Certain "bad" noises make you angry or annoyed None
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
sMoKeY
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTJ

Anyone experience this? For example the vacuum cleaner is my enemy not because it cleans but the noise really irritates me to a point where I cannot remain in the same room as the vacuum. Also when at a place with alot of people cheering and screaming eveyone around me is okay but I get really annoyed. The worst one is when people scream past on a motorbike or car on the road at the back of my house, that sometimes causes a short and sharp burst of anger and I hope the person crashes into a brick wall for being so indecent. I do not know if this is an INTJ thing or a disease.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Chronos
Member [08%]

Well, I really hate loud engine noises - especially those of motorbikes. Can't think of any other examples though.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Synapse
Core Member [116%]
"Life is too important to take seriously." --Wilde
MBTI: ENTJ

Velcro is terribly annoying for some reason, and loud obnoxious children and babies are annoying as hell...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Zombicide
Core Member [120%]

MBTI: INTj

I use to feel the same way about motor cycles but now I try to take these noises in stride. Funny thing, many people say they can't sleep with loud noise but I've never had that problem so it's difficult to relate to that. The sound of typing keys annoys some people but I don't get it, I can't think of many noises that generally annoy me, there are pretty much none, I can usually concentrate even with an alarm {clock, fire, siren etc} going off.

One noise that still bothers me is, well, any sound that is produced by my mother, they are all inducing of homicidal thought, especially the sound of her nagging. My older and younger siblings can visit her all they want, I avoid it.

Hearing her is like Alex hearing Ludwig Von's 9th, only with that one and a different cidal in mind.

Otherwise a strange thing that I've noticed is that I actually rather enjoy sounds that other people find annoying e.g. the violin or nails on chalk board.

Aside from hearing something distracting when I'm trying to hear something else, pretty much none of it bothers me. . .well, except for hearing loud mouth idiots droning on, that much is grotesque actually.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
citationneeded
Member [03%]

I can not tolerate the sound of scratching vinyl or nylon. Sends shivers down my spine.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
rara avis
Core Member [163%]
MBTI: INTP

The sound of people chewing, and certain food-related words, can make me irrationally furious. It's amazing, I don't usually have much of a temper. When I was a kid, I could hardly handle it, I felt violent. Thankfully I've learned to cope as an adult... that'd be awkward at a business lunch...

Also, sometimes really loud noises - really constant or really sudden. I get wired out.

It's funny how deeply offended I feel by these things. Like someone has absolutely trespassed against me.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
azelismia
Core Member [166%]
Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

If it's a disease I have it. screaming babies/kids/people hammering loud music, basically any loud noise infuriates me.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Mathnerdkid
Banned

completly vacuum cleaners! It might be a tone issue, hmm.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Frag
Member [13%]

Originally Posted by rara avis
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Like someone has absolutely trespassed against me.

In a way, I think this is true.

I for one, get pulled out of my head by these intrusive noises, and that is what is particularly annoying. And often its impossible to get my train of thought or daydream back.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
randuincanus
Member [03%]
Ni>Te~Ne>Ti~Se>Fi~Si>Fe

Originally Posted by rara avis
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The sound of people chewing, and certain food-related words, can make me irrationally furious.

Yay, I'm not the only one!
(well, ok, my sister is worse that I am, but still)

That and !@#$ florescent bulbs.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
ZzyzxRd
New Member [01%]
The most horrifying idea is that what we believe with all our hearts is not necessarily the truth.

I hate it when colleagues click their pens non stop during class.
It irritates the hell out of me. I also hate the sound that texting produces, those key pads are so annoying.................... I also get fed up easily with people who turn their music REAL LOUD in a public setting - Very, very inconsiderate.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
Sesshoumaru
Member [06%]

For the most part I can block out sounds, when I'm in a bad mood though any sort of repetitive sound gets on my nerve.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
JoshuaFairtex
Member [06%]

Someone chewing really loudly really bothers me, as I can't comprehend what their thought process is while even doing it, like don't they realize that they sound disgusting? I just don't understand it lol, however my main noise is biting forks/scraping forks on a plate... not only does it irritate me but it actually puts me in pain, the noise feels like it vibrates in my teeth and physically causes me pain and sends a shiver down my spine. I use to wear construction ear protection to the dinner table because it was so unbearable, now I just no longer eat at the table which has solved the problem, however whenever someone is doing it I tend to sarcastically ask if they would like some condiments for the fork they are trying to eat.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
darkeldar88
Member [05%]

Glass being scratched with something like sand or dirt. Cant stand that noise
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
ClydeB
Veteran Member [83%]
I have not yet begun to think of something to put here.
MBTI: INTx

Clocks ticking, or any other repetitive ticking noise like that.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #16
xrockinrobin
New Member [01%]

Haha; this relates to me exceedingly well. My mother gets a thrill from talking louder than necessary on the phone and I typically just a clench a palm with a slight eye twitch as I wait for it to pass. It's the same deal when someone next to me in class is tapping their pencil/ fingers against their desk while I'm trying to concentrate, and also with the 'chewing loudly' thing. Geeeez; you kinda get irritated just thinking about it
Old 01-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #17
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!

Metal scratching along ceramics drives me nuts. Sends shivers down my spine.

Babies crying are annoying as all hell. I just want to make them shut up.

Excessively loud (like eardrum popping) noises annoy the hell out of me too. I always make sure to wear really good soundproofed headphones when I go shooting.

Other than that, not much gets to me.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #18
SmileyMan
Member [08%]

I hate the sound that vacuum cleaners make. It makes me angry and very annoyed. I also hate when morons listen to music on their cellphone without using a headset. The shitty sound quality, large volume and their horrible taste in music makes me want to torture them.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #19
zibber
Core Member [509%]
2nrcssst

For me, whistling and humming are unfortunately great, GREAT sources of internal fury, purely phonically. Qua content, much small talk and 9 out of 10 commercials/radio ads/pop songs.

Colleague, his morning: "Yeah, so did you hear about that near plane crash in NY? I thought it was terrorists for sure, those muslims must be pretty pissed off after their countries were attacked by America. It turned out to be some birds getting caught in the engines, though. Did you hear about this? My boyfriend called me to tell me, and I was like 'oh no, terrorists!' What did you think when you heard it? Don't you watch the news?"

(The constant need for response is what angers me especially, as I am unable to respond and an explanation of this would most likely be direly insulting to them.)

Originally Posted by darkeldar88
Glass being scratched with something like sand or dirt. Cant stand that noise

Originally Posted by Vagrant
Metal scratching along ceramics drives me nuts. Sends shivers down my spine.

I think those are pretty universal, though.. Some peeves seem to be especially annoying to introverts.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
putupon
Member [07%]

Car alarms. Any duration.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #21
Nemesis
Core Member [375%]
Shhhh
MBTI: XXXX

The sound of people chewing with their mouths open makes me damn near psychotic. 99% of the time I will say something about it too. Often without being able to hide my rage. So I'll say things like "Were you raised in a f--king barn or something you feral ape" or "How hard is it to move your ugly lips together so we don't hear the first step in your digestion of that scone". I once had lunch with someone very prominent in my field who did this. I learned a great deal about restraint that day at the Olive Garden.

A similar sound is also insanely irritating. It is the sound of those who think it's a fabulous idea to eat crunchy things like carrots, potato chips, or apples (especially apples) while in a context that requires silence such as a classroom, presentation, or anything like that. I think it reflects such a high degree of inconsiderate behaviour that you could reliably assume that that person will be an a-hole in any context or circumstance.

However, the sound that drives me completely insane is the sound of people who walk on their heels. I'm often too enraged to even come up with real words to say to these folk. At that moment my inner-monologue is usually something like this ; "JKFBVHHJFHDBVHJDKV". Incoherant rage.

I suspect most of the people I mention above are mac users!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #22
changos
Member [48%]
Male INTJ - 30 years old.

People playing with "duropor" (Polystyrene) I hate it! and gets me kind of aggressive (I MUST STOP THEM). My ear is very sensitive. I hate people yelling. Def people are a pain for me.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
OmegaPsi
Member [07%]

The sound of a phone ringing, people talking real loudly on their phone, and that damn noise where people stir things with a spoon and it hits the sides of whatever you are stirring in. ( Think making hot chocolate with the swiss miss powder stuff, if you can't think of it or remember it. Go. Now. Go make some and you will understand and be forced into a rage like no other.)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
Brilliance
Member [04%]
Leave me a message if you'd like... My profile is a rather barren page.

Ah, I think I have this problem myself.. Here's a list of potential annoyances.

-People screaming or cheering
-Engines
-Vacuums
-Children/Babies crying, screaming, etc.
-Snoring/Breathing to loud at night
-Cell phone ring tones
-Chewing, I hate hearing people chew loudly.. Have some damn manners o_o
-Slurping, Wine, cereal, etc. - Sounds like a farm animal.
-Loud clocks ticking, water dripping, sound of people walking outside...
-Chalkboard, I hate the sound of chock, and nails, etc.
-ANY NOISE WHILE I MUST SLEEP = ANNOYING, no matter how miniscule.

There are probably more, but this is a start.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #25
Snowdragon
Member [27%]
MBTI: ENTP

Originally Posted by sMoKeY
Anyone experience this? For example the vacuum cleaner is my enemy not because it cleans but the noise really irritates me to a point where I cannot remain in the same room as the vacuum.

I hate the vacumn cleaner. It's like a loud drunk: Obnoxious, unwanted, and demanding your attention.

I hate is the sound of people making those revolting smacking sounds when they eat.

I hate the sound of the phone ringing, it's always some needy bastard demanding your attention. The sound of the phone ringing is like ice cubes being dropped down my back.