SAT prep? None
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Paji eh Wong
Member [20%]

MBTI: INXJ

Hello

I'm thinking about getting into the SAT test prep market as a part time job to make some extra money, and I am doing some research. Currently, I am out in the wilds of China, and having a hard time getting good intel on the subject. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Questions for students:
If you've done test prep classes or tutoring, was it helpful? Why or why not?
Would you refer other people to your program or tutor?
What did you look for in a class/tutor?

Questions for teachers:
How did you get into the market?
What kind of training did you get?
What kind of teachers do well?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Daoist
Core Member [129%]
MBTI: INTP

I know it's a really big market in China. Good money for a while, although you hit a ceiling eventually. I guess a few years ago the next step would be to take that money and start your own school, but the market's starting to get pretty saturated.

I did it myself for about three weeks. My school was fairly professional, and gave me some good feedback. I personally wouldn't have considered it were it not subject area classes - I don't like teaching English.

You can PM me with other questions. A quick helpful hint: find the Koreans.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Antares
Core Member [230%]
MBTI: INTJ

Originally Posted by Paji eh Wong
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hello

I'm thinking about getting into the SAT test prep market as a part time job to make some extra money, and I am doing some research. Currently, I am out in the wilds of China, and having a hard time getting good intel on the subject. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Questions for students:
If you've done test prep classes or tutoring, was it helpful? Why or why not?
Would you refer other people to your program or tutor?
What did you look for in a class/tutor?

Questions for teachers:
How did you get into the market?
What kind of training did you get?
What kind of teachers do well?

I did a prep program but in all honesty I never listened in class and kept doing my own thing (a novel under the desk). The only thing it did for me was make me practice (a full exam every morning for 8 whole days). I think practice is the key. If you're a complete idiot at multiple choice, then the class might help.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Paji eh Wong
Member [20%]

MBTI: INXJ

Originally Posted by Antares
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I did a prep program but in all honesty I never listened in class and kept doing my own thing (a novel under the desk). The only thing it did for me was make me practice (a full exam every morning for 8 whole days). I think practice is the key. If you're a complete idiot at multiple choice, then the class might help.

Thanks for the input.

Why did you do the class? Did your parents sign you up for it?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Thinktress
Veteran Member [53%]
Give someone enough rope and they'll either make a ladder or a noose.
MBTI: INTJ

I'm pretty much an autodidact, so when I prep for tests, I rely on manuals that give questions similar to those in the test, so I know what types of questions for which to prepare. I might buy the online proctored version of a test to take while I'm preparing, but I wouldn't take a class. I would read the book on the class, though.

That said, most students are probably not into teaching themselves. I would think this would be a good industry. I'd like more info on it myself.

And if you ever DO get into the industry and you make up test questions? Try clearing up those muddy questions - disambiguate a little. THAT would be a helpful service.