The Oedipus Complex & Homosexuality sexuality
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
TheBlackKnight
Member [06%]
I'm invincible, a loony, and quite the valuable chess piece. I became my show's ensemble dark horse.
MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by Britannica Concise Encyclopedia
Oedipus complex

In psychoanalytic theory, a desire for sexual involvement with the parent of the opposite sex and a sense of rivalry with the parent of the same sex. The term was introduced by Sigmund Freud in his Interpretation of Dreams (1899) and is derived from the mythological Oedipus, who killed his father and married his mother; its female analogue is the Electra complex. Considered a normal stage in the development of children ages three to five, it ends when the child identifies with the parent of the same sex and represses its sexual instincts. Freud believed that the process of overcoming the Oedipus complex gave rise to the superego.

Definition taken from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This theory seems to assume that heterosexuality is universal. How would it square with a child that grows up gay/lesbian? Would a gay/lesbian child simply reverse the process, and be attracted to the same-sex parent and be hostile toward the opposite-sex one?

What about a bisexual child? Where do asexuals (someone who does not experience sexual desire at all) fit in?

Is sexuality developed enough at 3-5 to draw any conclusions?

Old 04-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
psuedoluminary
Member [02%]

I would assume that Freud would consider that something in childhood has gone awry so that the child developed the psychopathology of homosexuality. I believe he thought that everyone was born bi-sexual- although, it might be better for someone who is acquainted with his essays on sexuality to explain this. I do feel that Freud did answer this question though.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
plotthickens
Core Member [853%]
Don't stick beans up your nose.

If F's theory were true, there would be no
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. At all. Oops.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
reckful
Core Member [611%]

After we get done talking about the Oedipus complex, let's move on to discuss the tooth fairy.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
admittedheretic
Veteran Member [86%]
MBTI: INFP

Originally Posted by plotthickens
If F's theory were true, there would be no
. At all. Oops.

Your assumption is wrong. Freud didn't believe it wasn't biological. Anyone who would argue there is no biology behind sexuality is surely no scientist.

admittedheretic is online
Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
plotthickens
Core Member [853%]

Originally Posted by admittedheretic
Your assumption is wrong. Freud didn't believe it wasn't biological. Anyone who would argue there is no biology behind sexuality is surely no scientist.

Freud believed that the process of overcoming the Oedipus complex gave rise to the superego.

If F's theory of superego & sexuality rising from psychological basis alone was true, there would be no
. At all. Oops.

Bolded words added for your benefit. Better now?

Old 04-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Trevor Black
Member [15%]

I can think of at least one example in which that hypothesis does not apply. Mine.

I couldn't care less about my parents. I fuck because it's awesome. Male, female, doesn't matter, rocks either way. My parents have nothing to do with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Feral
Veteran Member [64%]

Freud is cool and all, but he also thought a 5 year old's fear of being bitten by a horse was oedipal in nature, because prior to this phobia had been expressing interest in body parts and the difference between men and women.

And that is when I stopped giving a damn what Frued thought, and pretty much read him for inspiration or entertainment when the mood strikes.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
admittedheretic
Veteran Member [86%]
MBTI: INFP

Originally Posted by plotthickens
Bolded words added for your benefit. Better now?

For my benefit?
You don't take being corrected when your wrong very well do you?

If F's theory of superego & sexuality rising from psychological basis alone was true,

That wouldn't be Freud's theory. That is your misinterpretation of Freud's theories. Freud actually went against the grain during his respective time by suggesting that our behaviors where more rooted in biology than previously believed.

there would be no
. At all. Oops.

Freud also believe there was a biological basis to the ego, superego, and id.

What your saying is pyschoblabble no matter how you want to spin it.

admittedheretic is online
Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
mormeguil
Member [32%]
MBTI: Intj

Well, the whole Freudien theory start to make SOME sense when you stop trying to fit everything into sexual reason. Most of the people following it have been doing this and if you simpy change the sexual desire to have is mother to a desire to posses is mother all for himself then it does seems to fit better.

In any case, pure Freudien psychology as pretty much been discredited but the overall concept is of course a lot harder to discontinue due to the subconscious.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Merle
Veteran Member [57%]
nostalgia for infinity
MBTI: INTP

Freud didn't believe that homosexuality was a deviation from the norm. The Oedipus complex expresses itself in different ways in different individuals; a person could worship the father and want to take the mother's place - that can be translated into either wanting to take on extra-feminine behaviours, and becoming uber-mother... or wanting to destroy and eliminate her. Or a person can worship the father so much that they want to take HIS place, which means eliminating him, and becoming extra-masculine etc etc

The Oedipus complex doesn't dis-allow homosexuality - it isn't about either hetero or homosexuality, or even really any sexuality at all.

And yes psuedoluminary, I think you're right that he believed everyone to be bisexual to greater or lesser degrees.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
plotthickens
Core Member [853%]

Originally Posted by admittedheretic
For my benefit?
You don't take being corrected when your wrong very well do you?

That wouldn't be Freud's theory. That is your misinterpretation of Freud's theories. Freud actually went against the grain during his respective time by suggesting that our behaviors where more rooted in biology than previously believed.

Freud also believe there was a biological basis to the ego, superego, and id.

What your saying is pyschoblabble no matter how you want to spin it.

Ad-homs, fingerpointing, and lauding Freud for being a rebel do not explain his theories nor overturn my counterargument.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Akzis
Member [36%]
copious amounts of crazy
MBTI: INTP

I wonder how one child would evolve distinctly in the absence of a mother or a father.

Would this Oedipus (or Electra) complex cease to be?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
tooboku
Member [36%]

I dunno... both my lesbian roommies seem to have good relationships with their dads.

One doesn't always see eye to eye with her Mom and the other lives with hers on the weekends.

Tags
sexuality