Bad Characteristics of INTJ's None
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
BlSH0P
Member [20%]
MBTI: xxxx

I know being an INTJ is nothing to be ashamed of, but no one can deny that with every personality, there is always room for improvement. Which traits of INTJ's are bad or should be improved?

Should INTJ's be less introverted, and try to communicate better with society?

Should INTJ's refrain from being perfectionists? Could being a perfectionist escalate into irrationality?

Should INTJ's quite being such pessimists? Should we stop being so cynical? Is it better to just enjoy life, or constantly critique and slam it?

These I am assuming are all common traits of INTJ's. Any other poor traits you can think of, please post and explain why such traits need to be improved. Think of it as a personality-evaluation. I'm hoping this thread can provide insight on how and why INTJ's should improve their "negative qualities". Many of you have thought about this before, and now is a time to share and learn from other people. All advice is welcome.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
EnsconcedDeity
Member [22%]
MBTI: INFJ

I don't see any of these characteristics as "bad". If anything, these characteristics
should be embraced. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, a perfectionist, or a pessimist.
Just because we don't fit social norms doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with us.
Since when has society been right about anything? INTJ's do have undesirable traits but
what you listed is far from it. Maybe being a pessimist could be unappealing but that's
part of the INTJ rationality. If you can't comprehend that, then you're no INTJ.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Shadizar
Core Member [171%]
MBTI: INTJ

What are you talking about??? We're perfect, it's the rest of the word...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
TaoShaffer
Member [03%]

Originally Posted by BlSH0P
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I know being an INTJ is nothing to be ashamed of, but no one can deny that with every personality, there is always room for improvement. Which traits of INTJ's are bad or should be improved?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Should a fish try to fly? Yes, however, we should be realistic, we can try for a time to fit in with the world, but ultimately we will need to return to our natural environment. As a side-note I think flying fish are pretty cool.

Should INTJ's refrain from being perfectionists? Could being a perfectionist escalate into irrationality?

No and Yes. Insisting on perfection or as close to it as possible is what provides impetus to improve on oneself. Though perfection is unattainable, we still continue to be able to improve at least to near-perfection. However, perfectionism has its pitfalls and it is important to recognize the limitations in ourselves and others. Otherwise you will exhibit OCD tendencies and will become a burden to yourself and possibly others.

Should INTJ's quite being such pessimists? Should we stop being so cynical? Is it better to just enjoy life, or constantly critique and slam it?

Also tying in with perfectionism. Compromising on your principles is never healthy as you will continue to slide the expectations back until you have no principles. While you may be easier to get along with and happier, there will not be any growth or improvement. You will stagnate and become indifferent to the world. A fat slob laying on a couch without a shred of outrage left in you to get up and turn off the TV.

These I am assuming are all common traits of INTJ's. Any other poor traits you can think of, please post and explain why such traits need to be improved. Think of it as a personality-evaluation. I'm hoping this thread can provide insight on how and why INTJ's should improve their "negative qualities". Many of you have thought about this before, and now is a time to share and learn from other people. All advice is welcome.

For myself, I need to learn to stop reaching for the hammer every time there is something that makes me angry. I could definitely learn to find other ways to resolve my problems than charging head-long into them.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Merak
Member [23%]
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by EnsconcedDeity
I don't see any of these characteristics as "bad". If anything, these characteristics
should be embraced.

To expand off of what Ensconced said, these traits are not bad unless they are holding you back from achieving your goals.

One can be introverted, but still capable of communicating when needed.

As long as one doesn't lose touch with reality, I believe perfectionism is a good trait.

Some of the best comedians and writers are also the most cynical and pessimistic.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
ManWithNoName
Core Member [324%]

I'd don't think INTJ's should try to be anything but prehaps a bit humbler but you could say that about people of all types who are immature and arrogant. I find a lot of immature INTJ's bascially haven't realized that just because you don't need people dosen't make you better than them.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
killyridols
Banned

MBTI: INFP

Originally Posted by ManWithNoName
I'd don't think INTJ's should try to be anything but prehaps a bit humbler but you could say that about people of all types who are immature and arrogant. I find a lot of immature INTJ's bascially haven't realized that just because you don't need people dosen't make you better than them.

I was reading through the thread and this is exactly what I was going to say.

Humility.

I'd love to see more "I can use my genius intellect / rational thought processes to really help society as a whole. Here's how." and less "I can take over the world" and no more "I'm going to use my genius intellect to try to use pick up artist tactics on unsuspecting women to sleep with them"

I see quite a few who have this humility down on these forums and the younger members would do well by themselves to take after them.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Jalex
Member [29%]
뚜루왑 두밥 두밥 (뜸바리 둡)!!!
MBTI: InTJ

When introversion stops being related to socialization then we will be good. Many INTJs are great with their communication skills, that is how they can manage to "lead" from behind. So no.

No. This is our best trait.

Cynical? pessimists? Nothing to do with INTJs. Whomever has that attitude it should learn to behave himself, but many INTJs aren't like that. We do analyze and see things quite objective, but that doesn't imply all these characteristics.

I might say that INTJs should be less rigid, and that's a characteristic we all share. We tend to think that our analytic skills are flawless and that once we have reached a conclusion we are bulletproof. That works when we don't have to socialize with other analytical minds, but when we in this "know it all" situation then we get several "boots on the head" if we think we know but actually don't know.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Mike1975
Member [06%]

I'm always a fan of bein less introverted when possible. It's healthy to have a balance or you end up buying books on how to pick up girls and that's just weird. The worst quality in being a perfectionist to me is that I alienate myself and typically have no coworker friends. Due to my being right most of the time, knowing more about subjects than my supervisors, and intolerance for inefficiency and mistakes. However I have tried to minimize these things that cause friction and the only one I've been successful at is being more social (still introverted and dislike people) but you could never tell by meeting me. In closing just enjoy being you don't buy books on how to get girls into bed and all should work out.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
Phasor
Member [04%]

I agree with some of the others that the “badness” (or goodness) of a trait depends on whether or not the trait is hindering you from (or helping you to) achieving some goal (which will depend on the situation).

Introversion can be very useful. While all the superficial ding-dongs are out doing superficial ding-dong stuff, we are building our understanding of reality, discovering who we are and generally cultivating the things that make it kick-ass to be human.

In general, I see being a perfectionist as a good thing. The people with this drive are often the ones that push society forward. Without the drive to constantly improve, where would humanity be? Perfectionism does have its’ pitfalls, though. I sometimes have panic attacks over whether something I did was good enough. And it can become an irrational obsession, as you pointed out, where one loses a sort of cost-v-benefit perspective and pursues perfection at any cost – not healthy at all.

I think a little pessimism and cynicism is good. I feel like it gives me an edge of sorts, keeps my fire going. If I ever become some flaccid, overly tolerant butt-hole, kill me.
I Don’t know if I ever want to be that totally healthy INTJ – doesn’t seem exciting.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
BlSH0P
Member [20%]
MBTI: xxxx

Originally Posted by EnsconcedDeity
should be embraced. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, a perfectionist, or a pessimist.
Just because we don't fit social norms doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with us.
Since when has society been right about anything? INTJ's do have undesirable traits but
what you listed is far from it. Maybe being a pessimist could be unappealing but that's
part of the INTJ rationality. If you can't comprehend that, then you're no INTJ.

No, believe me, I defend all of those traits listed above. But I have a tendency to question everything, and it's good to hear other people's opinions. And I only wrote those as examples, I was just looking for feedback on traits I should remove or improve

---------- Post added 06-09-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

These are all great comments. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #12
LCJ
Member [04%]

The answers to your questions are all no.

Introversion is why I avoid parties where people get sloppy drunk and high on drugs. It is why many of my "upstanding" friends either have arrests or very embarrassing incidents in their pasts and I don't. It means you also avoid alot of the silly mindless socializing that serves no purpose. Most INTJs are perfectly capable of interacting with others when they need to.

Perfectionism is what drives most successful people. Obviously, it can lead to obsession and problems in the extreme but most people are fully capable of keeping it in check. Perfectionism is why many INTJs can set high standards and deliver on them.

I disagree with pessimism. I call it realism. When I think something has a good chance of success I am optimistic. However, I think many things will fail not because I have a bias towards a negative outcome but I have assessed the matter and I have found serious weaknesses that lead to believe it will not be successful. In the overwhelming majority of cases I turn out to be correct. I find it frustrating that people call it pessimism when in fact it is often an INTJ trying to point out flaws in order to improve something and make it successful.

Any trait in excess is harmful and should be improved upon. That is something that requires an individual assessment. There are a number of threads where people on this forum have done just that. A blanket declaration of a bad trait for an INTJ is unlikely to be useful because even though we share a number of similarities, we don't share them all to the same degree.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #13
deckard
Member [46%]
MBTI: IsTJ

No.

Impossible.

See "balls on accurate" for the appropriate definition of cynicism.

I kid. But seriously. Did you know the tenets of Cynics were actually fairly optimistic? More in line with the bohemian flower children's way. It's just it doesn't gel with INTJs anymore because it's not practical if you're shooting for becoming influential over society's woes at some point and not just a bum.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
henry15
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INtj

I love being an INJ type, but my dominant function Ni unfortunately leads to some problems with people, mostly me being annoyed. I feel misunderstood. But I have my fantasies and Internet buddies for social satisfaction.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
jonathanb
Member [06%]

Enjoying life was the hardest part for me. For most of my life, I could not understand what "fun" was like others perceived it. Others would say that "they're having fun", and I would not understand. I could be "happy", but "fun" was beyond me. It took me many years to learn to live the moment and feel some of that "fun". For me, it was about letting go of some of my defenses, and flowing more with the moment and situation.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
Avid
Member [10%]
MBTI: INTj

The traits are not the problem. How the world at large perceives these traits is a problem and how we choose to advertise these traits is a problem.

Introvertedness:
Lot of the time NT's aren't really that introverted but its just that when you try to talk to most people you might as well have a giant cock on your forehead. I share a story about how a dog was chasing a car so fervently it ran into a tree and died. I tell them how funny it is to me. Obviously, it sucks the dog died, but the whole process of how he died seems so ridiculous of course it is funny. I get around the right people and I'll converse for a long while.
I think the big problem is NT's need to know how to be perceived correctly in general. Normal people have a different emotional reactivity to words and events and you have to initialize a more "comforting, not threatening" persona. People should first work to be as comfortable as possible and then if they find something lacking work to make it happen as best they can.

Perfectionism:
This is our greatest strength when kept within a reasonable range, imo. I hate to lose and I hate to do a task more poorly than someone else. I have a natural tendency to want to practice the competitive task until I am the same level or beyond a person (when I care about the task). Problem with this is I used to use my "irritated, angry" voice so the other person naturally thinks I'm being all aggressive, pissy, and scary at THEM (ALWAYS ABOUT THEEEEEM). I am irritated at myself and that irritation makes me want to be better. You can pretty much do and say ANYTHING so long as you keep your voice gentle/neutral and your body language relaxed and non threatening.

Pessimism:
I think by nature we are the ones of the group who aren't really supposed to be "happy". I am never "happy". I can be peaceful and I can feel satisfied but never truly happy. We (me) would be ones that would plan for every conceivable threat to our family and friends and ways to safeguard them in whatever ways we can. I think this started around 7-8 when I was planning safety for my imaginary tribe. I imagined battle tactics my imaginary tribe could use against the other imaginary tribe and felt like a dumb ass when I realized I could just poison their food or lake and not lose any of my "men". I also imagined intricate trapping systems intended to maim or kill. Then I thought of ones just for capture in case we wanted to try to convert them to be one of us in a peaceful, slow training process. I also thought of ways you could live in an area but hide the evidence so if an outsider passed through they wouldn't notice (which is about impossible). Also, I recall walking through a long stretch of woods with a friend of mine and almost instinctively began tearing leaves off branches. After a while he asked me why I was doing it and I told him I didn't really know, it was "fun". Then I thought about it and realized I had made us a perfect trail to follow back after we got a bit turned around and lost. My ferociously torn leaves were our ticket back to civilization. <--- I thought I was a genius and that nobody had thought of these things, I was wrong, wrong, wrong, LOL.

I just focus more on the bad possibilities since they can hurt the most. Sure it would be awesome if I spent 10k on a new pool but the next time I have a car wreck or someone gets sick I'd be behind on bills and who knows what. Obviously, you can't predict it all but some things are just common sense. Like, I used to have 2-3 weeks worth of water and rations for about 5 people stored away in case of emergency (and medical supplies and a whole list of must haves in case of emergency situation). People said I was being pessimistic and silly until it became useful. Haven't restocked it yet because I lived off it for about 2 months (recovering from brain issues). I feel the happiest when I know I have navigated away or planned for negative possibilities. When the scenario comes to pass I am prepared and it isn't so bad. Pessimism also keeps me more aware. This is why my cousin burned her house down by not turning off a heater in winter, I am too OCD for that. Given the circumstances if she had been home she probably would have lost her baby. I know for a fact if I had been there it wouldn't have happened. But it was a miracle, "from GOD", that she wasn't home! Sigh. I am always worst case scenario and how to avoid it, I just keep it to myself unless asked. Again, the issue here comes down more to perception. Instead of saying, "Jim, the sky might be falling and all your family might starve" it might be better to say, "In case there is a shortage your family should be more comfortable and everyone will be happier knowing you thought about their well being". You have to make an effort not to let your "negativity" affect others life experience so they see it in a positive light (which they should).

Being cynical though is a good and a bad but thats a topic too long to type up. I have learned far more about behavior from my chickens than I ever have from people. When its simplified down its the same game, ours is just busier.

TL:DR: We're awesome and our traits are awesome. We just get perceived wrong.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Tactical Panda
Core Member [133%]

Bad traits:
1. I tend to abuse intelligence by cramming in my studies instead of steady repetitive diligence. I'm not working as hard as I could be.
2. I overreact to threats and weaknesses from myself. When I teach people and am sleep deprived, I plan out the entire lesson! Every single question I ask - total overkill, just incase I am about to fall asleep. When I find a weakness in myself, I need to beat it and improve - drop everything else I'm doing!
3. My will power could be stronger in terms of social challenges - making strong choices instead of easy choices.
4. I don't think about people enough. When I try to walk around in their shoes to see what it is like, it still feels clinical.
5. I don't hold showing warmth to others as a higher priority than solving whatever important problems they are facing. Soft skills are neglected in my search to do something "meaningful", whatever that may be...
6. Not as resourceful as I could be, and need a while before I enjoy new things - a bit of scouting ahead makes things better.
7. Thinking too much makes it hard to sleep. Not a good charactertic to have.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
Autumnleaf
Core Member [294%]

Yes, at times we have to be effective communicators so we can defend our often misunderstood ideas. Without an ability to communicate in such a way as to defend our ideas they will not be implemented by other people regardless of how good they are.

Sometimes perfectionism is simply not necessary so it should not always be the goal. The reason is perfectionism takes much more time than mere excellence. Why clean your floor with a toothbrush if sweeping it once a week or so will do the job you need done.

Sometimes it is good to just enjoy and accept the way things are. Being frustrated all the time because the world isn't how you want it to be won't help you.

I don't think they are bad traits so much as tendencies we have of being that serve us at times and hinder us at other times. So long as we recognize that and adjust our behaviors accordingly those things don't harm us.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
Kisai
Core Member [445%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

Originally Posted by killyridols
Humility.

Holy hell fuck in heaven. No.

That's like castrating a man.

Kisai is online
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Winter Sun
Member [22%]
"Where you invest your love, you invest your life." - Mumford & Sons
MBTI: INTP

Arrogance

An inflated view of our strengths to overcompensate for the insecurities of our weaknesses.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
killyridols
Banned

MBTI: INFP

Originally Posted by Kisai
Holy hell fuck in heaven. No.

That's like castrating a man.

Or its like becoming more human and realizing you are only one of 6 billion simian based creatures floating on a tiny rock in the middle of space and in the grand scheme of the universe you really are incredibly insignificant and not really worth anything so the best thing you can do is live a good life by helping others with your gifts.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Blues69
Member [04%]

Bad characteristics of an INTJ? Are you serious?

Where should I even start?

(i.e. there are many)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
SowZ
Member [12%]

MBTI: xNxP

When INTJs get together, there is the potential for great, thought provoking discussions. It can also quickly become an ego boosting circle jerk of why INTJs are superior to other people.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
TaoShaffer
Member [03%]

Originally Posted by Blues69
Bad characteristics of an INTJ? Are you serious?

Where should I even start?

(i.e. there are many)

Listed in order of importance and alphabetized where importance is equal.

Or hrrm.. that damn Perfectionism. How about *shudder* "wherever".

Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #25
Japonica
Banned

1. No. Is it important to you if your doctor is a social butterfly? Do you think that Ulysses S. Grant and Ayn Rand (whether their work is of any value is beside the point) could have written their masterpieces if they were busy getting hammered at parties or being cheerleaders?

2. It is a flaw—granted—but in the sciences such as medicine, there is very little room for human error. Not just in medicine, but I wouldn't think it would be swell for there to be a wide error ratio for rocket science and engineering. Perfectionists belong in these fields. If you want a comfortable error ratio become a bureaucrat.

3. Life isn't fun overall. Its relevance is daunting; it's often scary, mean and backstabbing. People are not basically good, they are basically in it for themselves, especially the rich, higher powers within societies. Does that mean we should give up on life? No, it just means if you see life as sunshine and gumdrops, you're A) wouldn't know a struggle if it bit you in the ass B) born with a silver spoon C) successful at your endeavors. And 'C' probably didn't come about so easily, but I think a ridiculous amount of people of the 'C' category forget how painful, hard and monotonous it was to get to that position. As well, just because I don't bawl my fucking eyes out at Hallmark movies and get sucked into other manipulative, mellow dramatic situations, doesn't mean I'm heartless. I feel sympathy for good people who get screwed over or have a debilitating accident, but pardon me if I'm not sucked into the problems of privileged people. I don't really care if you are stupid enough to drop ten thousand dollars to get a cornea transplant for your poodle or if your dishwasher isn't working.