How many friends do you have? None
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #76
Belfast
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTX

I have 2 close friends, although I'm not very open with them when it comes to sharing experiences/thoughts and whatnot. I consider like 6 or 8 more people from college good friends as well, but I don't hang out with them too much (other than in college itself).

I guess my brother is also a good friend, since I talk more stuff with him than with anyone else

Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #77
Underachiever
Veteran Member [89%]
"Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to."
MBTI: INTJ

Maybe 5.

-Counts on my fingers-
Yeah, 5. All of my friends are interesting; there are only two I really enjoy talking to all of the time, though... And one of those friends, I like as more than a friend, so that's why. But anyway, I can't tolerate many people for very long... But I can tolerate all of them.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #78
holdyourhead
Veteran Member [79%]
Some days all I can be fucked to say is "fuck that".

Answered in these threads before, but no true friends and no physical acquantances that I get along well with and communicate with frequently. The closest I've had in the past 12 years (after cutting off from the school friends I'd had) is a couple of people at my old workplace that I eventually used to talk with a fair amount, and then a handful of others that I would talk with occasionally. The rest of the 100s of people there I would almost never talk to, and a number of the people I frequently worked with directly were arrogant, complete assholes, or lazy fuckers.

Of the two people I connected with the most, I had still kept in contact with one of them, up until late last year. It had then been a while and I thought that's probably the end of that. I'd kinda run out of things to say to her at that time and so hadn't been responding to some of her text messages. She'd contacted me again the other day though, and I sent a substantial reply to which I got one in return. I don't know if she can really be classed as a friend. Yes, we got along well and had fun, but only at work. I never saw her outside of work and although she was always trying to get me to go to things outside of work, I would always turn down the offer or request and make excuses. Usually because of either other people from work that would be there if it was a colleague-based social thing, or simply because I knew I wouldn't have much to talk about with her outside of work in social environments and for prolonged periods. It has been over a year since I last saw her now, after I transferred to a different location.

Anyway, this was her most recent message..

Bonjour nice to hear from you !!! Delevery the job is ok but is the managers omg u wnt belive it they are worse than gangster the revision they did is shit and they blame on us !!! Collection is cool Iam the queen ! And now I improve my skill I can do hitchin coll soon will be the queen lol thanks to u !!! I had the best teacher !!! Shame Dnt c yr face !!! I hope yr new project will work and don't forget about us if u need extra employers !! Ps u will never change with the overtime yr are the king for that les and I we try to beat u is impossible !! Xxx o do u remember rick he say hi !! And how are I ??? He miss the good time we had on nite on the bank every Fridays

Just thought I'd add there is one person at my new location that I'm now certain I went to school with, and have worked with a few times. We were friends for a while when I was about 12 or 13. He hasn't recognised me and I only know who he is from finding out his name. It's probably a good thing. I don't like the person I was when I was young.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #79
JoeFerg
New Member [01%]

Close friends: 3
People that I spend a lot of time with and enjoy their company: maybe 10
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #80
machacatrov
Member [06%]

No "friends".
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #81
Hefelgar
Member [22%]

0 friend. I do have some acquaintances that I've met in real-life which I may talk to on a monthly basis, and perhaps only a single person over the internet which I talk to fairly often, but it's mostly small talk about news of shared hobbies.

Partly my fault though and I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #82
SarcasticVlad
Core Member [108%]

No real friends. I use the word friends online a lot because it's easy to use, but what I actually have are acquaintances. People that I once considered friends can rot in a hole as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #83
mars1893
New Member [01%]

How are you defining friends?
If you are talking about very close friends you can talk about anything to, I would say maybe at max one.
Then for normal friends I would have to say maybe two.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #84
Dinah
Member [06%]
MBTI: INtj

Three who I believe will stick with me for life. A few others are getting there.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #85
DexterCJ
New Member [01%]

True friends? Probably around 10. Many acquaintances and buddies, and of course, people that I once thought were friends but ended up forgetting.

Quick note about friends: Never deny someone's friendship. Be open minded and kind to everyone you can and life will be easier on you (in my opinion anyways). Sometimes we try to look for the "perfect" friends but end up failing.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #86
JK06
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INFP

My husband, my kids, my parents. My sisterinlaw, my nephew. Not very many but enough to keep me perfectly happy and not too lonely.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #87
PhysicsFTW
New Member [01%]

I belive you can only have 1-3 true friends, others are just acquaintances. I have 2 friends.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #88
varg
Member [05%]

MBTI: XXXX

Zero. Sometimes I wish I just had a real one.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #89
KeithP
Member [26%]

I have about 3-4 friends I hang out with on a weekly basis. Then I've another 5 friends whom I grew up with that I do not need to see/talk to for extended periods of time, but they know me best, I know them best, and those relationships will never die.

If you count work, I've got like 70 acquaintances. I think my FB friends list is around 150 people... and I think I've only maybe 4-5 people from work on it. It's ,ostly people I've met through travels, high school, college, etc.

*shrug*
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #90
kintsukuroi
Veteran Member [63%]
MBTI: IntJ

Friends: 3
Acquaintances: 11
Non-acquaintances I interact with regularly or semi-regularly: 29
facebook friends: 47
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #91
lkso
Veteran Member [52%]

Originally Posted by PhysicsFTW
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I belive you can only have 1-3 true friends, others are just acquaintances. I have 2 friends.

Yes, this is correct. The maximum number of real/true friends at any point in time is 2-3, usually just 1-2, and sometimes 0.

Most people don't discern the difference between a real friend and an acquaintance, which can lead to problems when one expects reciprocation of friendship when there isn't a friendship to begin with.

"In the United States, friendship is a more loosely based term. From the time children enter elementary school, most teachers and adults call every other peer they have a "friend" and in most classrooms, or any social setting, children are dictated as to how to behave with their friends, and are told who their friends are. This leaves for a very different base for what a friend should actually be (Stout 2010). This type of open approach to friendship, has made it so many Americans, adolescents in particular, have taken on the term "best friend". (Stout 2010). Many psychologists have deemed this term as dangerous for American children. This term is so dangerous because it allows for discrimination and groups to form, which causes for bullying in many American schools (Stout 2010)."

The article continues, and provides a rather illuminating view on American "friendship".

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lkso is online
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #92
EmpLanserd
Member [04%]

i keep wondering about that.i heard the word "friend" a lot of time but what
define someone as a friend? i believe each person is single and we just make contract by the name "friend".
this contract states that each person must respect and be fair to the other.
emotions are just an illusion,it's all about profit,that's what i think.
profit can come into many ways not only material type of profit.some people search for "friend"
to get-rid of their loneliness,boredom...etc.just another view of profit.another bad joke.
so maybe "friend" is something deeper than that.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #93
Direct
Member [07%]

I've got 6 close friends, unfortunately I don't get to see them very often as they are geographically distributed. At times this number has been greater until their actions caused me to cut them out of my life, but these 6 I'm confident I will be friends with until I leave this world.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #94
Deprecator
Member [10%]

MBTI: ISTJ

Friends... as in people who would hang out with me in real life? Zero. If I desired a social companion for the movies, lunch, bar or anything else then I'd be SOL. Although to be fair, this could be somewhat related to my inclination towards solitude and the fact that I moved recently.

At the same time, I have made a few online-gaming buddies and last time I called a few of my ex gfs they were willing to talk to me.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #95
AnotherDaySoon
New Member [01%]

Someone who truly understands me and doesn't come with the risk of backstabbing. 0.

Friends I spend time with regularly 2.

LT Friends that I speak to in bursts 2.

Acquaintanceship that I would be interested in testing the waters with no more than 5.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #96
Naveed
New Member [01%]

I have two friends on which I can trust.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #97
Elenath
New Member [01%]

I've got only 2, my older sister and my best friend since I was 6 years old. Although they're both on the other side of the world now.

The only reason why they're my friends is because they became a nondetachable part of my life; they're both family. Otherwise, I'm never interested in making friends; but if I ever want to exist in somebody's life, there has to be a good reason for it to happen (i.e: if I can help that person, make his or her life better), and once I've done my job (i.e: helped, left a positive impact on the person's life) and if that person is somewhere away, I literally disappear from his or her life, for there's no meaning in my existence in it anymore and communicating will just be a waste of time.

You may or may not think this is weird, but that's me.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #98
Espadrille
Core Member [646%]
Mind matters.
MBTI: ISFP

None, depending on the definition of course.

---------- Post added 03-11-2013 at 06:28 PM ----------

I am friendly with dozens of people on both side of the Atlantic, however.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #99
Looksupordown
Banned

I'm reinstalling the 10 year waiting period before handing out that title; so, I'm down to 3.5.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #100
Chimera
Member [07%]
MBTI: INTx

Why don't we have more friends?
Sorry, this question kind of makes my brain hurt.
Seems kind of rude.