What does it feel like to be happy? Please describe it. emotions
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Jinxu
Banned

MBTI: InTj

This is a spin-off from this thread:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happiness feels uncomfortable to me. I've forgotten how to be happy and can't remember what it feels like anymore.

If you are happy, can you describe what it feels like?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
JohnnyElectric
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ

Happiness is like a good caffeine buzz.
Happiness is fleeting.

Being an INTJ, I tend to only really feel happy when I've had enough drinks to get me out of my shell, in the company of good friends. I know, this is a sad statement....but we're supposed to be honest here, eh?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Nightwish bob
Member [06%]
Artist credit: Plantman Exe.
(Not my work)
Autobot Prowl

Originally Posted by JohnnyElectric
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is like a good caffeine buzz.
Happiness is fleeting.

Being an INTJ, I tend to only really feel happy when I've had enough drinks to get me out of my shell, in the company of good friends. I know, this is a sad statement....but we're supposed to be honest here, eh?

Same here if I am honest, sadly it is almost a false happiness..

I am currently looking after my mum's cat, she was my cat but I moved out and live in a place where they don't allow pets, bare with me this is related. First couple of days she totally panicked, and I was worried sick about her, I mean she's nearly 10 years old and is an old lady now! She has always been a house cat so not letting her outside is fine, it took her around 4 days to settle in.
Now she follows me from room to room, sits near me when I am on the computer, she waits at the top of the stairs for me to come home from work and greets me with a gently mew and likes to be cuddled and picked up, then she will quite happily just sleep in close proximity. I was looking at her asleep on my bed, and I was on the computer foruming, and I had a warm, happy feeling inside, she wanted my affection, and she gave affection back and asked for nothing more. I honestly felt elated, giddy that she was there and felt like there was nothing more I could want from my life at that moment other than for her to be happy near me. This was a big revelation to me as I don't remember ever feeling happy, it is also uncomfortable for me as I simply wait to see what will go wrong when things are going well, so I can't enjoy it.

This is as happy as I get, but I don't think it lasts, it was fleeting and when I have to take her back I will be very sad, I've only had her a week too!! I only felt the elation that strongly I think; because I am naturally indifferent, it was nice but I couldn't be like that all the time I don't think I would function normally it's too distracting.

I also know naturally happy people and they don't understand not being happy, I guess it can work both ways. Hope you have a little more insight...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Elfrun
Core Member [268%]
MBTI: entp

I'm just about as positive and optimistic as they come but I don't know how the iNtuitive part can remain happy. I see happiness as being in the moment and appreciating and revelling what is happening right then and there, how an intuitive can do that in a sustained way when the focus is so firmly on the future I don't know.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Synchronicity
Core Member [366%]
Get your filthy mouse cursor off of me!

Happiness is a funny thing. I'm never quite sure if I have it or not. I think I do, but who's to say? Feelings are subjective, and I've never had much in the way of feelings.

For me, being happy means enjoying whatever it is you are doing. If you're happy, washing the dishes or doing your laundry is much less of a chore. But there are more subtle types of happiness that I acknowledge, such as the absence of negative feelings like anxiety or fear. I tend to view as positive any lack of powerful emotion, thus I consider myself a happy person the majority of the time. Neat little paradox I've made, don't you think?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Tough Love
Core Member [121%]
If what I am is what I am, coz I does what I does...
MBTI: eNTj

Happiness - being appreciative of everything positive around you - beauty, nature, family, friends, work etc etc. Contentedness is when you realize that you can actually turn happiness on and off like a switch if you have enough self control.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
GrnEyz
Core Member [305%]
The worst is over now...  and we can breathe again...

Every person creates a belief system, starting at birth, based upon the influence of others. The ideas and concepts that we accept become belief structures ingrained in our consciousness. Each person measures their success and happiness according to someone else's ideas, including those of their parents, their peers, the media, government, politics, and religion - just to name a few.

Our conflicts spring from attempting to take newly discovered truths and fit them into an old belief structure that is made up of repetitions of half-truths, untruths, dogma, and illusions that have been passed down through the ages. The journey of discovery is one of personal transformation. Conflicts can be resolved by exchanging truth for the white lies we have been taught.

I am relentless in my pursuit of happiness. It is fleeting at best. Happiness occurs during periods of distraction. When I have time alone, I find myself reviewing past and current distractions and deciding which ones still provide pleasure. I decided long ago that many distractions require wealth. I concentrated on building my business and my disposable income. At this point my business runs smooth and provides all the disposable income I require. I take time off frequently. I really don't understand business people that continue to work 40+ hours per week to dramatically increase revenue and/or margins when they have more than they need.

I still struggle with mild depression at times. Usually this occurs when I am home alone thinking about one of the ultimate distractions... relationships. I've had several. It seems that I just cannot find the right person to fill this role. My last long term relationship lasted 5 years.... that ended almost a year ago. Self medication in the form of alcohol injestion seems to help and I generally keep it at a reasonable level.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
honeybee
New Member [01%]

I remember as a kid just being over whelmed with happiness at times for no good reason, just enjoying life.

Happiness feels like a warmness in the back of the brain, near the back of your neck. A buzz and tingle as certain electrical impulses trigger, as hormone levels change and chemicals move around the body.

Of course certain drugs also produce this effect quite effectively!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Charly09
Member [04%]

MBTI: INXj

Happiness is when you are running on a beach with the breeze in your face
Happiness is on a motorcycle on a twisty road
Happiness is strolling in the streets during a subtropical rain fall
Happiness is looking forward to a nice message which you are expecting
Happiness is in the arms of a loved one
Happiness is sitting on your front porch watching the world go by
Happiness is smelling the trees on the morning on the way to work
Happiness is sitting in a coffee shop watching people
Happiness is enjoying a good meal
Happiness is anticipating the evening chat with a loved one
Happiness is feeling the morning sun on your skin when you step out the door

The world is full of happiness. You find it enjoying all these little gifts surrounding you and realizing how blessed we are to live here and now. You know it is there, when you suddenly have this bubbly giggly feeling which almost makes you chest explode. If you think it is not there anymore, try to remember the things which made you happy in your childhood, do some of the little things you have done as a child, then you can bring it back. Not always, but just enough to enjoy life.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
indrakas
New Member [01%]

MBTI: intj

It's like not having any pain or tension, not being anxious and the feeling of being flexible in your own body, able to control your moves and actions, or just melting away in the wind, or water, or something else... It happens when you switch to the s-side of you... It's a beautiful state of mind and body, sometimes calm, sometimes joy, sometimes nothing at all or something that is not yourself.

It happens to me when I'm experiencing rather than organising, questioning or analysing.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Allie
Veteran Member [56%]

To me, happiness is being at peace with yourself.

My anchor is myself; therefore I know who I am and what I want, and what I need to do to achieve my wants and needs. In that self knowledge, I recognize that happiness comes from me. I decide what happiness is, and not depend on others for/or against it.

That process alone makes me happy and content--it is a peaceful feeling that is stable and, thus, not ephemeral. It sparks a chain reaction from that point to other areas of life...culminating in actions (making the right decisions) and outlooks that provide happiness to me and those around me.

It is about recognizing, accepting, and appreciating---from the simple things (having air to breathe) to the most important things (your loved ones).
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Hashim
Member [04%]

Dear OP

Try a simple experiment. Pray for something that you REALLY REALLY want; and then work hard towards it. Once you achieve it thats what is happiness.

Its quite humbling actually. Like a balloon that swells up inside you. Where even the normally impassive INTJ (me) cant help but smile.

And yes Allie is right. Look at the favors of the lord on yourself and you will be very happy.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
PHS Philip
Veteran Member [91%]
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
MBTI: iNtP

Hm, it's tough.

The first type, the best I can do is "warm, and soft." There aren't really adjectives suited to describing it, and those two only work if you already know the sense I mean them in, but that's the best I can do.

The second is almost an "up" feeling. It's energy, I guess it the best way to put it. Again, inadequate, but as good as I can do.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
Latro
Veteran Member [88%]

MBTI: INTP

3 classes of happiness to me: pleasure, contentment, and happiness per se (yes, happiness is somehow a proper subset of happiness. Bite me, set theorists.)

Pleasure should be easy to grasp unless you've REALLY been deprived your whole life, and frankly is not properly describable, as it is quite frankly a purely physiological response.

Contentment is a general sense of being satisfied with the way things are. You're not elated, but you're not at all displeased either; you're slightly on the positive side of the general "mood spectrum". This is the state that one preferably would be in more often than not; constant pleasure will cause the body to react physiologically to make that pleasure eventually unattainable (see, for example, heroin tolerance), while constant happiness is simply unattainable outright per the way I define it.

And then there is happiness. Many people don't experience this outside of childhood, I don't think, and even then arguably the experience is too superficial to be worth giving this name. Happiness is a state that is mostly contentment, but contentment is the state you get while achieving a goal, essentially. It's a completely non-awkward silence with a loved one, where you don't need to talk simply because there's nothing needing to be said; it's the little period after you've perfected that paper or whatever you were working on so diligently and are finally satisfied with how it is. That, in my eyes, is what happiness actually is. The fact that it is closely related to a long process (e.g., writing a paper over the span of several weeks or months) is why it cannot be constant, or even close to constant.

My two cents.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
masquerade189
New Member [01%]
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."- Einstein

For me, a big part of happiness is not lingering on the past or worrying about the future, but enjoying the here and now.
(Granted, I do a lot of planning for the future, but I try not to stress about it).
Old 06-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
NoStoneUnturned
Banned

According to martin seligman and his hippie-based psychology, there are 3 components of happiness. The primary of the 3 being conventional happiness; generally being a happy-go-lucky extrovert, like you see in the movies when when associated with the word "happy".

As such, I don't see how a rational, realistic INTJ can truly be that way. Unless they can make themselves turn extrovert when they need to, or something weird like that.

the other two things that account for happiness are "engagement" and "meaning and purpose". Engagement meaning you are "in the zone" and "one with the music" while doing whatever it is you love to do.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
Kenne936
Member [02%]

happiness, to me, is something you realize you had the moment you lose it.

that sounds like kind of a depressing statement so i'll add this- i'm probably "happy" 20% of the time, which i consider a pretty good percentage

happiness feels like a buzz of constant energy accompanied by effortless extoversion, irrational optimism, and an enveloping feeling of comfort
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #18
RafaelVerolla
New Member [01%]

happiness for me is peace with myself and the future. the feeling that i did things right and nothing will get in the way of mine objective.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #19
Mickehh
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTP

Happiness is (for me sometimes) a good cup of coffee in the morning, some good music, a nice weather outside and just being relaxed, no place to hurry to, just being content about myself and feeling comfort in that place. I would like to have that feeling all the time but it's not possible. In other hand, it makes the times I feel that way more special.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #20
prettypurple
New Member [01%]
Ain't that just like a human? They'll do it to ya every time...
MBTI: INxJ

your heart feels light, the days are brighter, things don't bother you as much, there's a feeling of lightness as well, you smile inside
Old 06-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #21
kosh
Member [10%]

MBTI: intj

I was ridiculously happy a few months ago (due to sleep deprivation and some other things). I can now say I understand how
feels. The overwhelming "good" feeling left no room for pessimism; though I could identify things that would usually bug me. I became super comfortable in everything, and so did as I pleased (not to say I lost empathy or that I was inhibited mentally). There was also a continuous stream of consciousness.

<3 extreme cases in science
Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #22
Kris
Member [27%]
MBTI: ENTP

When I'm happy my mind feels relaxed and all my problems and negative thoughts just seem to dissolve.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #23
Zsych
Core Member [451%]
MBTI: XNTX

Happiness... is an emotional state. A feeling of your life being pleasant, and things going well. The feeling of there being no real roadblocks to your getting the major things you need or desire.

I can actually create a state of happiness by choice.. it is after all just a state of mind. I rarely do. I'm not sure there is any false-happiness, since I'm not sure there is a real-happiness. People value different things, so they have widely diverging reasons for hitting the state they consider happiness.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #24
invicta
Member [36%]

Happiness for me is a feeling of lightness. Pleasures enhanced, and irritations diminished. Optimism prevails, and I am reminded that my stay here does have its redeeming moments.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
themuzicman
Core Member [324%]
I am INTJ.  Your argument is invalid.
Resistance is futile.

Happiness is being content with your present condition.
themuzicman is online

Tags
emotions