Closed Thread
Motivation None
Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Over
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ

Well, others have a problem with me.
The problem is that noone can motivate me, but myself.

If a task makes sense and brings more "+" than "-" (to me of course), then I will do it.

Never in my life my parrents could motivate me. I never spent time learning anything for school. Parents tried all ways to motivate me, from goods to punishing. They failed. I finished my 12 grades in 13 years. School never made sense to me.
I expected that university will be different. It is not.

Anyway, back to the topic. Not only about school, but life and work in general. What I am saying is that I never do anything to please someone. I only please myself for doing a task well. Also, i feel bad if I did a task wrong or made a mistake. I do not need anyone to tell me about my bad performance, I know it myself. Even if someone tells me, they dont make me feel any different.

So the reason why I am writing this is becouse I want to know if it is an INTJ feature to have a completely independant mind, or is it just my awesome personality?

Sorry for my weak english, too lazy to parse my text through a corrector.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
fripping
Member [02%]

MBTI: intp

that's incredibly normal for an intj. consider yourself lucky. nobody can motivate me, including myself
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
terencec
Member [05%]

Originally Posted by Over
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If a task makes sense and brings more "+" than "-" (to me of course), then I will do it.

Never in my life my parrents could motivate me. I never spent time learning anything for school. Parents tried all ways to motivate me, from goods to punishing. They failed. I finished my 12 grades in 13 years. School never made sense to me.

Anyway, back to the topic. Not only about school, but life and work in general. What I am saying is that I never do anything to please someone. I only please myself for doing a task well. Also, i feel bad if I did a task wrong or made a mistake. I do not need anyone to tell me about my bad performance, I know it myself. Even if someone tells me, they dont make me feel any different.

So the reason why I am writing this is becouse I want to know if it is an INTJ feature to have a completely independant mind, or is it just my awesome personality?

I am pretty much like you. However, these days, I am motivated by "fear", e.g. I am worried about my boss bad mouth me later and I could not find a better opportunity in the industrial if I don't do what he wants no matter how stupid I think it is.

In my industrial, (most) people know each other, so it is hard to find another job if I have a bad relationship with my bosses. I wish I knew that in the past!
I have burned many bridges already.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
pinksnout
New Member [01%]

I think that's fairly normal. It's really hard for me to get excited about anything, including school and work. I've been in University for about 6 years now, and have never taken a course past first year lol. The courses I am in are so boring, its hard to get it together just to finish projects and such. I'm hoping once I get to the higher level courses I'll do better. (and it will be more interesting)
Yesterday I was thinking that stuff that I used to be motivated by, no longer motivate me.. I feel stuck in a rut!

As for work.. I hate it... I can't stand it... Id love to go from an entry level job right to the top, but I have no idea how to do that! (My boss is very very incompetent, and if I were actually interested in staying here, I'm sure I would do a much better job!)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Lainy
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTx

The only person who could motivate me at least a little bit was my father, now it depends on me completely and I don't think I've been doing a very good job. Sometimes I feel motivated all of a sudden but it vanishes pretty quickly.

The only class I never miss at university is mathematics, the rest is not very exciting to me, I know it will get a lot better in the next semester because there will be more calculus. I think about quitting everyday but I force myself to stick with it because it's just my laziness speaking and I will definitely regret it later.

My job is pretty good and I enjoy what I do but it's not something you can spend more than 2 years doing unfortunately. I am pretty quiet most of the time but I have a good relationship with my co-workers sometimes.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
clench
Banned

MBTI: INTj

It's hard for us to get motivated, it's not like there are tons of job openings in the military strategist field listed in the paper. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, and I'm nearly 23. The only things I ever feel like doing lately are reading, smoking, and thinking. Not exactly job worthy qualities...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
zibber
Core Member [504%]
reventive avatar remo

Gosh, I thought for a second you had a problem with this :D

I'm the exact same way; I don't see sense in something, good luck trying to get me to do it (for free). Even in jobs, I'm "less eager" (translation: more reluctant) to follow inane commands.
zibber is online
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
Zhen
Veteran Member [87%]
MBTI: infp

I can relate. I think some people don't work well in conventional, conformist or institutional environments. just remember a lot of the most brilliant entrepreneurs and successful business people were the biggest dropkicks in school and uni

At the end of the day if you can fill your life with things that interest you that you are truly passionate about and see a point to doing then that's where you will always be able to find motivation...cheers

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Ribald
New Member [01%]

My problems with motivation ended when I thought about who i want to be in future. Just write down your qualities., posible career paths that are corelated with your studies (I assume that you are on the University you wanted to be) and think what job/s suits you the best. You can also take a test that will help you do that, just talk to your local job advisor. Then start doing something that will bring you closer to your target job. I for example have joined scientific circle at my university where we together prepare for taking Investment Advisor test (it's equivalent of CFA in my country), I have also send some CV and motivation letters to proper departments in various banks to start gaining some job experience early. Anothr option may be finding some expensive hobby, you then will be motivated to have better grades=>to find better job=>to earn more money=>to buy that new and shiny rock climbing boots for 999$ The key is to be passionate about something, but it requires some time, effort and tests to find what it is. You are an INTJ so go and make some plans. Hope that it will help in some way:)
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
enWTFp
Member [16%]
Similarly to physical objects, our self-identities are defined only relatively.
MBTI: eNfp

Isn't everybody now like this? I am too.

I believe it is a cultural issue, even if it seems like it's just your own unique thing.

You cannot really imagine it, I'm sure, but try to see yourself in a world without Internet, or any other media, without easy access to libraries, without many opportunities to gather knowledge.

Your motivation will be affected, guaranteed. We are mostly bored, because we are overwhelmed, and our hunger for knowledge is fed up (effortlessly).

My own cure is to run with heavy shoes.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
John F Kennedy
Member [42%]

MBTI: INtj

[...]

I don't see what's so great about being motivated only by yourself if you can't even motivate yourself through school. Maybe you could use some motivation by others?

Closed Thread