If you don't have haters, you're doing something wrong. None
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
rahdam
Core Member [219%]
I squat everytime I go to the gym.
MBTI: INTJ

"If you don't have haters, you're doing something wrong."

I'm curious what the denziens of the forum think about this.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
ArtistTyrant
Banned

MBTI: INFJ

i agree with it, to a degree

if you aren't taking risks, you aren't living

and if you have strongly affirmed values, there will be someone who hates you for it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
propionaldehyde
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTj

Well, if you don't have any haters, you have done absolutely nothing wrong. You've defended your own opinions so perfectly well, that even the opposing side can't say no...or they simply can't hate you. And because we all know no one is "perfect" enough to do such a thing, it's impossible to have no haters.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Aronnax
Core Member [105%]

Crabs in a bucket has always been a great analogy.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
WoodElf4U
Member [07%]
"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." 
— Albert Einstein
MBTI: INxP

People with extreme opinions and/or statements can collect haters. If they are looking for fame or infamy, then they actually want haters, to call more attention to themselves. But if they just want to be themselves, there is no need for having haters.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Olympics2010
Member [06%]

I would not say that I agree with this.

But firstly, to adress this, I think that it would need to be defined what we mean by "wrong".

Secondly, I do not think that it is wrong at all to do something that no one hates. However - to what extent is this possible, to do something that no one hates? My alternate 'proverb' is that one should not worry about drawing boundaries in this day and age, and whether, or not, people will react adversely to it, because ANYTIME any one draws a boundary (like a line in the sand, or like when I say that I do not like tea), SOMEONE somewhere is going to have something to say about it, and something not likeable. So. To what extent I can say that I am doing something either wrong, or right, by doing something someone hates, such as 'drawing a boundary', is questionable, since it is impossible for me to do something that no one hates, because it is impossible for me to not draw some boundary for myself.

Ideally, I could say that if I remain completely neutral, or do something that would please anyone, such as gift giving, or giving hugs for free, then it would be doing something right, which would disprove the initial idea, namely, that one needs to be doing something that someone hates, in order for that action to be right. But, THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE, because, in reality, even when I do something neutral, like say nothing to anyone, or give free hugs, then someone is STILL going to be upset. So, whatever the road, someone will always hate what we do, no matter what it is, realistically.

So, does it really make sense to say that it is right to do something someone will hate, even though it is very true that anything that we do will be hated at some point? If so, then this means that we're always doing the right thing, which, strangely, sheds more questioning upon the initial statement, than affirming proof, etc. Do we really want what is right to be determined in light of something that is always the same? Perhaps this claim beggs the question somehow about what is morally right, or wrong, and, so then, perhaps it would be better to answer the moral question first (as I mentioned at the start), as it seems more fundamental, and as I suppose that things that are more fundamental should be answered first, before we can say whether or not something that others may hate is right, or wrong.

Of course, it is also possible that the initial quote is false, which would mean that we are always doing something wrong when we do something that is hated at least in one instance by someone else. This again, poses important questions. No matter what we do, someone will hate it. So, how does it make sense to attribute some moral nuance to this fact?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
zibber
Core Member [513%]

Isn't that just what douchebags say?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
SelfMadeBum
Core Member [531%]
What's that, Smacky?

There are a variety of reasons people "hate" other people. Jealousy, or envious feelings, is just one, which I think is the type this particular statement refers to. To be envied has nothing to do with the actor's actions/attitude/behaviour, and everything to do with the onlooker's. So the implication of the statement is if no one is envious of anything you are/have, then you're not trying hard enough at life. It also pokes fun at the haters, those who are envious of you, and lets them know that their envy is a desirable outcome that is being used as a gauge of your own level of achievement.

Personally, though, I wouldn't measure my success along the lines of how much ill will I attract. Though to see irrational hate from people I don't/barely know makes me chuckle.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Nikita
Core Member [555%]
MBTI: INTP

I disagree. It isn't necessary to engender spite and hatred in the quest for experience, risk-taking, and passionate debate. It does, however, come naturally to some of us.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Distance
Core Member [717%]
Ennui
MBTI: eNTj

IMO, the quote means you're not living life to its fullest potential including being passionate about what you believe in since strong emotions and beliefs, elicit strong emotions to counter.

Perhaps there's a way to mitigate some of the hatred by taking the stance of differing opinions instead of the stance of "rightness/wrongness" and validation of other persons' opinions and rational arguments without agreement.

Too often you see ad hominem insults and attacks when opposing opinions clash. And yes, I'm guilty too.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
HAL 9000
Member [36%]

It really depends on who you are and who the crowd is.

If you collect haters for the sake of collecting haters, then you are simply an idiot.

But if you hold to a certain belief and fight for it, there will be people who hate you for that reason alone. No matter how genial a person you are, there will always be a contingency of people who equate the validity of your opinion with your worth as a human being.

On balance I think I agree with the statement. No enemies means no ideals. Who would like to live like that?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Philanthropist
Member [34%]
MBTI: ENTJ

So if 99% of people really hate me does that mean I'm doing something really right?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Kmal
Veteran Member [60%]

yeah, i agree with that, but more because you can't not have haters. it's just gonna happen, no one's perfect. as someone said above, there is no reason to want them, but they will come. if you want haters, like the statement seems to imply, then you're probably an asshole.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
admittedheretic
Veteran Member [87%]
MBTI: INFP

I agree and I hate those who don't agree with it. Bunch of conceited liars.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Kmal
Veteran Member [60%]

Originally Posted by admittedheretic
I agree and I hate those who don't agree with it. Bunch of conceited liars.

and those that disagreed will say "eh, oh well, haters gonna hate"

so what's your point?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Tahiti
Core Member [124%]
MBTI: xxxx

What goes up must come down.

Anyway, apart from bending the OP's meaning into a useless post...

...Here is a supporting relation:

‘Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.’

Here's a plethora of quotes:

Just don't abuse the word 'genius' when relating, only I can do that
Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
Distance
Core Member [717%]
Ennui

Originally Posted by admittedheretic

Okay, I'm now firmly in the camp of haters with these two pics. >:-(

Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
Tahiti
Core Member [124%]

Originally Posted by Distance
Okay, I'm now firmly in the camp of haters with these two pics. >:-(

Oh yea? Well I hate this thread!

It lacks precision and moderation in accordance to the amazing rules.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #19
Distance
Core Member [717%]
Ennui

Originally Posted by GeniusPr0
Oh yea? Well I hate this thread!

It lacks precision and moderation in accordance to the amazing rules.

We're all abiding by Fah Rules so it's all good!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
Tahiti
Core Member [124%]

Originally Posted by Distance
We're all abiding by Fah Rules so it's all good!

*Hacks the forum* What rules? *whistles* (joking)

Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #21
Marcus Septim
Banned

MBTI: ESTJ

well the measure of greatness of a person is measured by the importance of his enemies
Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #22
Koshkot
Member [02%]

So if you hate yourself, then you are doing something right? Right?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
kyle D
Member [04%]

If you have no haters then that probably means that you let everyone walk on you. You should not let people walk on you.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
Deliberator
Core Member [122%]

I don't know, some people just aren't hateable and they aren't doing anything "wrong" ... they may be the kind and simple hardware store clerk that everyone likes, or that sweet girl trying to raise money for cancer research. Not everyone is cut out to go against the grain.

Indeed though, I'd say it's hard not to go through life without sometimes encountering someone who hates you (or what you stand for). No one need go out of their way to avoid or provoke hating.