Introverted Alphas introversion, traits
Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
alphawolf
Veteran Member [59%]
MBTI: INFJ

It is said that most CEOs in the USA are INTJ. You don't succeed as a CEO if you're not Alpha, at least not in my opinion.

Do people have the conception that being Alpha requires being extroverted? Or does the successful INTJ understand how and know when to flip on the E in order to exude power, force, and authority?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Jinxu
Banned

MBTI: InTj

Originally Posted by alphawolf
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It is said that most CEOs in the USA are INTJ. You don't succeed as a CEO if you're not Alpha, at least not in my opinion.

Do people have the conception that being Alpha requires being extroverted? Or does the successful INTJ understand how and know when to flip on the E in order to exude power, force, and authority?

I'm leaning towards the latter. Maybe you've heard of the term extroverted introverts?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Sean O
Member [20%]
MBTI: ENFJ

Being "alpha" is more of an attitude, in my opinion. It comes from a certain belief about who you are, what you're capable of accomplishing, and what you deserve. A mindset like that can easily exist in both extroverts and introverts. Extroverts probably flaunt it more, though.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
krapyrubsnif
Member [05%]
MBTI: INFP

Or the term confident introverts. Ones that might inwardly process, but are so confident externally they give of the opposite impression.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
pocohauntus
Member [29%]

MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by Sean O
Being "alpha" is more of an attitude, in my opinion. It comes from a certain belief about who you are, what you're capable of accomplishing, and what you deserve.

The alpha's I've known have been the opposite.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Sean O
Member [20%]

Perhaps they were just projecting the image of being an alpha, then? And not feeling that way on the inside? How an "alpha male" is defined probably varies from person to person, anyway.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
pocohauntus
Member [29%]

Originally Posted by Sean O
Perhaps they were just projecting the image of being an alpha, then? And not feeling that way on the inside?

I think this answers that.

Or does the successful INTJ understand how and know when to flip on the E in order to exude power, force, and authority?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Sean O
Member [20%]

I see. I think this gets back to what I said before about how an alpha male is defined according to different people. To some it's a matter of overt behaviour. To others, it's a mindset. In my experience, the alpha mindset often translates into overt behaviour, anyway, but overt behaviour doesn't always imply the mindset.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!

Most alphas I know have an arrogance about them -- could easily be an XNTJ or XSTJ. In that respect, the introversion and extroversion really doesn't play much of a factor.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
dissident
Member [09%]
Introverted: 78%
Intuitive: 88%
Thinking: 38%
Judging: 22%
MBTI: INTX

there are two types of alphas really... physical alphas, the ones that use their brute force primitive appearance to their advantage... they attract females just because of the way they look, without even having to try, and psychological alphas, or alphas that just have a charm about them that seems to attract everyone around them.

I work with a psychological alpha. He's not the best looking... average, but his interpersonal skills with the ladies are bar none the best I have ever seen. He is nice, yet confident... he's a mixture of things that you don't find too often in men, and he's highly extroverted. He literally knows 80% of the people in the plant by name, compared to my 1%. LOL

What is an alpha, anyways? I guess everyone's definition differs. Perhaps alpha prime could chime in here.

Neither of these above two really describe an introverted alpha, one who is just confident of themselves without the need to flaunt it.. when people think of alphas, they usually think of leaders in the spotlight...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Lantigua
Member [02%]

I know I often do this with much ease.

When I need to take control, when I need to be charismatic, I simply do what has to be done.

Having said that, I notice that people naturally develop a deep sense of respect towards me, despite my inherent introversion. I'm known as the quiet one, but everyone listens and greatly value what I have to say.

And that's with me being myself, because when I have to exert control over someone or a group of people; I definitely get their attention and respect with little or no challenge to my authority.

So yes, an INTJ can definitely understand how and when to "flip the E" in order to gain control of a situation/other people.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
pocohauntus
Member [29%]

Originally Posted by dissident
there are two types of alphas really... physical alphas, the ones that use their brute force primitive appearance to their advantage... they attract females just because of the way they look, without even having to try, and psychological alphas,
when people think of alphas, they usually think of leaders in the spotlight...

Most people do. But in my earlier post I was thinking more in terms of the physical alphas that you've described here.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #13
ranwayslo
Member [19%]

I guess that I fit into this category. Everyone at work believes that I am extremely confident and type A.

See either the two face thread or do you divide your life thread for examples of this. I am not a social butterfly which is why I test introverted. At work I must be willing to be a an active part of the group so I am. I find that most people around me for whatever reason sit around and wait for someone to make decisions. So I fill this role. If it goes badly I take sole responsibility and if it goes well I tend to give the credit to someone else because I don't like the attention. It creates kind of an odd paradox. I have been highly successful and often promoted in every job I have held, but given the choice I always choose to work alone.

Any ways that is my two cents worth.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
wunderkind
New Member [01%]

It is said that most CEOs in the USA are INTJ.

I would rather doubt about this. Can you please provide some source/research supporting this claim. thnx

Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
burazekun
Member [08%]

In many situations I find myself in a position of Alpha, or competing for it if I believe the other individual is not competent. I grasp the idea firmly that I am a introvert, and in fact I know I am because I reflect internally and say only what is needed to be said when I believe it needs to be said.

Some people learn that I am a depository of knowledge, and take in many many more things then what most preceive. These individuals ask frequently the fruit of my knowledge as it can be said, lol. It's annoying to be honest, but when a honest question is asked, I feel inclined to answer.

If I know something of it, or can form a rational theory I give them an answer quickly. I am frequently told that my confidence in my answers baffles many people. And in a sense they see my confidence in a alpha sense.

I dont mind taking control of a situation, but I am not one to speak more then I have to. (Unless I am stressed, then I find my self rambling on.)

My confidence when I know I can do something better is what makes me an alpha I beleive.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #16
ToC
Member [21%]

I read somewhere that INTJs dress to give a certain impression... which is true of me. I also change my body language, voice, word choice, etc. to project a certain image. I don't see why the same couldn't be said of INTJ CEOs.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
Deliberator
Core Member [122%]

I never hesitate to communicate on business matters. In that situation I know what to say and how to say it to get my point across. I feel empowered knowing that I call the shots, and in that situation I am as outspoken as any extrovert.

The introversion comes from not wanting to "feel" with other people, and with wanting to spend a generous amount of time with my own thoughts. If other people become tools (employees) or even walking problems to solve (patients) I communicate wonderfully with them.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #18
hallucinogen
New Member [01%]

With conviction and purpose, I make a great introverted alpha. I am concise and eloquent in my words so I come cross very well to someone who's on my same level of intelligence. I just wish I had the internal push to be like this more often...
Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #19
jcb
Member [08%]
I keep a close watch on this heart o' mine...I keep my eyes wide open all the time.

Originally Posted by Lantigua
I know I often do this with much ease.

When I need to take control, when I need to be charismatic, I simply do what has to be done.

Having said that, I notice that people naturally develop a deep sense of respect towards me, despite my inherent introversion. I'm known as the quiet one, but everyone listens and greatly value what I have to say.

And that's with me being myself, because when I have to exert control over someone or a group of people; I definitely get their attention and respect with little or no challenge to my authority.

So yes, an INTJ can definitely understand how and when to "flip the E" in order to gain control of a situation/other people.

i live in a house with two other men who are very alpha, in the physical sense. however when push comes to shove (not literally) they shut their holes and listen. not due to any type of force on my behalf, it just seems to be that my demeanor, means of articulating myself etc causes people to respect and be drawn to me.

it's like this in pretty much all facets of my life, but i am the quietest guy you could meet generally - until i either choose, or am required, not to be.

its all in the delivery. people skills combined with the intj/rational type is the most potent personality type i've seen.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
Chain
Member [08%]

Do people have the conception that being Alpha requires being extroverted?

Defining Alpha as a leader? Usually. I've even seen it said that INTJ's can't possibly be 8w7's because they're introverts and stick to themselves. I'd say these people have never seen one "on a mission."

Or does the successful INTJ understand how and know when to flip on the E in order to exude power, force, and authority?

I'd say so. I know I tend to go into E mode when I break out the steam roller.

When I feel that I require compliance, I do what's necessary to obtain it. Sometimes that takes an E approach, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #21
Valiyn
Veteran Member [52%]

Originally Posted by Chain
I've even seen it said that INTJ's can't possibly be 8w7's because they're introverts and stick to themselves.

Where are these people? I need to introduce myself to them, maybe hit them over the head with some books if they still don't believe people like me exists. In the mean time, I just need their address so I know where to send my minions.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
thiagofralves
Member [10%]

Well, for me the extrovert alphas are liars. They are very insecure inside and they hide it very, very well. I've met quite a few of them, it is easy to unmask them.

The introvert alphas can be quite arrogant, but they are very, very secure, even more than people may think they are.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
vertex
Member [10%]

Been a while since I've posted on this forum but this is a topic I can definitly relate to.

I find that being INTJ and having alpha traits works perfectly to run a company. Being introverted is not a great thing when you have to sell and meet people - but for planning, finding talent, and calling the shots while maintaining a vision, oh boy!

I have met people who say that being alpha and INTJ don't mesh, but honestly they don't know what they are talking about, I feel.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #24
universalis
Banned

Do people have the conception that being Alpha requires being extroverted?

I am INTJ and CEO of a technology company (100+ employees).

CEO's are obviously alpha's since they lead men and others follow and listen to them in the tribe of the company.

I disagree that most CEO's are INTJ though. I suspect a much higher correlation with ENTJ and the position of CEO. Some evidence to suggest this is a
where ENTJ has the highest income.

False statements:
- Being alpha require extroversion
- To exude power and authority one must act "extroverted"

Think "The Emperor" in the Star Wars franchise. I prefer to interface with the management team (small numbers) than the rest of the employees. I also outsource much of the marshalling people and discipline to the ENTJ GM.

Strength and power is in the mind and allows us to exude influence on the world around us in order to affect change according to our will.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #25
PeterIMC
Member [20%]

Acting is certainly something I use to lead. That just means I am showing a behavior that is not natural. But I only say it's not natural because I usually already imagined a situation before it happens and my behavior in those situations is planned and I thought it through very well.

It's definitely not a change in personality, but acting a certain way to reach a goal,... well that's just the logical thing to do, isn't it?

By the way, where did you get that information that most CEO's are INTJ's?

Tags
introversion, traits