Mind Palace None
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
PhysicsFTW
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTJ

Does anyone here uses memory technique called mind palace? If so what is your palace and is it a physical place or you made it up in your head?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Dasterlyn
Member [48%]
"In the long run, we are all dead" -Keynes

O wow. Just did a quick search of this "memory palace" buisness. Seems pretty interesting. I wonder if I could get it to work for me. I don't think I have much time though with my school work to really think out this "palace". I have a sick memory already when it comes to information for exams so not sure if I have a good use for it. Something to think about though. Thanks for sharing ^.^
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Autumnleaf
Core Member [288%]

An old home I used to live in. It had many rooms. One had a view of a huge evergreen tree.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
VF1J
Veteran Member [51%]
I think of it like this: introverts are like rechargable batteries and extraverts are solar calculators... - Coralaisly
MBTI: INTx

A friend has one, based on a route he's mapped out from his house to somewhere with bus stops/shelters as points to store and recall information.

Not tried it myself, yet.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
NOdiety
Member [14%]

MBTI: iNTj

This place wouldnt have exterior walls.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Distance
Core Member [636%]
Gut shoddy
MBTI: eNTj

No interest in the technique although I'd enter Sherlock's mind palace as a stalker observer.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
lkso
Veteran Member [50%]

Originally Posted by PhysicsFTW
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Does anyone here uses memory technique called mind palace? If so what is your palace and is it a physical place or you made it up in your head?

The "memory palace" can be many places, not just one. I use my house, the park, and school, though I rarely need to use them.

It is usually a physical place because it does not change except for minor details. Imaginary palaces just aren't very good because there is no direct experience with it so major details can be totally left out, which results in poorer object placement within these imaginary palaces.

But, I'm not a memory champion. You'd have to ask if they use imaginary ones. From what I've read, they use places that they've actually visited. If they need more places to store things, they go to a new place and remember it.

lkso is online
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
DeaconSyre
Member [38%]
MBTI: INFP

What kind of stuff are you memorizing that makes this technique useful?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
PhysicsFTW
New Member [01%]

I use it to remember quite literally everything, form school to shopping lists. I just like to use my brain, because brain is like a muscle if you don't use it then the brain isn't used to remembering things. I just enjoy finding my way back to the memory, even if I don't remember then I think things to related that memory and those related memorys eventually give me the right thing I was looking for.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Lawtey
Member [23%]
MBTI: inTJ

I love this technique. It's discussed a bit in the Hannibal books. I have 2 palaces that I have lived in and one I attempted to make which is quite ugly. I remember them extremely well but some of the connections within are fuzzy. It's good to have a written record to refer to after a long period of time for some palaces you create for classes or something.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
SarcasticVlad
Core Member [106%]

This video is relevant.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have to learn how to do these things.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Danielw
Member [02%]

I used to have quite a few palaces to store away different types of information (German vocab, Roman history, facts from random books I was reading at the moment) but then found a more efficient system called GMS (
). I found it easier to remember large amounts of information using the techniques taught here.

In general though, most of the mnemonic techniques I have seen advocated are good. It's basically like a sport, the more you practice the better you get and the more habitual the techniques become. So regardless of the system you use, if you only work at it enough it is bound to be an immense improvement compared to relying on "natural" memory capabilities.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
DesertKnight
Core Member [129%]

What a fascinating idea. I hadn't previously been aware of it, will look into it to see if it is something I can manage. I may be somewhat to focused on singular objectives to construct something like this for myself though.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Cacao
Core Member [138%]
Throug his greatness and understanding ones journey becomes Gods will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C28-TqV-K0Q
MBTI: INTP

Few years ago I started working on a mnemonic system. I have a lot of them, but I do not use them on regular basis. Since there is no reason. However I worked on making some of mine own. I do not write them down since someone might steel the ideas. HEHE.

I played a lot of computer games. I allready posted that in Gaming threads. I played cs1.6 since I was 15 ( I think lol) and I use the maps in this game same way as memory palace. Since I played cs1.6 all the time I have 100s of memories maps in my head. I can use any of them to store any sort of information. Same goes for Day of Defeat. However any game you play can be used. I can essentially use all the ones I played since I can remember them. I also remember my first game I played at a age of 8years DukeNukem - on keyboard of course. I can still remember some maps in a fragmented way. Then of course Doom as well. So far the systems of memorizing are all good, but some are ad hoc and can be used only for one kind of memorizing.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
Lawtey
Member [23%]

Anyone care to share some of their favorite loci/mnemonic/strategies?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #16
Nsanity167
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTx

mine started as my old house, but i extended it, adding rooms from my old school an even older house, and removing annoying parts of it.

i don't use it for school at all, i just memorize poetry that i find cool.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #17
ppu6502
Special Snowflake
MBTI: INTj

I just tried the Chain Method from GMS and it worked really well.

Now the hard part will be remembering to use it.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #18
Left Face Down
Member [03%]

No, to be completely honest I've never really been into mnemonic devices. 99% of the time I just flat out memorize something by brutally beating it into my head through repetition. In an hour or two I can memorize a fairly long list of things. The only problem with this method is once I stop using what ever it is I tend to forget it, unless it is a physical action as I'm primarily a kinesthetic learner. Then it will hang around for a while.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #19
jaydunlavy
New Member [01%]

If you start working with main categories and add then start to either add more rooms or as i do categorize all of the information you know in to a cupboard or wardrobe.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #20
onelove
Member [26%]
MBTI: INfP

Only if you possess spatial intelligence should you use memory palace
Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #21
Crossover
Member [12%]
MBTI: ENTP

I am a spatial thinker, however i m not using it. Or at least using it well.
I do have a “mind palace“ but i don t really use it. Most of the time i don t need it. It s'like evre ideas or thoughts are on a map, if you remember the start or the end, you ll be abble to go a way or another and find the thing you want to remember in the way.

As soon as you understand something you remember it. So of you find the way you ve been to understand it you ll remember.
Of course, i am not talking about our “obvious memory“ but when you try to find something deeper in your mind.

If i have to use it it is to find an old knowledge i haven t been using or thinking about for a while.
I created this place when i was 2, it was for not forgetting anymore how my sister betrayed me (yeah dude ! She stole my favorite feeding bottle with simba on it !). That “place“ evolved and has many parts now. But there is something odd, because sometimes in my life, my dreams use it again to “talk“ to me about something, but it s'often hard to see precisely what, i tried to deduce most of them and i guess it worked somehow ><

Anyway, it is useful but it s'better to use other process of memory just to be sure ! XD

I have a question, it is ok if some of theses places sometimes mooves or change configuration but keep the same meanings, knowledge or piece of memory ?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
Norpiper
Member [28%]

The Tibetan monks have used this method for a very long time. Sort of like visualizing a room full of card catalog drawers.
It would be good if they taught this in school, not all kids would succeed at it but for those who would it would help tremendously.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:24 AM   #23
Liquidgrit
Member [03%]

No mind palace here, seems like an awesome concept but also like kindof a waste creating mouldings and decor and such to me. I have something more along the lines of a gigantic web (though 3D not 2D) with each intersecting line being something important which relates to the next intersection and so on. Its very low graphics almost ms dos kinda stuff but it is very fast to access, can be literally massive and expandable and has the advantage of being able to see related info to draw long chains of connected information which sometimes leads to startling conclusions. Also allows you to easily see how everything IS eventually connected.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
BreathingGloom
Member [03%]
MBTI: Intj

I have one. I use it partly for memories, and partly for creating emotional states. If I'm worked up or super tense I can go into my main room that's really serene. Or I can walk to the pond in the back, and watch the fish. It's interesting, and calming.

I'm trying to find the link, but I can't. But I remember reading about a scientist/inventor who would mentally put himself in prison when working, so that he would stay focused, because there was nothing else for him to do, and there would be nothing else for him to do for a long time. I'm attempting to use this, but it can be difficult. I'd recommend giving it a go if you're interested though.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
Lawtey
Member [23%]

Originally Posted by Left Face Down
No, to be completely honest I've never really been into mnemonic devices. 99% of the time I just flat out memorize something by brutally beating it into my head through repetition. In an hour or two I can memorize a fairly long list of things. The only problem with this method is once I stop using what ever it is I tend to forget it, unless it is a physical action as I'm primarily a kinesthetic learner. Then it will hang around for a while.

Brutish, scratching it into your brain

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 07:12 PM ----------

Here's an example of some pharmo I memorized using MP.

I used a dresser in my room to memorize 6 drugs. It was
. 6 doors total 3 rows of 2. Inside each
I envisaged a
laid out inside in which I used each angle as loci. A seventh loci was placed in the middle of the hexagon to allow me to remember the drug.
This will be confusing I'm sure but try and bear with me.
The loci would begin at about 4 o' clock and make its way counter-clockwise until we got to the sixth loci at 6 o'clock. What they stood in for were the different categories I was attempting to memorize with respect to the drug. Additionally, the categories were alphabetical as long as you started at 4 and worked your way counter-clockwise.
The categories were:

1.Class
2.Contraindications
3.Indications
4.Pharmacodynamics
5.Precautions
6.Side Effects

The 7th Loci was always in the center of the hexagon and served as a beacon for what the drug was. So, a demonstration. I'll choose ASA (Aspirin/Acetasalicylic Acid) as an example and describe what I put at loci 1-6 and in the middle.

1.Class It's a salicylate, an anti-pyretic, an anti-coagulant and an NSAID. To remember this I chose to focus on anti-pyretic, anti-coagulant and NSAID. The loci I chose was a fat computer nerd at his desk with short shorts on, legs purple and extremely swollen due to deep vein thrombosis with a shirt on his desk on fire. Fire relates to pyretic, swollen legs relate to coagulant/blood and fat computer nerd relates to NSAid.

2.Containdications The contraindications are hypersensitivity, bleeding disorders, unconsciousness. I chose to make my loci a
Who's dendrites gave him hands and legs. He is slumped against the angle of corner 2. He has eyes and a mouth. The eyes are shut, as he is unconscious and there is blood coming from his mouth. The neuron is for hypersensitive, the blood is for bleeding disorder, the unconsciousness is for unconsciousness.

3.Indications The indications are ischemic heart pain. For this I chose a
, severed like that with each of the arteries/veins clamped with a
. There is blood pooling under the heart to serve as a memory anchor.

4.Pharmacodynamics The PD are little different than the class. I just used the class loci again here.

5.Precautions The precautions are Hepatic/Renal difficulties, Influenza, active Ulcer disease, and Asthma. I had the letters HRIUA to work with. I made the mnemonic UHAIR for that (weak I know but meh).I was dry on ideas so I envisaged a naked woman who had just given birth and had her child laying outside of her. Rather than an umbilicus, it had a thick strand of blood matted brown hair (if you're versed in the theory, the more absurd the better). This made it stick.

6.Side-Effects The side effects are Heartburn, Nausea, and GI upset. For this I placed a pile of shit next to a pile of puke, added in some smell and placed a heart that was on fire atop the putrid pile. What they each stand for is obvious.

7.Placeholder I just used little blue ASA tabs for this.

Anyone use a system as absurd as this? It works for me but is quite a bit of effort. A quick 2 minutes of revisiting a day for all 7 drugs though and it sticks.