What's the difference between hot, attractive, and sexy? None
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
iamhuman
Member [16%]
MBTI: INTJ

There seems to be some very individual ideas about what each of these means.

What is yours?

Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Haumea
Core Member [108%]

I think those three terms, as they are commonly used, are synonymous. People here tend to have their own idiosyncratic definitions of phenomena, which tends to confuse people.

There isn't an essential difference.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
iamhuman
Member [16%]

Originally Posted by Haumea
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I think those three terms, as they are commonly used, are synonymous. People here tend to have their own idiosyncratic definitions of phenomena, which tends to confuse people.

There isn't an essential difference.

I suppose. Although, I know that I can find someone attractive or, rather, label them as attractive and not think of them as sexy at all. Whereas, I could think someone is very sexy and realize that they are not attractive in any standard way (although they are attractive to me).

As for hot. I'm too old to know what that means.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Agent
New Member [01%]

All three of them are an up or down vote.

Hot > attractive > sexy.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Haumea
Core Member [108%]

Well, is there any difference as far as wanting to have sex with them?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Agent
New Member [01%]

In my younger years, nope.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Merak
Member [23%]
MBTI: INTP

Sex>Make Love>Fuck

I agree with Haumea, they are synonymous with only very slight differences in formality.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Haumea
Core Member [108%]

Sex>Make Love>Fuck>Making Fuck ("Clerks" ftw.)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
BellaBianca
Veteran Member [67%]
Play
MBTI: INFJ

To absolutely nitpick: There are differences. Hot is temperature, food can be hot, weather can be hot (okay, this is kinda "duh")

Attractive is when something is desired. A job can be attractive - or food, again, or a house.

Sexy. Well, that is when a person is sexually desirable.

Those terms have come to be used around each others, and will in a given context be synonymous, which is the context you talk about here.

Sexy is about the basic desire for, well, sex. This is why "sexy" also has begun to be used to describe "attractive" as in "attractive car" for an example. But basically, the car is not sexy, it is attractive, but the emotional response in a person who finds the car attractive, will be related to "sexy."

When "hot" is used about a person, this has to do with temperature. To find someone "sexy" is related to a warm feeling, therefore, "sexy" is "hot".
Old 01-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Agent
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by BellaBianca
Sexy. Well, that is when a person is sexually desirable.

My neighbor calls his dog sexy. That's when I take out my blank face.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Haumea
Core Member [108%]

But basically, the car is not sexy, it is attractive

Well, if we're going to nitpick, "sexy" is used for inanimate objects as well these days, including cars. That car is sexy, that report was "sexed up", etc.

So it is pretty much synonymous even beyond context used here.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
BellaBianca
Veteran Member [67%]
Play
MBTI: INFJ

Well, if we're going to nitpick, "sexy" is used for inanimate objects as well these days, including cars. That car is sexy, that report was "sexed up", etc.

So it is pretty much synonymous even beyond context used here.

Yup, but the terms have different origins of use. I find an understanding of this to be interesting when it comes to understanding why we use them as we do.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
Uriel
Core Member [174%]
I saw an angel in the marble and I carved until I set him free.
MBTI: eNTj

'Hot' is slang-y, shallow, and very informal. It seems to be overused to the point that its effect is watered down.

'Attractive' is more formal and is less used. It is sincere and doesn't have a sexual connotation.

'Sexy' is mostly physical. I use the word sexy if I want to have sex with them.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
AnaK
Core Member [142%]
MBTI: inFp

They are all three different. "Hot" would be like a Chippendale's dancer. Great pecks, but not someone I would be interested in. Sexy is more socially acceptable that "hot", but still, I would not be interested. I don't like people who try too hard. Attractive means they don't obviously play on sex to draw you in.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Haumea
Core Member [108%]

'Attractive' is more formal and is less used. It is sincere and doesn't have a sexual connotation.

Actually, I would argue that "attractive" is often the most insincere, P.C., toned down usage of "hot" or "sexy."

But the essential meaning is the same.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Calica
Core Member [160%]
"To live is to be born slowly."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
MBTI: infp

I can`t say they`re all the same to me as well, because they`re not. Sexy is mostly the attitude that goes with certain gestures or body language. One can be sexy, because of the way they carry themselves, and not be considered conventionally good looking. Hot is used far too often to describe someone one would like to sleep with, I presume. Attractive means pleasing to your personal taste, or in sync with the general opinion of desired attributes.*shrugs* At least that`s how I look at it.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
katrin
Core Member [191%]
MBTI: INFP

"Hot" is slang for someone who is sexy but may or may not be handsome or beautiful. So, a person who works out and dresses their nice-looking body to receive sexual attention is often going to be considered hot. Personality can be hot too if you know someone well enough to have a sense of their personality.

Hardly anyone says "sexy" anymore in a serious way. I haven't heard the word used except jokingly very often since the 80s. It's taken on its own slang meanings that have allowed hot to be the new word for sexy.

"Attractive" means the person's appearance and demeanor are pleasing in some way. An attractive person can also be hot but it may depend on the context in which you see them. Like, a cute girl at Target in a red shirt and khakis and no makeup may seem attractive but if you saw her dressed for a night out dancing, she might be hot. If someone looks hot even while wearing a Target uniform, then that person is probably highly good-looking.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
plotthickens
Core Member [853%]
Don't stick beans up your nose.

The difference is how much skill used & how many hours they spent getting ready to go.

Hot

<<nothing hotter than a man with a sense of humor

Attractive

Sexy

Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
ZerroDefex
Member [17%]
MBTI: ISTP

Originally Posted by katrin
"Hot" is slang for someone who is sexy but may or may not be handsome or beautiful. So, a person who works out and dresses their nice-looking body to receive sexual attention is often going to be considered hot. Personality can be hot too if you know someone well enough to have a sense of their personality.

Hardly anyone says "sexy" anymore in a serious way. I haven't heard the word used except jokingly very often since the 80s. It's taken on its own slang meanings that have allowed hot to be the new word for sexy.

"Attractive" means the person's appearance and demeanor are pleasing in some way. An attractive person can also be hot but it may depend on the context in which you see them. Like, a cute girl at Target in a red shirt and khakis and no makeup may seem attractive but if you saw her dressed for a night out dancing, she might be hot. If someone looks hot even while wearing a Target uniform, then that person is probably highly good-looking.

I mostly agree with Katrin and will give my own definitions. These do overlap somewhat of course but there are differences.

If a girl is Hot it means she is very pleasing to look at but I don't necessarily want to have sex with her.

If a girl is Sexy it means that I want to have sex with her but it doesn't mean I want anything more than that.

If a girl is Attractive it means I'd consider actually having a relationship with her as she is attractive in terms of character and personality.

An attractive women is not automatically hot or sexy, but she can be with a bit of work. A hot woman can still be unattractive or unsexy if there is some character flaw that makes me think she'd be more trouble than it'd be worth.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
rednet2
Member [04%]

The following are defined in the context of referring to a person of the opposite gender and relevant age:

hot - physically attractive, impersonal
sexy - physically attractive, more intimate than hot - implies a pre-existing relationship of some kind
attractive - much more vague, refers to any kind of attraction (includes both physical and abstract qualities)
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
Uriel
Core Member [174%]

Actually, I would argue that "attractive" is often the most insincere, P.C., toned down usage of "hot" or "sexy."

But the essential meaning is the same.

Really? I am sincere when I say someone is attractive. I guess it really is subjective.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #22
rahdam
Core Member [219%]
I squat everytime I go to the gym.

Hot is your body.
Attractive is your face.
Sexy is your attitude.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
AngryGroceries
Banned

Hot - Synonymous with sexy - sexually attractive body

Beautiful - Attractive face

Cute - Also attractive face + a certain (usually younger) look associated with it

Attractive - overall attractiveness of someone: a combination of desired looks\intelligence\behavior
Old 01-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #24
Uriel
Core Member [174%]

Originally Posted by rahdam
Hot is your body.
Attractive is your face.
Sexy is your attitude.

Yeah, sexy has a lot to do with attitude I think, so maybe I have to readjust my view. Hot and Attractive have very little (if anything) to do with attitude.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #25
AngryGroceries
Banned

Originally Posted by Uriel
Yeah, sexy has a lot to do with attitude I think, so maybe I have to readjust my view. Hot and Attractive have very little (if anything) to do with attitude.

Hmm, yeah. It's more often used to describe an action:
"She is hot"
"That was sexy"