What is the best/cheapest cell phone deal out there? None
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]
MBTI: INTJ

I'm thinking about getting a cell phone but it seems like a mine field out there.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
floramacivor
Member [43%]

Verizon seems to have the best coverage - you can get a signal in some areas where other providers can't.

A friend of mine with little money looked at the options and got a Trac Phone. You can buy minutes (cards) as you need them, so if you don't talk much, you can save money. The last time I looked, those kind of pay-as-you-go phones were $10 a month minimum. They require you to pay $10 per month even if you don't need the minutes. Maybe the Trac Phone is different?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

Originally Posted by floramacivor
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Verizon seems to have the best coverage - you can get a signal in some areas where other providers can't.

A friend of mine with little money looked at the options and got a Trac Phone. You can buy minutes (cards) as you need them, so if you don't talk much, you can save money. The last time I looked, those kind of pay-as-you-go phones were $10 a month minimum. They require you to pay $10 per month even if you don't need the minutes. Maybe the Trac Phone is different?

I currently have a Trac Phone. The minutes are kind of expensive but I'm not bound by a contract, which I don't want to have to deal with.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Warrior
Core Member [387%]

What kinds of things do you want to do? Just voice? Lots of texting? Extensive data use? The best plan depends a lot on the services you expect to use.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
JustMel
Core Member [444%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

I use Straight Talk from wal-mart. I have unlimited everything for $45/month. They also have a 1000 minutes, 1000 text messages and 30 MB of data for $30. I have no drop spots. They use Verizon towers but there is no roaming and even in the mountains when I was on vacation and those with me had AT&T, Cricket, etc they lost coverage and I never did. They have expensive and non expensive phones. No contract. It's better than any coverage I've ever had.

---------- Post added 01-11-2011 at 02:38 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Autumnleaf
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I currently have a Trac Phone. The minutes are kind of expensive but I'm not bound by a contract, which I don't want to have to deal with.

Trac Phone and Straight Talk are the same company. LOL. One is just unlimited. They don't like to admit they're the same company.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

Originally Posted by Warrior
What kinds of things do you want to do? Just voice? Lots of texting? Extensive data use? The best plan depends a lot on the services you expect to use.

Some texting and some talking. If I'm out of town for work a lot I use it more.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
floramacivor
Member [43%]

Originally Posted by Autumnleaf

You aren't happy with the Trac Phone? Are you looking for a different pay-as-you-go phone? I think the only other option is a contract.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
JustMel
Core Member [444%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

You aren't happy with the Trac Phone? Are you looking for a different pay-as-you-go phone? I think the only other option is a contract.

No he can go to Straight Talk and pay $30 or $45 a month depending on whether he wants unlimited or not and still have no contract.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

I'm looking for a cheaper noncontract alternative. Trac Phone is fine but it gets expensive when I use it alot.

---------- Post added 01-12-2011 at 02:55 PM ----------

Originally Posted by JustMel
No he can go to Straight Talk and pay $30 or $45 a month depending on whether he wants unlimited or not and still have no contract.

Thank you for the tip. I'll check it out.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Nashy19
New Member [01%]

I think there are average sized mobiles going for 10 top-up (plus 0.99 or 0.01).
I don't know if there's any more too it than that. They're good at making calls, probably not much else.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
adastra
Member [04%]
When you look at this, what do you see?

I pay $25 a month for 300 minutes and unlimited text/data. Virgin Mobile.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
jfc
Member [31%]

I've been looking at going to no contract. Pageplus is one Ive seen recommended, you can activate many Verizon phones and it uses the Verizon network so you get good coverage. I'm going to stay with Verizon for now though.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
JustMel
Core Member [444%]

Straight Talk uses Verizon's network too. Where my parents live in WY you can't get coverage... reliable coverage on anything except Verizon's network. AT&T is a joke out where they live but I ended up having excellent coverage with ST which was nice.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Doggzilla
Veteran Member [88%]

Ive had Verizon and currently have Sprint, and am much happier now, except that Sprint has total retards working tech support. ATT is just god awful, dont even think about it.
Ive never lost reception except for in hospitals, while with Verizon I could barely use my phone anywhere. Even out in the woods, Sprint seems to be superior, and they have fairly excellent coverage of highways.
They almost always have secret promotions out there, and I get mine for $50 with unlimited data. It used to be even less.
Doggzilla is online
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
JustMel
Core Member [444%]

In our area Sprint sucks. Maybe it's location.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
aranger
New Member [01%]

MBTI: infp

I got an Android X from Amazon for free when I signed up at Amazon here is a full review
I never had a smart phone before so I may be a bit biased with the Android X. read through the review and comments, it may be the right deal for you.