Dressing over-well is sexual "marketing" ?! None
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
musicano
New Member [01%]
MBTI: ENFJ

Sometimes I can't help it to view people walking at the mall with latest fashion trends and different hairstyles, that they are marketing themselves as sexual items ...

your thoughts?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
SowZ
Member [12%]

MBTI: xNxP

Sure. It is natural to market oneself as a sexual object. We enjoy looking our best. Our subconscious wants us to get laid, (usually our conscious mind, too.) If what we relate to looking good is fashion... Well, it makes sense.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
No sense
Member [02%]

MBTI: INTJ

Do you think marketing is bad?
We all do it one way or the other, to some extent. Why would your marketing style be any better than anyone else's?

You may show off your brain, while some other people show off their bodies but it doesn't make any difference.. you only have different target groups (although there must be some overlap between the groups).

Also, I'd say that the correlation between dressing nice and marketing oneself as a sexual object is quite a bit less than one.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
musicano
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by No sense
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do you think marketing is bad?
We all do it one way or the other, to some extent. Why would your marketing style be any better than anyone else's?

You may show off your brain, while some other people show off their bodies but it doesn't make any difference.. you only have different target groups (although there must be some overlap between the groups).

Also, I'd say that the correlation between dressing nice and marketing oneself as a sexual object is quite a bit less than one.

Its not about bad or good, of course we do it from time to time, but I'm trying to understand the "I'm trying to look nice (and by nice they mean OVER nice) to myself!"
then just be alone at home! I don't see why they can't confess: YES, I'm seeking attention!
is attention a bad thing to confess?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
No sense
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by musicano
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm trying to understand the "I'm trying to look nice (and by nice they mean OVER nice) to myself!"

I have a female friend that does just that. She sometimes dresses up and looks good around the house (even she thinks its a little bit weird, but some of her girlfriends also do this). She claims that she's just trying out new combinations with pieces of clothing she just bought and I believe her because that's just her thing.. she just loves looking nice.
Even if its not true, what's so bad about pumping up your ego a bit that way? It doesn't hurt anyone.

I'm guilty of doing the same, but I don't dress nice for the mall. I compare my thoughts to someone else's and conclude that mine are more logical and get a kick out of it.
Everyone likes to feel good about themselves.

What's your vice?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Tactical Panda
Core Member [133%]

I try to make my hair look good and wear a nice shirt when I leave the house.
Attractiveness is part of the game... not sure if its sexual or marketing though.
And my sense of fasion isn't cutting edge, so maybe it doesn't count.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx

Everything we do that makes us feel good is sexual marketing.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Reddkatz
Core Member [226%]
MBTI: InTJ

It depends where I go and what I am doing. During the work week, I used to wear make up, but I got tired of getting hit on by patients. So I stopped. Also it's also Summer so I don't usually wear a lot of make up during the Summer anyway, but the affections is not so bad now when I don't wear make up. The weekends I usually don't dress up too much if I'm just running errands. If I go out however, then I doll myself up.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Bluefire
Member [02%]
MBTI: xNFP

Or fashion and hair can be about fitting in, living up to expectations and creative expression.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
plotthickens
Core Member [796%]
Don't stick beans up your nose.

The lastest fashion trends DO seem to be raunchier and raunchier.
plotthickens is online
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
deacon
Member [15%]
MBTI: intj

quote from the devil wears praduh..

Miranda Priestly: [Miranda and some assistants are deciding between two similar belts for an outfit. Andy sniggers because she thinks they look exactly the same] Something funny?

Andy Sachs: No, no, nothing. Y'know, it's just that both those belts look exactly the same to me. Y'know, I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Miranda Priestly: This... 'stuff'? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
dontmesswithme
Core Member [129%]
I can see the good in you, and it's beautiful.
MBTI: INFJ

Sometimes I can't help it to view people walking at the mall with latest fashion trends and different hairstyles, that they are marketing themselves as sexual items ...

your thoughts?

I agree with you. I saw a young girl a while back on the bus who was not wearing any underwear at all. I knew this because i was sitting and she was standing, and she was wearing high heeled loafers with knee-high socks and a micro short skirt. I guess she figured that if you couldn't see any of her bits from a straight-on viewpoint then you couldn't see anything, period. I don't think she took into consideration the possibility of people being somehow lower down than herself in any given public situation (or maybe she wanted it that way--who knows?). I could see her entire vagina. I would say that's "displaying your wares"!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
musicano
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Or fashion and hair can be about fitting in, living up to expectations and creative expression.

Good point! fitting in could be a reason.

and by expression you mean sexual or attractiveness expression?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Zsych
Core Member [378%]
MBTI: XNTX

For some people, it is almost more an expression of their artistic sense - applied to themselves.
Zsych is online
Old 06-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #15
sentientbeing
Member [12%]
MBTI: INFJ

Originally Posted by mieu
Everything we do that makes us feel good is sexual marketing.

Agree.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #16
Nepenthe
Member [06%]
I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's.
MBTI: INTx

Clothing is always an interplay between the signals we want to send to society, vs. our image of ourselves, limited by our means.

Unless you are asking, are people dressing in certain ways because they want sexual attention? In which case, tread carefully.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
SacrificialLove
Member [10%]

Originally Posted by Zsych
For some people, it is almost more an expression of their artistic sense - applied to themselves.

This is me. I like what I like, it's fun to play with clothes/colors/textures, and yes, I even look like that at home (since I'm home most of the time, anyway).

Old 06-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #18
jonsi
New Member [01%]
MBTI: ENXP

Is your avatar a picture of you?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
musicano
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by jonsi
Is your avatar a picture of you?

Yes, but are you trying to relate this with the topic?! :P

Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
Coralaisly
Veteran Member [80%]
Nothing says "Christmas" like cannibalistic light-up reindeer.
MBTI: XXXX

I tend to view them as vapid, shallow, insecure and trying to chase an ideal they don't feel they can achieve... maybe it's because for a while it was my job to put highlinghts in and listen to them bitch on the phone about how Vicky has the better jeans, or some such BS.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
Jalex
Member [29%]
뚜루왑 두밥 두밥 (뜸바리 둡)!!!
MBTI: InTJ

your thoughts?

As they say.... it is natural to see that, I love to go to the mall and see girls dressed up like this. It is nice to see they care how they look. I get lots of fun doing this, for example looking at girls that are using high heels they can't handle, or looking how elegant a girl on well used high heels walks is a pleasure by itself. Getting to know latest trends, the differences between the girl dressed up and her bf that can't care less. The "not in even in your dreams" looks I get, the once in a while impressibly beautiful woman who doesn't need to do much to shine above the rest... man it is fun!!

As for me, I don't dress up... no use...

Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #22
TypeINTP
Member [13%]
A world of fantasy, A world of reality ... and I live on their edge ...
MBTI: INTP

your thoughts?

To be honest I'm not quiet sure what the point of the topic, but I think that the way you dress greatly reflects the image you want to deliver to who surrounds you, it's similar to having a tattoo that communicates a certain idea ... in this case "marketing oneself as a sexual item" can never be the sole reason, in fact there are a metric fuck ton of other reasons to why a person would dress-up in a certain style, for example if I see a guy with red highlights in his hair I certainly wont think that he's marketing his sexuality :P, besides, I think the best way to market my sexuality is to get laid ...

But just out of curiosity, do you by any chance dress-up to market yourself as a sexual item ???

Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #23
musicano
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by TypeINTP
To be honest I'm not quiet sure what the point of the topic, but I think that the way you dress greatly reflects the image you want to deliver to who surrounds you, it's similar to having a tattoo that communicates a certain idea ... in this case "marketing oneself as a sexual item" can never be the sole reason, in fact there are a metric fuck ton of other reasons to why a person would dress-up in a certain style, for example if I see a guy with red highlights in his hair I certainly wont think that he's marketing his sexuality :P, besides, I think the best way to market my sexuality is to get laid ...

But just out of curiosity, do you by any chance dress-up to market yourself as a sexual item ???

Sometimes, I think when I dress in a certain way before going to hangout with friends, that I want to be SEXUALLY attractive, not necessarily for a specific person, but just to expand that night possibilities of getting laid!!! I know it may not be the sole reason of why people dress nice, but I just wanted to share thoughts with you guys and get to know other possible reasons

Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
jonsi
New Member [01%]
MBTI: ENXP

Yes, but are you trying to relate this with the topic?! :P

I'm just saying you look stylish

I have this theory that you find what you look for.
If you consciously or subconsciously want to get laid that night, you will more than likely dress in a way that would help you achieve that goal

On the other hand, you may dress stylishly for an entirely different set of reasons like fitting in, expressing yourself, or obtaining respect from others.
I don't know, I think it might help to look at the situation from the opposite direction-
what is it you want when you're going out- because that's probably why you dress the way you do
As for the people at the mall, I think it's a place where people have an audience so they seek validation of their identity there- which they express through what they wear. For some people, that may be validation that they are sexually appealing and for others it may be validation of their wealth. Or whatever else

Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #25
musicano
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by jonsi
I'm just saying you look stylish

I have this theory that you find what you look for.
If you consciously or subconsciously want to get laid that night, you will more than likely dress in a way that would help you achieve that goal

On the other hand, you may dress stylishly for an entirely different set of reasons like fitting in, expressing yourself, or obtaining respect from others.
I don't know, I think it might help to look at the situation from the opposite direction-
what is it you want when you're going out- because that's probably why you dress the way you do
As for the people at the mall, I think it's a place where people have an audience so they seek validation of their identity there- which they express through what they wear. For some people, that may be validation that they are sexually appealing and for others it may be validation of their wealth. Or whatever else

I couldn't agree more

1- Sexual goal (ex: getting laid).
2- Fitting in (ex: homosexuals dress as heterosexuals to fit in and hide sexual identity)
3- Obtaining respect (ex: dress in a certain way in a traditional family gathering)
4- Express an opinion, thought or idea (ex: an Atheist wears a weird shirt with: Where the fuck is god!)

any more ideas
?