Is beer a good source of probiotics? nutrition
Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Syntax
Member [21%]
“Emotions run deep within our race, in many ways more deeply than in humans. Logic offers a serenity humans seldom experience, a control of feelings so that they do not control you.”
MBTI: INTP

If so...how much longer until we start seeing this fact featured in Ads? :P
Syntax is online

Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!
MBTI: INTJ

Beer uses yeast. However, the yeast die in the process of fermenting the beer due to alcohol poisoning and other treatments from the brewer (or simply lack of food due to using up all available sugars).

In other words, no.

Same goes for pretty much all alcohols -- the end result is sterile by far. You could clean an entire house with vodka. Or urine, if you felt so inclined.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
altoid
Core Member [104%]

I've seen people attempt to add similar probiotic bacteria to beer as those found in yogurt, but I've not seen any that were able to maintain viability of those bacteria. You'd probably be better off just washing down your beer with a yogurt.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Syntax
Member [21%]
“Emotions run deep within our race, in many ways more deeply than in humans. Logic offers a serenity humans seldom experience, a control of feelings so that they do not control you.”
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by Vagrant
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beer uses yeast. However, the yeast die in the process of fermenting the beer due to alcohol poisoning and other treatments from the brewer (or simply lack of food due to using up all available sugars).

In other words, no.

Same goes for pretty much all alcohols -- the end result is sterile by far. You could clean an entire house with vodka. Or urine, if you felt so inclined.

That's what I would have thought too, but I'm reading(from unreliable sources) that micro-brews actually are a good source of probiotics. Also, there is a type of fermented tea(approx .5% alcohol by volume) called
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
that is supposed to have tons of the little critters in it.

Originally Posted by altoid
I've seen people attempt to add similar probiotic bacteria to beer as those found in yogurt, but I've not seen any that were able to maintain viability of those bacteria. You'd probably be better off just washing down your beer with a yogurt.

Beer and yogurt? You should be a chef!

Syntax is online
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
altoid
Core Member [104%]

Some kefir and Ginger beers are supposed to be good sources as well, but they have much less alcohol than your standard beer. Kombucha too, but I don't really like the taste.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!

Originally Posted by Syntax
That's what I would have thought too, but I'm reading(from unreliable sources) that micro-brews actually are a good source of probiotics. Also, there is a type of fermented tea(approx .5% alcohol by volume) called

If they do, then they are probably sweeter and have less alcohol. They probably also have an expiration date.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Daj
New Member [01%]
MBTI: infp

Unpasteurized and unfiltered beers have yeast in them.

If you wanted to test a beer for its probiotic contents than a Barley Wine would probably be your best candidate. Vagrant is right in that they will be sweeter (hops don't last long), however, they have a lot more alcohol, generally in the 9-14 percent range. It is a beer that is cellar fermented for a few years after being bought and takes on wine like qualities and gathers complexity.

Barleywines also tend to be more expensive so if the probiotics do work, you are better off sticking to your yogurt or pill supplements.

Bigfoot Barley Wine from Sierra Nevada is one of my favorites:

Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
MalachiConstant
New Member [01%]

Beer is a good source of tastiness and alcohol and that's enough for me. I'll ensure proper gut flora otherwise.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
snater
New Member [01%]

MBTI: XNTJ

Yeast do provided vitamins and minerals. However, bacteria tend to leave, at best, a sour flavor and, at worst, create something undrinkable. Regardless, most commercial brews are filtered or pasteurized anyways, eliminating almost all microbial activity.

At one point stouts were advertised as good sources of nutrition for pregnant women and invalids.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
cheerbear
Member [47%]
Onions have layers...cakes do, too! ^_^
MBTI: ENFP

Originally Posted by Syntax

Originally Posted by Vagrant
If they do, then they are probably sweeter and have less alcohol. They probably also have an expiration date.

I love Kombucha! It's actually not sweet at all; it has a somewhat vinegar-y smell and if you can get over that (hold your nose while drinking or something), the taste is really strong, and mostly tart and sour. Imagine putting ten lemons with a half spoonful of sugar into club soda and I'd think it was pretty similar.

And I believe it has tons of "critters" in it; in fact, you can actually see tons of little "hops" or whatever they are, floating around. I have a really weakened digestive system from my travels and will get this drink sporadically because I feel like it helps not only digestion but gives me a little boost of energy; I feel healthier overall.

As for the alcohol content, I can attest to this as well. My friend and I were drinking this on the beach once and whether it was the sun or we're just lightweights, we definitely felt a little "tipsy", heh. Ok, so I guess think of those same ten lemons/sugar/club soda and wine cooler

Tags
nutrition