What makes you lose your appetite? None
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Jamo
Member [09%]
MBTI: INtj

A few times a week, I hear someone say, "That made me lose my appetite." Be it talking about disgusting things while people are eating, or watching a medical show, some people seem to lose their appetite rather easily.

The only time I remember losing my appetite was when I was depressed about something. I can't remember anything else that has made me lose it.

I find the physical effect of appetite loss when paired with certain physiological stimuli.

So I want to ask you guys a couple things.

1) What gets you to lose your appetite?
2) Do you often lose your appetite?
3) Some people have had bad experiences with foods they used to like, so now they don't. Has this ever happened to you?

If there is anything you would like to add to or discuss, please go on right ahead!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
benr3600
Member [28%]
MBTI: INTJ

Heartbreak and other very extreme emotional states. I've been told that Adderall also takes away your appetite.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

1. Sudafed
2. Working long hours at a new job
3. Nasty smells
4. Biting into a piece of bone in hamburger
Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
elegantmachine
Member [03%]

If someone next to me is chewing with their mouths open, and makes a nasty sound. I can't eat, the sound irritates the hell out of me.

And farts. If someone farts when I'm eating, I get the rage.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
sircockburn
Veteran Member [88%]
grrrrrr!
MBTI: ENTP

People coughing, sneezing, blowing/picking their noses or vomiting while I'm eating. I'm a borderline hypochondriac, so I don't need to catch tuberculosis from someone's sneeze particles drifting and settling on my lunch. I'll lose it.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
pff
Member [04%]
MBTI: ENFJ

I have a really weak stomach as it is so it doesn't take much of anything for me to lose my appetite. The biggest culprit has been emotional distress though I think, I just lose any tenacity at all to eat.

Certain medications and topics of discussions (disgusting ones) can also make me lose my desire to eat. I also can no longer drink cranberry juice and vodka because of how sick I got after drinking them one night, the thought of drinking that drink still makes me a little nauseous.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Deliberator
Core Member [122%]

Originally Posted by Jamo
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not much. For example, you could talk about intestinal worms while I'm eating spaghetti and it would be no big deal.

What could make me lose my appetite sometimes is thinking too hard about getting killed or maimed in a certain way, but I'd have to really be mentally delving into what that would be like and there'd have to be some nuance about it that grabs my attention.

Being intensely stressed out will make me lose my appetite, but that doesn't happen often since I avoid stress pretty well.

Oh yeah, and pregnancy hormones.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not often, but I will say that in general my appetite is never that strong (hence I am very skinny).

3) Some people have had bad experiences with foods they used to like, so now they don't. Has this ever happened to you?

Nope.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
antistu
Core Member [177%]
Ad finis fidelis

I don’t know if something particular can make me lose my appetite as much as I just forget to eat in general.

In highly stressful periods of my life I went down 25lbs lower than my normal weight without noticing it at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
vampyremage
Member [09%]

Aside from illness or depression, not a whole lot. I can watch violent and bloody shows while eating with no effect, or talk about any number of different things that might be considered disturbing or disgusting and it doesn't bother me in the least. Even things that make me uncomfortable, like seeing people getting their eyes pierced by sharp objects, might make me look away from the show or movie but won't make me lose my appetite at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
VF1J
Veteran Member [53%]
I think of it like this: introverts are like rechargable batteries and extraverts are solar calculators... - Coralaisly
MBTI: INTx

A soup composed of entirely green ingredients...

Did I mention soup?
VF1J is online
Old 01-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Kricket
Core Member [118%]
Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things. Well known fact.
― Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters
MBTI: INfJ

If I'm too hot, too emotional, too tired... and especially if I ever find any piece of gristle in any piece of meat. Which is why I like liver.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Zsych
Core Member [469%]
MBTI: XNTX

Someone farting near me while I'm eating is no good.

I remember some gay dude going on and on about his experience of kissing men while I was trying to eat - that was pretty horrible.

There are forms of exercise that actually make me lose my appetite.

Being sick is no good.
Zsych is online
Old 01-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
Daes
Member [05%]

Either when I'm sick or have something better to do than eat.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Uriel
Core Member [183%]
Go away, stalker.
MBTI: xSxx

When I'm really angry.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
tms1337
Member [05%]

Extreme worry, but not really depression per se. I just don't feel like eating, I feel nothing in there. It's strange. I can usually eat even when I'm sick.

Recently, yes, but that's just about over. In terms of my entire life (23 years), no, not often at all; a handful of times.

I ate a chicken cesar wrap in high school. I felt extremely sick less than 5 minutes after eating it, and now chicken cesar anything brings me back to bad times. Wraps in general are sometimes slightly biased. It makes sense why I wouldn't want to eat it again though, clever brain.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
antistu
Core Member [177%]
Ad finis fidelis

Originally Posted by Uriel
When I'm really angry.

Yes, yesterday I was pretty aggravated and I sort of forgot I was hungry. I ended up eating but my focus was directed elsewhere so I didnít give it much thought. Stress and anger are key factors for me.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
sadf
Member [20%]

Originally Posted by sircockburn
People coughing, sneezing, blowing/picking their noses or vomiting while I'm eating. I'm a borderline hypochondriac, so I don't need to catch tuberculosis from someone's sneeze particles drifting and settling on my lunch. I'll lose it.

This and people leaning over my food.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
dontmesswithme
Core Member [129%]
I can see the good in you, and it's beautiful.
MBTI: INFJ

Emotional duress, like last year when my mother was being awful to me and I decided I couldn't spend time with her anymore. I had no appetite whatsoever.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Toad
Member [06%]
MBTI: INTP

I lose my appetite after eating 4+ servings of vegetables in one sitting or after a very, very strenuous lifting session. I force myself to keep going in both scenarios. It doesn't happen often.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
New Member [01%]
MBTI: XXXX

Most of the time the smell of food itself makes me loose my appetite.And yes I often loose my appetite.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
InfiniteLoop
Member [15%]

1) If I don't like the food in front of me or if I'm not feeling well, obviously. I also don't like finding gristle or veins or nerves in my meat, the idea of eating connective tissue just grosses me out for some reason. Emotionally? If something is severely bothering me and has been for some time. Physically? Stomach contents in a dissection specimen and vomit. I can't handle the stench of either, it makes me retch. I couldn't do it with the frog in Biology, I couldn't do it with the cat in Anatomy and Physiology, and I can't do it now. I also cannot stand the smell of ammonia; it also makes me physically ill and sometimes dizzy as well, which is really a shame because my mom cleans with it. Psychologically? I'm a pretty tough person, I guess. I can't think of anything that makes me ill with the mere thought of it...

2) No, I don't usually lose my appetite all that much, unless it's for any of the above reasons.

3) I did have one really bad experience with Barbecue chicken once. I was eight or so and my mom had made it for dinner. I loved BBQ chicken. That night I got very, VERY sick and threw up for days afterwards due to a bad case of the stomach flu. The stench from the barbecue chicken vomit was so awful that I didn't eat barbecue anything for years. I have since gotten over it and I am once again happily devouring barbecue sauce with my chicken nuggets. Unless I get them from McDonald's; I eat sweet and sour sauce with them if that's the case, mostly because I always have since I was a little girl. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
CoryKS
Member [04%]

Eating very large meals. Happens every time.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
Warrior
Core Member [389%]

I don't really like to hear about details of bodily functions or diseases while I'm eating, but it doesn't cause me to not want to eat. (My wife has a habit of describing the latest diseased kid she took care of while we are eating.) Otherwise, if I get sick enough to throw up soon after eating something (not necessarily due to the food - just getting sick), I lose interest in eating whatever the last thing I ate was for a very long time.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
freeeekyyy
Veteran Member [83%]
You Aren't Going to Find Anything in Here

Originally Posted by benr3600
Heartbreak and other very extreme emotional states. I've been told that Adderall also takes away your appetite.

Those are pretty much the things that do it for me, not much else. Also, I can confirm from first-hand experience that yes, adderall takes away appetite.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
Xyz
Member [03%]

People chewing loudly, slurping, talking with their mouth full, basically any sound being made while eating. Especially any om nom nom sounds, that'd make me want to throw up.
If certain people get too near me while eating, especially breathing on my food, that'll turn me off it...
Ketchup. Even the smell of the stuff will make me want to run away.

EDIT: And seeing chicken bones :x

But other than those things, nothing much bothers me. I've watched medical instruction videos of people in surgery and stuff while eating before.