Google Glass(es) None
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
porousshield
Member [26%]
MBTI: INTJ

Those things don't interest me in the slightest. I'll wait for the Google brain implant.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #27
Mantis
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by AnimusDementis
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Anything Google and "flop" don't go in the same sentence.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Google Wave. Just sayin'.

Not everything Google touches turns to gold. They have a lot of good ideas but some of them never reach full potential. Google Chrome though, I think that's the next big thing. Once people stop lying to themselves about their computer usage and give them a try. I was skeptical at first but I've fallen in love with Chromebooks.

Google glasses... I'm on the fence. I really want to like it, but... I don't want ad's beamed directly to my eyeballs all the time. Battery life is going to be shit unless they attach a huge battery, but that will increase the size and weight... Not sure where it's going to go, but I'm happy to watch it do whatever it's going to do. I'd like to have a pair, but I'm not paying 1500 dollars for the chance to play with one.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #28
Causa Mortis
Core Member [148%]
Macro...MACRO!

Potential iPhone killer.
Causa Mortis is online
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #29
Exelone
Veteran Member [66%]
new element added to PERIODIC TABLE :
Name: Girl
Symbol: Gl
Atomic weight: Don't even dare to ask.
Physical properties:

1. Boils at any time,
2. Melts when handled with love
MBTI: ESTP

Originally Posted by Causa Mortis
Potential iPhone killer.

Potential respite from iProducts... ahhhh, sounds good to me.. What about all of you?
Material-Hysteria from both ways; Google and the Apple.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #30
followthehippos
Member [33%]

I've been following Google Glass* for months (NOT Google Glasses) and I see a lot of potential. The main hold up I see with this product is not functionality but appearance. Will every day average people be willing to put a computer on their face which is very obvious to outside observers?

One thing I've noticed is that Google Glass is a hot topic on a lot of tech sites. Heck, even Mark Zuckerberg showed huge enthusiasm for the device asking Sergey Brin in a recent tech conference tons of questions. He was given the opportunity to put them on. Facebook has a team devoted to developing for the glasses. So, I believe in large it'll be accepted by the tech community and I do think it will start to sell well. I think most likely, maybe upon a second version in the coming years, we'll see greater adoption as they are able to hone down the design and make it much more sleek than it already is.

Originally Posted by Mantis
Google Wave. Just sayin'.

Google glasses... I'm on the fence. I really want to like it, but... I don't want ad's beamed directly to my eyeballs all the time. Battery life is going to be shit unless they attach a huge battery, but that will increase the size and weight... Not sure where it's going to go, but I'm happy to watch it do whatever it's going to do. I'd like to have a pair, but I'm not paying 1500 dollars for the chance to play with one.

The technology in Google Wave is considered very successful and even tho Wave was closed down it's implementation can be seen throughout other Google products. The glasses will be less than 1500. That's just the price for the early developer version. But, seeing as it will be released later this year the price will drop.

I think what makes Google a great company is they listen to their users and their developers on how to improve their products. Plus, they keep trying until they get it right. I find it ridiculous how people make a big deal about failed products from any company.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 AM   #31
DesertKnight
Core Member [117%]

I'm such a hardware nerd this really is right up my alley. Functional HUD technology sounds awesome to me.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #32
Zodd
Core Member [199%]
North-Korea Rapejokes Guns Slayer LSD $weetGang$tahAngel Bananus Tits Monte314 USA Nordic-Walking Jesus DownSyndrome boobpoop EurovisionSongFestival Shia Lebeouf
MBTI: xxxx

If this works as good as the commercial makes it out to be it's FUCKING UBERSUPERAWESOME!!!

I dunno how you can not think of it as that.

*make notes by just talking
*make pictures
*look at something, say *wiki*, and it wikis

It will probably be super buggy and such, but the "idea" is great. Imagine if it works, and it gets expanded. Full PC with internet, battery time lasts a whole day, fast internetconnection, very good camera, very good display, incredible soundcard and earplugs, very fast computer, super easy nice awesome software, INTJ forum app!

Ya'll just a bunch of whiny old people.

I really think this is awesome. I never found much appeal in the iPad, because it doesn't have that many functions and it isn't that much easier than a laptop. But this actually is much much much easier than a laptop. And the step from iPad/iPhone to this, is much bigger than the step from laptop to iPad. And the iPad really became much bigger than I expected. So fuck it, I'm on this glass train. WAR GLASS!!!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #33
JYFly
Member [39%]

Really cool! I heard of this last year, interesting to see that it's going to market this soon.

One thing that interests me is how privacy was taken into consideration with the design. It's going to be obvious that if someone is continually tapping on their glasses that they are taking video. Likewise, I assume that the "take a picture" command is going to be the only way to take a picture, which prevents close-up pictures without others' knowledge.

It's only a matter of time before such things will happen discreetly, but I think things like this help to keep the luddites from complaining so the technology can continue to advance.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
Power
Member [07%]

I don't think it will be that great but it is foreshadowing something amazing.
It might not be successful at first but in the long run it will leave it's mark.

Improvements lead to success.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #35
Chosen
Member [08%]
MBTI: XNTJ

Just was searching infi about them and lookie what thread i find. Considering i use google search everywhere im actually very tempted about it.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #36
porousshield
Member [26%]

Originally Posted by JYFly
Really cool! I heard of this last year, interesting to see that it's going to market this soon.

One thing that interests me is how privacy was taken into consideration with the design. It's going to be obvious that if someone is continually tapping on their glasses that they are taking video. Likewise, I assume that the "take a picture" command is going to be the only way to take a picture, which prevents close-up pictures without others' knowledge.

It's only a matter of time before such things will happen discreetly, but I think things like this help to keep the luddites from complaining so the technology can continue to advance.

I never really thought about the privacy issues with these glasses until your post. I imagine if these glasses are the least bit successful all the imitators will come out of the wood work and the tech will become more discrete and than privacy and confidentiality becomes even more of an issue. I wonder how long it'll take before the first cleavage spelunking video is made.

I hope they put in that loud camera sound for any pictures that are taken so someone knows right away if a picture is being taken. Even then people will find ways to disable it.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #37
WeAreAllKosh
Member [39%]

Originally Posted by DesertKnight
I'm such a hardware nerd this really is right up my alley. Functional HUD technology sounds awesome to me.

I'm also excited about a consumer HUD. I don't give a frak about the camera functions, though. Some people want an easier way to create daily "look at my life" micro-entertainment episodes for their web friends/followers. (Look out, GoPro.) I want easier data retrieval.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #38
Ricardo Diaz
Member [32%]
Audentes Fortuna Juvat
MBTI: INTP

This is going to be a game changer. I'd predicted such devices years ago. Lenses would be even cooler than glasses. A true fusion of human and machine. I'm going to miss actual devices like cellphones and computers.

If you can't see how awesome this is then you're an idiot. This essentially makes you a cyborg. A search engine and web browser inside your head.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #39
Zodd
Core Member [199%]
North-Korea Rapejokes Guns Slayer LSD $weetGang$tahAngel Bananus Tits Monte314 USA Nordic-Walking Jesus DownSyndrome boobpoop EurovisionSongFestival Shia Lebeouf

Originally Posted by Ricardo Diaz
I'd predicted such devices years ago. Lenses would be even cooler than glasses.

Years ago? More like decennia ago it should be, I guess. I mean, it seems really obvious that as computers advance, and can recognize stuff, and programming advances it is bound to happen. I didn't expect it so soon, though. Wether this google glass is going to work or not doesn't matter, it will come eventually. Simply because it is so easy. Only evolution that could really make it popular I guess is battery power and making smaller videocameras. I think even digital cameras need a big lense to have high resolution, even if the rest of the hardware is in your pocket or smartphone. I don't really know any good examples of sci-fi, or writings about it, but I'm pretty sure that 30 years ago they already thought apparatus like this would be inevitable.

Some cool pics just for awesomeness:

Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
Distance
Core Member [552%]
Slacker, the shadow gen.
MBTI: eNTj

It's actually an interesting business decision for Google, since they own youtube.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #41
Jinxu
Banned

MBTI: InTj

Imaging being able to bake a cake or fix a toilet without having to pick up a smartphone in order to read the direction. Navigating through the woods with the GPS on. Or on the Highway without looking down at a screen. I see nothing much has changed. Heh.

Limitations I see will be how much power and ssd space they can pack into a glass. That'll be the deciding factor for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #42
Ricardo Diaz
Member [32%]
Audentes Fortuna Juvat
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by Jinxu
Imaging being able to bake a cake or fix a toilet without having to pick up a smartphone in order to read the direction. Navigating through the woods with the GPS on. Or on the Highway without looking down at a screen. I see nothing much has changed. Heh.

Limitations I see will be how much power and ssd space they can pack into a glass. That'll be the deciding factor for me.

There will need to be a chip & battery too. My guess is that at least initially there will be a "backend" device in your pocket or belt and the glass communicates with that purely as a HUD.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #43
followthehippos
Member [33%]

Google Glass will use 3g/4g signal from you cellphone but has built in gps.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #44
MrDoom
Member [18%]

I don't see what all the fuss is over fashion aesthetics; at any rate they're a cut above
:

However, if I do get one of these, it's certainly not running the stock software, that's for sure.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #45
Causa Mortis
Core Member [148%]
Macro...MACRO!

The technology in Google Wave is considered very successful and even tho Wave was closed down it's implementation can be seen throughout other Google products. The glasses will be less than 1500. That's just the price for the early developer version. But, seeing as it will be released later this year the price will drop.

I think what makes Google a great company is they listen to their users and their developers on how to improve their products. Plus, they keep trying until they get it right. I find it ridiculous how people make a big deal about failed products from any company.

If they finance it with a cell/4g equivalent contract and sell it for $500 a pop, I think it puts a huge dent in the iPhone. I'd get one in a SECOND.

Enhanced reality is here bitches, physical scarcity and ugliness are short-run phenomenon.

Causa Mortis is online
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #46
MrFlaneur
Veteran Member [62%]
Mein Führer! I can walk!
MBTI: INTj

What do you do if your already wearing a pair of specs? Can i get google glass with an eye prescription? This is what puts me off 3d at the cineview: i always look like a right prick with my 3d glasses over my normal glasses.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
bobabrowncoat
Core Member [321%]
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

They have no lenses.

bobabrowncoat is online
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #48
Sk8ordude
Veteran Member [66%]

This the future, it will probably be next to mandatory in 2 years.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #49
Hottentot
Member [02%]
"Discourse on virtue and they pass by in droves, whistle and dance the shimmy, and you've got an audience." // Diogenes

More zombies.
Can't wait to see people smashing their faces in trees.