Why do women buy the very things that harm them? None
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
themuzicman
Core Member [319%]
I am INTJ.  Your argument is invalid.
Resistance is futile.
MBTI: INTJ

I'm thinking magazines like Cosmo and the like, where women are airbrushed and portrayed with perfect bodies and faces, and music that degrades women, most notably (but not exclusively) hip-hop.

Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

I realize not all women do this, but these are some of the more popular magazines/songs in their genre.

If women stopped going to clubs that played music that was degrading to women, wouldn't those clubs stop playing those songs?

If women stopped buying the magazines that portrayed women as having perfect, airbrushed bodies and faces, wouldn't they stop doing that?

Why don't they do this?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
ithapitscollege
Member [15%]

Because that's called being a hipster, the things are "too mainstream" for you.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
invicta
Member [34%]

Originally Posted by themuzicman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm thinking magazines like Cosmo and the like, where women are airbrushed and portrayed with perfect bodies and faces, and music that degrades women, most notably (but not exclusively) hip-hop.

Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

I realize not all women do this, but these are some of the more popular magazines/songs in their genre.

If women stopped going to clubs that played music that was degrading to women, wouldn't those clubs stop playing those songs?

If women stopped buying the magazines that portrayed women as having perfect, airbrushed bodies and faces, wouldn't they stop doing that?

Why don't they do this?

Good news; I don't think that women buy magazines that use airbrushing techniques. Some women may buy magazines that use photo editing software on their images, though. I could be wrong, but I believe that airbrushing was discontinued in favor of Photoshop some time ago. If you are an historian/hobbyist, you could get some late 70s/early 80s Playboy magazines if you have a thing for airbrushing. It seems that men's magazines used the technique as well.

I think that some men like hip hop music, also. It could be suggested that "gangsta" culture is degrading to men.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Visionairess
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTj

Because women don't find it deragatory. You have a very narrow-minded viewpoint here. The women's magazines you mention here display a strong sense of empowerment for many women, if this may actually be disguised as deregatory, I don't know about that. And if so, the fashion/ beauty industry did a great job in masking that.

As for the music...they diffuse into popularity becoming a hot trend through social contagion...in a society including women. I don't think it will die down and taken out in clubs just because it can be possibly seen as anti-feminist.

---------- Post added 04-19-2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

Originally Posted by invicta
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good news; I don't think that women buy magazines that use airbrushing techniques. Some women may buy magazines that use photo editing software on their images, though. I could be wrong, but I believe that airbrushing was discontinued in favor of Photoshop some time ago. men.

Dude, photoshop is worse. Photoshop is that magic trick that could possibly alter the woman completely. And btw...there is the airbrush option in Photoshop.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Midhiel
Core Member [135%]
Just then, Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.
MBTI: InTJ

Originally Posted by Visionairess
Because women don't find it deragatory. You have a very narrow-minded viewpoint here. The women's magazines you mention here display a strong sense of empowerment for many women, if this may actually be disguised as deregatory, I don't know about that. And if so, the fashion/ beauty industry did a great job in masking that.

Are you joking?...

Re: OP, I don't know. Because it's popular, and most people (of both sexes) buy into whatever is popular? Beats me.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
PurpleGiraffe
Member [39%]

Why does anybody do anything?

"Free will"/agency.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Visionairess
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTj

Originally Posted by Midhiel
Are you joking?...

No. I don't know about you guys but I think the beauty/ fashion industry did their fair share in empowerment.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Member [44%]

Why do people buy alcohol?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Clueless
Veteran Member [75%]

Originally Posted by 9272
Why do people buy alcohol?

Because it's mixed with beer?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
ceru
Member [12%]

You're listening to the wrong hip-hop. Good hip-hop (in my opinion good anyway) speaks against the shit you're complaining about.

Music that gets played in clubs is largely due to its production and beat behind. Aka, it is good to bounce your head and dance to.
ceru is online
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Member [44%]

Originally Posted by Clueless
Because it's mixed with beer?

And it basically does everything that basically everyone doesn't want it to do

Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
Midhiel
Core Member [135%]
Just then, Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.
MBTI: InTJ

The number of people on my social media feeds right now bragging about getting wasted would tend to disagree.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
anticlimatic
Veteran Member [93%]
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by ceru
You're listening to the wrong hip-hop. Good hip-hop (in my opinion good anyway) speaks against the shit you're complaining about.

I call that liberal white boy hip-hop. I also call it over opinionated unnecessarily political garbage (in my opinion anyway). When I hear a good beat, I want words that brandish
and being a king of the natural order-- I don't want a pseudo-intellectual lecture on obvious 'big picture' social ailments. Ok, so I'm digressing a bit....

On topic, I think women buy into that stuff because they hate other women. Just a guess. Or they hate themselves, which is just as well. I'm not sure. I speculate people watch things like The Jersey Shore for the same reason; either they hate themselves, or they just hate the human race and like to pretend they're any different, so as to mock it. Either way, none of them will be giving you a straight answer. Not their style.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Clueless
Veteran Member [75%]

Meh, there's a downside to just about everything. If you don't have a little paunch by mid-life you haven't been enjoying life enough.

---------- Post added 04-20-2013 at 09:20 AM ----------

Sex can cause pregnancy, candy -cavities, exercise makes you tired and sore if you do it right.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, sadly.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Gefyon
Veteran Member [57%]
MBTI: INTp

Why don't they do this?

You would probably need to ask the women who buy these magazines and go to these clubs who also feel that they are degrading. (If you can find any, that is).

But to play along with this silly premise, I think
pretty much captured it on the hip hop issue.
(forward to 2:40)

Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
PerverseImp
Member [07%]

Magazines are a tool of the dominant socio-economic (dis)order, similar to tv and the Internet. They are used to keep us in a docile state of consumption. We couldn't be arsed thinking about serious issues when we've got pretty shoes to buy. Sounds awful but it's probably true.

I'm not speaking from a feminist viewpoint. Everyone living in a consumerist society is subjected to this nonsense.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
ellemeno
New Member [01%]

I agree with the op. These magazines are fucking ridiculous and call it judgmental if you will but buying them only buys into the stereotypical hype of what a woman should look and be like. We can't compete with the airbrushed beauties so buy this, shop here, teeth whitening strips and hair products...yeah cyclical spending. Total bullshit. My daughters friends mother bought my at the time 15 yo a subscription to the magazine Seventeen, what a huge insult to any developing adolescent. Talk about a sleeping society...

Being the ol' timer I am I was around when the Sugar Hill Gang brought the first main stream rap song to light. However, the pioneers of the east coast rapper brought a political message to tell of the injustice of their people and society along with the block parties. KRS-One, DJ Kool Herc, GrandMaster Flash, Public Enemy, etc, As with everything else with our society, main stream and money get a hold of it, commercialize and shape the artist and possibly intent. The woman that enjoys the derogatory lyrics of much rap music today must have no thought process to recognize how degrading it is to their mothers and daughters. They may also buy Cosmopolitan magazines, spend hundreds on hair extensions and facial products and gain their identity by the men that pawn over them. But I'm overly political so very much jaded in this regard.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
blueback
Core Member [159%]

Because they've been brainwashed by the patriarchy to believe they like those things. Most women are suffering from a Stockholm-Syndrome-like relationship with the 50% of the population that has a penis. They are enslaved, but taught that it's good and they deserve it anyway, so they embrace the slavery instead of rebelling against it.

Or people are stupid, and women are people.

Two competing theories...

Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
zibber
Restricted [forum rules]

Why don't they do this?

Start with structuralism and move on to poststructuralism in 2015 or '16.

zibber is online
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx

They may be just dumb. Pay $5 for a worthless stack of papers that are mostly advertisements? Yeah. Sounds dumb to me.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
Member [49%]
Spooky... Beautiful... Stupid...

Originally Posted by mieu
They may be just dumb. Pay $5 for a worthless stack of papers that are mostly advertisements? Yeah. Sounds dumb to me.

*bursts into treats*

Okay, sister. Now that I've had my candy-cry, let's get a couple of things straight: I stay on top of the new-now-next by subscribing to Italian Vogue. It gives the aesthetic for a woman my age with senseless articles that I find lots of fun.

Same reason some adults watch cartoons. I don't know. It's just fun.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
YellowSubmarine
Veteran Member [62%]
Nothing to see here, folks.

I subscribe to Vogue, etc. because I'm into fashion and design and I draw inspiration from those sources. I look at the clothes, not the women. That's what my Maxim subscription is for.

I also have a pretty firm grasp on what "normal" women look like, since I see them every day and everything.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
Member [44%]

Originally Posted by Midhiel
The number of people on my social media feeds right now bragging about getting wasted would tend to disagree.

Ok now ask them if they actually know what it does.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Iota Null
Core Member [304%]
"You resolve to die a glorious death, as described above."

Because the effects of alcohol aren't common knowledge on university campuses at all.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #25
Member [44%]

Seemingly not, what with erectile dysfunction sales skyrocketing and everyone complaining about obesity.

Point is, people love to do things that are bad for them, and alcohol will harm people far faster 100% of the time than any of the things mentioned in the OP.