Distance and emotion in visualizations None
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Doggzilla
Veteran Member [88%]
MBTI: INTJ

I was thinking last night, and it occurred to me that I kind of project my thoughts onto a wall that happens to coincide with my reach... and so I decided I would try and incorporate depth into my visualisations, and came across an interesting effect. If I visualized them at close distance, they felt more intimate, and if I visualized them at a distance... lets say 50 feet... almost no emotion.... it was much like it was triggering the area of my mind that is used for actually interactions and the level of comfort that exists within my personal space... it was strikingly clear what was happening...

Anybody else have any reaction to the distance and depth of objects in their visualizations?
Doggzilla is online

Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
BuShinJu
Veteran Member [99%]
MBTI: xxxx

So, are you saying if the visualise an event close up you emotionally feel it more, like strength of emotion is proportional to distance of event? (A related thing is shooting someone with a gun. the emotional impact of it is less the further away they are, like a drone strike has next to no emotional impact. Sorry about the negative subject).

I've noticed I visualise in two different ways. One is much more kinesthetic and emotionally charged. I am basically imagining my body moving in a certain way, like martial arts, sports or dancing. There is a lot of the 'feeling' of my body moving and emotions are entrained in the movement. It's like my spirit body is moving around my physical body. I'll usually visualise this when I am walking along.

The other way is pure mental visualisation, like a movie, I'm just a camera. This is much more objective and removed, both distance wise and emotionally.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Doggzilla
Veteran Member [88%]
MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by BuShinJu
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So, are you saying if the visualise an event close up you emotionally feel it more, like strength of emotion is proportional to distance of event? (A related thing is shooting someone with a gun. the emotional impact of it is less the further away they are, like a drone strike has next to no emotional impact. Sorry about the negative subject).

I've noticed I visualise in two different ways. One is much more kinesthetic and emotionally charged. I am basically imagining my body moving in a certain way, like martial arts, sports or dancing. There is a lot of the 'feeling' of my body moving and emotions are entrained in the movement. It's like my spirit body is moving around my physical body. I'll usually visualise this when I am walking along.

The other way is pure mental visualisation, like a movie, I'm just a camera. This is much more objective and removed, both distance wise and emotionally.

Yes, quite similar, although when I see remote things like distant combat or drone strikes, I actually visualize a closer distance and what is happening at the location... At the same time, I naturally remove myself when faced with someone that is trying to use empathy to manipulate people into thinking its ok for them to do bad things, because they are "just a person" after all... I can just shut that down and think to myself "No, Im not going to fall for that.."
I try and invert the personal and empathy factor of any situation, which is why I am often at odd with people who defend bad behavior by otherwise good people.

And Im going to have to be more conscious about how I visualize my body movements for now on, I like to try and simulate emotions and situations, but I dont tend to feel the same emotions instantaneously with others. Even though Im kind of a prick and unemotional... I often am the only person capable of empathizing with people... because Ive reviewed it mentally, while others rely on their instantaneous emotions... to leave the awkward situation.

Doggzilla is online
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
BuShinJu
Veteran Member [99%]
MBTI: xxxx

Originally Posted by Doggzilla
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yes, quite similar, although when I see remote things like distant combat or drone strikes, I actually visualize a closer distance and what is happening at the location... At the same time, I naturally remove myself when faced with someone that is trying to use empathy to manipulate people into thinking its ok for them to do bad things, because they are "just a person" after all... I can just shut that down and think to myself "No, Im not going to fall for that.."
I try and invert the personal and empathy factor of any situation, which is why I am often at odd with people who defend bad behavior by otherwise good people.

And Im going to have to be more conscious about how I visualize my body movements for now on, I like to try and simulate emotions and situations, but I dont tend to feel the same emotions instantaneously with others. Even though Im kind of a prick and unemotional... I often am the only person capable of empathizing with people... because Ive reviewed it mentally, while others rely on their instantaneous emotions... to leave the awkward situation.

Yeah I think I don't really know how I feel about something while in the situation. I'll need some time to reflect and be confident in what my feelings actually are. I am getting quicker at it, becasue I have been trying and practicing being more honest with myself and with other people.

I'm actually very emotional, but in the moment I contain it. Then away from the action I will feel the emotions very acutely.

I think this is about simulating the complete person in my mind. What are the stressors in this person life that is making them act this way, what previous interaction have we had where they may assume something about me. And then from that simulation something will click and then I can confidently say something to them. But it's usually next time.

I've heard that emotions are like a shorthand way of getting a quick response to a situation, so a person can act based off their quick emotional response. I've always used sensing and thinking for that, with my emotional response being a review tool that comes out later.