Danish People = INTJs? None
Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
dmouth11
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTJ

I'm an INTJ male from the US studying abroad in Copenhagen for the next four months and I've quickly noticed here in Denmark that Danish people come across as very INTJish (I guess it does take one to know one lol):

-The Danes don't like small talk or the "cordial smiling" that's prevalent in the US, especially on public transit.
-They can come across as reserved and standoffish and really value privacy
-It's a notoriously progressive, libertarian culture that values independence (it seems)
-I've been warned that the Danes have a very sarcastic sense of humor, but due to language barriers and not getting the vocal intonation right, their jokes often come across as downright offensive and insulting
-They have little patience for incompetent American students that can't read the Danish signs and must ask for help to navigate around or find groceries lol (but if you ask for help they'll offer all the advice they can)

Has anyone else pondered about this before? Is the reason why Denmark is such a prosperous and orderly country because it's run by and populated by a lot of INTJs? ;-)

Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
SShack
Core Member [124%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP

Our Danish marketing director is totally an ENTP like me. He is a motorcycle enthusiast and yes, very amusingly sarcastic. He has picked up a lot of Americanisms and is very outgoing. Perhaps that's why he emigrated here rather than staying in Denmark.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
dmouth11
Member [03%]

I should also add that Danes notoriously like their booze (social lubricant?)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
CWC
Member [08%]

Originally Posted by dmouth11
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm an INTJ male from the US studying abroad in Copenhagen for the next four months and I've quickly noticed here in Denmark that Danish people come across as very INTJish (I guess it does take one to know one lol):

-The Danes don't like small talk or the "cordial smiling" that's prevalent in the US, especially on public transit.
-They can come across as reserved and standoffish and really value privacy
-It's a notoriously progressive, libertarian culture that values independence (it seems)
-I've been warned that the Danes have a very sarcastic sense of humor, but due to language barriers and not getting the vocal intonation right, their jokes often come across as downright offensive and insulting
-They have little patience for incompetent American students that can't read the Danish signs and must ask for help to navigate around or find groceries lol (but if you ask for help they'll offer all the advice they can)

Has anyone else pondered about this before? Is the reason why Denmark is such a prosperous and orderly country because it's run by and populated by a lot of INTJs? ;-)

By observing as you mentioned,what is your sample size investigated that made you feel such a conclusion?You did not mention the age group who were part of your sample size.For all that is true,your current experiences of the dane's attitude could be predominatly exhibited by the older generations where socioculture are pretty much hardwired into the then society.
Let's look at the east asian.The society of East asian nations have always been known as a repressive society framed in the context of socioculture practices,traditions and upbringing.By and far,to a large degree since the ancient times up till the 1980's a few decades back,the people of East asian nations have been put on the pedestal of 'rigidity';like the current constituition of the muslim world where so and so still exist in modern times.

Denmark is part of mother scandinavian,and so is sweden-both of which are close to the northen hemisphere-.Climate there is always cold.As from what my friends residing there,they always claimed they felt like they have lived enough.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Polaris
New Member [01%]
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? 

Albert Einstein
MBTI: iNtj

If you think the Danish are INTJish, try a Norwegian. The Norwegians consider the Danish to be "outgoing' and "gregarious".Then move to Finland and you'll think Norwegians are outgoing and gregarious.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Solus
Member [16%]

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Has anyone else pondered about this before?

Perhaps you should say a thing or two about the Danish welfare model financed by extremely high taxes (Danish VAT, for example, is the highest in Europe), or the percentage of the GDP that they allocate to development aid. I've been on this forum long enough to know that those two alone would suffice for many here to dismiss the country as unacceptably 'collectivist'.

Is the reason why Denmark is such a prosperous and orderly country because it's run by and populated by a lot of INTJs? ;-)

I'd say that may be attributable to a fairly higher-than-average number of meticulous ISTJs in the general population.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Zsych
Core Member [469%]
MBTI: XNTX

I'm very independent myself and I don't like my independence being disturbed - but system maintenance (social welfare) is garbage I should not have to be concerned with at all. Having things like medical bills inconvenience your life is not amusing... perhaps because I grew up with free medical care. Seriously, the health care system in the US is nuts. Some things really do not need to be too commercialized. Its not good for the people the system supposedly serves.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Benzebub
Member [03%]
No! J and P are not functions.

As a scandinavian (I am from Sweden) I can verify that the common attitude in scandinavia is rather reserved. I would not say many are especially INTJ-like thought but rather more like ISTJ. A common view I have noticed among people here is that americans are quite ESFP-like.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
curiousgeorge01
Core Member [145%]

Well is Denmark society any better than American or other societies? If it is, then it must be INTJish
Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Ytterbium
Veteran Member [74%]

Originally Posted by Polaris
If you think the Danish are INTJish, try a Norwegian. The Norwegians consider the Danish to be "outgoing' and "gregarious".Then move to Finland and you'll think Norwegians are outgoing and gregarious.

Yep, Danes are more 'continental' than the rest. I wouldn't say that Danes are INTJ, that would suite Sweden or Norway better. Finland is more like ISTP.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Luciferi
Member [17%]

MBTI: IsTp

Nordics and northern Germanics tend to have that kind of culture, but just because they publicly behave like INTJs doesn't mean they all think that way. I've met plenty of scandis who were definitely NOT like that once you get past the facade.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
liquidzilla
Member [10%]

I think Britain in very INTJ/ENTJ in it's stereotypical culture (especially in the south). We rarely ever talk for no reason, never to strangers ect. I would only say that on the stereotype however. With the Danes, I wouldn't have a clue sadly, I have yet to visit. How big is your sample size?