View Poll Results: How critical and negative are you compared with your peers?
More critical and negative 35 79.55%
About the same 4 9.09%
Less critical and negative 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Degree of criticalness and negativity None
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Luciferus
Member [04%]
MBTI: INTJ

Do you see mainly the positive or the negative side of events and objects in the external world as compared with others?

Most of the time I am like "Wtf, are you drunk on positive-thinking self-help books or what? This thing/event is/will be bad because of this and it has these flaws..." I am way more critical and negative than my social environment and to stop being so ostracized due to this trait, I have learned to lessen my frustration with light sarcastic humor.

My hypothesis is that it is due to a strong J?

Old 03-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Warrior
Core Member [358%]

I put about the same, but I come across at times as being more negative. Mainly that's because a lot of people I deal with pick out the positive aspects of things (which I do as well), but tend not to make sure there is a way to overcome negative aspects of whatever is happening. I'm the one that usually brings that up.

This applies to new ideas I hear as well. I have to be careful about this, because it can really be the opposite of what I intend. When someone puts forth an idea that I really like, I have a tendency to jump right in with questions like "how will you manage this that, and the other thing?", "how will you integrate that into the network?", "how will you overcome this particular shortcoming?", and similar questions. I'm asking those because I think the idea really has potential and I'm curious to see how much thought has been put into areas that I see as particular challenges. However, other people often take my questions as trying to shoot down the idea.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Tactical Panda
Core Member [133%]

Other people focus on different things, and tend to keep their critical observations to themselves until it becomes advantageous to reveal them to preserve friendship or good will in the meantime.

I... undervalue the latter, I suppose. I voice things for the sake of the future.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Monte314
Core Member [489%]
Chief Scientist; Adjunct Full Professor of Computer Science; six times Who's Who in the World; national, state Advisory Panels; author of two books, many papers; Jedi Math Dog

I'm not "critical"; I'm "discriminating".

[HIDE="Poetic exposition on genius of the JMD:"]
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/HIDE]
Monte314 is online
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Fryman58
Member [10%]
“Sometimes you need to kill a few hundred thousand people to prove a point.”

I forgot where I heard this, but...

Positive thinking is more general and Negative thinking is more detail

So negativity and critical thinking goes hand in hand.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Chameleon
Core Member [171%]
I ponder over the true nature of my imagined one.
MBTI: INTP

I have moved past my negative past and now bare an optimistic approach to the world. It clears the mind of road blocks and helps me rationalize why people are flawed.

Something my father always said helped: No matter how good you are or how good you think you are, you are no better than the person beside you.

It helps to think this too: If you are smarter than the person who is stressing you out shouldn't you be the bigger person.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Zsych
Core Member [423%]
MBTI: XNTX

The sharpness the darkness gives you, is hard to replicate from the light.

@Monte:
*cackles* - Nice.

Realistically, I'm much more critical than most people around me, although I'm trying to pretend not to be - which does make me much more likable but its hard to maintain. The desire for completeness and pointing out when people are wrong can be overriding sometimes.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
True Rune
Core Member [208%]
Dying is as pointless as living.

I generally optimist-realist when dealing with other people. I'm more pessimistic if it has to do with me.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
froyo
Member [28%]
MBTI: INTj

I see myself as a realist, but the rest of the world is generally optimistic so I'm probably viewed as a critical/negative person in relation to others. I'm usually pretty good at holding back any negative(realistic) comments though.

Yea, there really is no place for overtly negative/critical people. I know someone like that and she can barely hold a job because she manages to piss off every boss she has had.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
Minerva
Core Member [259%]
Forget your balls and grow a pair of tits. It's hard out here for a Bitch!
MBTI: ISFJ

Originally Posted by Luciferus
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do you see mainly the positive or the negative side of events and objects in the external world as compared with others?

I would say so, yes. When I was an adolescent I would usually see the negative side of things almost immediately. I think that could be an ISFJ trait. By the time I was 18?? I decided to try to change my outlook on things since I would sometimes get bogged down by all the negative details and becoming pessimistic about things. So I started forcing myself, and training my thought processes to find all the positives and the positive possibilities. That gave me a more realistic view and helped me become a more optimistic person overall. Now that I am beyond 18 (Never ask a woman her age
) I see both the advantages (without effort) and disadvantages of events and situations .

Most of the time I am like "Wtf, are you drunk on positive-thinking self-help books or what? This thing/event is/will be bad because of this and it has these flaws..." I am way more critical and negative than my social environment and to stop being so ostracized due to this trait, I have learned to lessen my frustration with light sarcastic humor.

Some people need things like self help books. It seems that you have a more objective way of looking at things. Many people cannot step out of a situation and see it from a distance like a passive observer. Many are too caught up in (raging) emotions to see things as just are. They struggle with things unnecessarily, instead of allowing things to progress and work out on their own. I have found that sometimes I can simply observe something and during this process of surveillance I can seize opportunities, as they arise, to steer things in a more favourable direction. In my personal experience, there needs to be a certain clarity in the mind to do this. For me, who is on the emotional end of the spectrum as opposed to the NTs, once I quiet my emotions, I am able to see things for what they really are.

Of course it depends on the gravity of the situation which may govern the level of emotional reaction, but I will use the example of something undesirable happening, since being happy about positive things is a good reaction as long as it is not blown way out of proportion. For many when something negative occurs, they begin fighting with it, as I said above, because they simply want things to always work out the way they want them to. The fact is not everything has a reason and not every thing can be placed into a positive framework. Some really people can't handle the fact that bad things happen and they happen because this is how life is. So they look towards self help books and even religious books etc to "make sense" of all these "bad" things that may be happening in their lives, lives of people they know or across the world.

My hypothesis is that it is due to a strong J?

I think it is more because of NT...

Overall I actually think I am less negative (where negative is more pessimistic/less optimistic) than my peers, but I am more critical... Being critical and negative are not mutually exclusive since some criticism is positive if it helps the situation/person. Also the way I criticize people or situations is filtered through my Fe, so it comes off a "nice" as my INTJ friend says.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
Nemesis
Core Member [364%]
Shhhh
MBTI: XXXX

Not really any of the options.

My criticisms are more often tongue-in-cheek jokes. The negativity, unfortunately, is real.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Iota Null
Core Member [338%]
712.5b) The player who’s being controlled [by another player] still chooses whether he or she leaves to visit the restroom.

Extremely negative and critical. It's one of my major personality flaws.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
Reddkatz
Core Member [235%]
MBTI: InTJ

This applies a lot of first impressions. It takes me a while to change the opinion of someone I met that hasn't given me a good first impression.