Military Boot Camp for introverts None
Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
oldspice
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTJ

In July I'll be leaving for Navy boot camp and i was wondering how other introverts got through boot camp since we all know there is no alone time in boot camp and we introverts need it.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Miryr
Member [18%]

Why are you going to boot camp?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
oldspice
Member [03%]

because i joined the Navy back in august
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
True Rune
Core Member [208%]
Dying is as pointless as living.

Really, there is no alone time? It's not like it's constant socializing, is it? It's mainly getting yelled at. I think maybe the best thing to do is be distracted by your thoughts when your attention isn't necessary.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
oldspice
Member [03%]

I'm not 100% sure but what info i got from my recruiter and both my parents (they were both in the navy too) you eat with each other you shower together and since i know that you get some "you" time its not really alone time since your always going to be surround by like 50 other guys
Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Mogura
Core Member [182%]
I am not the droid you're looking for...
MBTI: INFJ

I think you're probably going to have to go to that little place inside your head to get that alone time. On a positive note, boot camp doesn't last forever. You'll probably be so exhausted than any personal time is nap time...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
oldspice
Member [03%]

boot camp seems like hell on earth for INFJ's
Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Cygnus
Veteran Member [83%]

I got through basic fine. Blending in helps a lot..plus a true introvert can be in a crowd and still be alone..even lonely, but THAT is another topic. And yes...the latrine is public, you do have stalls to take a shit in private, but the showers are open. Your alone time can come at night..there will be times you have to stay up for a few hours to do detail duty or even keep watch.
Cygnus is online
Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
oldspice
Member [03%]

ill probably be the only one who hopes to get watch duty then
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
Toolmaker
New Member [01%]

Wait till guard duty. And if your good, you can swap other peoples guard duty for $. Especially on the holidays and weekends.

Just dont get sucked into a jet engine.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Pachystima
Member [06%]

Originally Posted by Cygnus
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I got through basic fine. Blending in helps a lot..plus a true introvert can be in a crowd and still be alone..even lonely, but THAT is another topic. And yes...the latrine is public, you do have stalls to take a shit in private, but the showers are open. Your alone time can come at night..there will be times you have to stay up for a few hours to do detail duty or even keep watch.

My general experience as well. In my day (50 years ago) there were no stalls for the toilets but otherwise probably the same. Just keep in mind that introversion is a preference, you don't need to spend a lot of time alone, you just prefer to. The few INTJ's I have known did just fine in the military.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #12
gunner
New Member [01%]

I did 8 years in the Navy. Best thing to do in bootcamp is blend in. Don't be too good and don't be a screw up. Blend in and get through it. Once it's over and you head off to "A" school you'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Silence
Member [35%]

You're going to do fine. Pay no attention to people that only have the media/movies to go on. Keep in mind that you can endure anything when you know the reward is worth it- and it is. You know how to go into your own mind, and you will do this a lot in Basic Training. What many people won't tell you is that in basic training, there are many times of extreme boredom. If you're a quick study there will be a lot of time that you're left to your own devices. My suggestion is to speak with people that have recently gone through naval boot camp, and see if you're allowed a notebook or something. I went through USAF boot camp, and they don't allow you access to much aside from the single study book. Had I known that ahead of time, I would have brought a notebook to write in. (If you are allowed, don't write things of a personal nature, as your possessions are subject to scrutiny at any time.) Believe me, the doors that will open for you in the future are well worth the minor inconveniences of a few hectic weeks.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
taciturn
Member [06%]
Tell me what you love and I'll tell you who you are.
MBTI: INTP

First of all, let me congratulate you. Congratulations. [=

Fortunately for you, verbal responses to your superiors will consist of three word sir sandwiches. (Sir yes sir. Sir no sir.) Verbosity will not be tolerated; I expect this will work in your favor.
Yes, you'll always be in the midst of other people, but you wont be directly interacting with them, and they won't be allowed to bother you. From what I can see, this isn't going to be so bad. The more you focus on your task, the better you'll do, and I can't imagine focusing on the goal ahead and the method of getting there being UN-pleasant.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Mader
Member [37%]

Blend in is a good suggestion.

Zoning out or going into your own little world is a good suggestion.

And remember, a big part of boot camp is to teach you to obey commands. They want you to obey commands right away, not analyze them as you probably do. This is to keep you and your fellows alive, not to destroy your spirit as the TV would have you think.

If someone cannot handle the 'stress' of bootcamp, we would rather learn that in basic training rather than during a battle. If a person is crazy, it is good to know that early, too.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Night Runner
Core Member [148%]
Too weird to live, too rare to die...

On the off chance you haven't already read it, here's a good article on
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
Hamsta
Member [10%]

Boot camp was definitely the hardest part of my mandatory military service.
My fat ass and high arches did not like the idea of having to run everywhere.
Having to undress in front of others guys, for the shower or when waking up was also a hard pill to swallow, but there are certain tricks that make it easier. (facing the wall, undressing in the shower stall, etc.)

Guarding got real old real fast, 3 hours with nothing to do but trying to stay alert.
Hanging around with your friends was a lot more pleasant, and you will make friends quicker than you think. There's nothing like hardship to draw people together.

Off course, experiences may vary.

Don't forget to bring flip-flops.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Lonpone
Member [04%]
MBTI: ISTJ

Originally Posted by Hamsta
Don't forget to bring flip-flops.

God yes. Nothing like a foot full blisters covered with peeling fungus to ruin your already horrible day.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
Fenrir
Member [02%]
Baroque and Roll

Originally Posted by gunner
Best thing to do in bootcamp is blend in. Don't be too good and don't be a screw up. Blend in and get through it. Once it's over and you head off to "A" school you'll be fine.

Currently doing mandatory service, in boot, doing very well will mean you getting shortlisted for leadership training schools. Sure, your lie might suck a little more here and there, but if you're gunning for top honours, don't blend in, ACE IT.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
El Cas
Veteran Member [65%]
It's better to die on your feet then live a lifetime on your knees - Emiliano Zapata
MBTI: InTj

As other have said, blending in is your best option. When I went through boot camp (AF version) I made a lot of me time by volunteering to do dorm gaurd at night and constantly working on my uniform and personal area. Yeah you are surrounded by 50 people but if you focus on what you need to do and proactively find things to do that required no group interaction you should be able to have enough "Me" time to compensate for all of the group activities.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Haildancer
Member [08%]

Army basic combat training ("boot camp") was a breeze for me. I throughly enjoyed it. The trick is to turn on your bullshit filter (which never shuts off for an INTJ) and realize that none of your instructors actually hate you...they are simply molding and training you to be what the military wants. It's not likely the even remember your name at the end of the day.

Leave all mind-clutter at the gate. Focus on what you are doing there and completing your assigned tasks. Don't allow barracks drama to infiltrate into your mind or corrupt your focus. Be invisible. Don't "try" to hide (the instructors will see it), but don't try to be better than anyone else. Don't always answer questions, but don't avoid answering them either. If you never talk, you'll be singled out. If you talk too much, you'll be singled out. Somewhere in the middle will put you out of sight, out of mind.

Lastly, enjoy the experience. It's interesting and fun. Try not to get too wrapped around the axle about being tired, grubby, miserable, homesick...that's how everyone feels.

Welcome to the military!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
peter
Member [39%]

MBTI: xxxx

Originally Posted by oldspice
i was wondering how other introverts got through boot camp since we all know there is no alone time in boot camp and we introverts need it.

With severe fucking difficulty -- that being the number one reason.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
valkyrie88
New Member [01%]

I am in the navy and have been through the boot camp, Its not really that bad your not aloud to talk most of the time so it relatively quiet most of the time. Just a lot of early mornings, and bad food. Oh and don't shave before you go to the gas chamber!