PeerBlock ~ Holy Crap! None
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Causa Mortis
Core Member [159%]
Macro...MACRO!
MBTI: INTJ

So I fired up PeerBlock the other day while I was sharing a video (that was not copyrighted and was free to share to the public), and holy crap! There were about a dozen government agencies that it blocked.

Am I on some watch list or something? Or is someone at DoD and DoJ interested in sanskrit? Or do these crazy people monitor everyone like this? Or is peerblock grabbing too much?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
LaoTzu
Core Member [118%]

Are they all part of the default list?
Or does the program show you who is currently tethered to your connection?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Frag
Member [13%]

Originally Posted by LaoTzu
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Are they all part of the default list?
Or does the program show you who is currently tethered to your connection?

In a way, both.

These apps use a list of IP blocks owned by various orgs and drop any connections between those addresses and your computer, thus... er... doing nothing useful.

More than likely, these are just random people who happen to be using a machine they shouldn't to download things.

Just connecting to your torrent client to leech stuff doesn't let the gubberment tap into your brain.

Paranoid folk swear by it anyway though.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Causa Mortis
Core Member [159%]
Macro...MACRO!

Originally Posted by Frag
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In a way, both.

These apps use a list of IP blocks owned by various orgs and drop any connections between those addresses and your computer, thus... er... doing nothing useful.

More than likely, these are just random people who happen to be using a machine they shouldn't to download things.

DoD is in all of my torrents ~ even a tiny one with only 30 peers. I've tried a half a dozen and they're in all of them. I know they can't see much, but that's some Orwellian shit.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Aronnax
Core Member [105%]

Originally Posted by Causa Mortis
DoD is in all of my torrents ~ even a tiny one with only 30 peers. I've tried a half a dozen and they're in all of them. I know they can't see much, but that's some Orwellian shit.

I've encountered this as well.

*dons tinfoil hat*

Torrents would be a good way to hide and distribute instructions or information. Mix part of the data you want to send in with a normal file and let the hordes of file shares move it around for you. The sender and intended receiver could hide in plain sight among the crowds. Government intelligence agencies are looking for possible messages in the swarm, I doubt they're particularly interested in doing the dirty work for the MPAA or RIAA.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
Architectonic
Member [08%]
MBTI: xxxx

99% of those are false negatives..
Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Frag
Member [13%]

Originally Posted by Aronnax
Torrents would be a good way to hide and distribute instructions or information. Mix part of the data you want to send in with a normal file and let the hordes of file shares move it around for you. The sender and intended receiver could hide in plain sight among the crowds. Government intelligence agencies are looking for possible messages in the swarm, I doubt they're particularly interested in doing the dirty work for the MPAA or RIAA.

They would have to be creating these torrents themselves though, which I think is unlikely.

Otherwise clients will check the hashes of the modified data and reject it.

-- unless they happen to have identical hashes (collision), and even if they can practically find collisions at will, I'm doubtful of how possible it is to bury any chosen message inside.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Aronnax
Core Member [105%]

Originally Posted by Frag
They would have to be creating these torrents themselves though, which I think is unlikely.

Otherwise clients will check the hashes of the modified data and reject it.

-- unless they happen to have identical hashes (collision), and even if they can practically find collisions at will, I'm doubtful of how possible it is to bury any chosen message inside.

All torrents start with a single seed, I don't see why it'd be difficult to create the initial torrent. As long as the media worked the majority would be happy to keep passing the information around.

Architectonic is probably right though, there are a lot of false positives.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
MrFlaneur
Veteran Member [63%]
Mein Führer! I can walk!
MBTI: INTj

I downloaded this software today after reading this post.

Its surprising how many "schools/colleges" are out there. I can think of more interesting topics than my ip address.

Terrifying.
MrFlaneur is online
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Locke03
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTx

I would be willing to be that the majority of the DoD and School/College hits are nothing more that people who happen to be using those networks (living on base on in dorms) trying to download stuff just like everyone else. If I were trying to gather intel on something/someone, the last thing I would do is come at them from the network of the organization I worked for.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 AM   #11
Causa Mortis
Core Member [159%]
Macro...MACRO!

I post
thread, in which I say I'd kill Mohammed, Hitler, and Joseph Smith to substantively alter the future.

Almost immediately I get 8 blocks from "State of Utah" trying to access the trojan port.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
ikeaunes
Member [07%]

No they are not all false negatives. The program does work quite well, but it isn't a total block. I downloaded Ava--- at my friend's network at his university (why else would they give them 5MB/s down?!?) and I got shitload of blocks from BayTSP. BayTSP is QUICK. They call with a swiftness with a desist message within a week (google it). It's been nearly 3 and nothing.

Also, I've noted similar blocks on trojan ports when I've said some unruly shit to some unruly mofos on computer forums.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Scatterbrane
Member [12%]

Originally Posted by Causa Mortis
I post
thread, in which I say I'd kill Mohammed, Hitler, and Joseph Smith to substantively alter the future.

Almost immediately I get 8 blocks from "State of Utah" trying to access the trojan port.

Getting a bit paranoid eh?

It's pretty creepy to go through the IP addresses one connects to in what would seem like a normal session of browsing and torrenting though, I'll give you that.