Closed Thread
INTJ Artists art, careers
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
Jezebel
Administrator
The Grand High Poo-Bah
MBTI: INTJ

Do any of you enjoy art as a hobby? How many have pursued it as a profession or would like to? What subject matter do you prefer? Any particular media? What do you think your strengths and weaknesses are as an artist?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
Opti
Member [02%]

I enjoy web design - I used to do a lot of it as a hobby and was going to look at a career in design , but there are so many talented people out there especially the youngsters whom are much better than me. Plus it used to take me ages to finish a design as I would be constantly trying to improve on it (Yes I am a perfectionist) Plus I couldn't get used to the use of colours - always choosing black/white/grey. I still do a bit of design now and again as I like doing it - recently my employer asked me to make a coaching card ... The instruction was to use an A3 sheet of paper and 'glue' some photos onto it .. They were suprised at what I produced, I had obviously not shown them my creative side before or should I say they failed to see it?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
radioactivez0r
Member [03%]

MBTI: xxxx

I have no talent for creating from scratch, but I enjoy taking existing content and molding it to my purposes, via video editing and machinima. Finding ways to fit within certain boundaries and retain your meaning is a great challenge.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Jon
Member [02%]
Fanciful Unicorn

I'm going to school specifically for studio art right now and I hope to be a professional comic artist/illustrator. I mainly work in various inks and digital coloring. I can see all of the flaws in my drawings (like most artists), so I generally end up hating them a couple days after they're done. It's a strength because it helps me improve, but it's a weakness because I'm never really happy with the results.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Tarrick
Member [17%]

One of the things that I would suggest is to just start drawing something (anything really) and don't allow yourself to erase anything. Just work with what you have. It doesn't have to be serious, but you begin to understand how to roll with your mistakes a lot better. I try and draw at least once a day even though I primarily work in Photoshop and Illustrator. Though I've been slacking recently >.<
Old 09-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
drc
New Member [01%]

I have had some success (at least in my personal opinion) at creating music. I enjoy playing guitar (wich I do almost daily) and other instruments when I get the chance. I have days where I am feeling extremely creative and able to come up with new riffs or ideas for the music. Then there are days where I just want to play familiar songs or things that I already know. I have no idea what triggers these different mental states for me. However the balance is most likely for the best. It gives me time to reflect on what I have learned and then I can try to improve upon those ideas.

Also just a thought...

Optimisery1973,

If you really want to do something go out and do it. I wouldn't worry so much about what other people do in the same field. There will always be people doing it and you may percieve that they are "better" than you. However determination and perfectionism can go along way. All that matters is that you do what you want to. Life is too short to second guess. Also I would go with the thought that they failed to see it.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Opti
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by drc

Optimisery1973,

If you really want to do something go out and do it. *I wouldn't worry so much about what other people do in the same field. *There will always be people doing it and you may percieve that they are "better" than you. *However determination and perfectionism can go along way. *All that matters is that you do what you want to. *Life is too short to second guess. *Also I would go with the thought that they failed to see it. *
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the words of wisdom DRC
I had given up on Design for a career and am currently chasing a career in Retail Management (I've got there but it's a long story) but I will be making sure I use my creativity more often in the role

Old 09-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
drc
New Member [01%]

Management can be fun. I personally love planning things out to the extreme. Best of luck to you in your new career.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
HackerX
Core Member [182%]
*the huggleator*
MBTI: INTP

Growing up, I used to be really good at drawing/sketching/painting. These days I still have the eye for good design/art, but I lack either the creativity, or at least the inspiration to pick it up again.

Originally Posted by Jon
I'm going to school specifically for studio art right now and I hope to be a professional comic artist/illustrator. I mainly work in various inks and digital coloring. I can see all of the flaws in my drawings (like most artists), so I generally end up hating them a couple days after they're done. It's a strength because it helps me improve, but it's a weakness because I'm never really happy with the results.

This is also a problem of mine, anything I do start, I tend not to finish, because I'm never happy with the way things turn out as I go along. That goes for design as well.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
Tarrick
Member [17%]

You know, with the amount of INTJ artists on here, maybe would should have a little art contest or something. Just for kicks.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #11
Jon
Member [02%]
Fanciful Unicorn

Originally Posted by Tarrick
You know, with the amount of INTJ artists on here, maybe would should have a little art contest or something. Just for kicks.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #12
Firelie
Member [19%]
full-blown technicolor

I'm currently in school for graphic design...though I"m not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. From what I've heard, though, most people don't do much with their majors after graduation (though that seems really silly to me...why bother getting a degree if you're not going to use it in a career?)

Anyway, I tend to be better at abstract designs than actual objects, and I looooooove playing around with color.

Strengths...hmm...I tend to understand what people are asking me to do easier than other people, and I think I have a lot of cool ideas.
Weaknesses... I'm not as emotive or exciting as some artists are...and I don't always have the skills to make my cool ideas come to life.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]
"To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous."

Always been an artist. Art has always been my best mark on my report card (well up until I was forced to stop taking art so I have room for career marking courses anyway).

One thing that really frustrates me when I do anything artistic is being the darn perfectionist. Nothing ever seems perfect. On the other hand, it's really what makes me good at anything I guess...

I've recently taken to photography, because it's slightly less time consuming than starting a drawing from scratch. Plus, photography doesn't require instruction from another person so much as the other arts do (you could learn most of the from a book, and the rest if your own creative instinct).

One problem I had in art is that I had a hard time getting along with my art teachers. I never seemed to agree with their preferences, and I stopped my lessons fairly early on. That REALLY sucks now that I think about it, because I end up learning how to do things REALLY SLOW because in addition to not having instructions, my stubbourness keeps me from putting my finger on the problem even if i KNOW it's there. And then the perfectionist kicks in and gets really frustrated... and ends up with numerous abandoned pieces of art work...
Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
The Rose
Member [25%]

I have wanted to be a famous singer and songwriter ever since I was 4.
I even went to live in Nashville for 2 years to try and make it in the music business,
but I was not successful.
People have always told me I have a pretty voice and I should make records,
and while I enjoyed the compliments,
it might have been better if people would have kept that silly idea to themselves.
While I can sing well and write nice songs,
I no longer believe I have everything it takes to make it big in the music business.
I cringe to think what Simon Cowell might say to me if I sang for him.

I do have a small audience I get to sing for,
and I have to satisfy myself with that.

What's funny is that even though I am an introvert is that I have no problem singing on stage in front of hundreds of people.
I'm not shy at all.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
StJimmy
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by HackerX
Growing up, I used to be really good at drawing/sketching/painting. These days I still have the eye for good design/art, but I lack either the creativity, or at least the inspiration to pick it up again.

ditto.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #16
Guido
Member [05%]
Forum Member

I completely forgot until now, but I used to love drawing when I was younger o.0 I was pretty decent for my age too if I remember... too bad I stopped :/ I used to draw ninja turtles when I was in grade 1-3. Then I moved onto baseball and hockey logos. Then I moved onto ships (the old kind with masts and sails.) I could never draw anything from scratch though, it always needed a reference.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
StJimmy
Member [02%]

i started trying to replicate images from ad&d rulebooks at around 8, which led into me taking art classes up until maybe 12 or so. when the old lady stopped giving the classes i pretty much lost interest and moved on to other things.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
lollercancer
New Member [01%]

i use to love to draw, and i still do when i'm bored in a class.
lot's of gnarly political satire, too great to be destined for any newspaper ;-)

i write scripts, too. the problem with art, for me, is that i become so driven and consumed, that i almost kill myself while making it. It becomes scary, but the results are pretty pretty pretty good.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #19
BlackMita
Member [24%]
MBTI: xxxx

One of the few things I can sometimes be arrogant about is my drawing ability. I plan on training as a concept artist when I get to college in the not so distant future. Lack of ideas or creativity isnít my problem, but not practicing enough is an issue Ė I procrastinate in fear of not meeting my impossible expectations. Luckily, when I manage to force myself to the task of executing what I set out to, it pawns 60% of the time. Itís hard though, mostly for the reasons you guys have brought up; especially the ďhating it and seeing all the flaws after your doneĒ thing.

Iím currently battling to learn solid perspective and constructing the human form from memory. Itís mostly about over-doing things right now to burn the knowledge into my mind. Thank god for Andrew Loomis books:
Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #20
Jbmontag
Member [02%]

I can only draw a stick man. It is a cool stick man though, with hair, clothes and everything

I prefer poetry as my artistic medium of choice.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
bikerscars
Member [03%]

i've never been proficient at art...

no innate talent at drawing or music...

just never interested me
Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #22
rasoirviolon
New Member [01%]

As a toddler I had a keen interest in dogs and art. Both of them combined resulted in numerous sketches of animals. I'm not sure if I can truly consider myself as one who has natural artistic ability since my obsession with dogs has waned and I don't pursue sketching anymore. Perhaps if I had developed my drawing skills when I was younger, I would be something closer to a true artist.

As for my current medium of expression through "art," I engage in poetry and prose (which most are failed attempts). Even with my musical background, I am no virtuoso. Many times I've been told I have potential ...but currently not the means to fully dedicate myself to development of my artistic abilities.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #23
deicruxified
Member [28%]
making beautiful things out of shit since 1986
MBTI: intj

Originally Posted by rei_cirith
One thing that really frustrates me when I do anything artistic is being the darn perfectionist. *Nothing ever seems perfect. *On the other hand, it's really what makes me good at anything I guess...

likewise... sometimes when i draw, no matter how other people think it as beautiful, i'm still not contented so i actually don't have a collection coz i throw them away afterwards or just give them to those who want it.

i came from a bloodline of musicians and painters (mother side)... we paint on walls and sing on tables!! (err singing... count me out)... i do charcoal painting/sketching and my favorite medium has always been the pencil. i drew einstein in charcoal and is still on display at my alma mater. i also experiment on craypass a bit but being the perfectionist that i am, i think i'm bad with colors except for black and white
:edit: i have used adobe to draw once and a friend of mine used my work as part of his ad on newspaper but i still prefer working with my hands coz i find digi art a form of cheating hehehehe joke... i just attended a corel painter seminar a while ago and i do hope my budget permits me to get a copy of the software... i find it more complicated yest elegant than adobe.

i love art but i don't want to have it as a career. my sister and her painter friends have always been bugging me to join their art exhibits (they have actually sold their works) and my mom always seconded their remarks. however, i just want art as something i do in times when i need solitude

Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #24
rwyatt365
Core Member [262%]
Proud member of GOIF!

A long time ago I sketched and painted (oil), mostly inanimate things. I never had the knack for capturing people or animals. My family is full of artists; my father paints and sketches, my younger sister is a fantastic (struggling) artist, my mother does custom needlepoint, all of us played instruments at one point or another.

I never considered art as a career, guess I didn't consider myself good enough to make any kind of living at it Ė that perfectionist streak in me. I've always kept my artistry to myself.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #25
biased
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTP

I'm not an artist or "creative" in the classical sense. However, I have found that current and younger generation often "imitate" art styles. Japan seems to be quite popular for this. Whatever you do, don't do this. Become creativity, let it express who you are as opposed to some poor imitation.
Closed Thread

Tags
art, careers