View Poll Results: Is Fox Mulder an INTJ?
Yes - Explain with examples from Series 3 37.50%
No - Explain with examples from Series 3 37.50%
Maybe - Explain with examples from Series 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

INTJ Fictional Personalities - Fox Mulder ... None
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
futureperfect5
Member [06%]
MBTI: INTJ

Just read the "Ultimate List" of probable INTJs ...

I didn't see Fox Mulder from the X-Files.
Should he be on the list?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
acyckowski
Member [39%]

Hell, no. He's an Idealist.

Scully, on the other hand....
Old 03-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
futureperfect5
Member [06%]

Originally Posted by acyckowski
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hell, no. He's an Idealist.

Scully, on the other hand....

Well, in the movie there is a scene outside the hearing where Mulder is waiting for his turn in the hallway. [Outside the principal's office, as it were ...]

Skinner comes out and starts to talk to him (he is eating his seeds) and finally Skinner says, "Agent Mulder, do you know what is going on here?" Mulder is surprised to find out that the hearing is to blame him and Scully for being unable to stop the building from exploding.

In fact, Skinner says that the Committee wanted to know the reason that Scully was in the wrong (or, right depending on how you look at it) building. Mulder says,
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"She was with me."

1. He is not deferent to authority.
  2. He is definitely an introvert.
  3. Socializing? Not ...
You can see the NT in the way he solves his cases.
  • Single-minded purpose
  • Extremely reserved
The scene just before Scully gets stung by the tainted bee.
She walks away and he stands there and then follows her into the hallway ...

Are you sure?

I cannot see Scully as an INTJ ... maybe INTP.

[By the way, I have never seen Seasons 1-3 completely.]
Old 03-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Ace1337
Member [10%]
MBTI: ENTJ

Fox Mulder is an INFP, my friend is an INFP and he identified with Mulder in a lot of things.
Here's the link that confirms it:
(under fictional INFPs)
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
futureperfect5
Member [06%]

Yesterday I did some research (on the web) ...
maybe he is both or switch is certain circumstances.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
zhandao
New Member [01%]

MBTI: IxTx

Originally Posted by Ace1337
Fox Mulder is an INFP, my friend is an INFP and he identified with Mulder in a lot of things.
Here's the link that confirms it:
(under fictional INFPs)

How does what one random website says "confirm" anything?

This is what Lenore Thomson says in her book:

Mulder... initially portrayed - as a classic INTJ obsessive, oblivious to work atmosphere, career status, and the need relationship - everything except his private quest for truth.

As the series has moved from cult status to broad popularity, Mudler's character has been subtly redrawn. He's less like an INJ who sees conceptual possibilities excluded from the FBI's standard categories of knowledge and more like an ISP influenced by tertiary Introverted Intuition, certain that the government is conspiring to hide the presence of aliens from an unsuspecting public.

I haven't watched the show so I don't have a personal opinion, but I read her book over the weekend and remembered this example.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
futureperfect5
Member [06%]

Originally Posted by zhandao

Ditto. When I wrote "research (on the web)" ... I was agreeing with your sentiment.

Honestly, it is observation-based opinion when it comes to fictional characters or people who have never had any testing.

The poll was meant for opinions ...

futureperfect5 added to this post, 6 minutes and 55 seconds later...

Originally Posted by zhandao

Ditto. When I wrote "research (on the web)" ... I was agreeing with your sentiment.

Honestly, it is observation-based opinion when it comes to fictional characters or people who have never had any testing.

The poll was meant for opinions ...

Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 AM   #8
eMachine
Member [03%]
an Extraordinary Machine
MBTI: INxx

As a fairly avid X-Files fan, I (for the most part) agree with the link that was posted... at times tho Mulder does seem to be a bit more emotional than an INTJ, but he doesn't ever let it get in the way really.

From my personal observation I do think it characterizes him pretty well. My husband is an ENTJ and he is... well... very much like Mulder when it comes to interests and the way he researches those interests, weighs evidence, and endeavors toward truth. I could also label my husband as an 'Idealist'...
Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
dissident
Member [09%]
Introverted: 78%
Intuitive: 88%
Thinking: 38%
Judging: 22%
MBTI: INTX

nah, if anything cancer man is the INTJ... I watched an episode just now and he had a little musing which had me laughing...

Life...is like a box of chocolates. A
cheap, thoughless, perfunctoral gift
that no one ever asks for.
Unreturnable because all you get
back is another box of chocolates.
So, you're stuck with mostly
undefinable whipped mint crap,
mindlessly wolfed down when
there's nothing else to eat while
you're watching the game. Sure,
once in a while you get a peanut
butter cup or an English toffee but
it's gone too fast and the taste is
fleeting. In the end, you're left with
nothing but broken bits filled with
hardened jelly and teeth shattering
nuts, which if you are desperate
enough to eat leaves nothing but an
empty box of useless brown paper
wrappers.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
lancelot
Member [42%]

Why Fox Mulder is an INTJ, he is an introvert, a loner, and a man of strong convition.
He is intense and pasionate about his work, he is good at putting together theories, and is not distracted by people who don't share his vision or insights. When push comes to shove, he will fight, and put his life in danger for what he believes it.
Duchovny's sensitivity, and vunerability, which is not always shown, is in my opinion what make him a great actor. Every INTJ is sensitive and vunerable to an extent, without these qualities one would not be highly intelligent. Duchovny's real life seems characteristic of an INTJ: MA. Yale Univeristy, and Phd. work begun at Princeton.

(Typical INTJ behavior)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Solaris
Core Member [178%]
ENTJ, but I operate well on INTJ frequency
MBTI: ENTJ

I think Mulder is an INTJ for most of the reasons already identified (although, I agree that as the series changed, so did his character), and that Scully is probably an ISTJ. She's very perfectionist and detailed, interested in doing her duty/protecting others, and was (at first) highly resistant to Mulder's "zany" ideas.

Mulder could be an INTP, I suppose, but a very single-minded one.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
acyckowski
Member [39%]

INTP. His P blinds him to the possibility that the solution is as mundane and obvious as it appears. When all the facts point to a normal cause, he continues to seek an underlying paranormal explanation. An INTJ would find an answer that works and go back to plotting world domination.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
lancelot
Member [42%]

Originally Posted by dissident
nah, if anything cancer man is the INTJ... I watched an episode just now and he had a little musing which had me laughing...

Life...is like a box of chocolates. A
cheap, thoughless, perfunctoral gift
that no one ever asks for.
Unreturnable because all you get
back is another box of chocolates.
So, you're stuck with mostly
undefinable whipped mint crap,
mindlessly wolfed down when
there's nothing else to eat while
you're watching the game. Sure,
once in a while you get a peanut
butter cup or an English toffee but
it's gone too fast and the taste is
fleeting. In the end, you're left with
nothing but broken bits filled with
hardened jelly and teeth shattering
nuts, which if you are desperate
enough to eat leaves nothing but an
empty box of useless brown paper
wrappers.

It is just a thought, but I think the writers borrowed the quote from Einstein regarding life, and the other quote is from the dumb movie Forrest Gump.

"Each of us shows up univted, against our will and asks why?"--Einstein
The box of chocolates is from the -- FG movie.

However, Cancer man is so funny, he is the quintssential "Insider", he is one of the most interesting characters on the show.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
azelismia
Core Member [166%]
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?
MBTI: INTj

Mulder is a classic INFP. I just got done watching the entire series over the last year and I can't think of a single instance where I thought he was NT. He's guided by feelings almost entirely. He doesn't even make a stab at going for logic.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
lancelot
Member [42%]

Originally Posted by azelismia
Mulder is a classic INFP. I just got done watching the entire series over the last year and I can't think of a single instance where I thought he was NT. He's guided by feelings almost entirely. He doesn't even make a stab at going for logic.

When mulder refers to feelings or does something that suggests a feeling, he is using his intuition. In my opinion, when a person's preference is feeling, it has to do with their ability to make a decision; not how they perceive or interpret the world around them. A decision is made after facts, ideas, and theories have been considered, the feeling part has to do with acting on what we have preceived or considered, or how we will apply it.

Regarding rare and valuable treasures, I found the Holy Grail,...

Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
azelismia
Core Member [166%]
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?
MBTI: INTj

yes and mulders decisions are based on feeling not logic. he's a heavily intuitive feeler.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
lancelot
Member [42%]

Originally Posted by azelismia
yes and mulders decisions are based on feeling not logic. he's a heavily intuitive feeler.

When Mulder makes a list of events, or makes a comparision and shows the relationship between the events or objects, he is using logic not feeling.

Duchovany's real life persona is just as interesting as his fictional charcter in my opinion, Yet I think I perfer him as Mulder. Regarding Scully, it would make sense she should be sensing, this would ballance out the process of their investigation. I think the producers like having the male charcter be right most of the time, it could have just as easily been the other way around.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #18
Ilikepepper
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INFJ

Why Fox Mulder is an INTJ, he is an introvert, a loner, and a man of strong convition.
He is intense and pasionate about his work, he is good at putting together theories, and is not distracted by people who don't share his vision or insights. When push comes to shove, he will fight, and put his life in danger for what he believes it.

How are these things not INFJ or INFP? An INFP who is not feeling benevolent (yes, it can happen, especially older INFPs) will also not be distracted by people, especially stupid/clueless/annoying people, who do not share his/her visions or insights.

Incidentally, it's irrational to fight and put your life in danger for your personal belief. The rational thing to do is nod and smile, then subvert/ignore whatever the hell is standing in your way to achieve your ends. Why put your life on the line for an idea? That's an idealist thing.

When Mulder makes a list of events, or makes a comparision and shows the relationship between the events or objects, he is using logic not feeling.

That seems to be an explanation of how he arrives at a conclusion - so that description is still part of the perceiving process, as opposed to his acting/judgment process. To me, he's using extraverted intuition- looking for recurring patterns in the world around him.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 AM   #19
lancelot
Member [42%]

Originally Posted by Ilikepepper
How are these things not INFJ or INFP? An INFP who is not feeling benevolent (yes, it can happen, especially older INFPs) will also not be distracted by people, especially stupid/clueless/annoying people, who do not share his/her visions or insights.

Incidentally, it's irrational to fight and put your life in danger for your personal belief. The rational thing to do is nod and smile, then subvert/ignore whatever the hell is standing in your way to achieve your ends. Why put your life on the line for an idea? That's an idealist thing.

That seems to be an explanation of how he arrives at a conclusion - so that description is still part of the perceiving process, as opposed to his acting/judgment process. To me, he's using extraverted intuition- looking for recurring patterns in the world around him.

I have seen Mulder put his life in danger several times on the show, he has strong conviction.

Pattern recognition is, generally speaking, best preceived by
intuititve people(IN).

Anyway you seem to be kidding, and that's ok.

I have to get back to the more serious problems of global warming, world hunger and environmental polution.

PS. I hope the next X Files Movie is better than the first one.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #20
bubbers
New Member [01%]
MBTI: ENFP

Mulder could be an INTJ with a weak T and J...his quest to find the truth is kind of INFJ-ish but I feel he acts and works through cases more like an INTJ. If this is the case no wonder I had a crush on him when I watched the show as a kid (I'm about to re-watch the entire series and then watch the new movie).

...I definitely think that Scully is an ISTJ

PS thanks for posting that page futureperfect, I enjoyed reading it
Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
Kisai
Core Member [439%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

INFP. If Mulder was an INTJ, he'd already have brought back irrefutable evidence of boogeymen/aliens/whatever and have gotten promoted three times already.

I'm going to quote from

As an exceptionally skilled investigator, Mulder finds ordinary, menial jobs a boring waste of his time and talents. He has an objective and anything that distracts or detracts him from this mission is a annoyance. His work on the X-Files is his life. He is inspired and farsighted; constantly analyzing and gleaning in every look. He is witty and determined, both of which assist in his projects as an investigator. His intuition, however, is his greatest asset. This insight, along with his intense intellectual comprehension yield amazing results. His solutions to even the most complex of problems are stunningly original and often times somewhat visionary.

Much of the time, Mulder's personality is both passionate and composed. He has an innocent curiosity that when combined with his intellectual depth yields a character that is astoundingly fascinating. He has a vast array of knowledge, which helps him to piece together ideas that would not often be associated with each other. In terms of emotional sensitivity, Mulder is unsurpassed, with a specific talent for empathizing with other people's pain. Despite his addictive personality, Mulder remains very independent, which renders him somewhat unconventional, nearly to the point of eccentricity.

Mulder's exceptional ability as an investigator manifests itself in his interrogations. He uses his intuition and insight, in addition to his keen observations and listening skills to establish affinity and extract information. Beyond his amazing empathy and intuition, one of Mulder's most amazing abilities is his mind, full of eclectic knowledge. He has an almost encyclopedic mind full of seeming trivial knowledge. These "trivial" facts are often time what allow him to make connections most others would overlook.

Kisai is online
Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #22
Sinequanon
Veteran Member [96%]
Begin from being no one, rise higher and higher to hit the ground.
MBTI: INFJ

I kind of agree.. Mulder is extraverting his intuition. INFP who somehow got locked into the rigid structure of the FBI doesn't seem unlikely for him.