Reply
Thread Tools
Typing Pride and Prejudice fictional mbti
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 
What would you type the main characters from the story "Pride and Prejudice"?

Elizabeth Bennet
Jane Bennet
Mr.Darcy
Mr.Bingley
Mr.Wickham
Lydia Bennet

I'm sorry I left out so many characters but I thought it might be too many to type here.
JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
jerkface
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
 
I like this topic because I like the book.

Here goes my opinion:

Elizabeth: ENFP

E: she seems action-oriented (the walking, dancing, ect) and likes to talk not only to her family, but people she may not know very well (Wickham)

N: She is not afraid to challenge social convention, but, instead, in her gut, she assumes where she must challenge it that it is society that is wrong. Trusts her instincts even to a fault, takes risks.

F: She doesn't seem very interested in rules. She is more concerned with the feelings of her loved ones (Jane) and herself than anything else.

P: She's spontaneous and flexible. She seems to view repetition in her life as monotony instead of an enjoyable order.


Darcy: ISTJ

I: Seems to value thinking over socializing. Seeks specific knowledge.

S: Sees value in traditional beliefs. Seems to mistrust "hunches" or any other sort of whim, including his own feelings. Favors the present, the concrete, and experience.

T: Makes decisions based on a concept of order, responsibility, propriety, rules.

J: Lives a structured life. Seems to find change a little irritating.


Jane: INFJ

I: Seems to like a close-knit number of friends (she mainly talks to Bingley at parties, even). Keeps her feelings close to her. You get the sense she's not telling you everything.

N: Though she values tradition, you suspect she has hidden hope to go against it and that it would be right to do so. She seems to notice and understand things about people others do not perceive. To me she SEEMS like an s who is really an n.

F: More concerned with the feeling of others than even herself. Hallmark.

J: I'm reaching here. I'm not really sure- but her reluctance in society and her quiet intelligence suggests to me an affinity for structure. Also, I imagine she would keep a great house.


Bingley:

E: Enjoys the company of a large circle. Action-oriented.

N: Would have been perfectly willing to go against social convention if he had believed that Jane loved him. Doesn't find Elizabeth's behavior offensive. However, he does seem sort of oblivious to a lot of things.

F: Definitely more concerned with the needs of people and harmony than rules, structure (hence his deference to his sisters and Darcy)

P: Goes with the flow. Does what seems right at the moment. Seems to like change.


Wickham: ENTP

E: Action, like a large circle of "friends". Animated and flirty.

N: Very intuitive. He can sense the desires of others, takes a lot of risks. Relies on his instincts for almost everything.

T: More interested in fulfilling goals than the feelings of other people.

P: Spontaneous. Goes with the flow. Seems to thrive on change.

Lydia: ENTP

same as Wickham. Only her instincts are terrible.

ha ha ha ha
jerkface is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Supaslim
Member [15%]
Maladroit.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 627
 
I don't know, Lydia strikes me more as a feeler. A selfish feeler, but still... The girl doesn't think or plan or calculate, she just does whatever her heart desires, and acts according to her feelings (tantrums when she's upset, bubbly clinginess when she's "in love" with Wickham, etc).

How about Charlotte? I think INTP or INTJ. Definitely not a feeler.
Supaslim is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 

  Originally Posted by Supaslim
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I don't know, Lydia strikes me more as a feeler. A selfish feeler, but still... The girl doesn't think or plan or calculate, she just does whatever her heart desires, and acts according to her feelings (tantrums when she's upset, bubbly clinginess when she's "in love" with Wickham, etc).

How about Charlotte? I think INTP or INTJ. Definitely not a feeler.

Maybe Lydia is ESFP.

With Charlotte...INT p/J seems right. She seems like a J but a low J.

JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
OrangeAppled
Member [07%]
MBTI: INFP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 319
 
I'm typing the novel, as the many movies out there vary how each character comes across.

Elizabeth Bennet - INFJ, much more reserved in the novel, concerned with propriety, impressed with easy manners & friendliness - this all suggests Fe to me.
Jane Bennet - ISFP
Mr.Darcy - INTJ
Mr.Bingley - ESFP
Mr.Wickham - ESTP
Lydia Bennet - ESFJ
OrangeAppled is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 

  Originally Posted by OrangeAppled
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm typing the novel, as the many movies out there vary how each character comes across.

Elizabeth Bennet - INFJ, much more reserved in the novel, concerned with propriety, impressed with easy manners & friendliness - this all suggests Fe to me.
Jane Bennet - ISFP
Mr.Darcy - INTJ
Mr.Bingley - ESFP
Mr.Wickham - ESTP
Lydia Bennet - ESFJ

There is no way Elizabeth is an I. She provides contrast to the introvertedness of Jane, her father as well as Charlotte and finally that of Darcy. She may be ENFJ, but not INFJ.

JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
Supaslim
Member [15%]
Maladroit.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 627
 
I agree. She's incredibly social and outspoken; I'm fairly certain she's an E.
Supaslim is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
vampyroteuthis
Core Member [236%]
It's not a tautology unless I say it isn't.
MBTI: INTP
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,473
 
Part of that might just have been comforming to social expectations, though. She could be a mildly expressed I. She likes taking long walks by herself, she reads a great deal, she's not into hanging out at the military balls, and when she's stuck at Netherfield taking care of Jane (when Jane is sent to visit the Bingleys without a carriage and falls ill), she stays out of the way of the Bingleys, preferring to hang out by herself. And when she does have to socialise in the library with the rest of them, she picks a book out of the shelf and tries to sit and read it (though Caroline Bingley doesn't let her). All of these say introvert to me. Most of all there's the fact that she doesn't even confide in Jane, and mulls over her problems on her own.

So I think she's an I, just a socially graceful one.

(Wow. I can't believe I remember these plot points so well. Thank you, BBC.)
vampyroteuthis is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
jerkface
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 128
 

  Originally Posted by Supaslim
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I don't know, Lydia strikes me more as a feeler. A selfish feeler, but still... The girl doesn't think or plan or calculate, she just does whatever her heart desires, and acts according to her feelings (tantrums when she's upset, bubbly clinginess when she's "in love" with Wickham, etc).

How about Charlotte? I think INTP or INTJ. Definitely not a feeler.

you've got a point. the reason why I thought she may be a thinker instead of a feeler is that she seems to make decisions based on her own internal goals- and they don't often have much to do with the thoughts or feelings of others. I thought that one of the absolute requirements of a feeler is empathy- the conflict of meeting other people's needs as well as your own. Lydia doesn't seem to care. Also, she does calculate (she ran off with Wickham and had plans- albeit stupid ones- to get married before anyone knew what was up). The trouble is, her calculating sucks so bad that anyone would believe she wasn't doing it. Plus the fact that she IS so extraverted and a lot of her decisions are based on being social, I think, makes her seem like an F, but she is still really is a T.

By the way-off subject, but: I think feelers sometimes get a bad name. Without feelers, the Christmas season would be pretty drab. ha ha


I think Charlotte's an ISTJ. Why the difference with the S? She mistrusts Elizabeth's high-flown ideas because they are not based on the present, tangible reality that Charlotte has seen firsthand. She is extremely practical, makes decisions based on observable facts other than gut feelings. Basically, I think Charlotte is a humbler, less intellectual, possibly less obsessive Darcy. In fact, being an INTJ and loving my intuition- I've learned that I could really benefit from this way of thinking. Not entirely, sometimes you're just got to accept the possibility of something new and different to get the best result- but a good deal of the time- refusing to accept any evidence that is not absolutely irrefutable will benefit you. Ex: poker. In a game famous for risk-taking and bluffing, conservative players are still hard to beat.

Funny enough- one of my favorite characters in the book is Mr. Bennet. Now I'd type HIM as INTP. Yep. Typical absent-minded professor. Introverted, intuitive, detached and flexible.

jerkface is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 
This is my take but I'm not too confident in it:

Elizabeth: ENTP (because she kind of grates at me, and ENTPs are the only people who I feel that way with besides ISTJ). Also she seems kind of mean and not very warm to be honest.

Jane: INFJ

Bingley: ESFP ( I think if he were an N he would be more annoyed by Darcy and his sisters but he seems totally oblivious-he's my favorite character next to Jane in this book)

Darcy: INTJ (I really don't like him. I'm probably the only female in the world who likes neither Elizabeth nor Darcy. I much prefer the protagonists in "Persuasion". Just another side note.)

Wickham: ENTP (He's too cunning and his plans are too well thought out to be an S in my view. But if he is an S then ESTP.)

Lydia: ESFP (Her whole world is about crushing and flirting and she is totally senseless to the feelings and realities around her. Ugh).

Charlotte Lucas: I had put INTP/J before but ISTJ could work as well as someone else mentioned above.

Mr. Collins: ISTJ

Mrs. Bennet: ESFJ

Mr.Bennet: INTP
JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Supaslim
Member [15%]
Maladroit.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 627
 

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This is my take but I'm not too confident in it:

Elizabeth: ENTP (because she kind of grates at me, and ENTPs are the only people who I feel that way with besides ISTJ). Also she seems kind of mean and not very warm to be honest.

I'm not sure. She's a very emotionally driven character- her insistence to marry for love, her constant spiteful attacks on Darcy, her freak-out when Lydia runs off. Also, most of the conversations she has are about relationships or feelings. Maybe there was just nothing else to talk about if you were a woman back in that day and age, but I don't know. I just can't see a T being so focused on feelings and relationships. Not that Ts can't focus on them; it's just that she never seems to stop thinking in terms of how one person's actions will make other people feel (for example, she seemed pretty surprised and maybe a bit horrified when Charlotte married Mr. Collins, because she thinks she couldn't possibly be happy in a marriage without love).

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darcy: INTJ (I really don't like him. I'm probably the only female in the world who likes neither Elizabeth nor Darcy. I much prefer the protagonists in "Persuasion". Just another side note.)

I wasn't very fond of Elizabeth or Darcy in the book, either. They were utter assholes from the start. I was forced to take a Jane Austen course last year, and when I shared this opinion with the class, I swear, twenty jaws hit the floor and I had people arguing with me for the next hour.

I do love Colin Firth, though...

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mrs. Bennet: ESFJ

Mr.Bennet: INTP

Poor Mr. Bennet, he married somebody he has nothing in common with. XD

Supaslim is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
OrangeAppled
Member [07%]
MBTI: INFP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 319
 

  Originally Posted by vampyroteuthis
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part of that might just have been comforming to social expectations, though. She could be a mildly expressed I. She likes taking long walks by herself, she reads a great deal, she's not into hanging out at the military balls, and when she's stuck at Netherfield taking care of Jane (when Jane is sent to visit the Bingleys without a carriage and falls ill), she stays out of the way of the Bingleys, preferring to hang out by herself. And when she does have to socialise in the library with the rest of them, she picks a book out of the shelf and tries to sit and read it (though Caroline Bingley doesn't let her). All of these say introvert to me. Most of all there's the fact that she doesn't even confide in Jane, and mulls over her problems on her own.

So I think she's an I, just a socially graceful one.

(Wow. I can't believe I remember these plot points so well. Thank you, BBC.)


This is pretty much why I see her as an introvert also, and why I think she is Fe-aux, as socially, non-shy Fe-aux people can seem lively and very friendly. Contrast her with another Austen Fe character, such as Edmund Bertram in Mansfield Park (I think he's ENFJ). He's actually less playful because he's even more concerned with propriety, being Fe-dom. I think it's being Ni-dom with Fe-aux which allows Elizabeth the cutting wit that doesn't quite cross the line. Ne people don't feel those boundaries as acutely; there's less awareness of what is appropriate (same with Fi people in a different way).

A good example of an ENFP is Marianne in Sense & Sensibility, who is much less restrained & careful than Elizabeth. In the most recent film adaption of P&P, no doubt that Keira Knightly pays Elizabeth as ENFP though.

Of course, Elizabeth is certainly not as reserved as Anne Elliott in Persuasion (who I think is also INFJ, possibly ISFJ), but there are different levels of I/E, and she seems to have much higher self-esteem.


-----

Charlotte Lucas: ISTJ
Mr. Collins: ISFJ
Lady Catherine de Bourgh - ESTJ
Mrs. Bennet: ESFJ
Mr. Bennet: INTP

OrangeAppled is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 

  Originally Posted by OrangeAppled
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This is pretty much why I see her as an introvert also, and why I think she is Fe-aux, as socially, non-shy Fe-aux people can seem lively and very friendly. Contrast her with another Austen Fe character, such as Edmund Bertram in Mansfield Park (I think he's ENFJ). He's actually less playful because he's even more concerned with propriety, being Fe-dom. I think it's being Ni-dom with Fe-aux which allows Elizabeth the cutting wit that doesn't quite cross the line. Ne people don't feel those boundaries as acutely; there's less awareness of what is appropriate (same with Fi people in a different way).

A good example of an ENFP is Marianne in Sense & Sensibility, who is much less restrained & careful than Elizabeth. In the most recent film adaption of P&P, no doubt that Keira Knightly pays Elizabeth as ENFP though.

Of course, Elizabeth is certainly not as reserved as Anne Elliott in Persuasion (who I think is also INFJ, possibly ISFJ), but there are different levels of I/E, and she seems to have much higher self-esteem.


-----

Charlotte Lucas: ISTJ
Mr. Collins: ISFJ
Lady Catherine de Bourgh - ESTJ
Mrs. Bennet: ESFJ
Mr. Bennet: INTP


True, Marianne is definitely an ENFP. Elizabeth's restraint may come from either a T or a J in there.


However, just a note... not all ENFPs are made equal. One need not be as maudlin as Marianne to be an ENFP. Not all ENFPs are comic, melodramatic portrayals of human life. Some ENFPs are more restrained than others and on occasion have the capacity to think in a logical fashion. ;-)

JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
vulcanhuman
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
 

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bingley: ESFP ( I think if he were an N he would be more annoyed by Darcy and his sisters but he seems totally oblivious-he's my favorite character next to Jane in this book)

Yeah I think you are right about bingley. and I agree, he is my favourite character for sure. I would totally have hung out with darcy, we are practically the same person after all, but I would have gone for bingley for sure. Oh and I used to hate darcy too, when I was younger, but then I read the book actually instead of just watching the movies and came to appreciate him more. But he would still annoy the crap out of me in real life. Everything I hate about him is what I hate about myself. ha

Oh, and someone said Mr. Darcy WASN'T an INTJ...What? He HAS to be an INTJ I completely and totally understand just about everything about him. Even how when he confesses his love for Elizabeth he tells her basically how degrading it is because she is so beneath him and everything...unfortunately I would probably say that to someone in that situation. Anyway He has to be an INTJ there is absolutely no question!

vulcanhuman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 

  Originally Posted by vulcanhuman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yeah I think you are right about bingley. and I agree, he is my favourite character for sure. I would totally have hung out with darcy, we are practically the same person after all, but I would have gone for bingley for sure. Oh and I used to hate darcy too, when I was younger, but then I read the book actually instead of just watching the movies and came to appreciate him more. But he would still annoy the crap out of me in real life. Everything I hate about him is what I hate about myself. ha

Oh, and someone said Mr. Darcy WASN'T an INTJ...What? He HAS to be an INTJ I completely and totally understand just about everything about him. Even how when he confesses his love for Elizabeth he tells her basically how degrading it is because she is so beneath him and everything...unfortunately I would probably say that to someone in that situation. Anyway He has to be an INTJ there is absolutely no question!

No doubt Darcy is INTJ...

JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
Jantei
Member [09%]
"The only constant is change." —Heraclitus
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 376
 

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What would you type the main characters from the story "Pride and Prejudice"?

1. Elizabeth Bennet
2. Jane Bennet
3. Mr.Darcy
4. Mr.Bingley
5. Mr.Wickham
6. Lydia Bennet

I'm sorry I left out so many characters but I thought it might be too many to type here.

Based on the novel:

1. INFJ
2. INFP
3. INTJ
4. ENFP
5. ESTP
6. ESFP

Jantei is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
JulietCapulet
Veteran Member [96%]
 
MBTI: XXXX
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,865
 

  Originally Posted by Jantei
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Based on the novel:

1. INFJ
2. INFP
3. INTJ
4. ENFP
5. ESTP
6. ESFP

Hmmm, I just can't see an INFJ being as stubborn and contrary as Elizabeth. She exerts herself too freely. And believe me, I don't like the character of Elizabeth and have no desire to be like her, but I really think she is extroverted.

JulietCapulet is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #18
Jantei
Member [09%]
"The only constant is change." —Heraclitus
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 376
 

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hmmm, I just can't see an INFJ being as stubborn and contrary as Elizabeth. She exerts herself too freely.

Then you have clearly not met or interacted with many INFJs. I see that you typed her as an ENTP, yet you acknowledge her stubbornness. This seems odd to me, as obstinacy is mainly a 'J' characteristic. Ps are the easily swayed ones.

She is also certainly not a 'T'. A salient passage that comes to mind displaying her proclivity towards the 'F' side of things occurs in Chapter 10, when Darcy criticizes Bingley's precipitance, and his easily swayed nature. Elizabeth sides with Bingley, arguing that yielding to the persuasion of a friend is preferable to analyzing the specific situation, as Darcy advocates.

She also bears Darcy a grudge from the time of their very first meeting, when he overlooked her as a dancing partner. This is despite Darcy's repeated attempts to make amends. The type of blind stubborness and unwavering enmity Elizabeth displays is epitomic of INFJs, based on my experience, aside from being emblematic 'F' behavior.

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
And believe me, I don't like the character of Elizabeth and have no desire to be like her, but I really think she is extroverted.

She is not an extreme introvert by any means, but she still manages to fall on the 'I' side of things.

Telling signs are that she is an avid reader. She enjoys solitary walks. She keeps many of her own feelings to herself, even from Jane, her closest confidante.

"But, Lizzy, you have been very sly, very reserved with me. How little did you tell me of what passed at Pemberley and Lambton!"

When Mr. Darcy professes not to have the talent of conversing easily with strangers, Elizabeth points out that she, too, does not have the ability to play the pianoforte as well as some other ladies; but she also admits to being fully aware that this deficiency is entirely a result of her lack of practice. Darcy smiles, agrees, and observes that neither one of them perform to strangers. This is an example of an introverted tendency, which they have in common.

Jantei is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #19
vulcanhuman
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
 

  Originally Posted by JulietCapulet
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hmmm, I just can't see an INFJ being as stubborn and contrary as Elizabeth. She exerts herself too freely. And believe me, I don't like the character of Elizabeth and have no desire to be like her, but I really think she is extroverted.

I don't think Elizabeth is an INFJ either. Both my dad and brother are INFJ's I also have a two close friends that are INFJ's one male and one female. So, i'm quite familiar with their personality type, more so than I would even like to, and none of them remind me of Elizabeth Bennet, or vise vera. I think that she is an "E" as well, not sure about the other letters. But, that might be why you hate her, because she is like you...? I've always hated Darcy. :/

vulcanhuman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #20
lumin
Member [27%]
∞
MBTI: INFJ
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,102
 
Elizabeth Bennet - ENFJ
Jane Bennet - ISFJ
Mr. Darcy - INTJ
Mr. Bingley - xSFP
Mr. Wickham - ESFP
Lydia Bennet - ESFJ
Mrs. Bennet - E!SFJ
Mr. Bennet - IsTP
Mary Bennet - IxTP
Lady Catherine de Bourgh - xNTJ
lumin is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #21
TenochAcampicht
Member [33%]
I think I have something in my eye =P
MBTI: INTP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,324
 
Darcy seems to me not to be that INTJ.
Here is the thing, an INTJ could care less about authority, social standing or what people think of us, maybe it's just me speaking from my own experience, but I could care less what someone who has wealth thinks of me, or if they think someone's "class" is below, frankly, I then see them as arrogant snobs and not worth my consideration.

As to the declaration, that's not an INTJ way of doing things.
I do not detect our keen sense of strategizing from him well either, more focusing on details, which is an S trait.

For a fictional INTJ, in classic literature would be Alexey Karenin (from Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy).

For more recent works, Gandalf and of course Severus Snape.
TenochAcampicht is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
MagicLoro
Member [04%]
 
MBTI: xxxx
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 196
 

  Originally Posted by TenochAcampicht
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darcy seems to me not to be that INTJ.
Here is the thing, an INTJ could care less about authority, social standing or what people think of us, maybe it's just me speaking from my own experience, but I could care less what someone who has wealth thinks of me, or if they think someone's "class" is below, frankly, I then see them as arrogant snobs and not worth my consideration.

As to the declaration, that's not an INTJ way of doing things.
I do not detect our keen sense of strategizing from him well either, more focusing on details, which is an S trait.

For a fictional INTJ, in classic literature would be Alexey Karenin (from Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy).

For more recent works, Gandalf and of course Severus Snape.

I disagree. INTJs have a natural superiority complex (at least I think we do) and when bolstered by a landed class upbringing + the contextual important of social standing, Darcy probably thinks about class all the time and uses it as justification for elevating himself.

MagicLoro is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
vulcanhuman
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
 

  Originally Posted by TenochAcampicht
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darcy seems to me not to be that INTJ.

For a fictional INTJ, in classic literature would be Alexey Karenin (from Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy).

I agree that Alexey Karenin is an INTJ. But I don't see how you can't see that him and Darcy are practically the same person?!

Only difference is Jane doesn't give us as many insights into Darcy's character as Tolstoy gives into Alexey's but that's because Jane's stories are about a certain heroine (in this case Elizabeth Bennet) and any other characters are merely supplementary.

So...maybe you are thinking Darcy is not an INTJ because you don't see as far into his "Soul" as you do with Alexey. Because Darcy couldn't be more INTJ if he tried.

Have you read Pride and Prejudice...or are you basing your analysis on a film adaptation. Because that could be why you don't see it also.

vulcanhuman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
Wien1938
Member [04%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 184
 
Elizabeth Bennet - INTP (Naive, brave, insightful, intellectual)
Jane Bennet - ISTJ (Honourable, conventional, not demonstrative)
Mr.Darcy - INTJ (Honourable, intellectual, reserved)
Mr.Bingley - ESFP (Open, lively, expressive, unintellectual)
Mr.Wickham - ISFP (note: this is a deeply corrupt ISFP - see narcissism)
Kitty Bennet - ESFP (a silly sheep)
Lydia Bennet - ISFP (headstrong, foolish, driven by pleasures)

---------- Post added 11-21-2010 at 03:32 AM ----------

Lizzie cannot be an ENFJ for the simple reasons that her actions and thoughts are not shaped by conventional values. If she were, she would have married Mr Collins.

She is INTP because she is intellectual, values her own space, views the world idealistically, and when Caroline Bingley mocks her for reading rather than playing cards, Mr Darcy praises her indirectly for her attention to literature and learning, rather than social pastimes.

---------- Post added 11-21-2010 at 03:35 AM ----------

She has also by the first proposal convinced herself that Darcy is a wicked villain. That she changes her mind subsequently fits very neatly into the ability of INTPs to examine the details while retaining the bigger picture.
Wien1938 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
TenochAcampicht
Member [33%]
I think I have something in my eye =P
MBTI: INTP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,324
 

  Originally Posted by vulcanhuman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I agree that Alexey Karenin is an INTJ. But I don't see how you can't see that him and Darcy are practically the same person?!

Only difference is Jane doesn't give us as many insights into Darcy's character as Tolstoy gives into Alexey's but that's because Jane's stories are about a certain heroine (in this case Elizabeth Bennet) and any other characters are merely supplementary.

So...maybe you are thinking Darcy is not an INTJ because you don't see as far into his "Soul" as you do with Alexey. Because Darcy couldn't be more INTJ if he tried.

Have you read Pride and Prejudice...or are you basing your analysis on a film adaptation. Because that could be why you don't see it also.

Because of the very fact that, Darcy seems to be fine with traditions, roles and so on, following the rules, etc. those are not INTJ traits, but rather ISTx, we generally do not care about authority, social rules, hierarchies or etiquette. Things Darcy seem to hold close, which is more of an Si trait.

I have read the book, and as INTJs and ISTx is often confused, I reckon he is ISTx.
As to natural superiority complex (which in it's modern form, is called NPD), is a trait owned by ESTx and ENTx, as extraversion is needed to interact with a superiority complex, you are confusing schizotypal traits with arrogance here.

Plus, he hates hunches, INTJs are often used to using hunches, our primary function is Ni, that's how I see him as not an INTJ. He wouldn't mistrust hunches so much had he been INxx.

Elizabth gives me an ENFJ vibe.

Bingley is an ESFP as far as I can see.

As to Wickham, ExTP, beyond a doubt, I am going for ESTP, because of his ability to read people, a common Se trait. Definitely a P. And emotionally short, so T.

TenochAcampicht is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fictional mbti

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, and MBTI are trademarks or registered trademarks of the
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Trust in the United States and other countries.