Calling All INTJs Who Work in Marketing careers
Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Jenava
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INxJ

What area of marketing do you work in? Do you find the work to be "big picture" enough? What do you like and dislike, specifically, about your work? Do you often find yourself working with types who don't understand you?

I just switched jobs from Software Development to Marketing. I am currently in Database Marketing as an analyst and have become boooored. I basically use SQL and other software to pull address lists for special events. We also "analyze" the effectiveness of our catalogs (in a not-very-scientific way, IMO). I work on a "team" where other people do more advanced analytics and such for the executives and merchandising areas (it's a national US depts. store chain). I want to work in that area, I think, or in the market research area, which is why I took this job (seemed entry level - but now I realize it is too entry level).

The one thing I am really worried about is that I will have even more trouble getting along and/or being understood by people in this area than in IT. This has definitely already happened, but I am wondering if it's somewhat systemic problem (not many INTJs in marketing) or just the company/culture that I happen to be in.

I'm also worried that Marketing might not be, you know, big picture enough for me. If I were in Research it would kill me to have my findings ignored...to me the work is only interesting if it influences strategy and yields improved results.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
nacht
Core Member [141%]
"A group of INTJs is an argument."
MBTI: INTJ

Unless you are in Market Research you are probably going to find marketing boring. I used to configure targeted marketing software (E.piphany's Outbound Marketing tool) for companies, and I would find the process of using it every day mind numbingly boring unless I was given the flexibility to use it for market research (configuring it was bad enough, and I saw exactly what they wanted to use it for, which is not market research in any kind of reasonable capacity). Simply generating target lists and reporting based on a set of predefined metrics would bore me to tears.

Now market research and business intelligence, on the other hand, can be quite interesting if you like data analysis. It is research, which appeals to your introverted side, and is about trying to get a big picture from a set of numbers, which appeals to your intuitive base.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
smashy
Member [17%]

I work in Direct Marketing and my job is to develop and implement segmented direct marketing campaigns in order to increase lead generation (affiliate marketing) or client retention (CRM), online and offline campaigns. I do my own market and data research and analysis but I also use the research done by data analysts.

Personally, I find pure data analysis boring. I mean, it's good to have the analysis, but I'm very hands on as well and I like to apply my research into something that gets results. I love what I do because I can use the analysis combined with creativity and strategical thinking (all INTJ traits).

I think you're on the wrong environment and wrong job basically. Data analysis is very entry-level and can be boring for people that like to be challenged. I think you would be better in a more market research and integrated marketing role, where you have to research the market, competitors, trends, etc, but also use your strategical thinking and can combine various channels to implement your strategies. I use online marketing (email campaigns, newsletters, websites, social media, viral marketing) and also offline channels as well like events. Basically depending on the strategy you combine different channels. I like the challenge of my job. And because I take ownership of my role, I can take decisions. I understand what you mean having other people not understanding you, but I think it's because you're in the wrong environment. In Marketing, you HAVE to see the big picture in order to do successful campaigns, you have to antecipate scenarios, cross information and so on.

Believe me, marketing is much more challenging that what you're doing now.
If I were in Research it would kill me to have my findings ignored as well, that's why I choose a role where I use the research into something valuable.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Jenava
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INxJ

This has been insightful.

Smashy, Your jobs sounds like what I'm looking for. What was your career path?

There is a group of people at my company in my same group that do Market Research, but not the advanced analytic modeling stuff so much. They work directly with Merchandisers to develop strategy. Of course, they're still not implementing, but it's closer to implementation than the guys in advanced analytics.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
smashy
Member [17%]

Originally Posted by Jenava
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
This has been insightful.

Smashy, Your jobs sounds like what I'm looking for. What was your career path?

There is a group of people at my company in my same group that do Market Research, but not the advanced analytic modeling stuff so much. They work directly with Merchandisers to develop strategy. Of course, they're still not implementing, but it's closer to implementation than the guys in advanced analytics.

Usually the guys that do data analysis are I.T. guys, not marketers. They just do the metrics and the stats, they analyse the consumer behaviour on the CRM software, and then it's the marketer job to convert the data analysis into meaningful marketing insight. For example, suppose the data analyists say to you that a especific group of customers spend more online on a Wednesday night between 8 and 11pm. Then the marketer takes that info to develop strategies and campaigns, like for example developing some special offer for that group of people.

The market researchers, on the other hand, research the market, the competitors, the trends, etc, and also provide the marketer with this info. Then it's the marketer job to cross information between the stats, the market research and the product/services goals in order to develop successful campaigns. Like, using the example I gave you before, doing a special offer for that group of people that will compete directly with something that a competitor is doing.

Sometimes I do my own data analyisis and market research because were I work we don't have full-time people doing this and sometimes I need info I don't have so I go and get it myself. But data analysis is boring (at least for me) and although market research is interesting, I like to use my strategical thinking and apply what I research into developing something.

I started working in marketing several years ago, developing product campaigns, then I lost my job and had an opportunity to go into recruitment which I never liked and then return to marketing 3 years ago. At this moment, I'm especializing in online marketing (with some offline as well). It's challenging and stressful sometimes, but I love the thrill of a new campaign, the possibility to be creative and analysing the results afterwards.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
arnbkr
New Member [01%]

Hi Jenava - I am an Associate Brand Manager for a multinational. Basically I and the Brand Manager are responsible for all aspects of a particular brand. This means we are in control of pricing, margins, promotions, product development, packaging, distribution, and a slew of many other things. Its a very srategic type of position and there are actually two other INTJ's on the team, that I know of. I like my work and find it rewarding, but the politics of a big company really drag on me and my manager does not allow me the freedom that I really excel in. Personally, I am an extreme iNtuition, to a fault probably, but this is a key strength for my work. Basically, I have to always be looking at the bigger picture for the brand as well as what should be occuring in the future. Sure, there are times where you have to dive into mind-numbing details (packaging design), but it's not too much. Many of the others in marketing view their roles as 'fluffy' or 'pie in the sky' type of marketing. I view my job as a game of Risk, strategically placing my pieces on the board (product, promotions) and making moves that get me to an eventual goal (market share, volume, profitability). Anyways, if this sounds interesting you should do some more research.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Max T
Member [13%]

Originally Posted by Jenava
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
What area of marketing do you work in? Do you find the work to be "big picture" enough? What do you like and dislike, specifically, about your work?

For more views on whether INTJs fit with marketing:

Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
BobetteKyle
New Member [01%]

I totally agree with smashy and arnbkr (down to the point about politics of a big company dragging you down)! Marketing can be very fulfilling to an INTJ. You are in the wrong environment.

A little about my career history...I worked my way up from a Marketing Analyst, Assistant Product/Brand Manager, Brand Manager, Marketing Manager in one company, then became VP Marketing of another, small company (also in charge of research/new product development). Eventually I went out on my own and now specialize in website promotion, marketing planning, and strategy.

Part of the issue in any particular job is how that company defines marketing. In reality, marketing encompasses everything involved with the product/service/company you are in charge of - the exact product itself, promotion of it, the channels it is distributed through, and its pricing. In short, the entire creation and execution of the big picture strategy surrounding it. That's very fulfilling to (this) INTJ.

Some see marketing as only advertising or other small slice of the picture and IMO that's what you might want to stay away from because any particular slice can be boring, tedious, or a huge mis-match. Consider the career path, though. A tedious/boring entry-level position can grow into one that is very fulfilling.

The other thing to look out for is companies that see "sales and marketing" as the same function...some don't "get" strategy so think it's all about face-to-face sales. So ***NOT*** the place for an INTJ.

Do you often find yourself working with types who don't understand you?

I did find I was very different in some ways to those I worked with in marketing. Typically, they were more interested in the creative itself (package design, advertising campaigns, etc) while I was into analyzing and the strategy. But we got along well because we were all committed to our careers and to the marketing process. That held us together as a group. I would guess the experience could be different depending on the people.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
jkatra
Core Member [920%]
"Thanks to great leaders such as... Genghis Khan, Joan of Arc and Socratic Method, the world is full of history." - Ted

I've worked in the competitive intelligence and marketing research field for about 8 years now in the insurance industry. It's great stuff when an INTJ can look at the big picture and have input into strategic formulations. However, I don't get to actually create the strategies myself - I just provide input into the process that shapes it, and that can be dissatisfying. It's challenging for me to even be able to give strategic recommendations - they just want analytical insight at the management level here.

I also work in an industry where there are 10 major competitors and no new entrants into the market, so it can be somewhat boring because the market is relatively stable. There is a ton of pricing data to analyze, but we actually do product development only once every 3 to 5 years. I'm starting work on my MBA so I can drive strategy in a different industry in the future. I did recently lead a team where we created the first database marketing project in our business unit. The database marketing project is interesting, but it's challenging to get tons of good actionable insight out of it in my opinion.

Tags
careers