Ni in overdrive None
Old 02-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Solaris
Core Member [178%]
ENTJ, but I operate well on INTJ frequency
MBTI: ENTJ

Do others have days (one or a string of them) when it's like you can feel your Ni in overdrive? It's part physical sensation, and part mental awareness. On one hand, I want to sit down and explore what is going on in my brain. On the other hand, I want to just let it go about its business, awaiting the final product. During these times, the physical sensation is like that of something almost ready to explode out of me...but not like an emotional outburst, just a realization that is tantalizingly close, waiting to fully form and jump out.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
BlackHawk
Member [08%]
Do or do not. There is no try. -Yoda
MBTI: INTJ

Yes.
The hyped-up Ni is awesome! Every single thing you say, do, or make during this time will most likely be a stroke of genius! lotsa fun . . . .
I can't figure out what, if anything, causes it . . .
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Rohsiph
Member [30%]
MBTI: xxxx

except it pretty much has meant for the last five years for every three hours spent in bed I'll manage less than two hours of actual sleep . . . when awake, the mind is running--rolling over thoughts, considering directions, weighing options, speculating outcomes.

it is tiring such that i can only imagine losing my identity were i forced into a position in the standard business world, instead of the more open-scheduled academic world.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Rick
Member [05%]

Wish I could get Ne and Ni going full bore at the same time.

Lots of people would be left with their mouths hanging open.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Vicimdhar
New Member [01%]

A few years ago, I decided to live my life somewhat more ascetic and to meditate every day, resulting in some strange effects. My mind became very clear and I had the feeling that I could understand everything that happened in the universe. I also felt certain about certain events happening that I couldn't possibly be certain about. I started 'seeing' that if I continued my life in a certain way, I would die in a certain way in the far future (without feeling any anxiety).

Usually, if my Ni provides me with something, I can trace and justify why I thought that way. As I couldn't do that anymore, I gave up that lifestyle and my Ni went back to normal again.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
the natural
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Vicimdhar
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A few years ago, I decided to live my life somewhat more ascetic and to meditate every day, resulting in some strange effects. My mind became very clear and I had the feeling that I could understand everything that happened in the universe. I also felt certain about certain events happening that I couldn't possibly be certain about. I started 'seeing' that if I continued my life in a certain way, I would die in a certain way in the far future (without feeling any anxiety).

Usually, if my Ni provides me with something, I can trace and justify why I thought that way. As I couldn't do that anymore, I gave up that lifestyle and my Ni went back to normal again.

Interesting! I'm pursuing meditation myself and possibly yoga to clear my mind and focus my thoughts on the important things (and not irrational worries). Can you mention any books or specific techniques you used?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Vicimdhar
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by the natural
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interesting! I'm pursuing meditation myself and possibly yoga to clear my mind and focus my thoughts on the important things (and not irrational worries). Can you mention any books or specific techniques you used?

That's certainly a good purpose. I've also used it for that.

Unfortunately, I don't have any books to recommend as I learned some basic techniques through my religious background. Basically, I started by focusing on a mantra and contemplating its meaning. Then, I practiced
(conscious breathing techniques). Besides this, I also practiced near-vegetarianism and abstained from sexual stimulation for long periods.

It's not recommended to do such things without proper guidance. Shouldn't be a problem for your purpose though as it's not necessary to go so deep.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
szaxazs
Member [05%]
WE DOMINATE THY CYBERSPACE

My mind became very clear and I had the feeling that I could understand everything that happened in the universe.

The last month or so, for some unexplainable reason, my mind at least once per day "freezes" for some seconds, anything that I was thinking about goes away, and its like I understand the meanings of the universe, like total knowing. It lasts only for some seconds but when I think of it it seems to me that way more time has passed. When I'm "back" my thoughts come back too, and some minutes later I say W T F. Sometimes it is scary. However it is always more and more interesting. It usually happens around 9pm to 2am, it might have some connection with time.

Strange things happen huh.

About the Ni overdrive, it happens to me about 2-3 times per week. It's like my whole brain is overdriven for some time, but the Ni is overdriven most. Sometimes when the overdrive mode ends I lose track of my ideas and I'm left confused only to recall them hours or days later.

This is kinda funny, the subconscious is really amazing.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Uytuun
Member [26%]
panta rhei
MBTI: INTj

I've just a bout of Ni...well, if not in overdrive, then certainly working at full speed. Wow, it's so amazing, the only time I can really get enthusiastic or hyped-up about something. I was actually reading an article on particle placement in English and someone had posted a question on the class discussion forum and I started digging and digging and then all kinds of intuitions and insights popped up and led to other insights and I couldn't get hold of all of them and they kept questioning themselves and bumping into themselves and rolling over other ones and my eyes started shining and all. It's all so clear even though you have no idea what exactly it involves...like your mind can envelop everything.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
the natural
New Member [01%]

That's certainly a good purpose. I've also used it for that.

Unfortunately, I don't have any books to recommend as I learned some basic techniques through my religious background. Basically, I started by focusing on a mantra and contemplating its meaning. Then, I practiced
(conscious breathing techniques). Besides this, I also practiced near-vegetarianism and abstained from sexual stimulation for long periods.

It's not recommended to do such things without proper guidance. Shouldn't be a problem for your purpose though as it's not necessary to go so deep.

Thanks, I've started with mantras and breathing exercises, thinking about moving on to full blown yoga classes (tried a few positions and ended up with a sore back, lol).

Old 03-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
Solaris
Core Member [178%]

So has anyone had any useful, or lasting, results?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Solaris
Core Member [178%]

So, interestingly, my N is a damn know-it-all that won't share. I will sometimes feel sort of anxious about something involving a particular situation or person, and then, a few days later, something notable will occur with said situation or person. It's like I see it coming, but don't at the same time. I don't often understand these precursors, just that they seem to prepare me to handle the upcoming FUBAR situation.

Anyone else get this?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
cypher72
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTj

Originally Posted by Solaris
So, interestingly, my N is a damn know-it-all that won't share. I will sometimes feel sort of anxious about something involving a particular situation or person, and then, a few days later, something notable will occur with said situation or person. It's like I see it coming, but don't at the same time. I don't often understand these precursors, just that they seem to prepare me to handle the upcoming FUBAR situation.

Anyone else get this?

i sometimes get that, but usually i have a very vague idea as to what might happen.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Flamethrower
Member [17%]
Pondering...

Anyone else get this?

I find often if my mind is focused on some thing it will often seem to happen much sooner than I expect. And there is this particular friend I hardly ever see that will always phone the day after I have been wondering how she is. That is always odd.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
UziSpray
New Member [01%]

I find it strange that you guys can't force your mind to go into hyper Ni mode. Anytime I want to I just do it. I'm a visual thinker in the first place, so maybe that helps.

So has anyone had any useful, or lasting, results?

Yes. I fixed a problem in modeling multiskill resource allocation. Exams are a breeze.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
BlackHawk
Member [08%]
Do or do not. There is no try. -Yoda

Anyone else get this?

Same thing with me, but the feeling isn't vague, it's there. As in, I'll know almost exactly what the problem is going to be. I used to dismiss this, but then I kept going "Ugh. I SO saw that coming!" after anything went wrong. So now, I listen to Ni, and I'm several steps ahead of the game!

The strength and clarity of these insights probably is greater in INTJs, because we have Ni primary, whereas you have Te.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
unnu
Member [03%]

Do others have days (one or a string of them) when it's like you can feel your Ni in overdrive?

Yes, it can occur for a few hours, days, and in rare cases, over a month. There are somethings that will shift it into overdrive, such as, reading intriguing literature, certain songs, and random moments of contemplation.

Examples:

My first exploration of the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus lasted about 25 minutes before I had to stop, lie down on my bed and let Ni take control. It lasted about an hour. The best way to describe it is like a mental seed (intriguing literature) being planted in soil (Ni, unconscious mind.) The seed is a conscious act that becomes integrated as Ni, in overdrive, takes it and allows all or any direction to be taken as an unknown amount of connections, associations, mental constructs are explored or created. It's similar to being in a trance yet being fully aware at the same time. Unfortunately, it's difficult to extract any results. As was mentioned, it's more of an integration process, mostly unconscious. I can imagine there are many newly strengthened neural networks after the overdrive. At best, the results will show up as that mysterious intuitive understanding we INTJs love.

There are some songs that will initiate it. When I find a song like that, I will usually put it on repeat and zone-out. A few songs that can do it (there are many more): Astral Projection: dancing galaxy, Autechre: vletrmx21, Bach: brandenburg concerto no.3, Joy Division: dead souls, Mozart: symphony no.25, Wendy Carlos: timesteps

The last thing really is random. It can be after a shower, on a weekend, and I'll just sit there relaxing and thoughts will start forming, which eventually activate Ni before I even realize it's happened. This scenario is usually the weakest, since it doesn't take much to snap out of it. But it's also the best in terms extracting any new connections (ideas.)

Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #18
the human iPod
Member [02%]
MBTI: ENTP

I envy the Ni from time to time. But I guess Ti has its advantages as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
malefide
Member [06%]

My Ni frequently goes into overdrive, sometimes so much that it is extremely difficult for me to return to the "real" world, so to speak. I can live totally in my head for hours on end. The other day, I spent 10 consecutive hours the library reading linguistics...and when I finally had to come out, the world was like a blur to me and interacting with it and with other people was almost physically jarring. My sensory perceptions were dulled and faded into the background of my mind sphere. I missed what people said over and over because my thoughts would float back inward. I would go check to see if there was still enough rice for dinner and come back three or four times from the cupboard without having actually seen whether the rice was there.

So yeah. My Ni can get VERY intense at times.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #20
bmartinl
New Member [01%]

My Ni strikes at random times. Sometimes bright and early in the morning, even at work in the first few hours. It's like I can pick a certain concept and then my brain tosses up a hypothesis about how it works. Usually this will be a natural phenomenon, or involving a social situation. Sometimes it will be an insight into how another person thinks. It will linger for a few minutes, then dissolve, leaving me feeling like "Wow, that was really profound. Now onto the next thing."
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #21
Jaycen
New Member [01%]

I scanned some of the responses and...

I always type out with an extremely high N. This is no surprise to me, as my thought process is less like the linear one described by those who know me, as it is more like a web. Each new idea creates several threads of possibilities which start spinning out from the center. As each thread peters out in possibility/likelihood, I concentrate more on the remaining threads, so that quickly I can calculate what the likely outcome of any potential action will be.

Fortunately for me, I get to apply it daily. I work in an extremely technical field, in a small (40+ employees) engineering-consulting firm. My talents are highly prized and utilized, so I've been free to some extent to develop them, even encouraged.

When I'm not helping with new product development or explaining some of our more complex systems to a client, I'm helping the technical support people troubleshoot electrical/logical/mechanical issues that they're trying to deal with over the phone or on-site.

The "exploding intuition" feeling some people have expressed here is something that I get to utilize almost daily. There are times when someone will be in the middle of a problem description and I stop them and point straight at the problem. It wasn't so much the description (and where they thought they were leading me), but the extrapolation of how they explained it and what they weren't saying that will lead me to the "real problem" which had little or nothing to do with what they were trying to explain.

To the rest of my collegues, it looks like black magic. To me, it's a blinking neon sign. Maybe it's just me.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #22
True Rune
Core Member [210%]
Dying is as pointless as living.

It happens. I kind of snap back into reality and wonder if it's reality, and sometimes run into things and almost people. It normally happens when I walk alone. It's really fun to do though. I wonder what the iT and iN combo would bring a person..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #23
thephoenix1414
New Member [01%]

I've had this on several occasions. I like to write and I've found that these are the best times to do it because I can just belt out things on paper in a way that I normally can't. I used to try poetry but couldn't until one week not to long ago I could just "see" how to write what I wanted to. I cranked out several decent poems then. I normally "know" what I want to say but how to say it eludes me until these insight moments.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
phantasma
Member [09%]
aka Fernando_the_weasel
MBTI: INTP

As an INTP, my Ne often kicks in when I'm angry at the current state of affairs and am venting, or if I'm yelling at someone. It's kind of weird. I end up seeing through people and things without knowing what I'm doing. It's pretty awesome freaking people out with my inexplicable knowledge about them.