How to endorse my previous supervisor None
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
PrometheusENTJ
Member [05%]
MBTI: ENTJ

My previous supervisor has asked me to endorse him. This I will do with pleasure. He managed a super high IQ team without feeling threatened by them, so I want to give him a shining recommendation.
How does this read? Am I going overboard here or does it read genuinely warm?

--
--
Thank you for any feedback.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
PrometheusENTJ
Member [05%]

Sorry, I took out the recommendation lest it be used to determine my true identity.

Key points:
+ a great listener, a seasoned coach and an empathetic mentor
+ excellent manager of managers
+ always available when needed by his team but also delegated early and often
+ helped me develop and promote my directs
+ promoted teamwork
+ genuinely wanted me to grow and succeed
+ was respected by his peers
+ technically good as well
Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Mogura
Core Member [182%]
I am not the droid you're looking for...
MBTI: INFJ

You might want to throw in a couple of concrete examples. For example (no pun intended), how did he promote teamwork?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
psykhe
Core Member [245%]
Better a witty fool than a foolish wit. 
   -- Shakespeare
MBTI: iNtJ

Originally Posted by Mogura
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You might want to throw in a couple of concrete examples. For example (no pun intended), how did he promote teamwork?

Agree. Situational examples are better and more convincing.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Monte314
Core Member [506%]
Chief Scientist; Adjunct Full Professor of Computer Science; six times Who's Who in the World; national, state Advisory Panels; author of two books, many papers; Jedi Math Dog
MBTI: INTJ

You have focused on soft skills, and your assessments are completely subjective. This is nice, but this stuff has little to do with how higher-ups think. If you realy want to help this guy, you need to include some quantifiable results:

Did his leadership improve the efficiency of the team? How much? (e.g., "Established work allocation/tasking/schedule/method that made me 20% more productive")

Did he save the company/customer time or money? How, and roughly how much?

Did he solve any challenging problems? How, quantitatively, did this benefit the company/customer?

What does the Customer say about this guy? Provide a quote.

Your estimates of tangible benefits don't have to be precise, but including comments like the ones I've listed here will have much more impact than what amounts to a list of reasons you like the guy. Believe it; I know.
Monte314 is online
Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Abgrund
Member [10%]
Und wenn du lange in eine Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.
MBTI: INTJ

You don't say what the purpose of the endorsement is. An internal promotion, where people reading the endorsement might have some idea who you are or at least what your role is, is not quite the same as an outside job. In either case, but especially the latter, the reader may suspect that you would just love to see this person get another job so he will no longer be your supervisor.

I'd also include something about how said supervisor helped you be more productive/more valuable to the machine in some way.

I assume you will invite them to contact you. It's not likely they will, but it helps give the impression of sincerity. And maybe they will offer you job... you could even drop a hint about how much you'd like to continue working for Mr. X.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
peppersasen
Veteran Member [63%]
recluse on autopilot~
MBTI: INxx

Originally Posted by PrometheusENTJ
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My previous supervisor has asked me to endorse him.

Wait, are you saying that us minions can endorse our former bosses?

---------- Post added 04-23-2011 at 12:21 PM ----------

Originally Posted by PrometheusENTJ
+ genuinely wanted me to grow and succeed

I don't know how you would prove that he "genuinely" wanted you to grow and succeed. This kind of thing is difficult to measure.

---------- Post added 04-23-2011 at 12:23 PM ----------

Wow, I can already think of
who I would love to endorse because they've been so supportive and taught me so much.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
PrometheusENTJ
Member [05%]

Originally Posted by peppersasen

---------- Post added 04-23-2011 at 12:21 PM ----------

I don't know how you would prove that he "genuinely" wanted you to grow and succeed. This kind of thing is difficult to measure.

---------- Post added 04-23-2011 at 12:23 PM ----------

Wow, I can already think of
who I would love to endorse because they've been so supportive and taught me so much.

I am a little bit better than being a minion, having managed teams of 25+ myself

In the US, for the very high positions, these days companies ask for endorsements from your previous directs to understand what kind of talent you hired and what that talent thought of you. Retention is more important than ever. No wonder people want their stars to endorse them as it shows they can manage high-quality talent and make that talent happy.

In my career I have seen bosses who did not want me to grow: they gave me low-visibility, behind-the-curtains projects, kept me out of business presentations and important lunches with skip level managers. This gentleman however gave me high-visibility projects, gave me full authority (within limits of reason) to execute, let me present my own results to his bosses and helped remove roadblocks from my projects.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
rbc
Veteran Member [56%]
Always carry a gyroscope.  You'll never fall; you'll just precess.
MBTI: INTx

Originally Posted by peppersasen

It is becoming more popular these days to do "360 degree" performance reviews, in which the people being supervised also review their supervisor's performance, and submit that to his supervisor for consideration in their boss's performance review. I think it is an excellent idea, but it is only starting to gain traction.