INTJ which marketing function? None
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
stn0404
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ

I was from a legal industry working in a law as paralegal but i find it's too narrow and limited in progress.

I am now looking at marketing. Which marketing function is most suitable for INTJ?

Law is abit rigid and too routine, i need something that is flexible.

Can anyone advise?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
undfined
Member [05%]

I dislike narrowing it down to a specific role in a department like marketing - but knowing your competition, price models, and customers is a start before learning or developing the strategic components for good marketing plan execution. Help with the execution, then live in the metrics and direct everyone's attention to what's really driving revenue.

Focus on revenue and the company will like you.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
stn0404
New Member [01%]

is marketing research a role INTJ will excel in?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Paji eh Wong
Member [20%]

MBTI: INXJ

I work in B2B market research. We do research on industrial markets, so things like chemicals, industrial products, and power and energy.

In general, I quite like the milieu. I get to learn new things all the time. Our company helps other companies know their markets better. At higher levels, you help companies out with their strategies, which is amazing.

The down side is that the research process can be tedious. Being a researcher or analyst is quite boring. You want to minimize the time you spend doing that.

I've moved over to the business development side.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
stn0404
New Member [01%]

it seems like administrative work or work that requires alot of details, or u have several scopes mixed into one job are not suitable for INTJ.

but i have read on website that administrator is one of the career choices for INTJ. but why INTJ dun find themselves working in that role?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Paji eh Wong
Member [20%]

MBTI: INXJ

I wouldn't call research "admin work". It is mostly picking up the phone and calling people. I found the learning curve decreased quickly after a couple of projects, because you keep doing the same methodology over and over and over again.

It may depend on the company. We pride ourselves on being systematic, and I've never worked for another company.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Beric
Member [33%]

I'm an INTJ going into marketing. Currently into my last year of college. There are 2 main areas in marketing an INTJ will excel at. This is especially true as marketing seems to be a sensor's field, at least in all of my classes.

1. Marketing research: identifying marketing trends and making connections. You see possible explanations, outcomes, and conclusions no one else does. Intuition at work, and it's honestly pretty nice. Do NOT get into administrative/data entry and the like. You need to be doing the thinking, analysis, planning, and writing, and leave the grunt work to others. Know how to do some of the administrative, but don't get deep into it.

2. Marketing strategy: it's like a strategy game. Not sure if you're into those (like me), but INTJ's are excellent at seeing the big picture, forming plans, and then forming backup plans. The INTJ mind is a strategic mind. This is my dream kind of position, though I do fear the people management somewhat that will go along with such a position.

Marketing research will probably be my first job out of college, and if I get one, I'm sure I'll do well and enjoy it. However, my goals are nothing other than a marketing executive strategy position. I'm also pretty good with tech (for a marketing student), and definitely plan to work in a tech company. Specialization seems to be great, and my niche does seem pretty popular with companies so far.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Geminii
Member [14%]
MBTI: INTX

Demographic analysis?