Character types of A Song of Ice and Fire None
Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Hyper Sloth
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTP

Amazing ongoing series with a huge cast of interesting and varied characters in a huge and intricately crafted world.

For now, my estimates of the major viewpoint characters:

Eddard Stark: ISTJ 1w9-6w5-3w2 sx/sp? RCOan

Catelyn Stark: ISfJ 6w7-1w2-2w1 sx/sp rCOaN

Sansa Stark: EsFJ 2w3-9w1-6w7 so/sx slOAN

Arya Stark: iSTP 8w7-7w8-4w3 sp/sx rcUEI

Bran Stark: INFP 9w1 or 6w5-4w5 sx/so rCUAI

Jon Snow: INFJ 6w5-1w9-4w5 sx/so rCuAI

Samwell Tarly: InFp? 9w1-7w6-2w3 so/sp? sluAI

Tyrion Lannister: ENTP 7w6-3w4-1w9 sx/sp SCoxI

Jaime Lannister: ESTP 7w8-3w4 sx/so SCuEn

Cersei Lannister: ENfJ 3w4 or 8w7 sx/sp? rcoEx

Daenerys Targaryen: INFJ 1w9-4w5 sx/so? rCoeI

Davos Seaworth: IStJ 6w5-1w9 so/sp? RCOAN

Theon Greyjoy: ESTP 7w8-3w4-8w7 so/sx SLUEn

Brienne of Tarth: ISTJ or ISFP 1w9-6w5 so/sx RCoAN

Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
INTJMan348
Member [09%]

MBTI: INFJ

Off. Way off.

Ned Stark ISTJ
Catelyn Stark ISFJ
Sansa Stark ISFP
Arya Stark ENTP
Bran Stark INFJ
Jon Snow INFP
Samwell Tarly INFP
Tyrion Lannister ENTP
Jaime Lannister ExTP
Cersei Lannister ENTJ
Daenerys Targaryen INFJ
Davos Seaworth ISTJ
Theon Greyjoy ESTP
Brienne of Tarth ISTP

Others:
The Hound ISTP
Petry Balish ENTJ
Stannis Baratheon ENTJ
Joffrey Lannister/Baratheon ESTP
Robb Stark ESTJ
Tywin Lannister INTJ

OK, maybe not that far off...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
catzama
Core Member [198%]

Originally Posted by INTJMan348
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Off. Way off.

Ned Stark ISTJ
Catelyn Stark ISFJ
Sansa Stark ISFP
Arya Stark ENTP
Bran Stark INFJ
Jon Snow INFP
Samwell Tarly INFP
Tyrion Lannister ENTP
Jaime Lannister ExTP
Cersei Lannister ENTJ
Daenerys Targaryen INFJ
Davos Seaworth ISTJ
Theon Greyjoy ESTP
Brienne of Tarth ISTP

Others:
The Hound ISTP
Petry Balish ENTJ
Stannis Baratheon ENTJ
Joffrey Lannister/Baratheon ESTP
Robb Stark ESTJ
Tywin Lannister INTJ

OK, maybe not that far off...

Your N bias is showing.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
INTJMan348
Member [09%]

Originally Posted by catzama
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Your N bias is showing.

And I would have N bias for characters on a television show because.... ??

Also, considering they're families, it's not uncommon for them to all share similar personality characteristics.

I stand by my typing.

Except for maybe Robb Stark. I'm not entirely sure that he's an extrovert...

Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Mastermachiavel
Member [07%]
MBTI: INTJ

A lot of sensors in A Song of Ice and Fire. Many of them tend to be depraved or excessively violent people whose singular plan is to 'kill the other guy' rather than elaborate schemes.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Evil Muffin
Member [21%]

I think Arya Stark is ISFP or ISTP.

Also,
Jon Snow: ISTP
Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
INTJMan348
Member [09%]

Originally Posted by Evil Muffin
I think Arya Stark is ISFP or ISTP.

Also,
Jon Snow: ISTP

Yeah, now that I think about it, I really like Jon Snow as an ISTx. He seems to have a 'sense of duty.' I need to think about whether I see him as ISTP or ISTJ.

As for Arya, I still think she's an ENTP. Keep in mind, she's a VERY young girl in the books/show. I think her cunning, charm, tomboy-like attitude, and just her cleverness lend her to being an ENTP.

Also would like to make some edits:
Theon Greyjoy ESTJ

Jaime Lannister DEFINITE ESTP

Cersei Lannister xNTJ. I think she may be an ambivert. It's difficult to tell if she uses Fi or Se more often. Still, I may SLIGHTLY lean towards INTJ.

King Joffrey is difficult, but I'd say ESTJ

Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Antares
Core Member [210%]

And I would have N bias for characters on a television show because.... ??

Also, considering they're families, it's not uncommon for them to all share similar personality characteristics.

I stand by my typing.

Except for maybe Robb Stark. I'm not entirely sure that he's an extrovert...

For instance, how does Arya have ANY shred of intuition whatsoever?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Gorthaur111
Member [03%]

Arya Stark: ISTP - She's a quiet tomboy who loves sword fighting and becomes a badass assassin.
John Snow: ISFP - He's a moody individualist with strong personal values.
Theon Greyjoy: ESTP - He's primarily concerned with getting in as much drinking and prostitution as possible, until he gets the opportunity to make something of himself.
Joffrey: ESTP - He gets the most satisfaction from watching and inflicting violence. Same type as his father, Jaime.
Cersei Lannister: ENFJ - Her manipulativeness isn't Te at work, it's a deeply corrupted Fe.
Daenerys Targaryen: ENFJ - Way too good a leader to be an introvert.
Stannis Baratheon: ISTJ - Deeply bound to tradition and duty.
Tywin Lannister: ESTJ - A domineering, traditional patriarch, whose loyalty is to his house.
Brienne of Tarth: ISTJ - She cares most about honor, as opposed to Arya's interest in revenge.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Evil Muffin
Member [21%]

Originally Posted by Gorthaur111
Arya Stark: ISTP - She's a quiet tomboy who loves sword fighting and becomes a badass assassin.
John Snow: ISFP - He's a moody individualist with strong personal values.
Theon Greyjoy: ESTP - He's primarily concerned with getting in as much drinking and prostitution as possible, until he gets the opportunity to make something of himself.
Joffrey: ESTP - He gets the most satisfaction from watching and inflicting violence. Same type as his father, Jaime.
Cersei Lannister: ENFJ - Her manipulativeness isn't Te at work, it's a deeply corrupted Fe.
Daenerys Targaryen: ENFJ - Way too good a leader to be an introvert.
Stannis Baratheon: ISTJ - Deeply bound to tradition and duty.
Tywin Lannister: ESTJ - A domineering, traditional patriarch, whose loyalty is to his house.
Brienne of Tarth: ISTJ - She cares most about honor, as opposed to Arya's interest in revenge.

Very precise. Apart from the blasphemy part of typing Tywin Lannister as ESTJ - we should burn you for this - but I'm sleepy, so your life is spared this time, infidel.

He is a classical xNTJ. He is very patient, always scheming and capitalizing any diplomatic opportunity that it might appear, he can clearly see the big picture - the reason that he is such a good player in the Game of Thrones. Although he seems to be family-oriented, he mostly cares about the symbolic power of his family name & its survival. That's why he tolerated Tyrion - he is a Lannister, so his actions affect his family name, thus he must be moderated at all times, even though he truly detest him.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
anticlimatic
Veteran Member [93%]

Every character is an INTJ. George Martin is an INTJ.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Uriel
Core Member [157%]
Butter, such soft butter everywhere.
MBTI: eNTj

Tywin Lannister makes me wet. I think he's an ENTJ.

Joffrey: So if I wanted to attend a council meeting, I would now have to climb all the stairs in the tower of the Hand?

Tywin: *walks up the stairs towards Joffrey sitting on the throne until he is standing in front of Joffrey and looking down at him*

"We can arrange to have you carried."

*Urielgasm*

I highly doubt Daenerys Targaryen is an INFJ. She is not a passive-aggressive doormat.
She is highly manipulative, yes. But she rather direct, actually.
I can say with a high degree of confidence that she is a female INTJ.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Evil Muffin
Member [21%]

Originally Posted by Uriel
I can say with a high degree of confidence that she is a female INTJ.

She does know that (T)hinking is
. She is ENFJ. why? read some of the above comments.

---------- Post added 08-19-2013 at 11:51 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Mastermachiavel
A lot of sensors in A Song of Ice and Fire. Many of them tend to be depraved or excessively violent people whose singular plan is to 'kill the other guy' rather than elaborate schemes.

I strongly agree on this.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Uriel
Core Member [157%]

She is ENFJ.

Granted I just pulled that out of my ass, but can you provide your reasoning as to why she is an ENFJ?
The post that stated she's an ENFJ did not really elaborate.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
Evil Muffin
Member [21%]

Granted I just pulled that out of my ass, but can you provide your reasoning as to why she is an ENFJ?
The post that stated she's an ENFJ did not really elaborate.

She is peace/love oriented, always sympathizing with those in pain (= slaves). She does not care about tradition (about slavery, for example) or strategies (= her advisor(s), from the very beginning suggested different, more logical routes (like sailing back to Westeros with her new slave-army)), but mostly cares for what she has envisioned - and so far it seems that she wants to liberate every poor soul, balance the injustice in that part of the world - and is very focused on it.
Lastly, I find her to be Extroverted, since she is way too good at attracting (and leading) big crowds to her personality & cause.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Kirsanov
Member [20%]

Originally Posted by anticlimatic
Every character is an INTJ. George Martin is an INTJ.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Uriel
Core Member [157%]

She is peace/love oriented, always sympathizing with those in pain (= slaves). She does not care about tradition (about slavery, for example) or strategies (= her advisor(s), from the very beginning suggested different, more logical routes (like sailing back to Westeros with her new slave-army)), but mostly cares for what she has envisioned - and so far it seems that she wants to liberate every poor soul, balance the injustice in that part of the world - and is very focused on it. Lastly, I find her to be Extroverted, since she is way too good at attracting (and leading) big crowds to her personality & cause.

Ok that's rather convincing. I think it was because I was highly impressed with how efficiently she handled the 8000 slaves issue that I wanted her to be INTJ. *snort*

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
catzama
Core Member [198%]

Ok that's rather convincing. I think it was because I was highly impressed with how efficiently she handled the 8000 slaves issue that I wanted her to be INTJ. *snort*

It happens. I turn most every innovative, witty character into an xNTP because I love them and want them to be just like me.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Kirsanov
Member [20%]

Originally Posted by catzama
It happens. I turn most every innovative, witty character into an xNTP because I love them and want them to be just like me.

Then catz realizes "Fuck it, there are already enough badass ISTPs, including myself." (Or xNTP if that is the mood you are in currently.)

In relation to the main topic, I find many of the maesters could be good candidates for INTP and INFJ.

Varys: Prototypical shady INFJ
Petyr Baelish: ENTJ (possibly INTJ in the books)
Tywin: Tie between ESTJ and ENTJ
Tyrion: Badass ENTP
Starks: inundated with xSTJ and xSFJ
Lannisters: some power hungry xNFJ and xNTJs (Other than Tyrion)
Baratheons & Greyjoys: More sensors (the sister greyjoy is a badass)
Joffrey: Fucking little brat who thinks he is king

I maybe wrong with some of my analyses, then again this was half-assed on my part.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #20
anticlimatic
Veteran Member [93%]

She is peace/love oriented, always sympathizing with those in pain (= slaves). She does not care about tradition (about slavery, for example) or strategies (= her advisor(s), from the very beginning suggested different, more logical routes (like sailing back to Westeros with her new slave-army)), but mostly cares for what she has envisioned - and so far it seems that she wants to liberate every poor soul, balance the injustice in that part of the world - and is very focused on it.
Lastly, I find her to be Extroverted, since she is way too good at attracting (and leading) big crowds to her personality & cause.

She's an INFP; a leader not so much by choice, but by conviction. It's Fi values that cause her to liberate the slaves, more sympathy than empathy. George Martin writes no ENFJs into his stories. Extroverted feeling doesn't exist in his mythos.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
Enfpbutterfly
Member [07%]
MBTI: XNFP

She's an INFP; a leader not so much by choice, but by conviction. It's Fi values that cause her to liberate the slaves, more sympathy than empathy. George Martin writes no ENFJs into his stories. Extroverted feeling doesn't exist in his mythos.

Agreed; she's definitely INFP. The way her mind works is too familiar, there's no way she is J.

Why do you think there's no Fe in his (poorly written but oh-so-guiltily-compelling) stories?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
INTJMan348
Member [09%]

Originally Posted by Enfpbutterfly
Agreed; she's definitely INFP. The way her mind works is too familiar, there's no way she is J.

Why do you think there's no Fe in his (poorly written but oh-so-guiltily-compelling) stories?

I see A LOT more Fe use from her than Fi use. Just saying.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
Enfpbutterfly
Member [07%]
MBTI: XNFP

Whaaaa...why? She hated eg wearing the floppy ears, and needed someone to tell her why she had to do it. Inner values seem to matter much more to her than outer values.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
anticlimatic
Veteran Member [93%]

Originally Posted by Enfpbutterfly

I think it's because he's not a Fe user himself, and therefore has no understanding of it. I find the series somewhere between yawn inducing and loathsome as a consequence of this.

She'd have hooked up with more of her male suitors by now if she was a Fe user, or at least given them a second's consideration.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
catzama
Core Member [198%]

She'd have hooked up with more of her male suitors by now if she was a Fe user, or at least given them a second's consideration.

Oh you Fe whores