Reply
Thread Tools
INTJs and alcohol drugs
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Kuzya
Member [02%]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 115
 
My history with alcohol consists of growing up in an alcholic country and being allowed to drinka as much as I wanted as a kid. I got drunk once in my life when I was 8, felt sick, so I my 1st classically INTJ action - poured mum's and partner's bottles down the toilet and promised myself I'd never drink again. So for 11 years I didn't till I developed an anxiety disorder and my mum started pouring me a little for relaxation. For another 2 years I drank maybe a glass of wine every couple of weeks. It realxed me at 1st but when the effect wears off, my heartrate goes crazy and doesn't slow down for several hours. That 30 mins of relaxation just isn't worth it, so I gave it up alltogether.

I dunno whether I have an allergy to an ingredient or maybe my INTJ nervous system can't take anything messing with it. I don't smoke or do drugs either so maybe I'm just generally averse to the idea of anything messign with my mind or nervous system? Are any other INTJs like this?

Also, cause I've enver experienced a hangover, I jsut listen to people to people complaining abotu hangovers increduolously. My logical INTJ response is - why on Earth would you drink so much of you know it causes you pain later?
Kuzya is offline
Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
themuzicman
Core Member [323%]
I am INTJ.  Your argument is invalid.
Resistance is futile.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,951
 
Well, for people whose feelings are always out in front, that relief is the only relief they get, and short of dealing with the pain, numbing it is the easiest way to deal with it.

Yeah, it's unhealthy, but sometimes the short term fix is all you can think about.
themuzicman is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
freeeekyyy
Veteran Member [83%]
You Aren't Going to Find Anything in Here
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,321
 
I do fine with alcohol. I drink fairly regularly, but I never get drunk. I enjoy a good beer or a good whiskey, but my purpose is not to affect my mental state.
freeeekyyy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
GouldFan
Veteran Member [99%]
I'm an oscillator. I oscillate and that's what I do.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,967
 
I think getting drunk is pointless, but some alcoholic beverages are refreshing. I like half a bottle of cold beer on a hot summer evening with good company. I didn't used to like beer at all, but learning about the fermentation process and visiting a local brewery for a class made me appreciate the product more. Alcoholic beverages are interesting in that respect, because making them involve artistic and technical endeavors.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GouldFan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
eileen
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 17
 
Both of my brothers are alcoholics but I am not. INTJs like to be in control so substance abuse is probably not an issue as often as it is with other personalities. I especially don't like the way drugs make me feel, although one-two glasses of wine works well for me if it is not too far from bedtime. Wine makes me sleepy but relaxed.
eileen is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Jeroen De Dauw
Member [06%]
Analysing reality
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 246
 
No alcohol for me - why drink something that's known for making you lose focus, cause addiction and other issues? This is the stuff you do want:


To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jeroen De Dauw is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Still Standing
Core Member [138%]
MBTI: Isfp
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,533
 

  Originally Posted by Jeroen De Dauw
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
No alcohol for me - why drink something that's known for making you lose focus, cause addiction and other issues?

The Internet can have that effect for some. For others it's sex. I guess it's best to stop doing those too, just in case.

As a non-INTJ, I don't like losing control either, so I don't do anything to a point where this happens. I enjoy drinking but I don't get drunk. I enjoy eating but I don't do megaportions or binge eating. I go shopping when I need to but I don't do shopping sprees, buy stuff I don't need or spend money I don't have.

  Originally Posted by Kuzya
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just listen to people to people complaining about hangovers increduolously. Why on Earth would you drink so much of you know it causes you pain later?

I never figured that out either. Fine, get a hangover if you like, but please just stay in bed and shut up about it.

And, well, if you can't handle any alcohol at all, I guess it's best to stay away from it. Some people simply aren't built to process it properly. Even some peoples, like the natives up here in Canada.

Still Standing is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Vulkan
Member [17%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 683
 
I have only gotten extremely drunk once in my life, but I find even in such cases I do not "lose my mind", and I also never get a hangover. I remember it all and still have control during the process, even if motor functions are shot.

Of course, being nearly comatose from alcohol poisoning and throwing up for hours is NOT fun. I learned my lesson there. Since then I do enjoy getting slightly buzzed, or even drunk occasionally, but not enough to get sick. Do I need alcohol? No.

As for the alcohol and anxiety thing, alcohol (and caffeine) both constrict blood vessels which raises blood pressure, that has an adverse effect on anxiety sometimes even creating attacks. For me personally I find alcohol very rarely provokes an attack, while caffeine almost ALWAYS will, if I have, say more than one cup of coffee here and there.
Vulkan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
Jeroen De Dauw
Member [06%]
Analysing reality
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 246
 

  Originally Posted by Still Standing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet can have that effect for some. For others it's sex. I guess it's best to stop doing those too, just in case.

That's a shallow argument focusing only on the possible averse effects, and completely neglecting the benefits.

Jeroen De Dauw is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Still Standing
Core Member [138%]
MBTI: Isfp
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,533
 

  Originally Posted by Still Standing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Internet can have that effect for some. For others it's sex. I guess it's best to stop doing those too, just in case.

  Originally Posted by Jeroen De Dauw
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
That's a shallow argument focusing only on the possible averse effects, and completely neglecting the benefits.

I don't follow you. The Internet, sex and alcohol all have benefits. It's their excessive use or consumption that turn those benefits into problems.

Still Standing is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Berserkr
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 17
 
These days I don't drink to get drunk, but a beer or two can be very refreshing. It usually helps with my creativity and diminishes sense of shame; thus, making me a little more witty and quick to respond.
Berserkr is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
Jeroen De Dauw
Member [06%]
Analysing reality
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 246
 

  Originally Posted by Still Standing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I don't follow you. The Internet, sex and alcohol all have benefits.

So what exactly are the benefits of alcohol that drinks that don't get you drunk do not have? Obviously you can see getting drunk as an advantage, but I don't, and I can't imagine many INTJs do either. Most objects have both positive and negative properties - this in it own does not make the wisdom of trading the negative ones for the positive ones equal for all of them! Therefore your ridiculing of my original statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Jeroen De Dauw is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #13
Troll
Member [04%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 162
 
I drank quite a bit as a malcontent youth. Now i'm a malcontent adult, but I don't drink as much. I think it was because it made me more sociable in that ever important high school social scene. I really don't care much for the drinking, or the socializing that much anymore.
Troll is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #14
JakeN
New Member [01%]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
 
never drank once in my life and would probably be considered in the crowd of "cool kids" (high school jock and social fraternity in college). Not an attempt to brag or anything, just giving context to the fact that I was/am often pressured to drink and was/am constantly surrounded by it. Here's my take:

I choose not to, but I think that is based largely on the settings I am in. If my social circles just drank one or two drinks a week, I think I might join in. My circles (i'm 23) still drink for almost the exclusive purpose of getting messed up as fast as possible. My distaste for joining in on this echoes an earlier post someone made about not losing control, bad for your health etc... Counterpoints were made about how just because alcohol can be a certain way, doesn't mean it should be written off. I agree with that arguement as well, and although I think the benefits of drinking (besides the social/fitting in ones that INTJ's don't value very highly) are low, I think once my social circles start drinking more maturely, there is a strong possibility I would join. Otherwise, at this point, it seems rather pointless to drink one beer while my friends race to get hammered, on top of it being a slippery slope towards joining my friends, so I'll stick with my coke for now.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JakeN is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #15
ewanduffy
New Member [01%]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 57
 
I don't drink for medical reasons - however, as I do give an impression of being of strong opinions (in typical INTJ style, I don't say much unless I know what I am talking about), the response I give if I not ready to reveal the medical reason behind my non drinking is that I am dangerous enough sober. Imagine what I might say if I was drunk!
ewanduffy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
Still Standing
Core Member [138%]
MBTI: Isfp
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,533
 

  Originally Posted by Jeroen De Dauw
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So what exactly are the benefits of alcohol that drinks that don't get you drunk do not have? Obviously you can see getting drunk as an advantage, but I don't, and I can't imagine many INTJs do either. Most objects have both positive and negative properties - this in it own does not make the wisdom of trading the negative ones for the positive ones equal for all of them! Therefore your ridiculing of my original statement makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm sorry if I seem to have ridiculed your choice not to drink, but to me, alcohol, sex and the Internet all result in the same kind of problem, when there is a problem, i.e. dependency.

I don't consider getting drunk a benefit of alcohol. I was referring to 1) the pleasant, relaxed feeling one gets after a drink a two, and 2) the lowering of cholesterol and prevention of heart disease that comes with regular but moderate consumption.

Of course, everybody has their weakenesses, and if lack of moderation for something in particular (anything really, whether it's gaming, shopping, religious beliefs, etc.) creates problems for you, it is indeed best that you do not indulge in it.

---------- Post added 08-29-2010 at 01:35 PM ----------

My point ultimately being that a pedophile who blames children for his weakness and consequent problems cannot be taken seriously. And this is what I read in Jeroen's statement that alcohol is "something that's known for making you lose focus, cause addiction and other issues".

Still Standing is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
tzeqin
Member [05%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 200
 
I focus better when I drink - helps me with homework. Also have a very high tolerance for alcohol, and at 25, I have never been drunk before, ever. [I will just pee a lot XD]
tzeqin is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
Eboni
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
 
A glass of wine or a drink with dinner is fine. Since INTJ's are in control of our minds. We are not going to put up with substance abuse in our own bodies.
Besides what is the point of getting drunk. Whatever made you turn to a bottle is still there when you sober up and sometimes you have made the situation worse by drinking.
Eboni is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
astrolite
Member [16%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 657
 
Where are you guys getting this alcohol that makes you lose control of yourself? I've been very intoxicated before and have always maintained control over my actions.
astrolite is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
INTroJect
Core Member [256%]
Everything that exists is in a manner the seed of that which will be.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,273
 

  Originally Posted by astrolite
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Where are you guys getting this alcohol that makes you lose control of yourself? I've been very intoxicated before and have always maintained control over my actions.

Or you think you have control of your actions but you actually dont. Getting drunk once a week was a regular thing back in the day when I had a life. Would often say really stupid things and regret it the next day. For example, the last time I got really smashed I begged some guy to come up to my room and sleep with me. The next day I forgot about it but we crossed paths and he was like "ummm...do you remember doing etc etc etc..." Really embarassing. I think at the time I just meant for him to come up and keep company because I really wasnt planning on anything spectacular happening.

But that drinking habit has fizzed out for the most part. Maybe now ill down a plastic cup of cheap wine once in a while before going to bed.

INTroJect is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #21
radames
Member [04%]
MBTI: IxTJ
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 190
 
My family has always been really good at drinking. In the past I avoided it pretty strictly because of religious reasons and because I sang a lot. Now, I'm much more lax with my approach to it and could probably be the "life of the party" if I constantly got drunk. When other people are stumbling all over the place and blowing up chunks, I treat the alcohol like it is water and I keep it down pretty easily. My brother is the same way. He will try any drink and can drink a lot of people under the table. I never challenged him to a drinking contest or anything, it would be too expensive for us!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Anyway, now I have the occasional drink, but I always wonder if I will let out the "alcoholic beast" sometime in life.
radames is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #22
Vulkan
Member [17%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 683
 

  Originally Posted by Eboni
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A glass of wine or a drink with dinner is fine. Since INTJ's are in control of our minds. We are not going to put up with substance abuse in our own bodies.
Besides what is the point of getting drunk. Whatever made you turn to a bottle is still there when you sober up and sometimes you have made the situation worse by drinking.

Well, I did not drink too much that one time to temporarily escape my problems, I did it more for the experience, and because it felt rather good after a hard day of physical labour.

Vulkan is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #23
Master Remos
New Member [01%]
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 75
 
I have had only once consumed alcohol and that was in large quantity. But I still could think clearly, however my coordination wasn't that good anymore (I still could ride a bike), but still better than most of my friends that had consumed same amount of alcohol (they had difficulties even with walking). After I didn't have even hangover. I suppose it was cause I used my bicycle to go home.
Master Remos is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #24
INTroJect
Core Member [256%]
Everything that exists is in a manner the seed of that which will be.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,273
 
I should also report that my hangovers, when I have them, are sometimes the complete opposite of the standard hangover - Ill hop out of bed like the flick of a switch, after only a couple of hours of sleep, completely aware, full of way too much energy (often annoyingly so), and wanting to take over the world. Sometimes with a very slight/distant headache but not a problem. My best gym days are with a hangover, like happily running 10 miles and wanting to do it again.

Its usually around the evening that it will all suddenly kick in and its *boom*, hit the bed until the next day. The day after hangover-day is sometimes emotionally difficult but not physically.
INTroJect is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #25
Judoka
Banned
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 213
 
I don't drink. I didn't drink. And I won't drink period.
It's stupid, wasting money and why would I want to hurt my brain? Which is the INTJs sacred land.
Judoka is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drugs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, and MBTI are trademarks or registered trademarks of the
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Trust in the United States and other countries.