How to tell someone you miss them? None
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Therion
Member [14%]
Hey, Grim Reaper, lend me your sickle. This world needs some culling, blood needs to trickle!
MBTI: INTJ

What the topic says. I've thought about that question so much it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to think of a good way to genuinely say "I miss you" without sounding or coming off as a sissy or overly needy. I also want to avoid making the person on the receiving end feel like they are obligated to spend time with me.

It's been a week since I've seen the subject of the topic.. So I think a week is a pretty good amount of time too... *thinks*

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
JohnDoe
Core Member [149%]
MBTI: INFJ

I miss you. (seriously)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
cannotseethe
Core Member [309%]
Miss Stomp-On-Men, a.k.a. Dr. Marxist-post-modernist-feminist-heterodox-economics-prayer-circle-vodoo-priestess
MBTI: eXXX

Oh, oh! I got it!

"I miss you."

There. Say that. It'll totally work!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Therion
Member [14%]
Hey, Grim Reaper, lend me your sickle. This world needs some culling, blood needs to trickle!

Haha, okay, maybe I am overthinking.... it's probably confirmed at this point. XD
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
JohnDoe
Core Member [149%]

Originally Posted by Therion
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Haha, okay, maybe I am overthinking.... it's probably confirmed at this point. XD

Definately overthinking.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Therion
Member [14%]

Originally Posted by JohnDoe
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Definately overthinking.

Well.. at least now I know.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Nikonman
Member [18%]
MBTI: IxTJ

I go to this store called Hallmark. They sell cards. Everything from a few short words that let the person know you have been thinking of him or her, to cards that say "I'm going to kiss you from head to toe the next time I see you." I've found the right Hallmark card works well. I just bought 3 of them today (saves gas to stock up). My girlfriend just flew back into town tonight and is flying out again early in the morning, so I left one of those "missing you" cards on her porch today. Based on the call after she read it, the card worked as I hoped it would.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Therion
Member [14%]

Originally Posted by Nikonman
I go to this store called Hallmark. They sell cards. Everything from a few short words that let the person know you have been thinking of him or her, to cards that say "I'm going to kiss you from head to toe the next time I see you." I've found the right Hallmark card works well. I just bought 3 of them today (saves gas to stock up). My girlfriend just flew back into town tonight and is flying out again early in the morning, so I left one of those "missing you" cards on her porch today. Based on the call after she read it, the card worked as I hoped it would.

Dude! Nice idea.. I like that one. Simple, and the card does all the talking for me.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
magdalena
New Member [01%]
"You're not going crazy Arthur, you're going sane in a crazy world!"

Just pick one sensory thing-"I miss your [smell,sound of your voice...ahem..etc.]"
Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Wintersun
Member [08%]
"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

- Wizard's Fifth Rule, Soul of the Fire, Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
MBTI: IxTx

Nothing says "I miss you" like "I miss you".

That said, it's not healthy to attempt to compel someone to spend time with you. They ought to have sovereignty over their decisions.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
AlR
Member [03%]

Originally Posted by Therion
What the topic says. I've thought about that question so much it's driving me crazy. I'm trying to think of a good way to genuinely say "I miss you" without sounding or coming off as a sissy or overly needy. I also want to avoid making the person on the receiving end feel like they are obligated to spend time with me.

It's been a week since I've seen the subject of the topic.. So I think a week is a pretty good amount of time too... *thinks*

How about

"Things are better when you are around"

or

"Things were not as fun when you were gone"

Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
fluffy pillow
Member [15%]
My words reflect my intentions, if only you knew what i really meant.
MBTI: INxJ

Originally Posted by AlR
How about

"Things are better when you are around"

or

"Things were not as fun when you were gone"

no thats almost like saying your having less fun without her creating a dependence on her. hes trying to not make them feel like they are obligated, and the way your telling him to say makes it so.

(seriously keep this in mind).
remember girls like playful, confident and slightly assertive. anything you say and do that falls within that category its all good.

im not going to suggest any sentence for you too say to her because than you'll just say that line and it might come off as unnatural. just do what you do and flow with it in a creative and fun loving way.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
mayumi
Member [12%]

Originally Posted by fluffy pillow
no thats almost like saying your having less fun without her creating a dependence on her. hes trying to not make them feel like they are obligated, and the way your telling him to say makes it so.

(seriously keep this in mind).
remember girls like playful, confident and slightly assertive. anything you say and do that falls within that category its all good.

im not going to suggest any sentence for you too say to her because than you'll just say that line and it might come off as unnatural. just do what you do and flow with it in a creative and fun loving way.

A lover texted me everyday "I miss you, when you'll come back?" and other variations for 10 days until I got so annoyed I broke up with him over text. Even if some of his messages were cute like "Last night my soul went there and kissed your white tummy."

Be clever and cute, but be sparse. Aggressive does not work. Also, be thoughtful, ask 'how are you?" How's the food, are you eating well? ect." So much better than being cute.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
stiletto
Member [09%]

MBTI: INtJ

"I miss you." Brevity is really key in expressing feelings like this.

The other element is tone. A person can easily say it in a way that doesn't put others out. It's like offering a genuine compliment without expecting something else in return. Even if the person doesn't care to spend more time with you, they'll still be flattered that you want to spend more time with them. It's only fucking lame if someone does the whole emotional manipulation thing.

But a plain, truly felt statement, on it's own, and offered with respect for the other party is pretty hard to take any other way.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
ranwayslo
Member [19%]

I like: "I keep missing you, but I'm working my aim."

Seriously though the best is the I missed you so much followed up with a sincere hug.

About hugs: Nothing says you have my complete and undivided attention like a good hug.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
Lil
Member [09%]
MBTI: INFP

Are you talking about saying it to someone over the phone or something in anticipation of y'all getting together? IOW are you asking how to say, "I miss you and I want to see you"?

Or are you talking about when you see the person, letting them know that you've missed them and you're glad to be with them?

In the latter case, you can say with emphasis, "It's REALLY good to see you." I have a friend who says (as he hugs you), "I've been missing you." It's a nice way of putting it.

If you're saying it as part of an invitation to get together, you can smear it around and make it less specific by saying, "I miss talking to you-- I enjoy our conversations so much!" or something like that.

To let someone know that you appreciate them and enjoy their company is NOT needy; it's quite flattering.

In grade school we have to pretend we don't like people. But as adults we can let them know that we like them. People LIKE to be liked.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
JustMel
Core Member [448%]
It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you, but trusting them not to.

Yeah, you're over thinking. A simple, "I was thinking of you. I miss you." is sufficient.

I used to be horrible at telling my husband I missed him when I was away on business. (Imagine that, an INTJ who didn't express emotions) until he asked me once, "do you miss me at all". I told him of course I missed him and the kids too and wanted to be at home. He said "why don't you ever tell me you miss me?" Duh, it didn't occur to me. I knew he missed me and thought he knew I missed him. Now I make sure to tell him regardless of which of us is out of town.
JustMel is online
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #18
hippiechic
New Member [01%]

MBTI: ENFJ

"I miss you"

Simple, to the point, the truth and very much appreciated.

Don't overthink what you feel.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #19
hubcap
Veteran Member [81%]
MBTI: ENTJ

Dude, seriously, just say "I miss you".

Do we need to make a checklist for stuff this simple?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #20
jndiii
Core Member [160%]

Originally Posted by JustMel
Yeah, you're over thinking. A simple, "I was thinking of you. I miss you." is sufficient.

How about

"I was overthinking of you. I miss you."

Old 10-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #21
JaneEyre
New Member [01%]

my intj said "I miss the hell out of you" and that really struck a chord with me...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #22
Therion
Member [14%]

Originally Posted by jndiii
How about

"I was overthinking of you. I miss you."

Hahahaha... I like that one.... XD

Therion added to this post, 0 minutes and 46 seconds later...

Originally Posted by hubcap
Dude, seriously, just say "I miss you".

Do we need to make a checklist for stuff this simple?

Most likely we do. Sometimes the simplest, most basic things are
the ones we forget.. or forget to remember. I'm really bad at expressing
simple, basic feelings.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #23
Shorgenfunkel
Member [37%]

Link her to this thread.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #24
erh
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by magdalena
Just pick one sensory thing-"I miss your [smell,sound of your voice...ahem..etc.]"

I like this one the best! I am having the same problem... I feel if I blatantly say "I miss you" that I will come across as needy.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:50 AM   #25
Wintersun
Member [08%]
"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

- Wizard's Fifth Rule, Soul of the Fire, Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind
MBTI: IxTx

Originally Posted by Shorgenfunkel
Link her to this thread.

Agreed. She'd find out firsthand just how much you care - even enough to ask random strangers on the Internet for advice.