MBTI: istp

OMG A NETWORKING THREAD!?!?!

Or maybe it's just bragging rights.

I'm at UCLA for a few more years. Sup?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
ShaiGar
Banned

MBTI: ENTP

the university of the public library with borrowing rights, with masters in my own libraries.

i've audited courses at just about every learning facility in brisbane but never had the inclination to sign up...
Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
rwyatt365
Core Member [262%]
Proud member of GOIF!
MBTI: INTJ

University of Michigan (go Wolverines...nah, not really)
Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
mind_wander
Member [40%]

St. Rose College
Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
thegnat
Member [25%]
Awesome living through Orangemistry

Kenyon College in little ol' Gambier, Ohio. We're a "New Ivy League" if you haven't heard of us...

3rd year chemistry major.

We *do* have a great science program now with our new science quad. The equipment is great here. Next year we'll be on par computationally with Ohio State.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
vulcan
Member [02%]

MBTI: istp

I had a terrible chem teacher in HS, so I am terrified of taking it in college. In HS everyone failed her final but she wanted her teacher of the year award so she curved it to all A/Bs. So basically I don't know any chem. At least I have an A in that class though, right?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]
"To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous."

Originally Posted by vulcan
I had a terrible chem teacher in HS, so I am terrified of taking it in college. In HS everyone failed her final but she wanted her teacher of the year award so she curved it to all A/Bs. So basically I don't know any chem. At least I have an A in that class though, right?

I've had my fair share of bad chemistry teachers. I think all chemistry teachers are horrible teachers. They have an inability to make things make sense. Even the easiest concepts sound more complicated coming from them.

Anyway, I'm currently at University of Guelph. BioMed major atm... contemplating a minor; planning to apply to OVC within the next few year.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Max T
Member [13%]

Originally Posted by ShaiGar
the university of the public library with borrowing rights, with masters in my own libraries.

I admire guys like you.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sure the name of your college/ university matters.
But someone who's self-taught usually knows the subject matter soooo much better than the guys seated at the back of a 200-strong lecture theatre, blanking out the professor's chatter with their own plans for the week-end.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
TeleportThis
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by Rei
I've had my fair share of bad chemistry teachers. I think all chemistry teachers are horrible teachers. They have an inability to make things make sense. Even the easiest concepts sound more complicated coming from them.

Whoa there. Be careful making generalizations like that. My high school chemistry teacher was amazing. Freshman chemistry was a breeze for anyone having high school chemistry with her.

But yeah, I mentioned it before I think, but I go to Iowa State University.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
orange
Member [03%]

2nd year at Eastern Kentucky University.
Major:Computer Electronic Networking
Minor: Business

Originally Posted by Rei
I've had my fair share of bad chemistry teachers. *I think all chemistry teachers are horrible teachers. *They have an inability to make things make sense. *Even the easiest concepts sound more complicated coming from them.

I have to side with TeleportThis here, I had 2 really good Chem teachers when I was in Highschool. Granted, all the other chem teachers at my high school sucked, but I didnt have them (luckally).

Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]
"To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous."

Originally Posted by Max T

Originally Posted by ShaiGar

I admire guys like you.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But someone who's self-taught usually knows the subject matter soooo much better than the guys seated at the back of a 200-strong lecture theatre, blanking out the professor's chatter with their own plans for the week-end.

I completely agree. I realized recently that my love for history will never translate to my love for history courses. It sucks having to learn something in a certain order or constricted to a syllabus.

Unfortunately, I need some stupid piece of paper to prove my abilities to stupid future employers. *sigh*

Originally Posted by TeleportThis

Originally Posted by Rei

Whoa there. Be careful making generalizations like that. My high school chemistry teacher was amazing. Freshman chemistry was a breeze for anyone having high school chemistry with her.

But yeah, I mentioned it before I think, but I go to Iowa State University.

You're probably right. I think I just suck at chemistry in the first place, the abstractness and yet, not abstract enough to be pure math. It REALLY doesn't help that I haven't had a good chemistry teacher/prof EVER. Every chemistry teacher in both the high schools I went to were horrible.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
thegnat
Member [25%]

I think it really does depend on the teacher you had - I had an AMAZING Chem 1 and AP chem high school teachers. So that made freshman chemistry in college a breeze.

It's so unfortunate people have bad teachers though.

Chemistry can be really fun. I think it should be a requirement for teachers to do more demos in class. Because demos are awesome.

Or do things like make liquid nitrogen ice cream or tie dye your own shirts with dye you made. Demo potassium, sodium, etc going into water, thermite reaction....those are always fun. liquid nitrogen is awesome by the way

Intro chem should also have half as many titrations as they do. Freshman chem in college you do SO FREAKING MANY. OK. I can swirl an Erlenmeyer flask while making a burette drip at a decent rate. FANTASTIC! I haven't had to use a Burette since. Now that I say that I'll have to. haha.

College intro chemistry for majors is a lot like AP Chem but I really do believe the professor really does make a difference. At Kenyon we have a non-majors course called Solar Energy OR Neuroscience. At Ohio Northern (I transferred here from there) there was a non-majors course - I heard it was a joke.

People afraid to take college chemistry: I think non-majors chem courses are probably a hell of a lot more entertaining AND the profs won't expect you to know shit about it. So they teach it a lot better. They also try to make it more fun because they know you probably are coming into it not thinking you'll enjoy it and just taking it cause you have to. They gotta keep your interest in a subject they're so passionate about. If I take Solar Energy cause I want to do environmental studies maybe or just for the heck of it - I'll tell you about it. But I heard it's really basic chemistry and more on environmental impacts of stuff...

OK. I've went off enough here....
Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
Firelie
Member [19%]
full-blown technicolor

I'm going to Portland State University for Graphic Design.

And yes, everyone here realizes that Portland isn't a state. *
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
generalowk
New Member [01%]

I have a friend from another message board who just graduated from Portland State!

I have a degree from the University of Wisconsin.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
ShaiGar
Banned

MBTI: ENTP

Originally Posted by Max T
I admire guys like you.

I completely agree. My sister(ISFP) doesnt like to read, she doesn't read international newspapers, doesnt follow world news, doesnt know who chomsky is, doesnt know what the monroe doctrine is, doesnt know much history, and yet somehow got a bachelors of international relations, majoring in tourism. also she drinks far too much.

That's the sort of person who you're lumped in with, "oh, you've got a masters in business? so did the last person, but he got drunk all through university and doesnt know the subject, how do i know you do?"

Originally Posted by Rei
I completely agree. *I realized recently that my love for history will never translate to my love for history courses. *It sucks having to learn something in a certain order or constricted to a syllabus.

Unfortunately, I need some stupid piece of paper to prove my abilities to stupid future employers. **sigh*

the syllabus thing though is precisely why i failed high school. all through primary school we learnt Egypt, Roman, Greek history. all through high school we learnt egypt, greek, roman. i got tired of it when i wanted to study mayan, khmer, inca, celtic, steppe, arab, persian, korean, chinese et cetera and fucked off to the town library to read instead.

as for the employer thing, i never liked being an employee and always wanted to invest in real estate like my parents or start my own ventures. so screw the paper.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
Figmentum
Member [02%]

University of Alaska, Anchorage next year.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
Paul V
Member [19%]

Kennedy University, next year.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:22 AM   #18
Gabrielle
Member [09%]
En apesanteur

Kings College London, 1st year medicine.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
HarleyQuinn
Member [09%]
Laugh this off... puddin'!

Me: Colby-Sawyer College (Senior)
Sister: Clark University (Junior)
Cousin 1: UMass (Graduated)
Cousin 2: UMass (Graduated)
Cousin 3: UC Santa Barbara (Dropped out IIRC)
Mom: Kenyon College. Syracuse University for Grad School.
Dad: UMass. Syracuse University for Grad School.
Uncle 1: Clark University
Grandfather 1: Bowling Green University

That's all I know of off the top of my head...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #20
brewmaster
Member [04%]

I have degrees from the University of Minnesota and Purdue
Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
justmeiguess
Member [02%]
I am a lover of truth, a worshipper of freedom, a celebrant at the altar of language and purity and tolerance.
MBTI: INTx

University of Leeds.

Final year, BA Broadcasting (TV Production). True, it sounds like a bit of a doss course, but I fancied a change from all the essay writing I've had to do for the last God knows how many years of school. It also meant I learnt something new ie. how to use a camera, and got me interested in script writing.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
thegnat
Member [25%]

Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn
Me: Colby-Sawyer College (Senior)
Sister: Clark University (Junior)
Cousin 1: UMass (Graduated)
Cousin 2: UMass (Graduated)
Cousin 3: UC Santa Barbara (Dropped out IIRC)
Mom: Kenyon College. Syracuse University for Grad School.
Dad: UMass. Syracuse University for Grad School.
Uncle 1: Clark University
Grandfather 1: Bowling Green University

That's all I know of off the top of my head...

Woo! Another Kenyon Lady!

With BGSU I have a couple friends that go there.

Let's see - for some of my relatives,
Drew University (aunt)
Syracuse U (aunt grad school)
Virginia Tech (aunt, uncle, father)
Wooster (grandma)
Harvard Law (grandpa)
University of Washington. (I *think* - he's into video game programming - cousin)
Kenyon College (2 cousins great uncle taught here, and of course yours truly)

those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
Jezebel
Administrator
The Grand High Poo-Bah

Nobody in my family has graduated from college yet (and I'm including all my aunts, uncles and cousins in this). Just curious - am I the only one here that comes from a family like that?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #24
deicruxified
Member [28%]
making beautiful things out of shit since 1986
MBTI: intj

de la salle university - manila (philosophy minor in literature... gravest mistake... graduated last '06)
st scholastica's college - manila (music)

i actually took both but as per priorities, i finished at dlsu first then i'll be continuing my music studies in a few month's time since i only got 2 years left. then after i finish music, i'll take up masters either in japan or in the u.s. ... it's gonna depend on dad.

as for the rest of the brood

younger sister: de la salle university - manila (psychology... currently teaching some courses at the same university)
cuz1: never took college coz he's focused on his restaurant business
cuz2: patts college of aeronautics (aeronautics engineer)
cuz3: adamson university - (psychology)

(i got a lot of cuz's actually but i just added the ones i know)

unc1: patts college of aeronautics (aeronautics engineer)
unc2: university of the philippines - los banos (doctor of philosophy in philosophy)
unc3: university of sto tomas - (medicine and physical therapy.. is now a doctor in chicago)
mom: university of the philippines (marketing)
dad: we're not that close so i have no idea but i know he's a nautical engineer

we got a lot of engineers and doctors on father's side. mother's side are into liberal arts and music (painters, "philosophers", musicians, sculptors). so i'd say, genetics would be the reason why i'm a balanced brained intj
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #25
Firelie
Member [19%]
full-blown technicolor

Originally Posted by Jezebel
Nobody in my family has graduated from college yet (and I'm including all my aunts, uncles and cousins in this). Just curious - am I the only one here that comes from a family like that?

Of my immediate family, yes (my dad JUST got his business degree this summer), of my extended (aunts + uncles), no.

Tags
college