Closed Thread
A temple is where books are aesthetics, literature
Old 10-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]
"To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous."
MBTI: INTJ

I don't know about you... but I feel like I'm stepping into a church everytime I go to a nice library/book store etc.

I saw this picture just now and it says more than I can say. The small tables of one, each perfectly content to be alone with their reading material and refreshments. It's a place of book-worship
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
jtskinner
New Member [01%]

Books are the only thing that gives a damn anymore, especially now with popular culture melting the minds of so many young people. I recommend Fahrenheit 451, as a book about what happens when popular culture takes over and we chose not to think(or read). When I was a kid I would read a book a night.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Bossy Mom
Member [06%]

What a lovely picture; it warms my heart (except is has too many people in it). In my mind, when I want to escape, I have a view:

It is a moonlight night in a large mansion in Kent, UK. I am in the library where books are stacked on each side of the room except the northern one. The northern side of the room has a large fireplace where a fire is warm and glowing with two large windows on the each side that begin at the ceiling to nearly the floor. The moonlight shines on a lush green lawn that descends to the woods. In front of the fireplace are two big comfy chairs with lamps to the side to illuminate a book for the reader.

The library has books for every taste, but the majority of books are the fiction of England from Beowulf to the middle of the 20th century. This is heaven to me.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
TruorTupnm
Member [04%]

I would go with such a feeling but wouldn't mention worship. Mayhaps merely reverence or respect. Stepping into such a place, unless accompanied by elseones, I'd close my eyes and release a contented sigh, then stalk around, breathing deeply. Also, the picture is pretty decent. I have no problem with the amount of humans, just their proximity. :
Old 10-31-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]

Originally Posted by TruorTupnm
I would go with such a feeling but wouldn't mention worship. Mayhaps merely reverence or respect. Stepping into such a place, unless accompanied by elseones, I'd close my eyes and release a contented sigh, then stalk around, breathing deeply. Also, the picture is pretty decent. I have no problem with the amount of humans, just their proximity. :

I think it's just as close to worshiping anything as I'll ever get.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
ShaiGar
Banned

MBTI: ENTP

Originally Posted by Bossy Mom
What a lovely picture; it warms my heart (except is has too many people in it). *In my mind, when I want to escape, I have a view:

It is a moonlight night in a large mansion in Kent, UK. *I am in the library where books are stacked on each side of the room except the northern one. *The northern side of the room has a large fireplace where a fire is warm and glowing with two large windows on the each side that begin at the ceiling to nearly the floor. *The moonlight shines on a lush green lawn that descends to the woods. *In front of the fireplace are two big comfy chairs with lamps to the side to illuminate a book for the reader. *

The library has books for every taste, but the majority of books are the fiction of England from Beowulf to the middle of the 20th century. *This is heaven to me.

Change the "couple of chairs" to one large thronelike chair, extremely comfortable, white polar bear fur(fake if you want it) and two fake polar bear heads on each side. Off to the side there needs to be a wine table within easy reach, an open bottle of merlot and a clean glass. Instead of the lamps, a series of chandeliers hanging from the ceiling with glowing crystal balls hanging from them.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
wise
Member [03%]

I love the library, but the people are too close for me. However, I feel similar about libraries as you do.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
patobrocks
New Member [01%]

Anyone familar with Pirsig? He called the university The Church of Reason and the library the Holiest of the Holy, the sacrosanct temple of knowledge. Or something like that.

As much as I could bitch about my parents, they instilled a love of books into all of us kids.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
logan235711
Banned

MBTI: NTFJ

I get a warm feeling when I step inside book places too, but it has to be certain kinds of book places! Like I shudder a bit when I step inside a public library cause most of the books there are only pop junk no good obscure authors, subjects, or depth in any material beyond undergrad. level. So I like going to private libraries where you can feel the dust rise from a book that no one has touched or known to have existed ^_^ With subjects that really test the extent of your knowledge and you know about everyone in there is pursuing some level higher than most other people. The smell of cracking open a book new or old and smelling those pages *bliss* knowing that when you finish it all that is in it would then be yours. Wondering who else had read the book, what path they chose towards knowledge, where they have been led, all the paths that you could choose but alas only hold so much time to experience but a brief number of them.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
ShaiGar
Banned

MBTI: ENTP

when i was much younger i got on a bus in central queensland, and left for armidale in NSW. while i was there i picked up a copy of a book i had always wanted to read, Goethes Faust. Inside there was an underlined quote in pencil that i loved. bookmarked on that page was an email address, i spent the next few years emailing with that person.

nice way to get to know someone
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]

Originally Posted by patobrocks
Anyone familar with Pirsig? He called the university The Church of Reason and the library the Holiest of the Holy, the sacrosanct temple of knowledge. Or something like that.

As much as I could bitch about my parents, they instilled a love of books into all of us kids.

I'll look into Pirsig...
I've always loved book. Thank goodness my mother nurtured that.

Originally Posted by logan235711
I get a warm feeling when I step inside book places too, but it has to be certain kinds of book places! Like I shudder a bit when I step inside a public library cause most of the books there are only pop junk no good obscure authors, subjects, or depth in any material beyond undergrad. level. So I like going to private libraries where you can feel the dust rise from a book that no one has touched or known to have existed ^_^ With subjects that really test the extent of your knowledge and you know about everyone in there is pursuing some level higher than most other people. The smell of cracking open a book new or old and smelling those pages *bliss* knowing that when you finish it all that is in it would then be yours. Wondering who else had read the book, what path they chose towards knowledge, where they have been led, all the paths that you could choose but alas only hold so much time to experience but a brief number of them.

It really depends what library I go to. Regular public libraries do give me that dingy feeling, but larger ones are quite nice. Libraries always humble me. It holds more knowledge than I can possibly learn. Doesn't stop me from trying to read as much as I can though.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
cielo market
Member [11%]
...dis,  quoi pensez-vous?

Remeber that scene from Disney's Beauty and the Beast when she first opens her eyes in the library? Sweet.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 AM   #13
patobrocks
New Member [01%]

[quote=Rei]

Originally Posted by patobrocks
Anyone familar with Pirsig? *He called the university The Church of Reason and the library the Holiest of the Holy, the sacrosanct temple of knowledge. *Or something like that.

I'll look into Pirsig...
I've always loved book. *Thank goodness my mother nurtured that.

quote]

yeah, ZatAoMM talks about dualities and quality, but I can' understand at those levels. One of the reasons I want to leanr a little philosophy is so I can begin to understand Pirsig.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
chocky
Member [04%]

MBTI: INTP

Hmmm, walking into a beautiful book store or library is one of those things that removes all sense of time, so I would say it is holy.

A great library is a meeting place of minds that can reach across centuries, being refreshed and renewed each time a reader turns a page, so it is death-defying, and in that sense too it is holy.

It is a place in which one can sense the eternal, and partake, and immerse oneself in countless other worlds beyond mundane reality. Holy. Holy. Holy.

My ideal future contains a library. I have always held a vision of one - a sanctuary from the world - and one day I shall build it.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Nightelf
Member [06%]

This picture could warm up my heart, if there were not so many people on it!! As for me, libraries are often places of refuge, in some sense they truly become places of worship: worship of knowledge, logic etc. Thats why I don't undersatnd how people are allowed to eat/drink there.... Nonsense....
Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #16
Rei
Veteran Member [52%]

Originally Posted by cielo market
Remeber that scene from Disney's Beauty and the Beast when she first opens her eyes in the library? Sweet.

TOTALLY!
I was DROOLING over that library...

Originally Posted by chocky
Hmmm, walking into a beautiful book store or library is one of those things that removes all sense of time, so I would say it is holy.

A great library is a meeting place of minds that can reach across centuries, being refreshed and renewed each time a reader turns a page, so it is death-defying, and in that sense too it is holy.

It is a place in which one can sense the eternal, and partake, and immerse oneself in countless other worlds beyond mundane reality. Holy. Holy. Holy.

My ideal future contains a library. I have always held a vision of one - a sanctuary from the world - and one day I shall build it.

Losing all sense of time is what slightly bugs me about libraries... I could spend a whole day browsing there. It seems like I'm wasting a whole lot of time... and doing it gladly

I definitely had a library in ever dream home I've ever imagined.

Originally Posted by Nightelf
This picture could warm up my heart, if there were not so many people on it!! As for me, libraries are often places of refuge, in some sense they truly become places of worship: worship of knowledge, logic etc. Thats why I don't undersatnd how people are allowed to eat/drink there.... Nonsense....

I agree that i'd probably be a little more comfortable if the people were a tad more spaced out...
But this was actually a cafe... hence the food.
I must say though, I love eating/drinking to go along with a good book.
then again, I like eating/drinking along with everything...

Closed Thread

Tags
aesthetics, literature