Reply
Thread Tools
Why do women buy the very things that harm them? None
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
themuzicman
Core Member [319%]
I am INTJ.  Your argument is invalid.
Resistance is futile.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,779
 
I'm thinking magazines like Cosmo and the like, where women are airbrushed and portrayed with perfect bodies and faces, and music that degrades women, most notably (but not exclusively) hip-hop.

Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

I realize not all women do this, but these are some of the more popular magazines/songs in their genre.

If women stopped going to clubs that played music that was degrading to women, wouldn't those clubs stop playing those songs?

If women stopped buying the magazines that portrayed women as having perfect, airbrushed bodies and faces, wouldn't they stop doing that?

Why don't they do this?
themuzicman is offline
Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
ithapitscollege
Member [15%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 633
 
Because that's called being a hipster, the things are "too mainstream" for you.
ithapitscollege is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
invicta
Member [34%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,367
 

  Originally Posted by themuzicman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm thinking magazines like Cosmo and the like, where women are airbrushed and portrayed with perfect bodies and faces, and music that degrades women, most notably (but not exclusively) hip-hop.

Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

I realize not all women do this, but these are some of the more popular magazines/songs in their genre.

If women stopped going to clubs that played music that was degrading to women, wouldn't those clubs stop playing those songs?

If women stopped buying the magazines that portrayed women as having perfect, airbrushed bodies and faces, wouldn't they stop doing that?

Why don't they do this?

Good news; I don't think that women buy magazines that use airbrushing techniques. Some women may buy magazines that use photo editing software on their images, though. I could be wrong, but I believe that airbrushing was discontinued in favor of Photoshop some time ago. If you are an historian/hobbyist, you could get some late 70s/early 80s Playboy magazines if you have a thing for airbrushing. It seems that men's magazines used the technique as well.

I think that some men like hip hop music, also. It could be suggested that "gangsta" culture is degrading to men.

invicta is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Visionairess
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTj
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 87
 
Because women don't find it deragatory. You have a very narrow-minded viewpoint here. The women's magazines you mention here display a strong sense of empowerment for many women, if this may actually be disguised as deregatory, I don't know about that. And if so, the fashion/ beauty industry did a great job in masking that.

As for the music...they diffuse into popularity becoming a hot trend through social contagion...in a society including women. I don't think it will die down and taken out in clubs just because it can be possibly seen as anti-feminist.

---------- Post added 04-19-2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

  Originally Posted by invicta
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good news; I don't think that women buy magazines that use airbrushing techniques. Some women may buy magazines that use photo editing software on their images, though. I could be wrong, but I believe that airbrushing was discontinued in favor of Photoshop some time ago. men.

Dude, photoshop is worse. Photoshop is that magic trick that could possibly alter the woman completely. And btw...there is the airbrush option in Photoshop.

Visionairess is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Midhiel
Core Member [135%]
Just then, Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.
MBTI: InTJ
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,436
 

  Originally Posted by Visionairess
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Because women don't find it deragatory. You have a very narrow-minded viewpoint here. The women's magazines you mention here display a strong sense of empowerment for many women, if this may actually be disguised as deregatory, I don't know about that. And if so, the fashion/ beauty industry did a great job in masking that.

Are you joking?...



Re: OP, I don't know. Because it's popular, and most people (of both sexes) buy into whatever is popular? Beats me.

Midhiel is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
PurpleGiraffe
Member [39%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,577
 
Why does anybody do anything?

"Free will"/agency.
PurpleGiraffe is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Visionairess
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTj
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 87
 

  Originally Posted by Midhiel
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Are you joking?...

No. I don't know about you guys but I think the beauty/ fashion industry did their fair share in empowerment.

Visionairess is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
9272
Member [44%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
 
Why do people buy alcohol?
9272 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Clueless
Veteran Member [75%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,011
 

  Originally Posted by 9272
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why do people buy alcohol?

Because it's mixed with beer?

Clueless is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
ceru
Member [12%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 501
 
You're listening to the wrong hip-hop. Good hip-hop (in my opinion good anyway) speaks against the shit you're complaining about.

Music that gets played in clubs is largely due to its production and beat behind. Aka, it is good to bounce your head and dance to.
ceru is online
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
9272
Member [44%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
 

  Originally Posted by Clueless
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Because it's mixed with beer?

And it basically does everything that basically everyone doesn't want it to do

9272 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
Midhiel
Core Member [135%]
Just then, Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.
MBTI: InTJ
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,436
 

  Originally Posted by 9272
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
And it basically does everything that basically everyone doesn't want it to do

The number of people on my social media feeds right now bragging about getting wasted would tend to disagree.

Midhiel is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
anticlimatic
Veteran Member [93%]
MBTI: INTP
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,748
 

  Originally Posted by ceru
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You're listening to the wrong hip-hop. Good hip-hop (in my opinion good anyway) speaks against the shit you're complaining about.

I call that liberal white boy hip-hop. I also call it over opinionated unnecessarily political garbage (in my opinion anyway). When I hear a good beat, I want words that brandish
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and being a king of the natural order-- I don't want a pseudo-intellectual lecture on obvious 'big picture' social ailments. Ok, so I'm digressing a bit....

On topic, I think women buy into that stuff because they hate other women. Just a guess. Or they hate themselves, which is just as well. I'm not sure. I speculate people watch things like The Jersey Shore for the same reason; either they hate themselves, or they just hate the human race and like to pretend they're any different, so as to mock it. Either way, none of them will be giving you a straight answer. Not their style.

anticlimatic is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Clueless
Veteran Member [75%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,011
 

  Originally Posted by 9272
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
And it basically does everything that basically everyone doesn't want it to do

Meh, there's a downside to just about everything. If you don't have a little paunch by mid-life you haven't been enjoying life enough.

---------- Post added 04-20-2013 at 09:20 AM ----------

Sex can cause pregnancy, candy -cavities, exercise makes you tired and sore if you do it right.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, sadly.

Clueless is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Gefyon
Veteran Member [57%]
MBTI: INTp
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,317
 

  Originally Posted by themuzicman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm thinking magazines like Cosmo and the like, where women are airbrushed and portrayed with perfect bodies and faces, and music that degrades women, most notably (but not exclusively) hip-hop.

Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

I realize not all women do this, but these are some of the more popular magazines/songs in their genre.

If women stopped going to clubs that played music that was degrading to women, wouldn't those clubs stop playing those songs?

If women stopped buying the magazines that portrayed women as having perfect, airbrushed bodies and faces, wouldn't they stop doing that?

Why don't they do this?

You would probably need to ask the women who buy these magazines and go to these clubs who also feel that they are degrading. (If you can find any, that is).

But to play along with this silly premise, I think
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pretty much captured it on the hip hop issue.
(forward to 2:40)

Gefyon is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
PerverseImp
Member [07%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 311
 
Magazines are a tool of the dominant socio-economic (dis)order, similar to tv and the Internet. They are used to keep us in a docile state of consumption. We couldn't be arsed thinking about serious issues when we've got pretty shoes to buy. Sounds awful but it's probably true.

I'm not speaking from a feminist viewpoint. Everyone living in a consumerist society is subjected to this nonsense.
PerverseImp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
ellemeno
New Member [01%]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 17
 
I agree with the op. These magazines are fucking ridiculous and call it judgmental if you will but buying them only buys into the stereotypical hype of what a woman should look and be like. We can't compete with the airbrushed beauties so buy this, shop here, teeth whitening strips and hair products...yeah cyclical spending. Total bullshit. My daughters friends mother bought my at the time 15 yo a subscription to the magazine Seventeen, what a huge insult to any developing adolescent. Talk about a sleeping society...

Being the ol' timer I am I was around when the Sugar Hill Gang brought the first main stream rap song to light. However, the pioneers of the east coast rapper brought a political message to tell of the injustice of their people and society along with the block parties. KRS-One, DJ Kool Herc, GrandMaster Flash, Public Enemy, etc, As with everything else with our society, main stream and money get a hold of it, commercialize and shape the artist and possibly intent. The woman that enjoys the derogatory lyrics of much rap music today must have no thought process to recognize how degrading it is to their mothers and daughters. They may also buy Cosmopolitan magazines, spend hundreds on hair extensions and facial products and gain their identity by the men that pawn over them. But I'm overly political so very much jaded in this regard.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ellemeno is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
blueback
Core Member [159%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,369
 

  Originally Posted by themuzicman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

Because they've been brainwashed by the patriarchy to believe they like those things. Most women are suffering from a Stockholm-Syndrome-like relationship with the 50% of the population that has a penis. They are enslaved, but taught that it's good and they deserve it anyway, so they embrace the slavery instead of rebelling against it.

Or people are stupid, and women are people.

Two competing theories...

blueback is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
zibber
Restricted [forum rules]
 
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,342
 

  Originally Posted by themuzicman
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm thinking magazines like Cosmo and the like, where women are airbrushed and portrayed with perfect bodies and faces, and music that degrades women, most notably (but not exclusively) hip-hop.

Why do women buy those magazines, those CDs/songs, and go to the clubs that play them?

I realize not all women do this, but these are some of the more popular magazines/songs in their genre.

If women stopped going to clubs that played music that was degrading to women, wouldn't those clubs stop playing those songs?

If women stopped buying the magazines that portrayed women as having perfect, airbrushed bodies and faces, wouldn't they stop doing that?

Why don't they do this?

Start with structuralism and move on to poststructuralism in 2015 or '16.

zibber is online
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
mieu
Core Member [194%]
/)^3^(\
MBTI: xNTx
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,792
 
They may be just dumb. Pay $5 for a worthless stack of papers that are mostly advertisements? Yeah. Sounds dumb to me.
mieu is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #21
24601
Member [49%]
Spooky... Beautiful... Stupid...
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
 

  Originally Posted by mieu
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
They may be just dumb. Pay $5 for a worthless stack of papers that are mostly advertisements? Yeah. Sounds dumb to me.

*bursts into treats*

Okay, sister. Now that I've had my candy-cry, let's get a couple of things straight: I stay on top of the new-now-next by subscribing to Italian Vogue. It gives the aesthetic for a woman my age with senseless articles that I find lots of fun.

Same reason some adults watch cartoons. I don't know. It's just fun.

24601 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
YellowSubmarine
Veteran Member [62%]
Nothing to see here, folks.
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,509
 
I subscribe to Vogue, etc. because I'm into fashion and design and I draw inspiration from those sources. I look at the clothes, not the women. That's what my Maxim subscription is for.

I also have a pretty firm grasp on what "normal" women look like, since I see them every day and everything.
YellowSubmarine is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
9272
Member [44%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
 

  Originally Posted by Midhiel
The number of people on my social media feeds right now bragging about getting wasted would tend to disagree.

Ok now ask them if they actually know what it does.

9272 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Iota Null
Core Member [304%]
"You resolve to die a glorious death, as described above."
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,172
 
Because the effects of alcohol aren't common knowledge on university campuses at all.
Iota Null is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #25
9272
Member [44%]
MBTI: INTJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,761
 
Seemingly not, what with erectile dysfunction sales skyrocketing and everyone complaining about obesity.

Point is, people love to do things that are bad for them, and alcohol will harm people far faster 100% of the time than any of the things mentioned in the OP.
9272 is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Myers-Briggs, and MBTI are trademarks or registered trademarks of the
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Trust in the United States and other countries.