"sluggish, lethargic" walking people appear mostly "ghetto-ish" None
Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
psychosylocibin
Member [15%]

MBTI: INTJ

Have you guys ever encountered a situation where you are driving down the street towards a intersection that is about to turn green for you, and there some person(s) walking in sort of a "I dont care if there is a car coming and the light is almost green" mentality. Its like they WANT to get smashed to bits by a car. You get frustrated, they get there sense of "power" and entitlement because you stopped for them.

Its a specific kind of walk too, its different from just walking slow. Its like a lethargic, dragging walk with a hint of entitlement. The complete opposite of someone who is in a hurry. These kind of people would get trampled over walking in the busy streeets of manhattan or another area where people are hurrying.

and, Coming from a point of pure observational point it always seems to be someone who appears to be of a ghetto-ish look. Is there something about that culture that promotes that sort of "walk".

Why?

Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Haumea
Core Member [109%]

It's the heroin, silly...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm half-kidding, but that's certainly not an unlikely explanation.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
CoryKS
Member [04%]

Originally Posted by psychosylocibin
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Have you guys ever encountered a situation where you are driving down the street towards a intersection that is about to turn green for you, and there some person(s) walking in sort of a "I dont care if there is a car coming and the light is almost green" mentality. Its like they WANT to get smashed to bits by a car. You get frustrated, they get there sense of "power" and entitlement because you stopped for them.

Its a specific kind of walk too, its different from just walking slow. Its like a lethargic, dragging walk with a hint of entitlement. The complete opposite of someone who is in a hurry. These kind of people would get trampled over walking in the busy streeets of manhattan or another area where people are hurrying.

and, Coming from a point of pure observational point it always seems to be someone who appears to be of a ghetto-ish look. Is there something about that culture that promotes that sort of "walk".

Why?

People who generally feel powerless tend to find ways in which to feel powerful and in control. In this case, the pedestrian managed to make you wait for them. It's a small victory, but you take what you can get.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Haumea
Core Member [109%]

People who generally feel powerless tend to find ways in which to feel powerful and in control. In this case, the pedestrian managed to make you wait for them. It's a small victory, but you take what you can get.

In a nutshell, passive aggression.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
zibber
Core Member [513%]

Why?

Oh, that's me.

I can see how you would get frustrated, frying in your little tin can.

I prefer being out in the sun. I walk so slowly because I am in no rush.

(The perceived "sense of entitlement" is just the projection of your own stress & frustration.)

Have a swell day, friend

Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
ntwady
Core Member [140%]
all hail king wizard in the fucking house
MBTI: INFP

Originally Posted by zibber
Oh, that's me.

(The perceived "sense of entitlement" is just the projection of your own stress & frustration.)

Have a swell day, friend

You also live in a bike-friendly city. Many places in America aren't like that. Without the infrastructure of public transportation, some of us are forced to use oil.

For the record though, I think both hypotheses, "projecting your own frustration" and "passive aggression" hold some water to them.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
sircockburn
Veteran Member [88%]
grrrrrr!
MBTI: ENTP

Oh, that's me.

Have a swell day, friend

I love messing with people like that. When people clearly have that attitude, I lay on the horn.

Or if in a particularly feisty mood, keep a foot on the brake, switch to neutral and rev up the engine. In my lifted Dodge Ram 2500 truck.

That just about always gets the hippies running.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Indubitably
Member [36%]

MBTI: INTP

Even if the only reason you might walk slowly would be to manipulate someone in order to derive a sense of control, doesn't mean that everyone, or even most people, would necessarily do the same. The real sense of entitlement here does not lie with the guy walking across the street, it lies with the person who is in a hurry to get somewhere. In truth, for the guy crossing the street, you may not even enter the equation, he may simply be taking life at his own pace, and doing so for reasons that are entirely his own. The man crossing the street requires nothing of the man in the car, he merely asserts his existence. Where as the man driving the car demands that the man crossing the street take deliberate action on his behalf, in order to sustain a sense of superior agency and mobility to which he feels entitled merely because he has the opportunity to deprive the man crossing the street of his right to exist, and to cross the street freely.

In essence the man driving the car must artificially naturalize his demands in order to maintain his sense of entitlement. He must convince himself that the road and everyone in it is "his to do with as he pleases" merely because he is driving a car, that it is unnatural and incorrect for the man crossing the street to exist. Yet we know that the man crossing the street does exist, that many more like him exist, and that his right to do so is protected by some of the most fundamental laws that govern our nation. If we were in a situation where the man in the car was stuck in the middle of an intersection and an on coming semi was about to plow through his car if he did not run down the man crossing the street, things might be different, but such is not the case. The right to plow through anyone in your way just because you can may not be an inevitable fact of life, but coexistence is, so switch to decaf, or smoke a joint, or put some aroma therapy candles on your dashboard, or what ever it takes to keep your road rage at bay, because this is just as much Mr. Slow-Ghetto-Walk's world, and road, as it is yours.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
zibber
Core Member [513%]

Originally Posted by sircockburn
I love messing with people like that. When people clearly have that attitude, I lay on the horn.

Or if in a particularly feisty mood, keep a foot on the brake, switch to neutral and rev up the engine. In my lifted Dodge Ram 2500 truck.

That just about always gets the hippies running.

Don't worry - you already got your smoke in my lungs without me asking for it. No need for death threats.

Fascinating how some people manage to revel in their violent unpleasantness.

Originally Posted by Ntwadumela
For the record though, I think both hypotheses, "projecting your own frustration" and "passive aggression" hold some water to them.

For me, it's more a matter of "here, let me help you slow down".

Although I do get a little worked up in the face of idiocy as demonstrated above. This thread definitely turned sour for me.

Time for a walk

Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
psychosylocibin
Member [15%]

Originally Posted by Indubitably
Even if the only reason you might walk slowly would be to manipulate someone in order to derive a sense of control, doesn't mean that everyone, or even most people, would necessarily do the same. The real sense of entitlement here does not lie with the guy walking across the street, it lies with the person who is in a hurry to get somewhere. In truth, for the guy crossing the street, you may not even enter the equation, he may simply be taking life at his own pace, and doing so for reasons that are entirely his own. The man crossing the street requires nothing of the man in the car, he merely asserts his existence. Where as the man driving the car demands that the man crossing the street take deliberate action on his behalf, in order to sustain a sense of superior agency and mobility to which he feels entitled merely because he has the opportunity to deprive the man crossing the street of his right to exist, and to cross the street freely.

In essence the man driving the car must artificially naturalize his demands in order to maintain his sense of entitlement. He must convince himself that the road and everyone in it is "his to do with as he pleases" merely because he is driving a car, that it is unnatural and incorrect for the man crossing the street to exist. Yet we know that the man crossing the street does exist, that many more like him exist, and that his right to do so is protected by some of the most fundamental laws that govern our nation. If we were in a situation where the man in the car was stuck in the middle of an intersection and an on coming semi was about to plow through his car if he did not run down the man crossing the street, things might be different, but such is not the case. The right to plow through anyone in your way just because you can may not be an inevitable fact of life, but coexistence is, so switch to decaf, or smoke a joint, or put some aroma therapy candles on your dashboard, or what ever it takes to keep your road rage at bay, because this is just as much Mr. Slow-Ghetto-Walk's world, and road, as it is yours.

The sense of entitlement comes from the fact that the guy who is walking across the street knows that the light is green and he is illegally walking across the crosswalk when a car is legally driving down the road towards him because the driver has a green light. Legally, the pedestrian is not authorized to be there. Yes, technically the driver has a sense of entitlement related to the rationale "people should follow the law", but I think the law in this situation triumps that.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
plotthickens
Core Member [880%]
Don't stick beans up your nose.

OP and all other drivers: sometimes, occasionally, maybe, in some situations... you're not the center of the universe.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
Haumea
Core Member [109%]

Where as the man driving the car demands that the man crossing the street take deliberate action on his behalf, in order to sustain a sense of superior agency and mobility to which he feels entitled merely because he has the opportunity to deprive the man crossing the street of his right to exist, and to cross the street freely.

To sum up: walker - not passive aggressive, merely blissfully Zen. Opting out of considerate civilized behavior -- good; getting behind the wheel and attempting to get to your destination, bad. Clarifying.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Zombicide
Core Member [120%]

MBTI: INTj

It should certainly be legal to run them over, and not because they're taking too long but because of the demographic temperament that does that zombiesque, "cool guy", Neanderthal walk. Let's see how cool you are in the grill of my fucking car, subhuman, wigger. Stupid piece of shit chavs.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Shadizar
Core Member [171%]

Why?

I like it when they cross the street away from a crosswalk. The pedal hits the floor; all eight cylinders of the 350 roar to life as I whip those three hundred ponies mercilessly, and the half ton pickup charges towards the little bastards like a raging bull on steroids and bellowing like a dragon in heat. Go ahead, take your time crossing. Doesn't work so well at intersections; squealing tires make for a slower take off.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
BlackFlames
Member [16%]

Originally Posted by Zombicide
It should certainly be legal to run them over, and not because they're taking too long but because of the demographic temperament that does that zombiesque, "cool guy", Neanderthal walk. Let's see how cool you are in the grill of my fucking car, subhuman, wigger. Stupid piece of shit chavs.

!!!

Well I sometimes walk like that too
but only when I know the car will not hit me and that that person can continue in the speed they were going.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
Ibian
Banned

So lets see. Someone is breaking the law, on top of the bigger issue of being a general nuisance, and some of you are defending it?

And apparently zibber is a black hippie. Never considered that combination before.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
psychosylocibin
Member [15%]

Oh, that's me.

Have a swell day, friend

Please tell me you aren't one of those people that wears all black and walks across crosswalks illegally in the middle of the pitch black night too, blending in with the rest of the environment and becoming essentially invisilble. You know, this is part of the reason why the law exists. You simply may not see the pedestrian. In this case my sense of entitlement would be the projection of stress and frustration at the 300 dollar repair bill when I fail to see you crossing (illegally) and hit, drag you underneath my car and damage my muffler. With the rising costs of catalytic converters, those arent cheap.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Shadizar
Core Member [171%]

I hate those bastards. They're also the same bastards who walk on the street edge when there's a sidewalk on the other side of the ditch. I'd like to hit them, but that would damage my signal lights.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
Dru
Core Member [281%]
Think of me as you think of yourself; another unfinished book on an infinite shelf.

i've only ever walked liked this when i was in a really bad mood, which sometimes lends me to feel more confrontational. my mindset is like "i dare you not to wait for me, asshole. fuck you."

^_^
Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
paperclip
Member [37%]

Some anthropologists summize that it actually comes from a cultural expression of race and subjectivity. Working slowly and walking slowly developed from enslaved people seeking sense of empowerment over their owners. The modern ''slow walker'' is a throw back of cultural expression and autonomy. I learned this while studying trends in world music history focused on the American south. Unfortunately I can't find any source online...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #21
Ibian
Banned

Well, they do have the whole "you enslaved my ancestors" victim mentality. Might be something to it.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Dru
Core Member [281%]
Think of me as you think of yourself; another unfinished book on an infinite shelf.

ghetto is now a race?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
froyo
Member [28%]

uh... Well that's pretty much the way I walk. I didn't know it gives off a sense of entitlement, it's more just that I'm thinking in my head and not really paying attention to what else is going on.

Is it like an "I know you're there but I don't care" mentality? Or a "I'm a hobo who's totally oblivious to what's going on around me"?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Haumea
Core Member [109%]

Well, they do have the whole "you enslaved my ancestors" victim mentality. Might be something to it.

Yeah, and all those successful black people are merely Uncle Toms. Is there something to that as well? It's easier to curse the darkness than light a candle. Human nature, might be something to it.

This mentality does absolutely no good. And enabling it is even worse.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
Shadizar
Core Member [171%]

Originally Posted by Ibian

So whites were enslaved? East Indians? I fail to make the connection. Assholes will be assholes, their excuses will be whatever fits the moment; only the true assholes - waves hand - will tell the truth, "the own the road while I'm on it".