Character traits you find most unattractive or annoying? None
Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
poetandknowit
New Member [01%]
Apparently common sense is not so common.
MBTI: INFJ

When it comes to relationships (friendship, romantic, enemy, indifferent acquaintance, etc.) what are some character traits you consider to be negative or unattractive?

Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Fubudis
Veteran Member [68%]
MBTI: iXTp

Originally Posted by poetandknowit
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
When it comes to relationships (friendship, romantic, enemy, indifferent acquaintance, etc.) what are some character traits you consider to be negative or unattractive?

People that are over-analytical. And wrong. All the time. Over-analytical is fine, if you're theories are actually grounded and correct.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Kricket
Core Member [118%]
Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things. Well known fact.
― Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters
MBTI: INfJ

Rudeness, aggressiveness, poor time/money management, anti-intellectualism.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Iota Null
Core Member [357%]
712.5b) The player who’s being controlled [by another player] still chooses whether he or she leaves to visit the restroom.
MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by Kricket
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All of these, plus immaturity, constant condescension (yes, I know I do it sometimes), "potty humour" and not drawing what I consider acceptable lines with their jokes. In particular regarding the last one: overuse of the word "special" as a prejorative.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Beric
Member [33%]

Originally Posted by Iota Null
All of these, plus immaturity, constant condescension (yes, I know I do it sometimes), "potty humour" and not drawing what I consider acceptable lines with their jokes. In particular regarding the last one: overuse of the word "special" as a prejorative.

Agreed on these. Also adding the pointless use of language. I've never found a need for swearing, and find it just cheapens speech. And while I won't ever stop someone else from doing so, I honestly see it as simply lacking a good vocabulary, and throwing in a filler word, or else for pure shock value. Read a dictionary! And don't talk just to attract attention to yourself, or to establish your disregard for proper speech.

I also don't like it when people are very open with their political and moral views, without the situation or conversation topic calling for it. I have my strongly-held opinions, as do others. But the last thing I want is such things getting in between an otherwise good friendship or relationship. Don't walk up to me and assume I'm liberal just because I'm young, and then start talking about politics. I'll talk such things only when I know you well, and even then, I'll try my best to not come out strong, and to find a middle ground.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
ProfessorMurder
Member [05%]

Originally Posted by Iota Null
"potty humour" and not drawing what I consider acceptable lines with their jokes.

Give me an example of 'unacceptable' material.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Iota Null
Core Member [357%]
712.5b) The player who’s being controlled [by another player] still chooses whether he or she leaves to visit the restroom.

Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Give me an example of 'unacceptable' material.

Pointing at laughing at the handicapped would probably be the most obvious example. Pretty much anything whose entire humour value depends on it being at someone else's expense. I don't mind racist jokes etc, as long as they're actually witty (
being an example of a set that is), rather than depending on the offense for their humour value.

I forgot the excessive swearing, but yes, that's a major turn-off too.

I'm the opposite to Beric regarding politics etc, though -- I find it an active turn *on* if someone is willing to discuss politics, economics or religion early on, and doubly so if they defend their views well enough to make me consider changing my mind.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Dion
Member [18%]
MBTI: XXXX

Fuck that shit..
Old 08-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
AgentOH
Member [02%]

Argumentative people, mainly.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Distance
Core Member [714%]
Gut shoddy
MBTI: eNTj

Misogyny, PUA, religiosity to the degree of needing to convert other people, narrow world view, deliberate ignorance, victim or predator mentality, oversensitivity, overemotionalism, and drama seekers.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Zionoxis
Banned

MBTI: INTP

Over-withdrawn
Argumentative and Emotional (I am up for a good debate, but if you are not even logical..I feel as if I am talking to an idiot..wait..I am)
Close minded
Ignorant
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Ilara
Veteran Member [95%]

Originally Posted by Kricket

Originally Posted by Distance
Misogyny, PUA, religiosity to the degree of needing to convert other people, narrow world view, deliberate ignorance, victim or predator mentality.

I agree with these.

I also would add: bad manners or inconsiderate behaviour. I find it extremely unpleasant and unappealing when somebody treats others badly for no reason.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
qstoffe
Member [11%]

Arrogance and being too closed/condescending/dismissive to input.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Haumea
Core Member [109%]

Misogyny, PUA, religiosity to the degree of needing to convert other people, narrow world view, deliberate ignorance, victim or predator mentality.

I think it's fascinating how people perceive "PUA" as some kind of identity or public image thing, akin to "feminist."

PUAs aren't going to tell you they're PUAs in real life (unless they're selling product, obviously.)

But they are laughing at how silly you are -- in secret. It's just so much fun to taunt you here.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
Distance
Core Member [714%]
Gut shoddy
MBTI: eNTj

Originally Posted by Haumea
I think it's fascinating how people perceive "PUA" as some kind of identity or public image thing, akin to "feminist."

PUAs aren't going to tell you they're PUAs in real life (unless they're selling product, obviously.)

But they are laughing at how silly you are -- in secret. It's just so much fun to taunt you here.

Based on the hairy street corner messiah terminology of PUAs, it's a seriously messed up cult.

Methodology is methodology. You know it when you see it. Like now, where you're attempting to assert dominance over me. As with unwashed, smelly street corner, sign toting fanatics, it's as likely you'll dominate me as the weirdo with the sign.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
Persona
Veteran Member [70%]
The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.
MBTI: INfj

Intellectual arrogance
-"I don't understand this so it must be wrong"
-"You haven't addressed my points, only dodged them"
-"I don't need sources, I just know"
-"I never said X, prove that I said X"
etc.

I have more but I am off work now :D
Old 08-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
AGHRMS
Member [27%]
"When a girl with a flat chest hugs you she's holding you closer to her heart."
MBTI: INFP

Demand Respect
Close Minded
Hypocritical
Arrogant
Ignorant
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
mrblack
New Member [01%]

I dislike arrogance and envy.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
AnaK
Core Member [142%]
MBTI: inFp

People who play mind games and/or enjoy and create conflict!!!

Competitive people. Nosy people. People who think they are smarter than they really are. Defensive people (although sometimes that can be excused.) Put-down humor.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
sevans
Member [48%]
Not sixes, fours, or fives
MBTI: INtJ

Greed, Arrogance, stupidity, being overly outgoing, and being preachy

I try to surround myself with people like me, generally easy going, nice, friendly, open minded, and ambitious. Of the people I associate with, most of them are at least introverted. I think that's the most hated thing on my list, people who go out of their way to make new friends everywhere they go, with everyone. That pisses me off, I never really understood popularity other than it equated to social power and I love having power.

Most hated/loved thing about myself? Well basically I'm a personality sponge, I am who the group is, so if I'm with a huge group of esfp's, I'm going to be like them and if I'm with intj's I'm going to be like them. In my natural state, I'm an intj but I generally become the kind of person I hate when in public, loud, obnoxious, and stupid. It kills me.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #21
Coralaisly
Veteran Member [80%]
Nothing says "Christmas" like cannibalistic light-up reindeer.
MBTI: XXXX

Getting into an argument with me and correcting my grammar. It makes me want to kill. If we're anywhere close to a relationship he knows better.

Overconfidence. It makes me want to knock him down a notch.

Sheer lack of confidence. I'm not your mom, it's not my job to tell you you're special all the damned time. If she didn't enough, maybe it's because you aren't. Not everyone gets to be special, you know...

Whininess.

Clinginess.

Immaturity.

Poor table manners (Close your mouth when you eat, or I will sew it shut. Do you really want to test to see if I'm joking? *laces darning needle*) but that can be learned.

Rudeness.

Expectation of me to follow strict gender rules (I WILL work outside of the home, I WILL be independent of you, and I am not a free maid or live in nanny. If you want me to pick up after you, you WILL have to pay me. And, no, sex is not acceptable currency.) I'm not the barefoot in the kitchen type, and if you try to force it on me you'll be very unhappy with the result.

Expectation of me to convert to your religion.

Violence. Simply won't put up with that BS. Hit me and I'll slap you with a lawsuit AND take everything you've ever loved and burn it while you watch. There may or may not be s'mores.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #22
sevans
Member [48%]
Not sixes, fours, or fives
MBTI: INtJ

Originally Posted by Coralaisly
Violence. Simply won't put up with that BS. Hit me and I'll slap you with a lawsuit AND take everything you've ever loved and burn it while you watch. There may or may not be s'mores.

You do realize that if you pull that shit on the wrong person, they become one of those people who has nothing to live for and might very well burn your house to the ground on Christmas eve with you and your whole family in it.

Now don't take it as a threat, just take it as a warning that when you take all someone lives for from them, you leave them much more available to throw away their life.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
Blackgatta
New Member [01%]

Cruelty
Narcissism
Stupidity (this is merely annoying, I am willing to put up with a degree of stupidity if the person is kind)
Unreliability
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Vermillion
Suspended

MBTI: XNXX

Presumptuousness. Thinking they know what I'm really thinking or feeling and getting it dead wrong pisses me off.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
Purgatid
Veteran Member [64%]

Being inconsiderate of other people's feelings.