Autism causes None
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
plotthickens
Core Member [862%]
Don't stick beans up your nose.
MBTI: INTJ

Linking autism to the fun things we all enjoy every day.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mount Sinai Children's Environmental Health Center Publishes a List of the Top Ten Toxic Chemicals Suspected to Cause Autism and Learning Disabilities

An editorial published today in the prestigious journal Environmental Health Perspectives calls for increased research to identify possible environmental causes of autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders in America's children and presents a list of ten target chemicals including which are considered highly likely to contribute to these conditions.

CEHC developed the list of ten chemicals found in consumer products that are suspected to contribute to autism and learning disabilities to guide a research strategy to discover potentially preventable environmental causes. The top ten chemicals are:
1. Lead
2. Methylmercury
3. PCBs
4. Organophosphate pesticides
5. Organochlorine pesticides
6. Endocrine disruptors
7. Automotive exhaust
8. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
9. Brominated flame retardants
10. Perfluorinated compounds

And:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"A Research Strategy to Discover the Environmental Causes of Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities"

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Frosted
Banned

MBTI: INTj

I'm sure the oils spills and radiation leaks into the ocean will help to subside the increase in autism.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Doggzilla
Veteran Member [85%]

In the old day they called those afflicted with Aspergers "reserved", and respected them for their abilities and respected their personal space. Now they are nuts because they dont like the company of scumbag Steve and Paris Hilton. Sigh.
Doggzilla is online
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
plotthickens
Core Member [862%]

Originally Posted by Doggzilla
In the old day they called those afflicted with Aspergers "reserved", and respected them for their abilities and respected their personal space. Now they are nuts because they dont like the company of scumbag Steve and Paris Hilton. Sigh.

Actually they called them "slow" and frequently named them "much", as in "not much". Pre-industrialized literature contains many such references. They were down's syndrome, Asperger's and other mental retardation sufferers. They typically were bread-bakers, garbage-sifters and floor-sweepers, jobs that today we have replaced with mechanism and skilled laborers.

[HIDE="Not simple tasks anymore"]

[/HIDE]

If the per capita incidence of Autism Spectrum Disorders had remained steady throughout these decades in which we can diagnose for it, then we would know that there has been no increase. But this is not the case. Incidences of Autism are still increasing at a huge rate.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Latro
Veteran Member [88%]

MBTI: INTP

How much of that can you attribute to changes in diagnostic practices?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
thod
Restricted [forum rules]

They have just produced a list. When these things are eliminated from the environment and it does nothing they will pick another list. Yet it should be easy enough to eliminate these factors by looking at regions where they are not present. It reminds of the theory that pollution causes asthma. However Eastern Europe was very polluted but had low asthma. I suspect that the autism angle is being hijacked by the green movement to get these chemicals eliminated.

One of the more interesting facts I have read is the high autism rate around silicon valley. IT work tends to lend itself well to those slightly autistic. These then go on to have autistic children.
thod is online
Old 05-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
paleoeco
Core Member [109%]
I really dislike people who use sesquipedalian words.

Originally Posted by Latro

Researchers at the CDC have said (though perhaps not published) when looking at the increase in incidence AND accounting for (1) broadening of definition, (2) better diagnositic tools, and (3) increased scrutiny/knowledge, there still is an increasing number of cases of autism.

(As a former Board Liaison for an autism treatment facility with CDC autism researchers on the Scientific Board, I've been present at many discussions about this specific topic)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Latro
Veteran Member [88%]

Originally Posted by paleoeco
Researchers at the CDC have said (though perhaps not published) when looking at the increase in incidence AND accounting for (1) broadening of definition, (2) better diagnositic tools, and (3) increased scrutiny/knowledge, there still is an increasing number of cases of autism.

(As a former Board Liaison for an autism treatment facility with CDC autism researchers on the Scientific Board, I've been present at many discussions about this specific topic)

Interesting. Could you refer me to any sources on this?

(I should say that I wasn't saying "no you're wrong", I was saying "that seems like a drastic trend, what about this?")

Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Nightmare
Member [29%]
MBTI: INFP

Some time ago on NPR I remember they were talking about newborn vaccines and how they may correlate with autism...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
mormeguil
Member [32%]
MBTI: Intj

How much this map is worth i'm not sure. But it does seem that no environemental effect correlate with the amount of autism. The difference seem to be most likely cultural.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
Arcanist
Suspended

MBTI: xxxx

I like how my state has no data.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
Subgenius
Banned

Originally Posted by Arcanist
I like how my state has no data.

Well, at least we know you aren't a retard now, and you have proof. My state, seemingly, has tons.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #13
phoboser
Veteran Member [60%]
MBTI: ISTJ

I favor the theories that the the increase in autism is the result of 1) a relaxing of the diagnostic criteria, and 2)

Its high heritability disfavors environmental causes.

About those environmental chemicals... my guess is that they aren't likely to be the cause because the abnormal neuron migration in the cortex associated with autism has to be the result of something that exerts its effect throughout the entire process.

A flaw in the code can plausibly do that because it should affect events throughout the entire developmental process. An environmental chemical or chemical group? Sure, but why does autism hit one child out of all the others in the same SES who are exposed to the same chemicals? And why is it more common in upper SES families who are more protected/protective against environmental assaults than lower SES families?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
zibber
Core Member [509%]
2nrcssst

Originally Posted by phoboser
I favor the theories that the the increase in autism is the result of 1) a relaxing of the diagnostic criteria, and 2)

About those environmental chemicals... my guess is that they aren't likely to be the cause because the abnormal neuron migration in the cortex associated with autism has to be the result of something that exerts its effect throughout the entire process.

Read the article. The genetic component often plays a role, but many environmental factors may be present. Guessing and Wired links aside.

zibber is online
Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
phoboser
Veteran Member [60%]
MBTI: ISTJ

Originally Posted by zibber
Read the article. The genetic component often plays a role, but many environmental factors may be present.

Uh, yes I know.

An environmental chemical or chemical group? Sure

How's this?

About those environmental chemicals... my guess is that they aren't likely to be [an important] cause [of the increase in autism diagoses].

Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
thod
Restricted [forum rules]

Well, homo sapiens cannot last forever. Perhaps we are witnessing the birth of homo superior (homo geekus).
thod is online
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
plotthickens
Core Member [862%]

Uh, yes I know.
How's this?

An environmental chemical or chemical group? Sure, but why does autism hit one child out of all the others in the same SES who are exposed to the same chemicals? And why is it more common in upper SES families who are more protected/protective against environmental assaults than lower SES families?

No, really, read the article and the study. It doesn't talk about what the CHILD is exposed to, it talks about what the MOTHER was exposed to during the first trimester. Therefore all the high-pesticide foods, such as fruits and yuppie veg and bottom-dwelling expensive sushi fish and gorgeous manmade synthetics and having your hair done and bug-free everything and fire-retardant everything might have just a wee little something to do with it.

Also: the list of suspect chemicals starts with LEAD. I notice that everyone is kind of ignoring that, skipping it and going to cherry-pick attack the rest of the list. OOoookay.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
paleoeco
Core Member [109%]
I really dislike people who use sesquipedalian words.

Interesting. Could you refer me to any sources on this?

(I should say that I wasn't saying "no you're wrong", I was saying "that seems like a drastic trend, what about this?")

Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
LadySpock
Veteran Member [60%]

I am thinking that a lot of it can.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Latro
Veteran Member [88%]

Originally Posted by LadySpock
I am thinking that a lot of it can.

Evidently so, but also that a lot of it can't. I haven't read all three of paleoeco's links, but the first one says this:

Based on the abovementioned research, approximately 53% percent of the increase in autism prevalence over time may be explained by changes in diagnosis (26%), greater awareness (16%), and an increase in parental age (11%).

Old 05-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
ummon
Core Member [105%]

Originally Posted by Doggzilla

It's still the norm in non-Western countries to reserved people. Sadly though, other cultures are starting to pick up the more scumbag aspects of our culture.

A flaw in the code can plausibly do that because it should affect events throughout the entire developmental process. An environmental chemical or chemical group? Sure, but why does autism hit one child out of all the others in the same SES who are exposed to the same chemicals? And why is it more common in upper SES families who are more protected/protective against environmental assaults than lower SES families?

Yeah there are a lot of things (such as cancer) whose increases are caused largely by chemical environmental changes, but autism probably isn't one of them. It's due primarily to assortative mating, over-diagnosis, and over-expression of autism due to bad family support during the childhood. That's not to say environmental factors don't play a role, (lead poisoning won't do you any good), but I certainly don't see a smoking gun.

Evidently so, but also that a lot of it can't. I haven't read all three of paleoeco's links, but the first one says this:

Based on the abovementioned research, approximately 53% percent of the increase in autism prevalence over time may be explained by changes in diagnosis (26%), greater awareness (16%), and an increase in parental age (11%).

You can thank the feminists for that.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
Noelle
Member [22%]
MBTI: INFJ

I'm still not convinced that Aspergers is a 'disorder.' I've met several people with Aspergers and I find them to be much better 'people' than a lot of the people who claim to be normal.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
Espadrille
Core Member [648%]
Mind matters.
MBTI: ISFP

Originally Posted by ummon
It's still the norm in non-Western countries to reserved people. Sadly though, other cultures are starting to pick up the more scumbag aspects of our culture.

Yeah there are a lot of things (such as cancer) whose increases are caused largely by chemical environmental changes, but autism probably isn't one of them. It's due primarily to assortative mating, over-diagnosis, and over-expression of autism due to bad family support during the childhood. That's not to say environmental factors don't play a role, (lead poisoning won't do you any good), but I certainly don't see a smoking gun.

This also is an environmental factor. You cannot separate the chemical from the social environment.

You can thank the feminists for that.

But thankfully only 11%

---------- Post added 05-05-2012 at 04:21 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Noelle Winters
I'm still not convinced that Aspergers is a 'disorder.' I've met several people with Aspergers and I find them to be much better 'people' than a lot of the people who claim to be normal.

When I enumerate for people the main characteristics of autism, from the DSM 5, the response is often that I am describing a lot of people they know. Socalled ordinary people, particularly men, who more often than women have difficulties with freeflowing conversations, taking the initiative in relationship activities, etc.

Or could that be straight men? I don't know if there is data on any correlation between autism and gender identity.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #24
Thinktress
Veteran Member [53%]
Give someone enough rope and they'll either make a ladder or a noose.

I am fully in agreement with you on this one. In our family we have no autism. We have reams of ADHD and ADD.

The very definition of autism has been changed within the past two decades - and it is about to change again. Every change causes the inclusion or disinclusion of many people.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #25
plotthickens
Core Member [862%]

I find it interesting that there are so many naysayers on this thread. Are ya'all advocating that pregnant women eat lead?