couldn't put it down!

Katniss Everdeen- INTJ -she understood the intended meaning of the gifts from Haymitch, intuition is needed for that
Peeta Mellark- ENFP
Gale Hawthorne- INTJ -He's quiet and keeps to himself
Haymitch Abernathy- INTP/INTJ -He could think 50 moves ahead
Primrose Everdeen- ENFP/INFP -a J would not have been so defenseless in life
Rue- INFP/INFJ
Cinna- INFJ
President Snow- ENTJ
Finnick Odair- ? don't know the character
Johanna Mason- ? don't know the character

I think you may feel differently about Gale once you read the other two books. He's really barely in book one, so I can kind of see (if I think back really hard; they are all basically one book in my mind) where you would get an INTJ vibe from him. But once you read the other two books we learn a lot more about his character.

  Originally Posted by superflax
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ahh! I have only thought of Katniss and i agree with you! I think she is an INTJ. An ISTJ is a bit of a stretch because she's ALWAYS adding meaning to actions or events so she's got the intuition bit for sure.

I can see why you think Peeta is an ENFP, and I think it's so clear why he loves her because of this!

They would be PERFECT together. Urgh.

I haven't really studied the other characters but I will let you know as soon as I do!

A lot of people have said Katniss is an "S" and I can see why. "N" are thought to be generally the more creative/dreamers and that definitely wouldn't describe Katniss. But I think she is more of a circumstantial "S." Her life forced her to not be able to use her intuition as much as I think she would have had she not had to be the breadwinner for her family and grow up so fast.

  Originally Posted by Malkavia
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Almost done with the third book.

Katniss Everdeen - INTJ...although Im not sure. Definitely IXTX.
Peeta Mellark- ENFP -
Gale Hawthorne- INFJ/ISFJ - I'm sorry but "being quiet and keeping to yourself" is not an exclusive INTJ trait.
Haymitch Abernathy- ISTP
Primrose Everdeen- ESFJ - She is about manners and keeping inline with society. I am surprised everyone has put an "N" in her type. The intuitive signals Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch give each other through the whole trilogy is almost never picked up on by her.
Rue- INFP - Although its hard to type a child and
[HIDE="Spoiler"]someone who is not in the books very long. I think we just want to give her the INFP/INFJ type because we find them kind and lovable, like Rue.[/HIDE]
Cinna- I have no idea. But I love this man to death. INFJ?
[HIDE="Spoiler"]He sacrifices himself. He knows he was going to die when he made changed the wedding dress. Definitely NF.[/HIDE]
President Snow- ENTJ
Finnick Odair- ESFP
Johanna Mason- ESTP

I think Prim could definitely be an "S." You could be right. As far as Gale goes, I don't think he is an "S" at all. Definitely an iNtuitive. Always thinking about the future and future possibilities. Very creative when it came to making his traps and whatnot. He was definitely not a "follow the rules" type at all whatsoever. Which is an "S" thing. I do think he could be INFJ though. Although, I think he could possibly be an "E" as well. Just because he was quiet doesn't necessarily mean he is an "I." He kind of reminds me of some ENFJ's I know. But he also reminds me of some INFJ's I know. So I don't know really.

---------- Post added 01-09-2012 at 09:13 PM ----------

  Originally Posted by what yeah okay
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Katniss is a sensor. She always relies on past experiential knowledge above most else and isn't very intellectual. I vote ISTJ.

Since when is every INTJ in existence intellectual? And Also, all of the ISTJ's I know are very intellectual, so...I don't know how that proves anything.

  Originally Posted by Claudus
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Katniss, no way is she an INTJ, definitely S.

I think that if you go strictly by the letters. S or N...Does she think more about future possibilities or present realities? I would definitely say present realities too, leading me to "S." But I feel that this is strictly circumstantial. She has been forced into that by events in her life. But I feel like her mode of operation and overall personality are more INTJ than ISTJ. At the very least I think she is in the middle. Anyway, that's what I think.

vulcanhuman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
Malkavia
Core Member [321%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,868
 

  Originally Posted by vulcanhuman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I think Prim could definitely be an "S." You could be right. As far as Gale goes, I don't think he is an "S" at all. Definitely an iNtuitive. Always thinking about the future and future possibilities. Very creative when it came to making his traps and whatnot. He was definitely not a "follow the rules" type at all whatsoever. Which is an "S" thing. I do think he could be INFJ though. Although, I think he could possibly be an "E" as well. Just because he was quiet doesn't necessarily mean he is an "I." He kind of reminds me of some ENFJ's I know. But he also reminds me of some INFJ's I know. So I don't know really.

Apologies. I meant Effie Trinket. I am editing my post now. I have no idea why I saw Effie Trinket instead of Primrose Everdeen.

EDIT: Nevermind. Cant edit my post. Oh well.

Malkavia is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #12
superflax
Member [33%]
MBTI: ENFJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,335
 
I stand corrected, Katniss may indeed be an ISTJ.
superflax is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
PurpleGiraffe
Member [39%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,579
 

  Originally Posted by Malkavia
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Apologies. I meant Effie Trinket. I am editing my post now. I have no idea why I saw Effie Trinket instead of Primrose Everdeen.

Yeah, Effie Trinket is definitely an ESFJ. She screams dom Fe.

Rue and Prim are definitely both INFP.

It would make sense for Finnick Odair to be an ESFP. Annie definitely seems like an ISFP.

And, I can't decide on Katniss. She definitely can be a INTJ who has been forced to be ISTJ. I can see some validity to this, but I'm not sure.

PurpleGiraffe is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
3ggminey
New Member [01%]
 
MBTI: xNFP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
 
Katniss Everdeen - ISTJ (not lead Ni, does not see big picture well)
Peeta Mellark - ESFP
Haymitch Abernathy - ENFP, best conman, inspiration, Ne could help with people skills
3ggminey is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Amphorian
Core Member [315%]
*grin*
MBTI: ISTP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,607
 

  Originally Posted by superflax
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I stand corrected, Katniss may indeed be an ISTJ.

Have you guys considered ISTP since you're wavering between intuitive and sensor? (ISTPs can have strong intuition since they have Ni as their third function). Also ISTPs have the same interaction style as INTJs. Or an INTP (INTP's have Si as their third function) that had to learn how to survive off the land?

Amphorian is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
Dancingqueen
Core Member [245%]
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God
MBTI: iNTj
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,814
 
In the movie version, Katniss definitely comes across as ISTJ not ISTP. Her face does not show emotion and she has trouble connecting with people which to me indicates:
Fi > Fe.
Dancingqueen is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
SShack
Core Member [122%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,890
 
Clearly the only reason this authoritarian society was surviving was due to them killing off all the ENTPs. Now it all makes sense to me.
SShack is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
Amphorian
Core Member [315%]
*grin*
MBTI: ISTP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,607
 

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the movie version, Katniss definitely comes across as ISTJ not ISTP. Her face does not show emotion and she has trouble connecting with people which to me indicates:
Fi > Fe.

Having Fi doesn't mean one shows less emotion. Fe is about considering the emotions of everyone (harmony of the group). Fi is about individual emotions (importance of the emotion in the individual). I addressed how the functions behave more concisely and clearly in this
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

ISTJ/INTJs have Fi as their third function, while ISTP/INTPs have Fe as their fourth function. Meaning on average a dominant thinker, compared to an auxiliary thinker is more likely to be out of touch with their emotions (since thinking is SO dominant and present in their everyday decisions). However, one must account for personal growth (hence so many ISTJ/INTJs not being in touch with their emotions).

Also ISTJs are less likely to go up against authority, even authority that they perceive to be wrong. Meaning an ISTJ is less likely to go pass the electric barbed fence like Katniss did (INTPs also show such Si behaviors now and then too, but far less likely in regards to large authorities). All IXTX usually have trouble showing emotions, regardless of their main feeling function. And IXTPs are more likely to 'explode' with emotion every now and then because they're so out of touch (like Katniss did when she found out Peeta mentioned he had a crush on her).

Amphorian is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
Dancingqueen
Core Member [245%]
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God
MBTI: iNTj
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,814
 

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
makes valid points re: Fi vs. Fe showing emotion on their face (Around 1.40 into the video). According to him, Fe's show emotion or their faces more readily. I see this in my INTP husband as well. The faces he pulls are comical while my expressions tend more towards Katniss's lack thereof.

  Originally Posted by Amphorian
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Having Fi doesn't mean one shows less emotion. Fe is about considering the emotions of everyone (harmony of the group). Fi is about individual emotions (importance of the emotion in the individual)

Dancingqueen is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Amphorian
Core Member [315%]
*grin*
MBTI: ISTP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,607
 

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
makes valid points re: Fi vs. Fe showing emotion on their face (Around 1.40 into the video). According to him, Fe's show emotion or their faces more readily. I see this in my INTP husband as well. The faces he pulls are comical while my expressions tend more towards Katniss's lack thereof.

1. Everyone is different, even among types. Take typology with a grain of salt. I never said Katniss is not an ISTJ, but indicating how unlikely it is based on her behaviors and reasoning. However, I know for a fact my ISTJ mother doesn't always appear outwardly like many ISTJs especially around the house and in child rearing (she's messy, isn't really totalitarian over where we go, etc.) but that comes from learned childhood behavior (which Si's have a hard time abandoning). So, technically behavior isn't everything when typing individuals.

2. Just because you're INTP husband shows more emotions, doesn't make such the 'norm'. Also the youtube video you showed me indicated FJs, not TPs were more likely to show facial emotion. The video was dealing with ESFX, not IXTX anyways and is a poor example for IXTX behaviors. Technically speaking, how much emotion is showed doesn't just come from the cognitive functions, but from nurture. If a child is allowed and encouraged to show emotion they're more likely to show emotion throughout life. I personally show very little emotion or facial expressions when interacting with others because I was oppressed as a child from feeling such, while my ISTJ mother on the other hand shows more facial expressions then me on a daily basis (though not much more). During an argument I'm more likely to explode from frustration, but my facial expression rarely change, while my mother (ISTJ) is the exact opposite. The lack of facial expression is very common among introverts, and thinkers (including extroverts) and shouldn't be attributed solely to one type.

3. The video indicates the video creator is conflating two systems, Kiersey and MBTI. It made no indication that such were different systems of typology and to be weary when discussing the two together. There are articles out there that find the ISPs are inappropriately labeled as go getters, adventure seeking, etc. people when most are not like their extroverted SP counterparts. Here is an
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on such, as well as an
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on SPs seeing a pseudo big picture because of Se.

4. Typing fictional characters should also be taken with a grain of salt. We don't have enough information about them, and at times fictional characters can (and at times usually are) be hybrids of two or more types (thus making them harder to type). Batman is an excellent example because his character (depending on the author) varied between INTJ, INTP and ISTP at times (comics and all movies included). Even some people in real life are hard to type because they have mastered the skills and behaviors (perhaps even thought processes) of other types (this happens more so in older, mature and well rounded adults). Also undeveloped individuals may show traits of their shadow functions and be warped versions of healthy types.

Amphorian is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Dancingqueen
Core Member [245%]
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God
MBTI: iNTj
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,814
 

  Originally Posted by Amphorian
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1. the youtube video you showed me indicated FJs, not TPs were more likely to show facial emotion. The video was dealing with ESFX, not IXTX anyways and is a poor example for IXTX behaviors..


The video illustrates the differences between Fi and Fe.

XXFJ's and XXTP's are Fe like ISTP's and show more emotion on their face overall and all XXFP and XXTJ's are Fi's like ISTJ's and show less emotion, preferring to keep it inside.

This is useful for typing someone though I'm only doing this an a mental exercise in this case as this is a fictional character. You are correct in that age and culture/upbringing makes these natural traits harder to spot.

Dancingqueen is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #22
Amphorian
Core Member [315%]
*grin*
MBTI: ISTP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,607
 

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The video illustrates the differences between Fi and Fe.

XXFJ's and XXTP's are Fe like ISTP's and show more emotion on their face overall and all XXFP and XXTJ's are Fi's like ISTJ's and show less emotion, preferring to keep it inside.

This is useful for typing someone though I'm only doing this an a mental exercise in this case as this is a fictional character. You are correct in that age and culture/upbringing makes these natural traits harder to spot.

No, the video somewhat touched on Fi and Fe, but was primarily about the differences between ESFJs and ESFPs. Meaning it didn't illustrate Fi and Fe on a broad level (which I did in the INTJf thread I linked to).

Having Tertiary/Fourth Fe or Fi is not like having Dominant/Auxiliary Fi or Fe. Also comparing introverts to extroverts in such a manner is absurd, because dominant Fe (ESFJ) and dominant Se (ESFP) behave quite differently to their introvert counterparts, including in facial expression. Though in truth it also comes down more to the individual and their upbringing. I already noted introverts and thinkers in general are the types most likely to have less facial expressions. While ESFJs and ESFPs are both going have more facial expressions then IXTXs in general; however, the difference is ESFPs are going have a 'mask' of facial expressions to move about their surrounding more easily. While ESFJs' Fe tends to have a 'mimic' behavior since that is how Fe doms/aux related to others, so they too might not be showing their emotions, but merely mimicking to fit in or make someone else comfortable.

So yes, Fe doms are more likely to show their emotions through facial expression then Fi aux. But, taking note of that, that means the further the feeling function is from the dominant function the less likely it is expressed. Underdevelopment of a function also means that function is not going be readily expressed either.

So yes, you are correct because Fi is an introverted function that means an Fi users is less likely to reveal their emotions or internal value system. But just because an Fi users doesn't verbally express such doesn't mean their facial expression isn't showing such (as noted in the difference between my ISTJ mom and I). Again the ability to express (not just facial expressions) one self is based more so on nurture not nature (which indicates how developed the cognitive function may be in a given individual).

An ESFP can be far more revealing then an ESFJ, and an ISTJ can be more revealing then an ISTP in regards to facial expression. Generalities only go so far, especially considering facial expression isn't the best indicator of type. On the contrary behavior and why that person has such behavior (cognitive processes that resulted in them performing that behavior) as well as their interaction styles is the best indicator of someone's type.

Amphorian is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Dancingqueen
Core Member [245%]
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God
MBTI: iNTj
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,814
 

  Originally Posted by Amphorian
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
No, the video somewhat touched on Fi and Fe, but was primarily about the differences between ESFJs and ESFPs. .

This is a better video for the point I meant to express:


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dancingqueen is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #24
Amphorian
Core Member [315%]
*grin*
MBTI: ISTP
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,607
 

  Originally Posted by Dancingqueen
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This is a better video for the point I meant to express:


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And here's a perspective from an ISTP:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Look, we could show each other videos all day, but as I already stated every person is different. I'm NOT in disagreement that Fe on average is more 'animated' or 'outward' then an Fi facial expression. On the contrary I agreed with such. However, using my video I can point out that ISTP is more animated then me (I'm heavily Ti-Ni with low Se because of my upbringing). And that ISTP mentioned is what about what function is being engaged. You can tell from the video I linked to as well, that his Se is engaged because he's moving his arms, shoulders and eyebrows (an ISTP is going try to explain something visually and kinetically); however, other then that there is no other huge facial expressions from him.

And lookie another youtube video comparing ISTJ and ISTP:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Now, this video is from the same guy that you linked to for the recent Fi/Fe video. And he does mention Fi and Fe, in manner of dress and other factors. And if we go with this guy's logic, that means Katniss is an more so an ISTP then an ISTJ, because even though she has to wear plain clothes you can tell she has this 'refined and stylish taste' and even wears the mockingjay pin during the tournament (an act of defiance and supporting her own style). Her stylists also wanted to bring out her strong personality, and styled her in very simple, and elegant clothes, but in clothes that also spoke powerfully to the audience. Also, Katniss's movements and actions were bold when acting on her feelings and sometimes loud (like the time Katniss went after Peeta when he mentioned he had a crush on her). Katniss was also very smooth with her facial expressions and highly expressive when on the show (not at first, but quickly became at ease).

So even your argument of facial expressions is in favor of ITP over ITJ because even though Katniss didn't usually show facial expressions (which is normal of all IXTXs), when she did they were loud, bold and highly expressive. Also, considering her circumstances, she was engaging her thinking over her feelings more often then not which led her to show little facial expression regardless of having Fi or Fe.

But your argument's foundation, facial expressions, is less supportive compared to someone mentioning behavior, why that behavior has manifested and interaction styles.

Amphorian is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
Dancingqueen
Core Member [245%]
Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God
MBTI: iNTj
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,814
 

  Originally Posted by Amphorian
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Look, we could show each other videos all day, but as I already stated every person is different. I'm NOT in disagreement that Fe on average is more 'animated' or 'outward' then an Fi facial expression. On the contrary I agreed with such. However, using my video I can point out that ISTP is more animated then me (I'm heavily Ti-Ni with low Se because of my upbringing)..


You can't use someone from a crap childhood as a baseline for emotional expression and you need a baseline to determine average variance for Fi or Fe. The fact that you had an emotionally repressed childhood means you are less expressive than "normally raised" ISTP's. Non emotionally repressed ISTP's will have more animated and varied facial expressions than non emotionally repressed ISTJ's due to their Fe.

So what's your point? You're a bad example to type MBTI from?


As for determining peoples motivations based on behavior, it is impossible to reverse engineer motivation from behavior. That is why we use Fi/Fe and Ti/Te to determine type, because behaviors such as pausing before speaking (Ti) and expressing emotion in the upper half of the face (Fe) are outwardly visible unlike "motivations".

Dancingqueen is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, and MBTI are trademarks or registered trademarks of the
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Trust in the United States and other countries.