Who Is An Alpha Male? None
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Cooper
Core Member [1848%]
"There will come a day when my heart is a cold hard stone. That is the day I will smile."
MBTI: INTJ

People talk about the "Alpha Male" and give a description of what that is.....how about some names?

WHO is an Alpha Male? What man, living or dead, embodies that description....and why?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Zsych
Core Member [468%]
MBTI: XNTX

I think they are talking about immature animal-like alpha definitions that can relate to women who think on a similar level. So a bunch of nobodies.
Zsych is online
Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
True Rune
Core Member [211%]
Dying is as pointless as living.

I thought we used this for wolves, not men. I think men only go with it to feel more "manly".
Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Distance
Core Member [713%]
Gut shoddy
MBTI: eNTj

Linking my post from another thread:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
zibber
Core Member [512%]

Andrew Dice Clay

"Jack and Jill went up the hill/
I am a retarded chauvinist."

(Not necessarily an actual Dice line.)
Old 11-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
JC22
Core Member [147%]
Pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris.
MBTI: XXXX

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
ppu6502
Special Snowflake
ok
MBTI: INTj

Cooper
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #8
MrFox
Banned

MBTI: InTJ

Steve Jobs, JP Morgan, Larry Ellison, Ted Turner, Roger Staubach, JayZ.

EDIT: Why? - courage, character, intelligence, leadership, drive, humility (though this is often hard to discern)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #9
CaelestisPeste
Core Member [143%]

Very subjective. I would say, in terms of our modern disposition, anyone who is exceptional in their field: it still requires the natural traits: intelligence, strength, and perseverance.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
benr3600
Member [28%]

Originally Posted by MrFox
Steve Jobs, JP Morgan, Larry Ellison, Ted Turner, Roger Staubach, JayZ; Warrior is the closest thing to it at Forum - still a work in progress though.

EDIT: Why? - courage, character, intelligence, leadership, drive, humility (though this is often hard to discern)

wat

I would also add "walks the walk, doesn't talk the talk." Then again that probably falls under humility.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
Zsych
Core Member [468%]

humility

Humility - false self-deprecation, is not a becoming quality in a man. Even though you do see it in some better quality men. Its kinda like a tall person developing a hunched posture to seem more normal to people who are short.

Zsych is online
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 AM   #12
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]

I usually think of Alpha males as ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP types. However, I can see how an INTJ, INTP ENTP, ISTP or ISTJ could be one too.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
CrudeHypothesis
Veteran Member [78%]

I always thought
Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #14
CaelestisPeste
Core Member [143%]

Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
I usually think of Alpha males as ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP types.

no introverts...
I don't believe being sociable and outgoing can be interpreted as being alpha.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
Zsych
Core Member [468%]

Being dominating requires a social component.
Zsych is online
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #16
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]

Originally Posted by CaelestisPeste

no introverts...
I don't believe being sociable and outgoing can be interpreted as being alpha.

I disagree. Being outgoing is not a defining feminine trait nor is introversion a male one. Sorry.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #17
CaelestisPeste
Core Member [143%]

What if a person is naturally introverted, but is able to command attention, due to his/her professional position?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #18
MrFox
Banned

MBTI: InTJ

Originally Posted by benr3600
wat

I would also add "walks the walk, doesn't talk the talk." Then again that probably falls under humility.

By humility I meant to refer to the quality of recognizing one's personal weaknesses and fallibility - something Steve Jobs had to learn the hard way. Not to appearing meek in public - that's why I mentioned it might be hard to detect.

I usually think of Alpha males as ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP types. However, I can see how an INTJ, INTP ENTP, ISTP or ISTJ could be one too.

Johnny Carson, the legendary comedian and TV host, was an introvert, as I understand it. Seems like an introvert can appear to be an extravert when he takes his persona (not himself) on stage and performs to an audience from a script of sorts - worked for me in court.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #19
SeverusSin
Restricted [forum rules]

MBTI: xNxx

Leadership and confidence. Simple.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM   #20
Reverb
New Member [01%]

Personally I think Leonardo da Vinci was an alpha male due to his sheer genius and ability to do practically anything he put his mind to.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #21
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx

I am, because HHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #22
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]

By humility I meant to refer to the quality of recognizing one's personal weaknesses and fallibility - something Steve Jobs had to learn the hard way. Not to appearing meek in public - that's why I mentioned it might be hard to detect.

Johnny Carson, the legendary comedian and TV host, was an introvert, as I understand it. Seems like an introvert can appear to be an extravert when he takes his persona (not himself) on stage and performs to an audience from a script of sorts - worked for me in court.

Actually I just thought about Clint Eastwood who definitely seems like an ISTJ or INTJ Alpha male as Dirty Harry.

Also, Bruce Wayne being ISTJ or INTJ

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #23
AnaK
Core Member [142%]
MBTI: inFp

Bond. James Bond. (Especially when played by Sean Connery!)

Personally, I don't like the alpha males. I remember reading an article about the Rat Pack. Frank Sinatra was clearly the alpha male. He pretty much told everyone what to do. Contrary to his public persona, Dean Martin was actually not much of a drinker or carouser. Frank usually gave people grief if they cut out of a party early. But Dean Martin would just say, "I've got to go, I've got a girl in my room." That was a lie. He wanted to go to bed early and get up early to go golfing the next morning. I think in real life Dean Martin was an introvert. Dean was way more cool than Frank Sinatra would ever be. Theres something ever-so-sexy about a man who could have any woman in the world, and yet goes to bed alone and has an early tee-time. My aunt lived in LA. She said she would see him quietly eating alone in this Italian restaurant sometimes.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Dung
Core Member [110%]

Che Guevara.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #25
Fubudis
Veteran Member [68%]
MBTI: iXTp

Alphas tend to be borderline I/E. They're not reliant on either to be happy, but can adapt to both.

SJs can't be alpha, they have no sense of humor.