View Poll Results: What's more important? Money or enjoyment?
Making money is more important. 12 7.10%
Doing something you enjoy is more important. 85 50.30%
They're both equally important. 72 42.60%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

What's more important to you: money or enjoyment? None
Old 02-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Sean O
Member [20%]
MBTI: ENFJ

As much as we'd all love to be able to make a monster salary from making our passion(s) into a career, it's not always realistic to do so, and a compromise is usually necessary. I'm just curious to see how you guys weigh the importance of making money in your career against doing something you really enjoy.

I personally weigh them equally. On the one hand, I think I'd be miserable if I was stuck in a job that I just did not enjoy doing, even if I was making lots of money in the process. On the other hand, pursuing a passion, but not being able to pay the bills and/or lead a comfortable lifestyle, would probably also make me unhappy. So I think having a balance of the two is the best solution.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Jonathan Brewer
Core Member [136%]
MBTI: xxxx

It is difficult to enjoy anything when financial strapped. I have this on "very" good authority.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
smashy
Member [17%]
MBTI: INTJ

I think both are important, but if I had to choose I would choose love for my job over money. Basically what I'm doing at the moment is doing what I love, gain experience and curriculum in order for my salary to get better and better over time. I believe this is the way to go.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Homini Lupus
Member [30%]
Me ne frego.

If I could do a boring job for a very high salary I would go for it in order to gain a good basis of economic security (buy an house, get a pension, save some money) and then look for something more compatible with my individuation. Individuation is my long term objective but it cannot be achieved without first satisfying my more material needs (I can survive a relatively austere life but I need security and enough cash to buy a new computer when the need arises).
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
4sakentears
New Member [01%]

I'd rather had a job I enjoy, but with a pay which is enough for my needs + some savings than a high-paying job which would require me to do anything I don't like to/goes against my personal ethics.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
BostonIan
Member [32%]

For me, joy is pretty even and independently of anything. Money is something I lack and require for a potential mate's security. For me, money = wife and babies; I want all three.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
Monte314
Core Member [506%]
Chief Scientist; Adjunct Full Professor of Computer Science; six times Who's Who in the World; national, state Advisory Panels; author of two books, many papers; Jedi Math Dog

Amazing how difficult it was to answer this question. It's been a long time since I've felt strapped for cash, but I do remember how uncomfortable it was. But I also know that I am able to do work I wouldn't normally enjoy if I recognize its value.

I guess I'm trying to go both ways: money, and fun.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
Jonathan Brewer
Core Member [136%]

Well the problem is while absorbed in the work you love you will inevitably be happy. However you will eventually have to emerge from that and face the more mundane concerns of life. If you attempt to avoid the former in order to fulfill the latter you will feel incomplete. If on the other hand you succeed at the former at the expense of the latter... you starve to death.

Perhaps I am too pragmatic. Or maybe it's just because I have kids and don't have the freedom to be as selfish as I would prefer. But is it selfish if you are alone?

I wouldn't think so.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Sheepdog
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTP

Most people work at least 40 hrs per week and it would be horrible to spend that amount of time doing something you don't like. I would first try to pursue careers that I would enjoy doing and find out the market value for such jobs. I think that will lead to more ultimate happiness in the long run rather than going primarily for the highest paying job.

If you think about it this is actually a big part of the decision making process for college student looking to pick a major. They tend to pick majors based off of perceived salaries for future jobs even if they don't particularly enjoy it. On the other hand, you will have individuals going after what they are passionate about even though it might result in more difficulty a securing good paying job.

If you can do what you like while making enough to cover basic living expenses plus some disposable income that's a solid start.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
llBradll
Veteran Member [73%]
Thank you for your time.
MBTI: XNTj

Since I think that money is used for enjoyment it would automatically assume the lesser role because it is used to achieve the other.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
callmemigs
Member [16%]

Making money without using it for practical and charitable purposes is futile.
Making money for the sake of buying things you enjoy (in my case, MANGA!!!) is a must (at least for me).

But of course, a job is worth it if you really are enjoying what you are doing and you know you are doing something for the improvement of society.

So I have to say money is important not for the sake of wealth, but for the sake of convenience and survival. Enjoyment is also important because it whats makes things worth it.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Arminius
Member [08%]
"Quinctilius Varus, give me back my Legions!" -Caesar Augustus

It depends on the options available. I'll have a hard time enjoying myself if I can't eat regularly and don't have a roof over my head. It is better to do something you enjoy than be paid well, but there is a cut off point where it is better to take the job you don't like that much.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Jonathan Brewer
Core Member [136%]

Originally Posted by Arminius
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It depends on the options available. I'll have a hard time enjoying myself if I can't eat regularly and don't have a roof over my head. It is better to do something you enjoy than be paid well, but there is a cut off point where it is better to take the job you don't like that much.

Exactly how I feel. I'd do something I love for $60k a year but not for $20k. I'd do something I hate for $120k but only if I couldn't do what I love for $60k. Make sense?

OF COURSE IT DOES!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As it is I am doing something I hate for $30k so...

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Rudy
Administrator
A human, touch.
MBTI: INfJ

You can't say that either one completely trumps the other. Enjoyment has a certain utility value to it that, added to the actual monetary compensation for a job, creates the actual value that you get from a job. There are a few other factors too, such as the value of the experience gained from a job, or the value of the social connections you make there. Salary + Enjoyment + Experience + Connections = Value of job.

Both salary and enjoyment, then, can compensate for each other to some degree.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
ToC
Member [21%]

This is like asking a tree "would you rather have sunlight or CO2?" I'd like to do both. I need money to enjoy myself.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Jonathan Brewer
Core Member [136%]

Originally Posted by Rudy
Salary + Enjoyment + Experience + Connections = Value of job.

Originally Posted by ToC
This is like asking a tree "would you rather have sunlight or CO2?".

Wow.

Two magnificent points and so close together. The universe is likely to implode. Brace for impact.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
Bobert
Member [41%]
Too abstract for most INTJ's.

The poll cannot be answered without more details. The poll is simple sounding enough, but leaves out too many realistic & philiosphic issues. There are no givens stated.

example
Anti-depressants make you happy. But no money = no anti-depressants.
Therefore money makes you happy. (in this oversimplified example)
Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
putupon
Member [07%]

Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer
It is difficult to enjoy anything when financial strapped. I have this on "very" good authority.

^ This. Money is a stressor. I need to know I have enough to take care of my needs and responsibilities before I can focus on what I really want to do, and do it well. Doing okay now, but I remember the lean times. Like Jonathan says, it’s hard to enjoy anything when the wolf’s at the door.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Sean O
Member [20%]

Originally Posted by Bobert
Anti-depressants make you happy. But no money = no anti-depressants.

You're just saying that because you live in the US. Many countries with universal health care will provide drug plans that cover at least 80-90% of the cost of prescription drugs, if not 100%.

Anyway, the whole point is to consider all the possibilities in which money, and whether you enjoy your work or not, can contribute to overall happiness, and then give a "best fit" answer.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Bobert
Member [41%]
Too abstract for most INTJ's.

It was just an example.

But I must say that your poll came at an interesting time for me. I'm choosing between two business ideas. One with probable good income but a lot of work and limited personal satisfaction, the other with creative satisfaction but a higher chance of failure.

I'm going through business plans to see if that helps me to decide.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #21
lamplighter
Veteran Member [70%]
This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord!

I have to count both equally since there are too many factors to consider. If I had my choice between a job that loved in which my annual income topped out between $30K - $100k a year, or an irritating and boring job that was $100k+, I'd pick the job I loved. If it's between a job I loved that was $30k- a year or a bad job that was $100k+, then I'd have to go with the bad job. I just figure $30k - $100k is a reasonable amount to live on by yourself with consistent pay, so if this was satisfied then I'd pick the job I loved over making more money, having both would be nice but how many people get that pleasure?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
Nikita
Core Member [555%]
MBTI: INTP

Enjoyment hands down. I only need enough money to meet my financial obligations at the bare minimum level. Beyond that, I'm good.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #23
Soobpar
Member [05%]
MBTI: INtj

Both. I couldn't enjoy doing something for a living if I wasn't making a decent wage.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
andrewsk
New Member [01%]

MBTI: intj

u should ask urself which one of them is u want to..if u choise any one of them then the another one will be ur problem and u have face it or u fix it
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #25
dalidaisy
Core Member [136%]
Don't burn the day...

Enjoyment is far more important to me. Money doesn't mean much. I can live on very little. I've had lots of it & I've had none. Some of the best times of my life were when I was homeless in a foreign country.

Money buys nice things, but the joy in those is fleeting. Status is a joke. I prefer to live simply. I want to do something for a living that I love & that pays enough to keep me & my family comfortable (which isn't a lot).

I just really want to enjoy my time here. I don't think money will buy that.