I want to get into online marketing and go to University entrepreneurial, finances
Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
DavidR
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTJ

I'm 23 years old. I've come to the realization that I don't want a cookie cutter career with straightforward advancement opportunities, limited ones especially. I'd like to start into affiliate marketing and develop my own products eventually. I plan to be making a comfortable income with affiliate marketing while upgrading high school credits and then getting into a University where I'll study science.

I'm not exactly sure about what degree(s) I'll pursue but I think it would be fantastic to be a part of the biology and tech. merging field where you hear of all of this augmentation of various brain/nervous system functions and the senses by interfacing with computers. Although the serious breakthroughs are a ways down the road, I believe starting into it now would prove to be very interesting work. My dream is to have multiple streams of income from various article sites and blogs while pursuing higher education and ultimately researching as a "day job".

tl;dr My plan is to support myself through University by learning and using affiliate marketing/internet marketing by way of article sites mostly and eventually my own products

Thoughts? Advice? Relatable experience? Encouraging stories only slightly related?

BTW I'm new to this site, I assume my first post is unique enough that the same situation hasn't been posted and also gives a good background of what I'll be putting myself through for the duration of my time posting in these forums :D. I've been thinking about life a lot lately and it seems that a lot of how I was previously acting and much of my previous desires and ambitions aren't compatible with the person who I am becoming. I'm happy with that.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
eagleseven
Restricted [forum rules]

MBTI: XNTJ

Are you living in a country that has state-provided higher education, or will you be paying tuition yourself? This is vital, because it will determine just how much income you will need to support yourself.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
ManWithNoName
Core Member [308%]

Originally Posted by DavidR
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm not exactly sure about what degree(s) I'll pursue but I think it would be fantastic to be a part of the biology and tech. merging field where you hear of all of this augmentation of various brain/nervous system functions and the senses by interfacing with computers. Although the serious breakthroughs are a ways down the road, I believe starting into it now would prove to be very interesting work.

Were a bit farther along then you'd think. The program I'm in deals a bit with emerging forms of technology that allow new ways of interaction. I worked as a research assistant last summer working with a haptic device which is basally a device that has movement in all directions in 3D space and provides force feedback so you can 'feel' what your touching.

From what I've seen there's basically two ways to get into it. From the tech side where you get a tech oriented degree that focuses on multimedia and emerging technology like me where I'm going for a Bachelors of Information Technology with a specialization in Interactive Multimedia and Design. Or from the psychology side where you get into cognitive psychology or cognitive science which is more the human side of things where it studies how the brain and humans interact and work with machines and things.

Regardless if you really want a research type position in this area expect to be in school for a while. You'll probably need at least a Masters degree.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Sumwun
Member [24%]

Originally Posted by DavidR
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm 23 years old. I've come to the realization that I don't want a cookie cutter career with straightforward advancement opportunities, limited ones especially. I'd like to start into affiliate marketing and develop my own products eventually. I plan to be making a comfortable income with affiliate marketing while upgrading high school credits and then getting into a University where I'll study science.

I'm not exactly sure about what degree(s) I'll pursue but I think it would be fantastic to be a part of the biology and tech. merging field where you hear of all of this augmentation of various brain/nervous system functions and the senses by interfacing with computers. Although the serious breakthroughs are a ways down the road, I believe starting into it now would prove to be very interesting work. My dream is to have multiple streams of income from various article sites and blogs while pursuing higher education and ultimately researching as a "day job".

tl;dr My plan is to support myself through University by learning and using affiliate marketing/internet marketing by way of article sites mostly and eventually my own products

Thoughts? Advice? Relatable experience? Encouraging stories only slightly related?

BTW I'm new to this site, I assume my first post is unique enough that the same situation hasn't been posted and also gives a good background of what I'll be putting myself through for the duration of my time posting in these forums :D. I've been thinking about life a lot lately and it seems that a lot of how I was previously acting and much of my previous desires and ambitions aren't compatible with the person who I am becoming. I'm happy with that.

I suggest you start blogging now. You can never start too soon.

Also, I would recommend you stay away from anything touted as "future technology". Such fields are very risky. You don't want to end up like the college grads who majored in "green technology", do you? Focus on something people need right now, not something they might need 20 years from now.

Instead of something combining neurology and computers, major in one or the other. If you major in neurology, you must go to grad school, or you'll get no job. If you major in computers, you will probably need to know spanish and be able to program in very new state of the art computer languages, since a lot of jobs are being outsourced to India now. Programmers are a dime in a dozen.

Above all else, pick something that's in demand, start blogging, and maybe write a book and publish it for some side income. I'd say it's better to secure multiple forms of income now rather than finishing school then trying to secure income.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
DavidR
New Member [01%]

Thank you all for the feedback. Upgrading high school courses will take about a year so I still have time to narrow down which program I'll go into.

Originally Posted by eagleseven
Are you living in a country that has state-provided higher education, or will you be paying tuition yourself? This is vital, because it will determine just how much income you will need to support yourself.

I will be supporting myself, however my province has student loans available that don't gain interest until some time after graduation. Also, the army reserve will be helping a bit with my tuition.

---------- Post added 11-22-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Sumwun
I suggest you start blogging now. You can never start too soon.

Also, I would recommend you stay away from anything touted as "future technology". Such fields are very risky. You don't want to end up like the college grads who majored in "green technology", do you? Focus on something people need right now, not something they might need 20 years from now.

Instead of something combining neurology and computers, major in one or the other. If you major in neurology, you must go to grad school, or you'll get no job. If you major in computers, you will probably need to know spanish and be able to program in very new state of the art computer languages, since a lot of jobs are being outsourced to India now. Programmers are a dime in a dozen.

Above all else, pick something that's in demand, start blogging, and maybe write a book and publish it for some side income. I'd say it's better to secure multiple forms of income now rather than finishing school then trying to secure income.

I would most definitely go with something that is being heavily researched now and will continue to be.

I'm assuming you know a little about blogging. Any tips as to how to go about finding a good balance between my interests and a profitable niche? I am probably going to lean more toward article sites, but blogging seems to be a natural fit if I'm looking for online income anyway. Why not... If you know of or have had success with an affiliate program I'm all ears as well.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
ManWithNoName
Core Member [308%]

Originally Posted by Sumwun

Generally it's not that much of a risk. I know a couple people who are in 'green' engineering. It's basically an engineering degree with a couple extra courses focused on green technology. If they find out that there's not much of a demand or it's a bust they are still able to do more traditional engineering stuff.

Most 'new' degree's I have found to be like this. They don't just completely make up the degree from scratch. They take an existing degree and add on a couple of courses in order to specialize it. The way technology and society is going specialization is becoming more and more important. Even if you don't end up using the specialization it still sets you apart on your degree were, like the green engineering people I know, you know all the fundamental stuff plus extra.

If you major in computers, you will probably need to know spanish and be able to program in very new state of the art computer languages, since a lot of jobs are being outsourced to India now. Programmers are a dime in a dozen.

This is kind of true. The computer/information technology field is very large though. If you just learn the basic stuff or get a general degree you may run into problems. The key is to specialize. I specialize in Interactive Multimedia and Design which is more media focused and combines back end programming with front end design.

Specialization is a risk where there is always the chance that what you specialized in will become obsolete or not needed that much but I think it's becoming more and more unavoidable. It's not enough to have a degree anymore, you need to have niche. You just have to have a solid enough foundation so that if your specialization that if it does become obsolete you can quickly learn something new. In the field I'm in it's the reality I live with. I am continually teaching myself stuff (usually via google) and have to continually adapt.

Unless your going to be a doctor or something I think the days are gone where you can pretty much learn a body of knowledge and then just milk it for the rest of your life. We are advancing at such a rate now that to remain really relevant you are going to have to really learn to adapt if you want to be on the cutting edge.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Sumwun
Member [24%]

Originally Posted by ManWithNoName
Unless your going to be a doctor or something I think the days are gone where you can pretty much learn a body of knowledge and then just milk it for the rest of your life. We are advancing at such a rate now that to remain really relevant you are going to have to really learn to adapt if you want to be on the cutting edge.

This is still very true for doctors as well. You can't keep your dvm/md without a certain number of continuing education credits per year.

Tags
entrepreneurial, finances