Student Loan Deferment/Forbearance? finances
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
ProfessorMurder
Member [05%]
MBTI: INTJ

Does anyone have any experience with putting off loans? Care to share some of your stories?

I've been worried about starting repayment since I haven't been able to find full time and permanent work, and I'm living at home. I ran into a woman last night who told me to look into deferment or forbearance.

It doesn't seem too difficult to qualify for, and it sounds like it would be very helpful to me... I know interest can accrue depending on the loans I have, but I can pay that as it gathers.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Storm
Core Member [409%]
I knew from the moment she walked into my office she was trouble.
MBTI: xxxx

Deferments are pretty easy to get. If I remember correctly, you just sign an oath that you are unemployed. You have to prove you are looking for work by also saying you have applied for something like 6 jobs in the past 3 months and that you are registered with a job search agent (such as monster.com). Deferment can only last for 6 months at a time, and there is a limit to how many times you can do it.

This website is helpful
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
DeaconSyre
Member [38%]
MBTI: INFP

Income Based Repayment is the best thing ever (assuming you qualify), imo.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx

As said before, 'unemployed' deferment is easy to come by and worthwhile to keep yourself from defaulting.

Some lenders will actually let you extend your term and graduate your payments--for example my private lender would allow me to extend my loan term to 25 years from 10, and taper the payments upward--starting low, then increasing over time (presumably when I'd be most financially stable). I haven't done it even though my monthly payments are astronomical, I want to be done with my loans ASAP because I don't know where I'll be in 10 years...could be jobless!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Fox
Member [48%]

Currently on it after I got laid off.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
cynthiaR
New Member [01%]

Applying for a loan is not easy, it's as hard as paying it. With regards to this, college students from around the country delivered 130,000 letters to Congress on Tues. The letters all ask Congress to act before student loan rates increase on July 1. The current lower rate is a result of 2007 Democrat-supported regulation that is due to expire. Republicans in Congress say the move is too costly. Democrats say it is only fair. Source of article:
Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
zippikay
Member [15%]

another useful website to see the total amount and the principal of your student loan if you are in US

Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]

MBTI: INtj

I had a loan in Canada. I had to apply for what you call a deferment every six months, but the timing was very tricky. It was paramount to apply within a month's window to be able to qualify for the next period, so be absolutely sure you get the most exact information, preferably from more than one agent, as they often don't know what they're talking about. If you have any illness or disability, do mention it--you might qualify for a loan forgiveness. Also there might be a period after which you can get a forgiveness anyway.
John F Kennedy is online

Tags
finances