Closed Thread
ENTP - ENFP Differences? entp vs enfp
Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
blatant
Member [10%]
MBTI: intj

I know that F's "feel" while T's "think," and I know that ENTPs and ENFPs are both matches for INTJs.

However, I would like some real-life examples to help me better conceptualize mbti types.

What are some easy ways to tell apart these two types?

Thank you~

Old 05-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Xanthippe
Member [15%]
MBTI: INTP

Well, I think I've had some experience with both types.

The ENTP I knew was very charismatic, a little arrogant, and fond of the spotlight. He was charming in that way that tended to polarise people. He was good at understanding others' motivations, but he also loved to play with ideas. He liked challenging authority and making people uncomfortable. When he felt real emotion, you had to be very perceptive to know. He tended to be volatile at times, he sought thrills, and he never revealed much about himself if possible. He was intellectual, in shape but not athletic, and the sort of actor who plays a narrow range of characters very well. He always seemed indifferent or contemptuous, and he was quite intimidating to some people. He never spoke about the future, and advocated hedonism when questioned about his personal beliefs.

The ENFP I knew was also charming, but he freely admitted that it was an act. He was very open about his vulnerabilities and tended to seek advice. However, I don't think he understood others' motivations and feelings particularly well. He was not intellectual (he used to say I made him feel stupid), but he was athletic and a good actor, within a narrow range. He submitted to authority and tried to make people comfortable. He flirted with everyone and was very confident in general. He was protective of his friends and very approachable. He has a definite plan for the future, and I think he's going to go through with it.

In short, the ENTP liked to mess with people's minds, challenge the status quo, and behave hedonistically; the ENFP tried to make people comfortable, go with the flow, and work toward the future. In conversation, the ENTP generally flaunted his intellect, rarely speaking of his personal life or even bragging about the marijuana-induced revelry he nonetheless enjoyed; the ENFP hid his intellect (despite being fairly smart) in favour of talking about life in general, and he expressed several times his intention to avoid drugs and excessive drinking. The ENFP understood his own emotions, while the ENTP understood those of other people. Both, however, had a faÁade and could be very charming, and neither tended to be judgemental. They both had strange mood swings.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!
MBTI: INTJ

My brother is ENTP and my best friend is ENFP. The differences are fairly obvious when I contrast the two. The behavior can be radically different.

My brother (ENTP) has a very strong pride streak and is relatively competitive (when we were little, it almost drive me insane how competitive he was). He's very quick on his feet with words, and is fairly clever. My brother and I make a great duo when working together, but also make some really intense rivals.

My best friend (ENFP), on the other hand, is much less prideful and focuses more on making people harmonious and comfortable, even when they are causing him pain (which ails me to no end, I want to tell him to sever such ties, but I know he wouldn't unless he figures it out on his own). He will also admit his own faults and ask for advice when he knows he needs it (which is something my brother hesitates to do).

With both my brother and my best friend, we can continually bounce ideas off each other and improve on them. Like with my best friend the other night, we determined that gold-plated Wii's eventually led to incest.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The difference in this case though is my brother is more likely to get competitive about the ideas, and my best friend is not. Additionally, the P was evident in both: Both my brother and my best friend have a tendency to waffle around decisions for a while.

Other differences are mostly superficial: My brother is physically inept, my best friend is not. My brother has a lankier look to him, whereas my best friend is more padded and friendly-looking. However, these are only superficial differences.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
PortInStorm
Veteran Member [74%]
They're just things that people say...
MBTI: INfJ

The two previous posts have been dead on, in my opinion. The ENTP descriptions were very close to the one I knew.

I don't think I've known an ENFP, but the ENTPs I've known are intelligent, charming, want social approval/respect/admiration, very quick-witted, adventurous, and novelty-seeking, on the cusp of the newest thing. They seem to know what motivates others, and what they are thinking.

BUT:
They seem to have no qualms about manipulating others with their powerful insights and charm. They'll probably outwit you, and be two steps ahead. They can be very contemptuous of others who don't 'measure up', they need to be entertained by others to a certain degree, or those others are discarded til needed again. Any rule or promise can be bent or broken if need be, any plans modified.

They are not bad people, but often act in their own best interest when push comes to shove. I can't imagine it being that easy for an ENFP.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
dogwoodlover
Member [47%]

MBTI: ISTP

What PortInStorm said agrees with all of my observations of my ENTP friends.

In a time of despair, an ENFP will comfort you and give you a big hug, while an ENTP will make a joke out of it and hand you a beer.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Freedom Geek
Member [30%]
MBTI: INTx

An ENTP will invent a machine, a ENFP will invent a cult.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
SShack
Core Member [120%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP

Actually, I have come up with ideas for cults, too. I just don't think I could bear to be around the kind of person who would join a cult for too long.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Chronos
Member [08%]

Originally Posted by dogwoodlover
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In a time of despair, an ENFP will comfort you and give you a big hug, while an ENTP will make a joke out of it and hand you a beer.

QFT. Well said. The same goes for the previous summaries, but this one is succint, while still being dead on.

I really like both ENTPs and ENFPs, and have good friends among both types. While both enjoy wild flies of fancy and can be quite charming and gregarious, the main difference lies in their basic attitude towards other people. ENTPs tend to view people and their relationships with them a bit objectively, as more of an intellectual challenge - while ENFPs are more empathic and value genuine connection with others.

At the core, it boils down to the different temperaments; NT vs. NF - read up on those and you'll see the differences straight up.

is a good starting point, although Keirsey's book, Please Understand Me II, remains the ultimate resource. In short, you'll find that although NTs and NFs are both abstract in communication, NTs are utilitarian when it comes to accomplishing their goals, while NFs are cooperative. Of course, that's basically pretty much a more theory-based way of saying what's been said here already - but if you really want to delve down deeper into the differences, I highly recommend Keirsey's book.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Freedom Geek
Member [30%]
MBTI: INTx

Originally Posted by SShack
Actually, I have come up with ideas for cults, too. I just don't think I could bear to be around the kind of person who would join a cult for too long.

Okay:
ENTPs successfully invent machines.
ENFPS successfully invent cults.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Startic
New Member [01%]

MBTI: eNTp

Originally Posted by Freedom Geek
Okay:
ENTPs successfully invent machines.
ENFPS successfully invent cults.

I don't like this much because it goes back to the first thread saying "I know T's think and F's feel" but just by reading through this it seems that the biggest difference is ENFP's are active and into sports and ENTP's are clever and are not physically active as ENFP's.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Merle
Veteran Member [57%]
nostalgia for infinity
MBTI: INTP

My dad is an ENTP and my sister is an ENFP. They're a dynamo of energy when they are together.

The biggest differences that I can see are:
1. My sister is not self-possessed, she's very easily impacted by other's opinions of things and actually needs other's opinions because she finds it very, very difficult to make a decision about something without them. My dad, on the other hand, thinks that whatever he thinks about something is the absolute truth about it. Paradoxically, these completely different traits make them both very naive - my sister will believe almost anything someone tells her, while my dad completely overlooks so much because he ignores what other people tell him.

2. Both of them like debate but for very different reasons: my dad participates in debates like they're a playground for all his random and not-very-well-thought-out theories, he enjoys stirring things up by being contrary and dogmatic, he likes to provoke. For my sister having a debate is a very, very serious matter - it's her way of understanding the world and sorting through all the ideas that she doesn't have a way of synthesising on her own, it's not in any way lighthearted... but it can be fun.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Elfrun
Core Member [268%]
MBTI: entp

Originally Posted by Startic
I don't like this much because it goes back to the first thread saying "I know T's think and F's feel" but just by reading through this it seems that the biggest difference is ENFP's are active and into sports and ENTP's are clever and are not physically active as ENFP's.

Yo-kay. Time for some seriousness here cause I looooove sports and refuse to have that taken away from me!

Extroverted iNtuition can make them sound similar on paper, both ENTPs and ENFPs live in a world of ideas, imagination, spontaneity and possibilities. For them/us the world isnít seen as it is but as it could be, change is embraced and routine is a killer. Interaction with people is the place I see most differences.

Disclaimer, this is my perspective and may not cover all ENTPs or ENFPs, hell, I may even have things wrong, I've never really looked at the differences so *shrug*

An ENFP can be very sensitive and easily discouraged by other people.
As an ENTP its damn near impossible to offend, upset or discourage me.

An ENFP needs to be in contact with people and influence them in a positive way.
As an ENTP I like people but mostly I just want to study them to figure out the human condition.

An ENFP would find it easy to offer sympathy.
As an ENTP I'm capable of empathy, not sympathy.

An ENFP would be more excited about meeting new people.
As an ENTP Iím more excited about new ideas.

An ENFP wants to feel loved and supported.
As an ENTP I want to feel respected and admired.

An ENFP sees things as right vs wrong and ethical vs unethical.
As an ENTP I see things as correct vs incorrect and logical vs illogical.

An ENFP can be quite expressive.
As an ENTP I can be less expressive.

An ENFP is more likely to adapt their emotional expressions to those theyíre interacting with.
As an ENTP Iím more likely to mirror emotional expressions.

An ENFP likes to resonate with what someone else is saying and is more likely to argue using persuasion.
As an ENTP debating is sport and I have no problems switching sides, Iím more likely use facts.

An ENFP would have strong ethics.
As an ENTP many of mine are bendable.

... then I got bored, we both do that.

Feel free to tear apart ENFPs...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
spy4001
Banned

Elfrun, very good. I think very close to spot on. I would add that ENFPs discover ideas via people untill they mature.

As an ENTP I’m more excited about new ideas.

excelent!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
Blues69
Member [04%]

Originally Posted by Vagrant
My brother is ENTP and my best friend is ENFP.

I have an almost identical relationships.

I have a confirmed ENFP friend and a friend who I suspect to be an ENFP. I also strongly suspect my brother of being an ENTP.

My friend generally likes to subdue my intuition when it gets "out of control" (his words). He also doesn't in the least bit argue with any plans I make and has trouble understanding why people view me as strange. If he doesn't like something, he'll tell you to your face.

My brother on the other hand will be VERY laid back most of the time but when he is serious, he will scrutinize my decisions and predictions. If he thinks they're fine then he'll be at ease for the time being and return to his rather careless attitude. He also sees exactly why people view me as strange and will often point it out. He doesn't care about what other people think if he's not in any kind of relationship with.

The best two words I would choose to describe an ENTP are cunning and clever.

The best two words I would choose to describe an ENFP are supporting and expressive.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Empress
New Member [01%]

MBTI: ENTP

I'm going to agree with this... this is pretty much spot on me.

I want to add though....

ENFP accepting in information without actually needing to check the facts
ENTP will accept the new information with research of the topic. I'm also finding out every little detail of whatever is striking my fancy. Why? Because it's more arsenal for future debates. I love to say... "I told you so."

Empress added to this post, 1 minutes and 37 seconds later...

Did I mention ENTP's are sexier?? ha ha.... kiiiidding...
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
MartinH
Member [22%]
MBTI: ENFP

I'll bite - I'm ENFP, with a little f, that can go T depending on the context (I'm a bit more T at work than at home), my wife's also ENFP (strong F), and my closest friend is ENTP (strong T).

I'd agree with most all the differences above.

Originally Posted by Elfrun

An ENFP can be very sensitive and easily discouraged by other people.
As an ENTP its damn near impossible to offend, upset or discourage me.

An ENFP needs to be in contact with people and influence them in a positive way.
As an ENTP I like people but mostly I just want to study them to figure out the human condition.

An ENFP would find it easy to offer sympathy.
As an ENTP I'm capable of empathy, not sympathy.

As an ENTP Iím more excited about new ideas.

An ENFP wants to feel loved and supported.
As an ENTP I want to feel respected and admired.

An ENFP sees things as right vs wrong and ethical vs unethical.
As an ENTP I see things as correct vs incorrect and logical vs illogical.

An ENFP can be quite expressive.
As an ENTP I can be less expressive.

An ENFP is more likely to adapt their emotional expressions to those theyíre interacting with.
As an ENTP Iím more likely to mirror emotional expressions.

An ENFP likes to resonate with what someone else is saying and is more likely to argue using persuasion.
As an ENTP debating is sport and I have no problems switching sides, Iím more likely use facts.

An ENFP would have strong ethics.
As an ENTP many of mine are bendable.

... then I got bored, we both do that.

Feel free to tear apart ENFPs...

I'd say yep, my wife would be described by the first statements, my friend by the second and I'm about half and half.

I replied thinking I was going to disagree a bit, but sadly, no.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
catzmeow
Core Member [169%]

Part of this depends on how strong the F and T is in either the ENTP or the ENFP. I love debate boards, and really tap into my T a great deal on them. I can deliver a serious smack down without letting someone impact me personally, and can be quite logical. But, having said that, Elfrun's assessment was right on, IMO.

An ENFP wouldn't start a cult. That would be unethical. In fact, I'd put that squarely on the ENTPs. They'd learn how to manipulate people, start a cult, enjoy watching their little converts like rats in a cage, and make a lot of money off the entire endeavor.

The ENFPs would start a party planning service or a political party.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Elfrun
Core Member [268%]

Originally Posted by catzmeow
An ENFP wouldn't start a cult. That would be unethical. In fact, I'd put that squarely on the ENTPs. They'd learn how to manipulate people, start a cult, enjoy watching their little converts like rats in a cage, and make a lot of money off the entire endeavor.

The ENFPs would start a party planning service or a political party.

ENTPs would start a political party as well... it may have cult-like aspects is all

Cult are the ENFJ's mo with their sexy, sexy dom Fe that can't be resisted.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
Josephine1012
Veteran Member [78%]

Originally Posted by catzmeow
Part of this depends on how strong the F and T is in either the ENTP or the ENFP. I love debate boards, and really tap into my T a great deal on them. I can deliver a serious smack down without letting someone impact me personally, and can be quite logical. But, having said that, Elfrun's assessment was right on, IMO.

Right on.

I'm in the same boat, I think I show sides of each of those two personality types. So the only way I can identify this for myself is to go through function analysis

Ti vs. Te
Fi vs. Fe

I think Fi vs. Fe difference are most notable in people. Look at how easily the person knows how to grease the social wheels or if it bothers them to really try.

I think I lean towards more of ENFP side, but I had to consider Fi vs. Fe divide to arrive there.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
larkin
Core Member [170%]
MBTI: ENxP

Originally Posted by Josephine1012
I think I lean towards more of ENFP side, but I had to consider Fi vs. Fe divide to arrive there.

A lot of these make sense but this especially. I had not really thought about it, but I do think how openly I share things about myself (or more specifically, don't, always) is why sometimes I identify a bit more with the ENTP side.

The Fe - ENFPs seek connection with others through sharing about themselves. ENTPs, if they do choose to share things about themselves, do so mostly so they can understand you better. A trying to figure you out kind of thing. Maybe a better description, in short: ENFPs seek to be understood, ENTPs seek to understand.

If you ever get the sense around the person that they're holding something back, that they're not telling you everything - that's how you know it's an ENTP, instead of an ENFP. (feel free to weigh in, of course - like many ENTPs, this is just a draft.)

Might also explain the curious lack of trust of ENTPs - again, I've never thought of the desire to know and understand as being necessarily motivated by something negative, although of course it could be. But the fact that their cards are usually not all on the table is enough to cause some distrust, I think.

As a side note about the cults - most of the people who found cults, L. Ron Hubbard excepted maybe, don't think they're doing it to purposely manipulate people. They think they're helping people find out something meaningful about themselves, or bringing them to a higher truth...that's why I think cults *are* probably more the domain of the ENFP. The ENTP would just start a pyramid scheme. (Okay, maybe also a cult. Am I undermining the "we're not all evil people" speech I gave a paragraph ago?)...but I *never* trust people who claim they're pious, or doing something for a higher cause. Then all of their behavior becomes justified. Maybe that is the ENTP side.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
Elfrun
Core Member [268%]

Originally Posted by larkin
Maybe a better description, in short: ENFPs seek to be understood, ENTPs seek to understand.

Works for me. While I want to understand others I resist being understood myself, it takes considerable effort to get to know me irl because of this.

Might also explain the curious lack of trust of ENTPs - again, I've never thought of the desire to know and understand as being necessarily motivated by something negative, although of course it could be. But the fact that their cards are usually not all on the table is enough to cause some distrust, I think.

Lack of trust? I can honestly say this is something that while I've seen plenty of talk about ENTPs not being trustworthy on the internet I've never experienced it irl, ever. My morals can be flexible but that's only cause there is always another perspective to be considered that can change them, if anything I've experienced the opposite, my desire to know other people, not just talk for the sake of talking, makes me seem more trustworthy cause it looks like I care.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
Maayan
Member [27%]
An avocado is the fruit of Queens, coffee is the King of beans. The ducks go quack.
MBTI: ENFJ

Originally Posted by dogwoodlover

I can vouch for that. When I broke down crying in my translation seminar last term, my ENTP friend acted like there was nothing out of the ordinary going on and took me out for a beer after class. When I asked him if I could have a hug, he told me, "You got a leaky faucet? I'm your handy man. But I don't do any of that touchy-feely stuff." In high school, my other ENTP friend would produce hard candies and give me a solid pat on the back.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #23
rain
Member [24%]

ENFPs are very shy and come off as introverts in social settings. ENTPs are the opposite
Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #24
PHS Philip
Veteran Member [91%]
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
MBTI: iNtP

Originally Posted by rain
ENFPs are very shy and come off as introverts in social settings. ENTPs are the opposite

I dunno, that doesn't mesh with what I've seen.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
Elfrun
Core Member [268%]

Originally Posted by rain

Heh, no. Dom Ne is pretty introverted in the social sense of the word and shared by ENxPs meaning both can appear introverted in that sense.

Closed Thread

Tags
entp vs enfp