Do slow people annoy you? None
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
smashy
Member [17%]
MBTI: INTJ

Do slow people really annoy you? Or people that take ages to do something they can do in 5 minutes?

I don't understand these type of people and I just find them kinda losers. For example, I have this friend that is looking for a good career opportunity and I also had someone from my professional networking contacts telling me that he is starting a project and needs someone good to work with him. The project has my friend's name all over it, I talked with her and she was interested and asked me to send her an email with all the information. I sent her the email 3 weeks ago on the same day we had this conversation, and 3 weeks after she didn't even read it! The guy keeps asking me for feedback from her and I'm about to tell him to move on. I can't understand how she takes sooooo long to open a fuc**** email and see if she's interested in talking to him or not! She might even be missing a great opportunity here.

People like her exist everywhere, I have another friend that works at X and I needed to know something from their services so I asked her and she told me she would get the info for me by Monday. This Monday was 2 weeks ago and still nothing... eventually I called the company and already have the info I need. I just don't get these people. And I even get it less when they say they're very busy. We're ALL very busy people! Not only you!

I think they're just mediocre and will never get good opportunities because they're just lazy.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Warrior
Core Member [387%]

If I am depending on what they are doing and it looks ike it isn't going to get done, yes, that will start to bother me. However, if it is there own thing, I don't let it get to me. I might offer advice on how to do it faster, if I think the advice is wanted, but otherwise, I tend to keep my mouth shut.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Corleone
Core Member [167%]
Rap is nothing you can put in a movie with a bunch of turtles!
MBTI: INxJ

Slow people only annoy me when they're in front of me in a queue or on the road, because then they're directly affecting the pace at which I can do stuff, and that's the only time I'll give a damn about them. Slow people described in the two above posts don't really annoy me because they don't affect me. They can do as they wish.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
kepstein8888
Member [10%]

Originally Posted by smashy
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just don't get these people. And I even get it less when they say they're very busy. We're ALL very busy people!

"Busy" is a load of crap 99% of the time. If their hair was on fire or they won the lottery, they'd find 5 minutes to deal with it.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Jug
New Member [01%]
MBTI: iNTj

Not so much, unless their actions directly affect me in some way.
People who put minimal effort into everything they do have always frustrated me.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
Mader
Member [37%]

Yes, oh yes.

But I have learned to slow myself down to deal with them. I have to concentrate to slow down my breathing, walk slower, make more eye contact, and then it is less painful. Think quality, not quantity.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
t3hrubikscube
Member [18%]
MBTI: IxTJ

Yes, usually. I'm not a very patient person, so I get irritated when someone is completing a task and taking a long time. "A long time" to me is any time longer than I could do it because that is what I am used to. I don't like things that don't follow a certain structure, plan, etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
pip
Veteran Member [73%]
Does this look like a fucking choice to you?
MBTI: INTj

I'm a hypocrite.

When people clog things up with thier glacial indesicion, I find it damages my calm somewhat.
However, when someone tries to hurry me along I slow down even further and 'play' with them. *

Maybe this is hypocrisy, maybe it's just being a git. Who can tell?

* Driving is by FAR the worst for this.
Tailgate me would you sweetie? Can you tell me if I left my gloves in the boot please? Sorry old boy, you're not getting round me unless you go on the other side of the island. Oh, you've gone! Did that nice policeman over the road see you do that? Look at that, he did.... Unlucky old bean!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*hides in shame*

Old 01-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Miryr
Member [18%]

Yes, I hate that sort of people.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Hydro
Member [43%]

Actually I have learned to enjoy watching those people thinking. It can be real fun when you see from the outside every little step of internal processing and finally you can learn from it. The next time you have to deal with someone of this kind you can decide upfront which way of approaching this person will have the greatest chance of suggest and which will be the fastest way to come to satisfying results.

A good friend and colleague of mine uses to say: If you can't change it, try to enjoy it!

Before I started to enjoy it I frequently have freaked out.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Thinktress
Veteran Member [53%]
Give someone enough rope and they'll either make a ladder or a noose.

The only time it annoys me is when people take a long time to grasp concepts. It makes meetings and training twice as long. In order to stay patient I have to keep in my mind that I am "slower" or less well functioning than the majority in other areas.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
MrDoom
Member [18%]

Not really. I'm actually pretty clumsy and pokey myself when performing household tasks or physical work.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
XFire35
Member [24%]
MBTI: INFJ

I cannot stand for the life of me slow walkers. Why on earth people trundle along willingly and taunt me for getting to places in a sharpish manner is beyond me. Walking fast is more energy efficient as you use your momentum to carry you, and you get to places quicker.

Slow people when they do stuff bugs me too. I have a friend who can spend 5 minutes putting on shoes, who will stop and daydream mid tasks to contemplate something.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
MyOtherSelf
Member [05%]

I agree with xfire, it's slow walkers that drive me insane. If there's no way for me to get around them, I start to lose my mind.

Slow people used to annoy me but I've realized there's not much I can do. Ie, a slow cashier who I have to wait for to do a task before I can leave. I used to get frustrated and now I realize it doesn't really matter all that much. My philosophy is to do everything in the least possible time....but being obsessed with efficiency in everything else around you, including the things you can't control, is in itself an inefficient goal.

Just go with it and when you can, break free from the slowpokes and move at the speed of light!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
BlackMita
Member [24%]
MBTI: xxxx

Speed is irrelevant. People generally procrastinate things that don't matter to them, even if they pay lip service to stating otherwise.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #16
Defenestratoris
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTP

Nope, not really. In fact, fast people demanding unreasonable punctuality annoy me a whole lot more. Their thought processes are probably quite mediocre, with underdeveloped Ti and Ne, making them poorly capable of multi-tasking - procrastination in one field being an opportunity to perform in a different one - and heavily reliant on decisions made by others.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
Necrosis
Core Member [103%]
Insert words here.

Sometimes.... depends what are we talking about... slow walking people annoy the crap out of me. Get out of my way while I'm walking past you please. In school, not really unless they are asking a ton of stupid questions in which I get irritated by their ignorance. I don't mind assisting "slow" people though.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #18
Pachystima
Member [06%]

I am not a patient person by nature and I can let myself be irritated by slow people; especially if it appears to be deliberate and rude. But, over the years I have learned to control my impatience: partly because it is not a useful emotion but mostly because it places control of how I feel in another person's hands.

So, whenever I am being delayed by someone's slowness, I try (with fair success) to just figuratively sit back and tell myself that there is really no hurry. If I am driving behind a slowpoke I just wait for a safe place to pass and think kind thoughts while doing so. If I am behind a supermarket road hog I just politely ask if I might get by. If I am waiting for service at, say, the Post Office and am enduring a social conversation between the clerk and the customer ahead, I just suck it up.

The Golden Rule is a good guideline in situations like this. I find that it helps if I do not assign evil motives to the slow person and try to assume that they are not really thinking of their surroundings. There is also the faint possibility that on occasion I am the slow party and am the beneficiary of someone else's patience.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Ariel
New Member [01%]

My sisters are like this. I can't understand why they don't just speed up a little. When it comes to school, my youngest sister would rather take her time and be late than rush and be punctual.

It drives me nuts.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
Antares
Core Member [225%]

Only if you waste 80 minutes to go over what could be done in 10. And waste my life because of that. Of course, this explains why I respect my math teacher so much.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
thiagofralves
Member [10%]

They are very frustrating that's for sure. Especially when they're on my way. If I can I will literally run over them. If I cannot, well, that's very bad, 'cause I'll get very impatient. I won't do any bad thing, but I will be very, very upset about it.

It's funny because my friends think I'm a very patient person, but this definitely is not for me.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
XMark
New Member [01%]

I consistently find myself very annoyed and wondering what the person in front of me in a line could possibly be doing that could take as much time as it is. Especially when I'm like, at a corner store or something. What is holding these slow people up? It's not like they're opening an account at a bank or something.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #23
Geminii
Member [14%]
MBTI: INTX

If it's affecting me personally, sure. On one project I initiated, I ended up being the 'technical consultant' because the other people assigned to it were several levels higher in the organisation than I was. On the first day, I showed them how to wrap up the entire project in one day - three if we included writeups, meetings, and a post-project party. I figured it would be a nice little send-off as I was leaving the company in six weeks' time, and this would save them about ten million dollars in costs. A good note to go out on.

Six weeks later, one of the managers had progressed to the point where he was beginning to formulate an approach to addressing about 1% of the project, and wanted to put it out for discussion before proceeding. The other manager hadn't budged. Possibly she had died in her seat a month and a half previously and no-one had noticed.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #24
Dolce
New Member [01%]

Oh yes....... to the max
People who both talk and walk slow.

Sorry, I live in one of the biggest cities.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #25
TheBlondest
New Member [01%]
"It is vain for the coward to flee; death follows close behind; it is only by defying it that the brave escape." - Voltaire
MBTI: INxJ

I have an ISFP friend who takes upwards of 30 minutes to grasp abstract concepts. I find myself growing impatient, I can feel the sparks turning into smoke, then fire... but she seems completely unaware of this, even people at the next table ARE.

This is the point where I begin to gently rub my temples and think of simple terms and lay out a step-by-step sort of thought process for her, making slicing motions with my hands as if I'm cutting concepts in half on the table.

Slow walkers piss me off, too. And I also get weird looks for walking so, efficiently quickly. And I do it in heels, too. They're just jealous. In the time it takes me to speedily click-clack from my dorm to class, I have organized my day, compartmentalized my emotions and written a 3 act surrealism play all in my head. Ya boi.